Sign in to follow this  
milligangirl

HELP!!!!

Recommended Posts

Okay so I have been STRICT on Whole30.  Went to lunch and the server brought me a sweet tea.  I took one small sip and immediately sent it back.  Should I start over????

 

This is devastating since I have been so diligent with my food and drink.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Give this article a read and then you can decide :) 

http://whole30.com/2014/06/really-start-whole30/

Answer #4 is where you'll really want to look: 

So maybe you find yourself at Mom’s house for dinner on Day 28 asking, “Hey Mom, any sugar in this salad dressing?” And your mom says no, all clear, and you have a lovely family dinner. And as you’re cleaning up, Mom says, “There wasn’t sugar, but there was honey—that’s not the same though, honey is natural.”

In this context, you’ve done everything you can do. You asked the right questions, got the right answers, and proceeded exactly on plan with the Whole30. As added sugar is unique in that it won’t disarm your “reset” button (and salad dressing isn’t likely to send you spiraling into sugar cravings), we can see a decision (especially on Day 28) to chalk it up to a learning experience and move on.

You asked for unsweetened tea, you expected them to give you unsweetened tea. Sweet tea doesn't have a wildly different smell than unsweetened, so maybe you decide to accept the mistake, move on with your Whole30, and only order water at that restaurant from now on ;) 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't start over. One sip of sugar isn't going to derail your Whole30. If it were gluten, then yeah maybe since that can really derail healing. An accidental sip of sweet tea isn't going to ruin all the progress you've already made! 

I've seen similar posts on accidents like this and the general consensus has been to not start over. Hope this helps! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh it feels good to hear that.  I was stirring chocolate (almond) milk for my kids yesterday and my thought was 'it's almond milk, it's whole30' and I licked the spoon.  As soon as the spoon was in my mouth I remembered why it wasn't whole30... it was Sweet!  I don't want to start over for less than 1 ml of chocolate  milk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Beth ann e said:

Oh it feels good to hear that.  I was stirring chocolate (almond) milk for my kids yesterday and my thought was 'it's almond milk, it's whole30' and I licked the spoon.  As soon as the spoon was in my mouth I remembered why it wasn't whole30... it was Sweet!  I don't want to start over for less than 1 ml of chocolate  milk.

That's a little bit different...choosing to lick the spoon is not the same as being served a different beverage than you ordered and not realizing it was sweetened. One of the things Whole30 is trying to do is to stop you from mindlessly licking spoons or knives while you're making something, finishing your kids' plates because you don't want to throw out 3 half-eaten chicken nuggets and 4 wilted french fries. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah,  those are two very different things.  I'm absolutely not eating left over French fries.  Accidentally licking one spoon after 8 days of strictly following the program is not the same as shoving junk food in my mouth.  I'm on day 10 and HATING this eating program.  Most of me is saying " just have a diet coke already!"  I'm just trying to push through.  I've worked very hard to get to this point.   If it comes down to needing to restart than that's it for me.  I'll go drink my diet coke now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Beth ann e said:

 I've worked very hard to get to this point.   If it comes down to needing to restart than that's it for me.  I'll go drink my diet coke now.

I think you should ask yourself what you want to get out of the Whole30 and go with that. After all, you're doing this for you. If your goal is, I am going to stick the 30 days through, no matter how much I end up disliking the experience, without deliberately cheating and without opening a diet coke, then keep going and be really proud of yourself at the end. Achieving this will prove to yourself that you can do something that was hard and even unpleasant and who knows what challenges you might be emboldened to take on next? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I realized I drank 2 cups of tea that had soy lecithin on day 5 and I freaked.   I wasn't about to start over.   Threw away the tea and kept going. On day 12 and feeling great.  Eating a piece of cake, bread or drinking a latte I think says start over but I wouldn't do it for something so minor.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/13/2017 at 7:26 AM, michelle123 said:

I think you should ask yourself what you want to get out of the Whole30 and go with that. After all, you're doing this for you. If your goal is, I am going to stick the 30 days through, no matter how much I end up disliking the experience, without deliberately cheating and without opening a diet coke, then keep going and be really proud of yourself at the end. Achieving this will prove to yourself that you can do something that was hard and even unpleasant and who knows what challenges you might be emboldened to take on next? 

Thank you SO much.  I'm through the really hard days now and loving the program!  I am proud of myself for making it through this far.  I think I will do a whole45 because I'm learning as I go ways to do this better.  I'm really enjoying the foods with my new tastebuds!  I'm seeing all the results I was hoping to see.  I really did need encouragement on day 10.  I was comparing the plan to natural childbirth and it really did feel as uncomfortable, just in a different way.  Thanks for the encouragement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Beth ann e said:

I'm through the really hard days now and loving the program! 

I've had the same experience... finally starting to feel good and notice changes now on Day 19. Love the childbirth comparison. I'm so happy for you that you stayed at it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this