I am just tired of eating food

mckenph

So I am only on day 8 and woke up this morning walked into the kitchen.  I looked at the fridge, the pantry and the bowl of fruit and said....no thanks I am just tired of eating.  I am really not that hungry like I use to be before I started but I am not sure if that is my body saying that or my head.  I know that I need to eat but there is nothing out there that "interests" me.  I am sure a lot of you have hit this wall and not sure what to do.  I know that protein shakes are out of the question but right now that is all that sounds any good.  While searching for others with this issue I found this site  https://www.moiraihealthandfitness.com/2014/10/29/why-i-quit-the-whole30-at-day-24/  .  I have not gotten there yet but not too far away.  What I would do for a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast. 

• Administrators

Food boredom is pretty standard at some stage. Your brain is really trying hard to get you to go back to the things you once relied on/loved. Make up a template meal and eat as much from it as you can. It might not be interesting or delightful or earth-shattering...........but sometimes you just need to eat. Know that if you skip meals due to lack of appetite, it can perpetuate lack of appetite.

http://whole30.com/2013/07/dear-melissa-cooking-for-two-and-day-ten-tantrums/

The 2nd letter refers to what is known as an "extinction burst".  In the context of that letter, it refers to intense cravings for non-compliant foods.

But I think the food "blahs" are also a form of this last ditch effort of your old habits trying to reassert themselves. Your subconscious misses the easy foods, the comfort foods, foods you didn't have to think about or read labels of or prepare and cook and etc etc etc.

Perhaps re-read some of the success stories, and remind yourself of why you embarked upon a Whole30 in the first place. Where do you hope to be on day 41? (Whole30 + proper reintros, of course ;))

Lots of us have a period of losing our appetite on a Whole30. Mine happened on Thanksgiving, LOL. 

In addition to the excellent advice above, when you plate up your template meal, try to eat around the plate: some protein, some fat, some veggies. Then just put it aside and you may find you can eat more later. Continue to make your template meals according to the clock and eat as much as you can. Your appetite will return! (And you may find your appetite triggered by that first bite or two.)

Today is day 5, I woke up not hungry again, the first three days I made breakfast and was excited. I'm back to just not wanting to eat breakfast (I've never been a breakfast person, except for carbs! Bring on the toast, donuts and cereal!) I've tried to follow the no coffee before food, but if I don't have coffee I'd be lost, seriously I need it to drive my kids to school (I'm a slow waker). I just got up and grabbed a hardboiled egg, a half a leftover apple and some almond butter, maybe not the best choice but it's something and maybe by lunch I'll be ready to eat a full meal, also it's after 10am so I've already missed breakfast and don't really want to have too big of a meal. I have found that after lunch and dinner I feel pretty good, I'm not snacking in the afternoon or before bed, I'm taking these as a success and just hoping I'll be more in to breakfast in a few days. So I say if that's all you feel you can stomach right  now have the smoothie/protein shake as long as everything in it is compliant. I just read the rules and regulations blog post last night, you will not have a perfect whole 30, just stick with compliant foods and do your best. 

Archived