starving in the middle of the night!

MaggieM

Hi I am on my sixth day of the Whole30.  I have been eating three meals and following the guidelines for each meal.  I eat until I'm full.  In fact, at dinner, I try to eat until I'm really full.  I have been waking up at night between 1:00am and 2:30am each night STARVING.  I am so hungry that I cannot fall back asleep.  Last night, I decided that I had to eat something because the sleep was more important.  So at 1:00 am, I ate two spoonfuls of almond butter and a grapefruit.  What should I be doing to prevent this?  I don't want to eat until I'm stuffed and uncomfortable at dinner...  Thanks for your help!

Follow the meal template and make sure you have your fats, as those help keep you feeling satisfied. 

If you are so hungry you can't sleep, eat a mini meal of protein, fat and veggies in the same proportions as your template meal. At the least, have protein + fat or protein + veggies. Don't eat fruit and/or nuts and nut butters as a snack! These can derail you and keep you from getting adapted to three meals a day. Eat fruit as part of a meal. If you're really hungry before your next meal eat a mini meal (and don't eat too close to your next scheduled meal).

Do you workout a lot? If yes, are you also getting pre/post workout food?

What time are you eating dinner and what time are you going to bed?

I'd try eating a mini meal or at least protein and fat a little bit before bed, as long as there is at least a little room between dinner and bedtime. Also, I'd try to make sure you're well hydrated in the evening.

Archived