Can't sustain energy in ballet classes

Musicsu99

Hello,

I am a ballet dancers training for about 5-6 hours a day without breaks and I am really struggling with my energy levels about 1-2 hours in. My energy is hindering my dancing the the point where I have a hard time focusing my mind, eyes (when in class), or just controlling my body.  I was wondering if there are any recommendations you can make to someone with my age (late teens) and activity level.

Would it help if ate more carbs, protein, or just more in general? 

• Moderators

It is very difficult for us to give recommendations on how much to eat or how to tweak your meal plans without the current information.

If you would like help, please post your meals including portion sizes, meal timing, specific veggies, protein, fat, water consumption and then we can see a better picture of what you're eating and see if we can help.

Sorry I didn't know exactly what info would be needed here is an outline of what I usually eat.

In the morning I usually eat 1 egg, 1 potato fried in a skillet, and a glass of orange juice. 

Lunch is usually either egg salad (2-3 eggs) or chicken salad (half a breast) and a regular green leaf salad.

As a snack before I go to class I usually eat some leftovers. For example yesterday I had Mexican cauliflower rice and taco meat.

Dinner varies but is usually meat, potatoes and veggies. Last night I had 2 cups mashed potatoes, 3 meatballs, and a small salad.

And I drink a lot of water throughout the day and while training.

• Moderators

Don't forget about your pre-workout meal and post-workout meal. You probably don't need both, but they are an extra (half-size) meal in addition to your other 3 meals. Check the Meal Template for specifics (see link below).

Also, fruit juice may be used to sweeten or flavor foods or drinks, but please don't drink a glass of it while on Whole30.

If you are training 5-6 hours a day as a teenager, I think you might want to get some professional nutrition advice.  Your body is still maturing, and it will need significantly more nutrients than someone who is 30 or 40 or 50 years old.  Also, since dancing can be very tough on the body, you may need to focus your nutrition on foods that will really help you build (and rebuild) what the dancing is demanding from you.  And -- since dancers need to be really muscular without gaining fat, I'm sure you have concerns about making sure that your weight is where it needs to be.  In the dancing world, that can lead to all kinds of body issues that are complicated and hard to deal with.  I won't even attempt to cover them, because I am sure you know a lot more about it than I do.  What I will say is that STRONG is really, really important for a dancer.  Focus there, and on the art, and on learning absolutely perfect technique (because it will minimize your risk of injury).  Focus on food with the help of someone who knows what you as a dancer need, not what a bunch of strangers on the Internet think you need.

ThyPeace, because I think you need to be eating a pile more protein (switch it up -- you need more meat too, not just more eggs) and vegetables, a huge amount of starchy vegetables, more fat to give you energy, and that a glass of OJ is probably just fine for you even though it is absolutely not what a Whole30 is.

Archived