Starting January 9th

Shmelly

Day 14! Wow, time is flying. I love reading everyone's updates. Today I made a turkey and I have mixed vegetables roasting in the oven. Yum! Best part about this meal is lots of leftovers for lunches this week. My husband is hanging in there. He commented the other day that this is not as hard as he expected. Of course, I'm sure that's because I'M the one doing all the cooking and packing his lunches. I don't normally make him lunches! Must be nice. 

I dont feel like I have lost any weight, which is disappointing. But I try to focus on the fact that I haven't had any grains, sugar or deit soda for 2 weeks!! Big win. hopefully I'll feel a little extra room in my jeans over the next two weeks. Fingers crossed. 

I haven't felt like my tiger blood is kicking in yet. No real changes... YET. 

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two weeks done! Almost halfway. Friday, we all hang out at my mom's house and she ended up making these spinach, potato, onion, fritters which I love but aren't W30 friendly. So when I declined she was surprised but I told her what I was doing to some extent. What was really surprising was that I didn't feel deprived at all by saying no. Just said maybe next time mom and left it at that. AND I took a pack of my cauliflower rice so I could still eat the main meal.  Felt good!

@Angela321  Even with doing the cooking, this hasn't been as hard as I thought it'd be - but your husband certainly has it good! :) Like you, I haven't felt any real changes yet. Some mild ones... maybe? In any case, I'm eating better and planning my meals better, so that's something at least.

Yesterday I participated in the Women's March and have a food-related thing to share about the experience.  Other marches or protests I've attended, it's kind of a fend-for-yourself deal. If you find a food truck or snag a pastry at Starbuck's or whatever... you're on your own. At this march, if someone mentioned anything about being hungry, at least half a dozen women pulled some sort of snack out of their bag and offered it, usually to total strangers. Maybe it's the "mom" in them, but whatever - WOMEN ROCK!

Of course, I had to politely decline when the homebaked brownies were passed around. :(

My good friend starts her first Whole30 tomorrow,  it's going to be good to have someone to talk food with and not worry about alienating them by focusing on food so much. 

@*Aurora* That's awesome! I caught a cold that my mom gave me, but I definitely did not get it as badly as she did.

My NSV's are slow coming. My skin is clearer and my digestion is better. I am enjoying my food and commented to my friend that I easily forget what day we are on (it's day 15, right?). I take that to be a good sign. I think that shows that I am making real changes this time that I can live with long-term.

New for me....I tried butternut squash this week and really enjoyed it. I also tried dried cherries. I also went to a naturalist doctor last week and had an allergy test. I learned that I'm allergic to soy, wheat, oats, and chia seeds. When he told me to avoid those foods, I thought 'alright...done!'

Just finished day 16 and needing some motivation. I've had some great NSVs, looking and feeling better, sleeping better, etc. But now I just want cheese. I'm not even a cheese person! I'm feeling very apprehensive about next week as it's a week holiday for me here, and I'm going to Thailand to chill by a pool. Not sure if I can do pool chilling without a gin and tonic. Apparently it's possible, but I feel like that's going to be my downfall. 

Strategies anyone? 

1 hour ago, Nickimac79 said:

Just finished day 16 and needing some motivation. I've had some great NSVs, looking and feeling better, sleeping better, etc. But now I just want cheese. I'm not even a cheese person! I'm feeling very apprehensive about next week as it's a week holiday for me here, and I'm going to Thailand to chill by a pool. Not sure if I can do pool chilling without a gin and tonic. Apparently it's possible, but I feel like that's going to be my downfall. 

Strategies anyone? 

Oy.... that would be hard. At home I distract myself by going to another room and half-starting some random project. (not useful when on holiday)   But still, it sounds like you'll need to distract yourself with something...    Take a walk or a hike. Go to the movies. Swim? Get lost in a book. Write. Play a game - solitaire if nothing else. If desperate, have a mocktail but put ask for something really delicious and refreshing in it - like some exotic fruit and extra bubbles. I don't know if you're going with a group of friends or not, but when I spent an afternoon with wine group (not drinking wine) the conversation flowed fine, my friends were supportive, and after a few glasses I got to tease them about how silly they got when they got tipsy. Ask whoever you're with to help support and distract you.

I take back what I said yesterday about the #NSV. I took a pair of pants out this morning that hadn't fit in ages and they're now slightly loose. I'm stuffy and sneezing and had a plain old sinus headache most of the day yesterday, so I think that it's possible my energy levels might not be increasing because I'm coming down with a cold.  That said, my energy levels aren't tanking with this cold - so... win? 

4 hours ago, Nickimac79 said:

Strategies anyone? 

Ooh... that's tough!  I can do without the drinks, but I'd have a hard time not trying different foods while away!  I'm not sure what to offer except, pack snacks and every time someone orders a drink, head for a swim!  Lol!

@Nickimac79 - yes to cheese.  My son asked for help to grate some cheddar for his taco and I it was very tempting to steal just a bite. ;). I didn't... instead I enjoyed my taco salad sans cheese.  

I find although I'm proud of myself for getting this far, part of me wants to throw in the towel.  Why am I doing this anyway?  Then I realize that I really am starting to feel better, move better, and am not constantly feeling like snacking.  

@HillaryK - was it an allergy or sensitivity test you had done?  I had a sensitivity test done by my Naturopath a year ago and it showed it was sensitive to eggs, wheat/gluten, dairy (cheese! :() as well as quinoa and almonds.  I've always ignored the findings and ate those things anyway (denial I tell you!!) but know that it I was truthful with myself, dairy is one I know bothers me a lot.  I'm curious about the reintroduction to wheat later, I really want to pay attention to how it makes me feel.  Dairy will be one I think I'll have permanently give up... but eggs!  I survive on eggs with the W30!  Plus, I had my own laying hens until recently!  Can't give up eggs... lol!     

Edit: I just put on a pair of jeans that wouldn't do up after Christmas and they slipped on easily with room at the waist!  Motivation restored... :D 

6 hours ago, Nickimac79 said:

Strategies anyone? 

I'm needing some motivation also. It's day 16, and I haven't seen a lot of NSVs yet. Nothing feels looser, not noticing much change in energy, etc. Sleep and skin weren't really problems for me before, so no change there. Yesterday and today I've had a headache, and I want to eat everything in sight, despite having a normal lunch about an hour ago. No cheats, though. Maybe the "victory" is that I am not craving sweets, and it's definitely easier to exert self-control when it comes to food. It's only two more weeks; I know I can do it. What I will learn when various different foods will be so valuable, perhaps as to make the program worth it for that alone. We will see. 

Nickimac79, hang in there. Treat yourself while you are on vacation, just not with things that aren't on plan. Splurge on a pretty outfit or accessory, or something for your home that is a specialty of the area you are visiting. Try an interesting experience or activity you've never done before. Keep in mind that you are choosing to not have those things right now. It's not that you can't,  it's that you choose not to for awhile. Sip on iced tea or water with a slice of citrus, or whatever compliant beverage sounds good. And have a great time!

Moving along pretty well. I'm not missing the rice and breads anymore. This routine has become pretty regular now. I still can't get rid of the habit of having line an orange wroth or without a handful of nuts while watching TV at night. Yes it's healthy and W30 compliant but why should I have it? 

@*Aurora* He told me it was an allergy test, but it was my first time visiting him and it was all a bit overwhelming. I may have misunderstood the difference between which items I was allergic to and which ones I'm sensitive to.

Anyone else have major sugar dragons? Today I got a sudden craving for cake....and more specifically the frosting. I don't want to make light of addictions, but I almost feel like I need to take the AA approach to desserts. I don't trust that if after W30 I had a dessert it wouldn't completely derail me. I don't know that I can trust my control around that type of food.

3 hours ago, HillaryK said:

@*Aurora* He told me it was an allergy test, but it was my first time visiting him and it was all a bit overwhelming. I may have misunderstood the difference between which items I was allergic to and which ones I'm sensitive to.

Anyone else have major sugar dragons? Today I got a sudden craving for cake....and more specifically the frosting. I don't want to make light of addictions, but I almost feel like I need to take the AA approach to desserts. I don't trust that if after W30 I had a dessert it wouldn't completely derail me. I don't know that I can trust my control around that type of food.

I was just curious if it was the same test I had - it gave me insight into what foods I should avoid, so it was useful!

And I agree, I know that once I have sugar, I'm done!!  I laughed at the frosting comment... I'm with you on that one!  I've been known to have an open container of frosting hiding in the freezer!!  Lol!  Not right now of course. :)

For those of you hoping to shed some pounds, I have the solution!!  I just had Invisalign put in (clear removable braces without the metal brackets) and I can't eat with them on!  I have to remove them to eat and they are super hard to pop off.  My mouth is killing me as I get used to having them.  It's too much work to snack because I have to floss and brush after too!   I go to great lengths to keep from snacking... ;) 

Really though - I've wanted straighter teeth forever.  I just didn't realize they'd hurt so much!  Lol! 

Hard to believe it's DAY 20!!!! How's everyone doing?  I'm still hanging in here. I've had a lot of temptations with family visiting and birthday dinners (not mine) but have managed to remain compliant - as far as I know. 

I've offered to do a lot of the cooking and when we went out, I suggested Chipotle and ordered the combo that I've seen people talk about in the forums here (salad, carnitas, pico, guac). The only dinner I'm not 100% sure on is the birthday dinner. I resisted rolls. I resisted wine. I resisted the appetizers that were passed around. I ordered chicken breast and swapped the rice side for roasted potatoes and broccoli which was supposedly roasted in olive oil (it didn't really taste like it? but what do I know). I know the program says that we have to become one of "those" people when we go to restaurants, but I'm an introvert and abhor making a fuss - so I did more than I was comfortable with and am happy enough with how it turned out. 

For NSV, my Saturday run turned into 4 miles instead of the usual 3 and I wasn't even feeling winded. 

@*Aurora* I guess that's a silver lining about the mouthguard thing. :) Hopefully it stops hurting soon though! 

Hi everyone!

@ColleenSw Yay, you! Congratulations on navigating all those social situations and social eating situations! And good job on the 4 mile run. The idea of eating out is so stressful because I know there will be very little that I can (or want to) eat. I *love* Chipotle. It feels like an oasis.

@*Aurora* Ouch. My friend said the same thing about her braces. Or rather she said she put on weight once her braces came off. :)

I'm on cruise control right now - or at least my cooking feels that way lol. I've found big batch recipes that work for me so I no longer feel chained to the kitchen in a perpetual cycle of cook > clean > shop. No tiger blood but I'm happy to not be at the mercy of sugar and cravings. Food and cooking wise, I've been using my sous vide a lot and it's been a life saver. It was birthday gift to myself last year and it's genius at making bland or dry protein super juicy and perfectly tender. I've been making all my protein for lunches this way - big batch on Sunday - and it's great. A little salt or spices; into the ziploc bag; set the time/temp and walk away for 1 1/2 hours.

Woo hoo, we're 1 day shy of heading into week 3! Have a great week ahead everyone.

4 hours ago, Naz786 said:

Still going pretty strong! I'm getting pretty used to not having rice or breads. I miss my legumes though. I think those will be brought back first on my list. What is everyone else going to reintroduce?

It's dairy for me, I know I don't have an issue with dairy. So I want some cheese and to go to a more paleo lifestyle. 

Hi everyone! I just joined the forums....wish I had on day 1.  I also started January 9th.  It's been going well but my question is has anyone else had problems with your face breaking out/being really dry in the past week?  I don't typically have bad skin at all.  Not sure if it's hormonal, from the cold weather where I live or maybe from the Whole 30 and things readjusting?  I'm just so surprised because everyone says that their face cleared up and mine was fine when I started but now has gone downhill!  

Yesterday was the first day of tiger blood. It was amazing.

I had the stamina to get all my errands done AND have a first coffee date. My biggest NSC is that my hands didn't hurt at night. They usually ache so much, but nothing last night.

It totally snuck up on me, and I wasn't expecting to feel it like that.

My biggest challenge was a group dinner out this past Wednesday. Luckily, it was at a 100% gluten-free spot, that is VERY accommodating towards allergies/special requests. I was SO TEMPTED. Everyone else got appetizers with cheese, yummy gluten free pastas, wine, and dessert. I had a grilled chicken breast, sautéd escarole, and mashed potatoes (dairy free). It wasn't the most EXCITING, but I was there for the company. My out of town friend is also gluten-free, so she got to indulge in something they don't have around her. (Senza Gluten, in the Village, NYC, for anyone who lives in the area or visiting. Great place for solid Italian food.)

This whole 30 is definitely not perfect. I'm still working on eating breakfast before/with coffee in the morning. I haven't quite fixed my hormones yet. Dashing off to work without eating is something I'd love to vanquish in the remaining days of this round.

I bought some chocolate and other paleo snacks from Barefoot Provisions to reintroduce after we finish. I know I have a problem with diary, but I am seriously craving some fresh goat cheese.

9 days left!

I wish I found this post sooner, I started January 9th as well... I too am having major cravings for chocolate cake with buttercream icing!! It's getting insane! I can only work with bananas, cashew butter and dried fruit for so long!  I am definitely counting down to that milkshake when i reintroduce dairy.  

Other than cake, and alcohol of course, I don't really crave anything else, I am sleeping like a baby every night and have lost weight, so no complaints there.

I know you're not supposed to recreate sweets or any of your normal food cravings but has anyone else found something to statisfy their Whole30 compliant sugar dragon? Also good to know for when I'm off Whole30 and want to avoid candy and sugar in general as a go to.

10 hours ago, TallGirlBabyFace said:

I too am having major cravings for chocolate cake with buttercream icing!! It's getting insane! I can only work with bananas, cashew butter and dried fruit for so long!

This *probably* isn't helping with the cravings, but rather encouraging them.

If a toddler was screaming at you for the blue raspberry ice cream with rainbow sprinkles, and strawberry syrup would you give in? ;)

Try upping the fat in your meals as this is satiating and satisfying, and will help knock those cravings on the head.

On 2017-01-28 at 11:53 PM, evaq said:

@*Aurora* Ouch. My friend said the same thing about her braces. Or rather she said she put on weight once her braces came off. :)

@evaq I guess I better make sure this clean eating is second nature by the time they come off then!!  Lol!  

I am finding that I'm usually good in between meals now and I'm not as snacky or craving things as I was.  I do find, especially with my braces/Invisalign (because of the added pain of cleaning them and my teeth!!) I really stop and think before eating.  I ask, am I really hungry or can I wait?  This mind/stomach connection is one that I know I have to work on as I was always bad for mindless eating, nighttime snacking and sweet cravings.  Over this past week on W30 I've really felt a shift in my thinking and I'm starting to listen to my body more.  That's my NSV I guess!  And that clothes are fitting better!  Yay!  I am getting tempted to check the scale though... but I promise I'll wait. ;) 

@MG23 Congrats on navigating the dinner. You found a way to see your friends and resist a serious bout of temptation. That must have been seriously challenging so good on you! I'm right there with you about the goat cheese. Based on my last whole30, I know I have a dairy sensitivity OR intolerance...but man, do I love cheeeeese! Not all the time or every day but life would be so sad without cheese. I think awareness and knowledge of your body is half the battle. You just have to pick your food "moments".

@TallGirlBabyFace Feeding your sugar dragon whole 30 compliant sweets is still feeding your sugar dragon. ;) Those of us with wicked sweet tooths (and I count myself in this group) have to conquer their dragon - not feed it a different brand of kibble. It's hard - no two ways about it. So you have to be *extra* mindful of where you're getting those hits of sugar in your meals ie.  fruit or snacks involving dried fruit + nuts.

@*Aurora* That's fantastic news about your mind/stomach awareness and connection! It's a huge victory and sets you up for making good choices in the future.

I'm thankful that this 2nd whole 30 is helping me reset my food/palate/cravings. Sure I still want pasta, rice, chocolate and ice cream...but it doesn't claw at me. I feel like I have control over my food again vs. the other way around. And going into the last week, I've sort of found my groove cooking and recipe wise. I have a couple of batch recipes that I can make for M-F and then I freestyle over the weekend. It takes a huge load of stress/time, knowing I have M-F locked down.

This round of  W30 is speeding by! I can't believe we're almost done! My sugar cravings are gone (I think and hope).  I do like to have an orange and a handful of pistachios with some green tea when I watch tv at night. At least it's not the junk I would snack on before.  This is the only snack I have in between meals now so I think that's progress!   One of my in laws was saying my hair looks healthier, fuller and she was asking what shampoo I'm  using now! 

We. Are. Almost. There. I hope everyone is doing well and would do this again! I'm going to continue on as long as I can. If I slip, I'll just start over, again. This is my 5th W30 and with my fiancé doing it with me has helped immensely. This was his first and he's rocking it! This is by far my easiest one yet. I discovered I love butternut squash too, never had it before. We made some new recipes, went to a few new stores, overall...positive experience this time around. I haven't craved sugar, the thought of it actually gives me goose bumps. The only thing I can say I've craved...is a grilled cheese and maybe a piece of pizza. Surprisingly, I don't miss wine! For some reason, I wanted a vodka/soda the other day and I'm really not a liquor drinker. Well everyone, keep up the good work! Happy Day 24 :)

Archived