Tessamae's Ketchup OK?

Brighty

The Tessamae catsup is the only Tessamae product I use. It IS tangy but it looks and tastes delicous (to me) and it has that catsup-y mouth feel. Try out a bottle, and if you like it you can get a six pack with a discount and free shipping from Tessamae.

• Moderators

I haven't tried the Tessamae's ketchup, but keep in mind you may not find a ketchup you like because what you are used to is sweetened, and unless you're making your own with dates or something, you won't find a compliant, sweet ketchup. 

You may want to get some Tessamae's regardless, because your tastes will change during your Whole30.

Try switching up your burger topping -- instead of ketchup, use caramelized onions, avocado, a little homemade mayo. DIVINE.

You can do this!

Tessemae's has a compliant mayo which is delicious and a total lifesaver because I'm not seriously going to make my own! I couldn't live without the classic ranch dressing. I put it on everything!!!!! We make a lot of chicken nuggets with almond meal and coconut flakes and use both the ranch and the hot sauce as dippers. When we aren't doing the whole30 we go through a honey mustard each week...seriously! 

Making mayo is actually ridiculously easy.  Much faster and cheaper than going to the store and buying some.  http://thegoldengrahamgirl.com/2015/12/07/how-to-make-mayonnaise-at-home/

I'd be wary of those chicken nuggets.  If you're coming from a background of the commercially-prepared "Frankenfood" chicken nuggets, it might be time to sever that love relationship.  Almond meal is NOT an optimal source of fat and is recommended to be eaten in limited quantities.  Hopefully this is just a once a week thing (at most) - there are so many other protein sources to work with and variety is key to getting all of the nutrients you need.

Cheers,

-Lauren (GGG)

• Moderators

Making mayo is actually ridiculously easy.  Much faster and cheaper than going to the store and buying some.  http://thegoldengrahamgirl.com/2015/12/07/how-to-make-mayonnaise-at-home/

I'd be wary of those chicken nuggets.  If you're coming from a background of the commercially-prepared "Frankenfood" chicken nuggets, it might be time to sever that love relationship.  Almond meal is NOT an optimal source of fat and is recommended to be eaten in limited quantities.  Hopefully this is just a once a week thing (at most) - there are so many other protein sources to work with and variety is key to getting all of the nutrients you need.

Cheers,

-Lauren (GGG)

Really, honestly true. It is faster and crazy easy. Caveats: Use a stick/wand/hand blender and a mason jar (or other narrow vessel). I don't even do the "slow drizzle" anymore, I put ALL of the ingredients in a mason jar at once, put my stick blender all the way at the bottom, start whirring, and oh-so-sloooowly work my way up. Scrape off the mayo goodness and screw the lid on. DONE!

Seriously two minutes of work. And insanely delicious.

Tessemae's products are awesome -- when doing the Whole30 or when your just looking for a way to enhance any meal.  

It's basically home made sauce, but they make it for you.  No ingredients that you cannot pronounce.  No bad stuff.

They have Dressings, Marinades, Condiments - the BBQ is awesome, kind of more like an A1 or NC style than the sweet (AKA LOADED WITH SUGAR) type of BBQ sauce you find in most stores.  Here are my top ways to use Tessemae's during the Whole 30:

• Lemon Garlic marinated Chicken Breasts
  • Balsamic Glazed Salmon 
  • Caesar Salad -- um, hello people their caesar dressing is DAIRY FREE, MADE WITH COCONUT MILK
  • BBQ Burger (no bread) with an egg on top - boom  :rolleyes:

For anyone reading this and wondering what a Tessemae is, they make a number of dressings and condiments that are Whole30 compliant:

http://www.tessemaes.com/collections/all/whole30-approved

They also make some other ones they are great post-Whole30, but are not compliant due to ingredients like soy & honey, so if you're buying, make sure you buy one you can have :)

Also, if you're buying online, there's a discount code NEWBIE, but not sure how long it'll last for.

I'm in the first week of my second W30, and my local Whole Foods now stocks a variety of Tessamae's products. I bought the Chesapeake mayo (they were out of regular) and the ketchup the other day. The mayo is quite good. It is definitely thicker than any mayo I've had before, but I will definitely buy it again. I'd like to try the regular, though the Chesapeake seasoning is really nice. 

I'm not loving the ketchup to be honest. It tastes and smells overwhelmingly of cider vinegar to me. That's really all I can pick up from it. I'll probably stick with making my own ketchup from now on. That said, I am looking forward to trying their other products!

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered some caesar dressing and am having a hard time getting it out of the bottle. It's like paste and it takes me longer to find something skinny enough to poke it out of the bottle than it does to make my salad. Is it supposed to be like this, or should I contact someone at the company?

I bought the Southwestern Ranch the other day, and right out of the fridge I have to shake it/warm it up with my hands a little to get it going, or let it sit out for a few minutes before using. 

I also wanted to mention that the ketchup has grown on me. I just use it in smaller quantities than I'm used to, almost like you would a hot sauce. I've also used it as a base for other things. I combined about a Tbsp with a little mustard and a splash of water and mixed it with some pulled pork I was heating up, and it was delicious! 

I just purchased a whole30 Tessemae kit on Amazon. It had the ketchup, bbq sauce, lot of their dressings. They all taste great. They are not what we are used to though (the ketchup, BBQ sauce, ranch) but they have their own unique and tasty flavor. I think the kit was worth it ($40) because there were a lot included like one called Chesapeake something that tastes so good on seafood, lemon garlic, black pepper vingerette, vesty ranch, ranch, balsamic, etc. All fresh and tasty. I love condiments so getting this was my saving grace.  

The regular Ranch is terribly difficult to get out of the bottle and I don't like the taste of it on its own, but mixed up with a giant bowl of ever-so-slightly damp vegetables, it tastes good as a salad dressing. Can't say I'll ever use it as a marinade or dip, though. 

I just purchased a whole30 Tessemae kit on Amazon. It had the ketchup, bbq sauce, lot of their dressings. They all taste great. They are not what we are used to though (the ketchup, BBQ sauce, ranch) but they have their own unique and tasty flavor. I think the kit was worth it ($40) because there were a lot included like one called Chesapeake something that tastes so good on seafood, lemon garlic, black pepper vingerette, vesty ranch, ranch, balsamic, etc. All fresh and tasty. I love condiments so getting this was my saving grace.  

I do love their Chesapeake mayo and adore their catsup. 

The regular Ranch is terribly difficult to get out of the bottle and I don't like the taste of it on its own, but mixed up with a giant bowl of ever-so-slightly damp vegetables, it tastes good as a salad dressing. Can't say I'll ever use it as a marinade or dip, though. 

I bought the Ranch dressing when I began my Whole30 and it's still sitting around in my refrigerator. I just don't like the taste.

I was excited to find a few of the compliant flavors at Whole foods. We like the ranch, but we think of it as Italian so we don't think ranch and not taste it (like accidentally pulling milk out of the fridge thinking it's water and that swig you take is absolutely horrendous). Only thing I find is with the bottle, we seem to get more oil than anything else when we pour it after running it under warm water.

We love the ranch recipe with homemade mayo from the W30 book - I just tweak it a little, like adding dill.

I'd love to see if the BBQ sauce is at the store, or I might have to order a bottle - mostly for hubs. He's an A1 lover and seeing one of the comments say it tastes more likethat, it might make him happy.

• Moderators

For people having trouble getting the dressings out of the bottle, if you know you're using it at some point in the day, set it out on the counter in the morning. It solidifies because the olive oil solidifies in the fridge, but it will be liquid at room temperature. I've left mine out overnight and had no problems, but it only takes an hour or so for it to melt enough to use, so just plan ahead a little bit.

What I do to get it out of the bottle is hold the bottle under the tap running warm water for a little while. The oil will liquify first and start running down the neck of the bottle. Keep the bottle under the tap a little longer, then give it a few good shakes to mix up all the ingredients.

Delicious!

• 5 months later...

Be careful the french and honey mustard dressing is not compliant. The first due to sugar and the second it says we are not to use anything with honeyon the Whole30.

One of the 4 packs that they sell on Amazon has the French dressing, but is part of the Whole 30 approved pack.

• 5 months later...

I know this is an older post, but I have a question regarding the Tessamae's ketchup.  I used it in a meatloaf yesterday and the meatloaf was fantastic. My wife used it on top of her meatloaf as a condiment and I used salsa.  When she read the ingredients...she said it contained DATE PASTE!

I bought this as part of a "Whole30 Pack" on their Tessamae's website.

However, in the recipe section of the Whole30 book for Whole30 ketchup it clearly states in blue lettering as a highlighted note:

"Don't expect  the familiar 'Heinz 57' from this recipe-grocery store ketchup is thick and sweet thanks to sugar...We could use date paste to make our ketchup sugary, but that's not really in line with the spirit of the Whole30."

How does one interpret this?

I added a post to a January 2016 topic regarding Tessamae's ketchup.  I thought I would also post it here to see if folks have any thoughts...Regarding the Tessamae's ketchup.  I used it in a meatloaf yesterday and the meatloaf was fantastic. My wife used it on top of her meatloaf as a condiment and I used salsa.  When she read the ingredients...she said it contained DATE PUREE!

However, in the recipe section of the Whole30 book for Whole30 ketchup it clearly states in blue lettering as a highlighted note:

"Don't expect  the familiar 'Heinz 57' from this recipe-grocery store ketchup is thick and sweet thanks to sugar...We could use date paste to make our ketchup sugary, but that's not really in line with the spirit of the Whole30."

6 hours ago, mkukiela said:

I know this is an older post, but I have a question regarding the Tessamae's ketchup.  I used it in a meatloaf yesterday and the meatloaf was fantastic. My wife used it on top of her meatloaf as a condiment and I used salsa.  When she read the ingredients...she said it contained DATE PASTE!

It has date purée (organic dates and filtered water) and it's fine. As far as I know, using a date or some fruit juice or something like that to flavor a savory dish or make a savory condiment is fine. (And this is the closest I ever get to a dates, which I don't like).

When I use it, it's perhaps a teaspoon to a tablespoon and I find it distinctly unsweet.

See this thread: 

Archived