Starting January 9th

Shmelly

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello, everyone... I am so glad to have found this January 9th thread. I started yesterday as well!! This is my first time doing a WHOLE30 and I am looking forward to the experience. My husband is also joining me on this journey. I have tried many different diets and counted millions of calories but I am ready for something that not only takes into account the amount of food but also the quality of food and my health. I came across the WHOLE30 in a Self magazine post on Facebook and bought the book shortly after. I love the amount of information and support available through all the different resources. I hope to get to know some of you better over the next 30 days. :)

Happy Day 2! No cravings as of yet, did TONS of food prep last night. My 2017 motto is to have a healthy one, which, is why I'm doing another W30. If you all stick to it, you'll be so happy, feel great, and proud of yourselves. I'm doing it to re-set, eat good foods, and lose a few pounds. My fiancé is doing it with me this time around...and he wants to keep eating like this as long as we can. So...this may end up a W60 or more! Looking forward to it.

We got this!!!

13 minutes ago, Angela321 said:

Hello, everyone... I am so glad to have found this January 9th thread. I started yesterday as well!! This is my first time doing a WHOLE30 and I am looking forward to the experience. My husband is also joining me on this journey. I have tried many different diets and counted millions of calories but I am ready for something that not only takes into account the amount of food but also the quality of food and my health. I came across the WHOLE30 in a Self magazine post on Facebook and bought the book shortly after. I love the amount of information and support available through all the different resources. I hope to get to know some of you better over the next 30 days. :)

Welcome! And...that's great you have support from your husband doing it too. THAT makes it a tad easier ;) Happy Day 2!

So happy to find the Jan 9 start day thread! Day 2 was a smidge less "I've got this", than yesterday, but I have made it all the way to dinner prep, which I'm excited about (whole 30 meatballs and zucchini noodles), so I know that we do have this!!! Grateful for this forum to keep up with everyone! 

Hello all.  This is my third W30 (started yesterday). First round was a success and I learned a lot, but I did slip back into some of my old habits. My second attempt was right before Thanksgiving 2015 and was a pretty big failure.  This time I feel much more prepared and determined.

Some big motivators for me are: weight/fat loss; improvement of my fibromyalgia symptoms; being a support for my best friend who also started W30 on 1/9; setting the best example for my 6 yo daughter that I can.

Hi! I started my first AIP Whole 30 yesterday. I have a battery of autoimmune issues (arthritis, tendonitis, eczema, and seborrheic dermatitis). I'm hoping that completing this will help me identify triggers for my skin, and primarily help with pain in my knee and shoulder. 

I've almost completed 2 days and it's truly been the HARDEST two days. Mostly due to all the limitations of the aip diet. I did food prep all day Saturday so have lunches, breakfast, and even AIP approved Whole 30 emergency snacks. I almost gave up today and threw in the towel to go to Weight Watchers. I then thought that overall I need to heal myself and get my relationship with food on track. This is going to be the most amount of soul searching I do..I'm sure of it. 

Good news is...I'm not alone! 

Thanks for having me! 

Jeannie 

Hello fellow whole 30ers! I'm picking out some of my habits that lead me into a downward spiral and all that hard work goes out the window. I noticed that always after dinner, I just have to have something sweet, even fruit will do. Also, that I love to snack when I get a chance to watch TV at night. That's where my healthy eating fails. Even right now,  I could go for a handful of grapes or nuts just because my brain is used to this routine.  Hope I can break this habit! Hope everyone else is doing well!  Good luck on day 3!

Hi everyone, I'm also a Jan 9th start. First timer. I've just finished day 3 since I live in Asia, and time change. I waited today for the grumpiness and headaches and they didn't come so now I'm worried I'm doing it wrong. I'm sure I'm not since I'm not using any products except for meat, veg and fruit. How are you all feeling as day 3 gets underway? 

1 hour ago, Nickimac79 said:

Hi everyone, I'm also a Jan 9th start. First timer. I've just finished day 3 since I live in Asia, and time change. I waited today for the grumpiness and headaches and they didn't come so now I'm worried I'm doing it wrong. I'm sure I'm not since I'm not using any products except for meat, veg and fruit. How are you all feeling as day 3 gets underway? 

Welcome!  Wow!  Our group is growing! 

Day 2... I had a mild headache all day - maybe sugar detox??  Lol. I'm finding I'm hungry inbetween meals but I wonder if I'm eating enough.  I'll try to up my protein today.  I don't think I'm grumpy... maybe I should ask my husband?!  Lol!

So... question to the group - We're supposed to have a fat each meal, right?  What do you typically have?  Today at lunch I had chicken with roasted beets and sweet potato but I wasn't sure what to do for a fat so I drizzled avocado oil on my veggies.  Ideas?!

I'm a little late to the party but I also started Whole30 on Monday.  This is my first round and so far so good.  I'm still trying to get used to so much prep work.  I was used to meal planning on Sundays anyway but never realized how many items have added sugar in them. 

Day 2 I had a slight headache and felt a little bloated but other than that I feel good and satisfied. 

Aurora...that sounds good to me.  Like for lunch today, I am having ribeye with sautéed mushrooms and roasted sweet potatoes.  Both the mushrooms and sweet potatoes had olive oil added so I think I'm good?

Good luck everybody! 

@*Aurora* I find that having enough fat with each meal is one of the keys to feeling satiated on whole 30. So I always try to have some avocado, EVOO or coconut milk with my meals. I've been using the "Dump Ranch Dressing" on my lunch salads every day and I really like it. It's creamy without dairy. Typical lunch for me is 3-4c salad greens (kale, radicchio, broccoli) mixed with 1/2 small avocado, chicken breast, small clementine, and ranch dressing. It's a big salad. :)

ps. Ditto for sweet potato. I roast a sheet pan over the weekend and then sprinkle a small handful on my salad or with my eggs in the morning. Makes a huge difference to feeling full and satisfied.

Hello everyone, 

Glad I found a group that stated the same day.  I was following on FB but had to scroll back a week lol.  

My goal is to decrease inflammation in my body, I feel like I am on the verge of a flare lately (ulcerative colitis).  I keep thinking it's something I'm ingesting.  This is my first round W30, and I didn't expect it to be too bad as I eat mostly paleo (with dairy)  because it helps keep my UC in check.  I have very little sugar on a daily basis, and really not that much dairy - or so I thought until I can't eat it!  I avoid wheat but have been eating a lot of gluten free items lately (obviously not paleo lol)   The biggest challenges for me will be dairy and red wine.

I was a bit surprised by the headache yesterday but I couldn't sleep on the first night, very restless so I figured that was why.  I went to bed very early and had a great sleep and instead I feel like I have been hit by a truck today!  Achy muscles, headache, just want to crawl into bed.  I also got to work and my inner demon came rushing out at my boss.  I apologized and explained what was going on.  He's also my ex husband so I didn't get fired lol.    

I live with carb/sugar people but I've been eating differently than them for a couple years since I got UC, so that part of it isn't too challenging.  My boyrfriend is pretty good about going upstairs to munch on things that I can't eat, rather than eating them beside me.  I do find it frustrating to see the crap that he and the stepkids constantly put in their bodies and leading by example hasn't done diddly squat, ha ha!

DAY 3! I agree with @*evaq* on the fat with each meal for @*Aurora*. I like to use oils, avocado, and here and there some nuts or nut butter. Seems to help me. I have a good feeling about this W30...so far so good. Last night I made the Tex-Mex twice baked potatoes out of the W30 cookbook, I highly recommend it! So good! I made extra filling to have as a quick meal later in the week. One potato with filling is a meal. I served it with fresh pico de gallo and a slice of avocado on top w/ a pinch of cilantro. Good stuff.

Happy Hump Day as well as Day 3, (except different time zones)

:)

Day 3 and I feel fine so far, actually felt good getting up this morning. I feel like the potatoes are my saving grace. I was expecting to experience the symptoms from the timeline, but maybe they are just delayed. The prep work is the hardest part for me so far. I feel like I have been cooking non-stop with a pile of dishes always forming in my kitchen. I have been having an afternoon snack of an apple and almonds. I know it is not recommended to snack but the time between my lunch break at work and the time I get home and make dinner is 6-7 hours. Can not seem to eat enough to last that long. I'll try to work on it. I haven't been measuring my fats as closely but I think I am getting a lot. I have my homemade EVOO dressing on salads twice a day and oils for my cooking and from my meat. I know this plan is based on a healthy diet rather than weight loss, but I am hoping I'll still lose some weight.

56 minutes ago, Angela321 said:

I am dying to know how the Mayo is?

I'm nervous about making it and using the raw egg. The thought grosses me out but I really hope I like it because there are so many sauces/dips that use it as the base.

Haha!  I totally agree with you about the raw egg!  I made it but realized after that it said not to use extra virgin olive oil due to the stronger taste but it was too late!  Mine is a bit green in colour and smells like olive oil... I haven't actually tasted it yet but I'll give it a try as the base of a dressing and attempt to forget about the raw egg. ;)  I just picked up avocado oil to try next time though.

Thanks everyone for the ideas on adding fats!  I'm glad I'm on the right track - I'll just increase it in my meals a little.

Greetings, Everyone, and happy Day 3. So far, I'm feeling fine physically, but emotionally is another story. Something very frustrating happened to me today at the DMV, and I wanted to scream, throw things, and cry. Of course, I did none of those things, but I'm a bit surprised by the volatility of my emotions today. And no, it isn't PMS; I'm too old for that, lol! 

I'm a first timer, but have been on an anti-inflammatory diet before, and eating paleo-ish on and off for a few years. I do, however, have a sweet tooth, and ate a lot of the wrong stuff over Christmas and during the bowl games. I am curious to see how the W30 will benefit my body. Good luck to everyone, and let's keep checking in with one another. Having support is a good thing!

To Angela321 and  Aurora...I've made my own mayo several times, and it's pretty easy, especially with a stick blender. If you're squeamish, just wash the egg shell before you crack it open. Try using light olive oil (it's light in color and taste, not in calories). It makes a neutral flavored mayo. You can use vinegar or lemon  or lime juice to give it a bit of acidity, salt and pepper, mustard, herbs, etc. If you add more vinegar and some herbs, it becomes a great salad dressing. Experiment and have fun with it.

Hey! I am also on day 3 of the program, and I have to say I'm quite exhausted! I don't know if it's because of my busy schedule or the whole30. 

One thing I wanted to ask here: I bought some coconut butter today, how do you guys normally incorporate nut butters into the diet? Coconut butter is tasty on its own, but it feels counterintuitive to eat it by itself due to the reccomendations. 

5 hours ago, *Aurora* said:

Haha!  I totally agree with you about the raw egg!  I made it but realized after that it said not to use extra virgin olive oil due to the stronger taste but it was too late!  Mine is a bit green in colour and smells like olive oil... I haven't actually tasted it yet but I'll give it a try as the base of a dressing and attempt to forget about the raw egg. ;)  I just picked up avocado oil to try next time though.

Thanks everyone for the ideas on adding fats!  I'm glad I'm on the right track - I'll just increase it in my meals a little.

I bought extra light tasting olive oil, hopefully that will do the trick, whenever I get up the nerve! I'll probably wait until the weekend to try it. Let me know how it goes.. :)

4 hours ago, josielcpc said:

To Angela321 and  Aurora...I've made my own mayo several times, and it's pretty easy, especially with a stick blender. If you're squeamish, just wash the egg shell before you crack it open. Try using light olive oil (it's light in color and taste, not in calories). It makes a neutral flavored mayo. You can use vinegar or lemon  or lime juice to give it a bit of acidity, salt and pepper, mustard, herbs, etc. If you add more vinegar and some herbs, it becomes a great salad dressing. Experiment and have fun with it.

Thanks for the advice!! 

Hey everyone!

I started my 2nd whole 30 on the 9th too. :)

I'm a private chef, and that presents its own challenges, since the last thing I want to do for myself is cook after doing it all day for other people. The good part is that I'm not intimidated by any whole 30 recipes, so I can get really really creative when I have the time and energy.

But, preparation is key, and I've learned to keep it simple as much as possible. I like to mix and match proteins, starches, cruciferous, and different sauces all week, and make something more special on the weekends.

Big headache yesterday, but better today!

I'm doing this second whole 30 to reduce some inflammation following holiday dairy indulgences (hard to resist my dad's latkes with sour cream).

Love reading about what everyone is eating and sharing our challenges. We can do this!

On January 10, 2017 at 9:50 AM, Chelsea3356 said:

Hello new friends! I started my first Whole30 yesterday. I am hopeful that my food prep will help me stay committed. I had a heck of a headache last night, but feeling good this morning. I'm hoping to identify food sensitivities (likely wheat and dairy), gain more energy, and just overall have a better awareness of what I'm putting into my body. So thankful for all of the wonderful resources here!! We got this!

I started on Monday also - this is my first round.  Was very hungry & tired today.  Sounds like this is normal.  So happy to see so many people who started this wee also - great support!!!

Archived