Slow Reintroduction One Food at a Time?

kfmfe04

I will start my reintroductions four days from today.

Rather than reintroducing groups of foods, has anyone reintroduced new foods one at a time?

I'm actually more curious as to how I would react to certain foods rather than food categories.  For example, I suspect that I may react very differently to milk or to different types of cheeses.  Similarly, my reaction to certain grains (gluten and non-gluten) may be different.  I would like to try pasta and sourdough on different days.  It'll take longer, but maybe doing one food at a time and keeping a food journal will result in better clarity.  

Any comments with your experiences with this approach would be greatly appreciated.

- Ken

Yep, lots of people decide to go this route, and personally I think it's the better option because the proteins in each food (which is what causes the reaction) will be different.

A lot of people take the 'I'll cross that bridge when I come to it'  approach, but I think it still needs some planning, and journalling will really help.

Let us know how you get on.

Thank you for the thoughtful responses.

After Tuesday, I will definitely journal all the non-W30 foods that I eat (only one per day if I'm cooking at home, but may break this rule for social purposes or for eating out, but even then, I will journal).  For any non-W30 food item, I will track them in a journal.  The plan is to rate each food, on some numeric scale, in terms of "how good does it taste this time" vs "adverse responses" (so I can determine "is it worth it?").  I'll also journal any non-W30 ingredients.  I'll have to come up with some kind of system where I can bucket W30 foods, non-W30 no reaction (ok to eat), non-W30 medium reaction (avoid if possible), and non-W30 avoid-at-all-costs.

Meanwhile, I will keep doing W30 for two day gaps - I think eating W30 is a great habit, so I don't stray-too-far.  I'll share the data once I get a meaningful pile of information - maybe it'll help others come up with their own approach to life after W30.

Sounds like a plan. Don't forget that if you DO have a reaction, you should allow AT LEAST two days of Whole30 and you may need more if your reaction was severe.

Also, remember not to repeat any reintroduced food during your reintroduction. Otherwise, you can't separate out what's causing a reaction: the newly reintroduced food, or the newly reintroduced food in combination with a previously reintroduced food.

Remember, this is your experiment of one!

• 3 weeks later...

I am also thinking of using this approach when transitioning. The only food I really want to add back is Cheese. I have decided I will not use the highly processed cheese "products".  No plastic  wrapped slices or bags of shredded stuff.  just the real thing.  otherwise, I plan to stay on Whole30 for another 30 days.  All this of course depends on the reaction I get from adding back cheese for a day.  

• 2 weeks later...

Archived