Continue with lots of fats even if eating bad again?

Day 29, and happy with the program. I'll definitely return to it on occasion to get things back under control. I've really enjoyed cooking with coconut oil especially, but I worry that once I am eating grains, drinking beer, etc., that if I continue to saute with coconut oil regularly, my body won't be able to burn through the fats at the same rate that it does when I'm not eating the foods that cause systemic inflammation. Do I need to lay off of avocados, coconut, sweet potatos, etc. if I have a diet with regular grain intake?

Ideally, I can continue having compliant breakfasts, lunches, and still enjoy beer and cookies on a regular basis without additional negative consequences on top of the bad things alone.

In other words, are all of the compliant foods better for you no matter what else you are eating, or if you are non-compliant regularly, are there certain compliant foods you should also avoid?

Thanks for any information!

As one of the Mods posted in a similar thread, eating whole foods can't hurt you, so I would continue to eat as many whole foods as possible.

As for this...

my body won't be able to burn through the fats at the same rate that it does when I'm not eating the foods that cause systemic inflammation.

Dude...bigger picture...

I feel like I want to give you advice, but am sure it would come off wrong. Know that I care when I say this...

If you read It Starts with Food there are foods that make you more healthy, as in the foods you have been eating for the last 29 days, and foods that make you less healthy. You absolutely can consume the less healthy beer and cookies, but I am not sure what you mean when you say "on a regular basis". That statement alone is what jumps out at me.

Of course, this was not really the question you were asking, so I will just say I agree with the advice Laura gave you. Eat a diet of mostly foods that make you more healthy, and look at the big picture to consider when to eat foods that make you less healthy.

I have a friend that KNOWS that a clean paleo way of eating is what her body needs, she is overweight and has medical problems on top of that and finds that when doing a W30 eating plan that her weight continues to drop to a healthier level and her medical problems become manageable (migraines, allergies, etc...) However she is convinced that she can't live without oatmeal and bagels and so she adds those things while still consuming her "healthy" paleo high fat diet...everything returns with a vengence...her weight goes up and all her medical issues reappear...

It is always of course better to eat the foods that make you more healthy but if regularly consume those items that make you less healthy (I'd say even make you sick) then I'm not sure it really matters...this is just my opinion. Now, again, I'm not talking about off-roading occasionally with a beer or a cookie but from your post it sounds like you might be doing this a little more than occasionally...

Thanks for the responses!

I'm pretty sure I can stick to things pretty well, and I plan to! I guess there are two questions I'm trying to cut to the heart of:

1) On days when I do indulge my urges and have a beer or cookie, should I also avoid coconut oil, (and others), because my body will be focused on burning through the carbs and sugar? Obviously I've dumped my canola oil and will not be going back, but if I've just had a beer and I'm making a meal, is it better to avoid healthy fats with that meal, or just eat as if the beer didn't happen? If I have a flour tortilla burrito, should I smother it in guacamole or salsa? :)

2) As above, W30 has been great, pounds are melting off of me, and people have noticed. I try to evangelize, but some of these individuals will be very unlikely to undertake the entire process. I'm successfully pushing them away from the obvious terrible things, but I hesitate to suggest coconut oil or increasing healthy fat intake, (eat that organic chicken skin), when they are regularly consuming foods without brakes. If they aren't going to go all the way, are there certain whole foods that should also be avoided?

Thanks again for any guidance!

I think you can't go wrong with consuming your healthy fats...again, if it's a once in a while indulgence it shouldn't be a big deal. I would always encourage others to switch from toxic fats to healthier ones no matter what else they consume...even small changes can improve one's health.

Let's see here...

Eat food that makes you more healthy all of the time. When you choose to add a less healthy food, still eat food that makes you more healthy. However, understand that the more you consume less healthy foods, the less result you will see from eating more healthy food.

Applies to all, paleo or not.

This is something I've been wondering as well as I struggle greatly with reintroduction and the slippery slope to carbtown. From ISWF I understand that contrary to popular belief, eating saturated fat isn't going to lead to heart disease as the government/mainstream media want us to believe, as long as we are eating no grain and stay generally paleo otherwise. My concern was what if on occasion (ok, maybe more frequently than that) I DO eat grains, as well as still eat a lot of saturated fat via delicious delicious grassfed ground beef? (I'm not too concerned with fats like avocados, just those high sat fats I've been warned about since I was a baby!) Am I headed from super health to horrible health because suddenly the saturated fat will interact with the carbs and go all lethal on me? Am I making sense? It makes sense to me but I'm not the best communicator :)

It just seems like an all-or-nothing deal. No carbs and high sat fats or SAD and limited sat fats. And I'm not looking to change that! I love Whole30, felt amazing on Whole30, and know what good health feels like and how to get there. I just hoped here maybe to narrow down what cornelius was going for and see if anyone has any thoughts- maybe it's not so cut and dry?

Well, that's a good question. The thing is, once you start introducing inflammatory foods (ie: grains), you open up the door to all those diseases you mentioned that are significantly influenced by inflammation. Healthy foods don't stop being healthy, but the consequences of crap food weigh in very heavily. However, it's not a one-instance issue; it's not as though having one piece of toast with bacon = instant atherosclerosis. If you keep your indulgences occasional, you should be fine. If you make them a habit...I think you know where this is going ;0)

PS: Grains = carbs, but carbs don't always = grains. Stick with carbs from fruit and veg and you're still good.

Hi, I've been doing some research on this and this is my understanding. If I've got it wrong, please correct me!

1) Low fat + Low carb = Bad

2) Low fat + High carb = Bad

3) High fat + Low carb = Best

4) High fat + High carb = the worst possible.

My thinking is that the original poster is trying to mitigate the effects of (4) and so is suggesting he eat in accordance with (2). Whether (2) really is all that much better than (4) is up for debate.

Do some research.

Archived