Picking a start date

OncoRN

Hi everyone!  I'm looking to start Whole30 within the next two weeks. I'm from the Philadelphia area, 29 years old, and work as a clinical research trials nurse in oncology.

I have done WW in the past and had great success on it and lost 40 lbs.  That was about 6 years ago and I kept it off for 5 years.  In between that time, I got diagnosed with MS. 

Besides the MS, I'm having some skin issues and GI problems.

I decided I wanted to give this a shot and see what it did for me.

My husband and I already got rid of everything that I thought would be non-compliant.

I'm struggling with figuring out what I'm going to be eating for breakfast. Normally, I was eating a slice of toast (obviously out) and peanut butter (out too) with a banana.

I have been eating mostly salads with protein/avocado the last 3 days while I try to figure out recipes that could work for me and my husband :)

• Moderators

Hi!

It can be helpful to stop thinking in terms of breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and think of them as Meal1, Meal2, and Meal3 -- anything you can eat for one meal, can eat for any other meal. So you could do traditional breakfast foods like eggs, sausage, and vegetables, or you could have leftovers, or meatballs, or soup -- just make a meal that looks like the meal template, and try to eat it within an hour of waking up, then have your next meal 4-5 hours later, and another 4-5 hours after that.  Here's a discussion with lots of examples of non-egg breakfast foods, if you need more ideas.

Mel Joulwan's Well Fed site has a ton of recipes, mostly Whole30 compliant. Her oven baked salmon cakes are an excellent breakfast choice if you don't want eggs, they freeze well so you can make them ahead, and are good reheated or cold. Nom Nom Paleo is another good recipe site -- definitely pay attention though, while she has a lot of Whole30 recipes, she also has some that include dairy or sweeteners that wouldn't be. If you need more options, all of the recipes on Whole Life Eating are Whole30 compliant as well.

Salads are fine if you like them, but there are plenty of other options out there. And remember that you don't necessarily need recipes. Bake or grill chicken, brown some ground beef or form it into burger patties, pick whichever vegetables look best at the grocery store and stir-fry, steam, or roast them.

Archived