The Z's do Whole 30

Bionicgal

My husband (49) and I (47) are starting Whole 30 today. We are parents of a very busy 13 year old and do Crossfit and yoga in our spare time. My husband has really never restricted his food in any way (except cutting back on sugar), so I expect some dark days ahead -- ha ha! We are also foodies, so looking forward to the challenge of making some delicious, compliant meals.

We just want to clean up our diet and eat less processed stuff. I've gained some belly fat since starting Crossfit (seems weird) but it is likely due to my age. 

Breakfast today was eggs with a spinach/avocado salad (with citrus dressing), Japanese sweet potatoes with za'atar, and coffee with coconut cream. 

Well, we had a great first day -- even got a workout in. I had a couple of low moments, but overall feel well fed. The worst part is all the cooking and cleaning! Holy cow. Also, it is expensive. I made enough chili for 2 rounds last night, and had to buy 4# of meat! There are only 3 of us -- so it seemed like a lot.

Anyway -- Mr Z got kind of giddy yesterday afternoon. I actually think no sugar is very good for his mood. 

Way to go Bionicgal!  My wife and I are doing the Whole30 together (started Dec 26) and I have to say it's a lot easier to share the load in regards to cooking and cleaning.  I really admire those that can do it by themselves.

I've really enjoyed the new culinary experiences.  My wife actually likes beets and artichoke hearts! two things she would never have eaten before.  We are spending something like $50-$75 a week just on meat for the two of us, but when I compare that against the chips, cider, vodka, milk, sodas, and orange juice we used to buy, it's pretty much break even.  :blink:

Archived