Starting Jan. 16th!

ChristinR

Hello all!

I am currently making my way through the book for my prep week. My committed date is Monday the 16th, and my mom is also joining me on this. 

I've had quite a few people in my life who went through the program with nothing but positive things to say about it.

Starting Xmas day I had major digestive issues and knew that it was time for a reboot. I am overweight and always on the "healthy eating" journey, but lately I can tell that I need more. I need to know what is triggering my system and what is keeping me from moving past those weight plateaus. 

I am of course nervous - I work as an event planner and my office loves to share treats! I think we are all burned out from the holidays, so hopefully these next 30 days will be fairly temptation free, but it is a concern. 

Thanks for reading and good luck!

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Christin! My friend and I are starting Monday too! 

This is my first time too, and like you said, I've also know people that have done this and LOVED it. I'm SUPER nervous!!!! I bought the book and have been reading it along with meal planning for the first week. I have a huge sweet tooth and have never done something like this before. I've done my fair share of juice cleanses though, along with something similar that only lasted a couple weeks. 

My husband is NOT joining me on this, so that make things even more difficult. Luckily, my friend is and I hope to meal prep with her and keep each other accountable. FINGERS CROSSED!!

Good Luck to you and your mom!

Kathryn 

Hi Christin and Kathryn,

Excited to see that a few other people will be starting their Whole30 on the 16th too!  Go us!  Like both of you, this will be my first Whole30.  Christin, I'm trying to convince my mom to join me too.  

I'm feeling excited about meal prepping because I love to cook and try new recipes.  I already eat pretty healthy but like you Kathryn, my weakness is sweets and I definitely indulged over the holidays and now I constantly crave a sugar fix.  I also want to loose some weight before my Thailand trip in March.  

Looking forward to see how it's going for you ladies, especially after week one.

Good luck! :)

-Evie

Hi Ladies,

im ready to start January 16th. I'm also a newbie. I'm having inflammation health issues and truthfully, I've tried eliminating some of these items from my diet just because I thought they were causing me issues (dairy, gluetin, sugar). I stumbled across this on a friend's Facebook post and it makes a lot of sense to me. I'm ready to cut out that glass of red wine! And I'm ready to really commit to the gluetin and sugar free to see what the next 30 days will bring. (Dairy is long gone because once I cut it, I realized it actually was causing me issues).

id love to join your group.

Hi there!

I am a first timer too! I joined Orange Theory Fitness December 1st and they are doing a weight loss challenge starting the 16th. I know this program isn't solely about weight loss but I have heard great things and wanted to try it alongside my new workout plan. I love to run but have hit a plateau and have not been able to lose the weight I've recently put on because of the food I eat. I am a busy second grade teacher and find it hard to meal prep and eat right especially after a long day at work. I am hoping to see an improvement in my health, skin and overall outlook on the things I am putting into my body.

I am doing this by myself so its nice to have others who are also starting mid month!

Good luck to you all,

Joanna

Hi! Thanks for all the responses. I'm glad there are more people starting after Jan 1 like me. ;-)

I cleaned out the pantry and fridge tonight! My mom did the grocery shopping for the recipes on the 7 day Meal plan in the book which we are going to follow for the first week. I was told that makes things easier to get started. 

I'm used to meal planning - I do that on the regular anyways because I never want to cook when I get home from work, so Sundays are always my meal prep day. I think once I really get into the first week it will be easier to plan our own week out.

Hope you all enjoy the holiday weekend!

Hi Everyone!  I am also starting on the 16th.  This is my first time.  I had some digestive issues last year that have seemed to resolved, but I have had terrible hip pain for about 1 year and my knee pain for a couple of months.  I am also noticing that it is becoming more difficult to keep my weight down, so it would be great to loose some pounds as well.  I have a friend who has gone through the Whole 30 a couple of times with great results.  I am nervous about finding time for all of the prep.  I am a working mom with an 8 and 10 year old.  My husband is away for business for 2 weeks and will not be doing the Whole 30 so I think this is a good time to start.  My reward at the end will be a trip to Vegas at the end of next month with my husband and our good friends to celebrate that we are all turning 40 this year.  

Looking forward to supporting each other!

Hello newbies! I'm on day 13, and just want to wish you all the best! The meal planning definitely helps. Not having to decide what to make for dinner when you get home makes it infinitely easier to stay compliant. Also, I suggest either prepping a big batch of lunch for the week (maybe just a protein that you can change up with different veggies, as a salad, etc.), or planning enough dinner to have leftovers for lunch. I've also been making bigger batches of proteins that I can freeze for later dinners (such as crockpot roasts, meatballs, etc.), where I just have to add some quick-cooking veggies. 

The first few days were tough as my body adjusted, and energy level dipped, but once that leveled off, I'm feeling great, and personally finding the food to be delicious, filling, and satisfying. The hardest part for me has been giving up my evening wine. But now, in the midst of my second weekend, even that is getting easier. 

Cheers to your health!

Hello!  I'm starting tomorrow for the first time too.  I am a working mom with a 3 and 5 year old.  We have been members of a CSA for years and so are used to planning and prepping veggies for the week but I'm still a little worried about the time commitment in the kitchen.  Some days we get home late and everyone is tired and calling for a pizza is so easy.  I am really hoping to break that cycle and set some new habits in place so that I can be a better role model for the kids and take better care of my body.  I tend to have blood sugar drops and get really hungry during the day so I'm hoping that evens out and loosing some weight would be great too!  My husband is joining me so that will help.  He is most worried about not being able to have his nightly beer.  I'm excited to get started and hope that this forum might help me stay on track.  Good luck everyone!

Today is meal planning and grocery shopping. I'm on a six week warm-cation in Hilton head, staying at a condo so guess what?? I don't have to clean out the pantry to do this! I'm worried about my husband wanting to eat out, and not having any alcohol on vacation will be interesting.

i can't digest egg yolk protein, so I may be eating some very interesting combinations for meal 1. 

I took my cortisone, muscle relaxer, nsaid, and anti inflamitory and joint health vitamins this morning...I'm so not used to taking pills and I really hope this change in my diet will eliminate the need for all of this. I'm on week 15 on a major acute sciatic nerve issue. Two more weeks yet before the pain management dr can see me to give me a shot in my lower back. I'm feeling for people with chronic pain. I'm 56, and used to an active and healthy life so I hope this will give that back to me.

i managed a 2 mile walk on the beach with the dog this morning. But I'm hurting now. I'm ready to start tomorrow.

good luck everyone, We can do this!

Hello!

I am starting tomorrow as well! I am happy to have found a thread and read all of your stories! I have a coworker that started January 1st. After hearing how great she is feeling, I decided to start as well. I have issues with my joints and digestion. I am looking into new things to try to combat the issues. I am going to give this my all! My husband is also going to start. As Jenn1256 said, my husband is also worried about his nightly beer! He doesn't have any issues to resolve, he is just trying it to support me. We can do this!

Hi everyone! I'm Evgenia, and I'm starting with all of you! I am a pescatarian, and eat healthy and clean. I still eat the Whole30 enemies (like quinoa, buckwheat, honey). I want to do the program to see if I have any changes, to do a reset to my body, and to be able to talk about the program first hand. Also, I'm not feeling my best these days, and I want to! :) I've been thinking about doing Whole30 for some time, and finally found the time when it is doable logistically! Let's all support each other!

Hi Everyone!

I'm starting tomorrow, too. Wanted to get started on the 9th, but.....life :). I did 2 extended rounds in 2016 and I feel so much better when I'm putting real food into my body. Good luck to everyone, you've got this!!

Hello all!

I'm starting tomorrow as well. I exercise 5-6 times a week. I was diagnosed with having PCOS and can't seem to get to a healthy weight - even with all the exercising. I recently cut caffeine cold turkey this past July. I found out that the migraines I had were due to the caffeine I was consuming and I consumed a lot. Two to three coffees and several sodas a day. Just from cutting out caffeine, I have felt so much better - amazingly more energized without it. The Whole30 was recommended to me by a personal trainer who had done it before. She based this recommendation off of my PCOS weight plateau and eating habits. I eat out a lot. If my husband doesn't feel like cooking then we eat out because I DON'T COOK. I basically whined about having to cook. She then said, "Get out of your comfort zone. Nothing is going to change unless you get out of your comfort zone." Ain't that the truth. So, I bought the book, read it, and am now committed to starting the Whole30 tomorrow - COOKING and all! Oh yah, just like @ksallen, my husband is not joining me. But, he will be in the kitchen with me while I cook so that I can feel comfortable knowing I am not going to burn the house down. Let's do this!

-Genely

Today is my first day too!!!! I read the book last week, spent the weekend grocery shopping and meal planning and prepping. I didn't think y husband would be on board, but the key is he loves to cook using new ingredients. He is taking this kitchen challenge and is excited too. 

I made all of this week's breakfasts and lunches day and planned dinner menu's for the week. Yesterday I called my best friend and told her what I was starting today, and surprisingly she said she was to. She just got back from her grocery store trip. 

I have to say my first breakfast was yummy, which is what I needed, especially since I am very much not a breakfast person. Black coffee will be a small sacrifice. :) 

Hi everyone.  I'm doing another Whole30....I think this will be number 4 or 5 for me over the past 3 years.  I feel so energized and great on a Whole 30, I thought it was time for another.  I don't need to lose any weight, but use the Whole 30 as a reminder of how good I feel when I eliminate sugar and alcohol.  I work out at Orange Theory Fitness 4 days per week and work as a nurse (12 hour day shifts) 3 days per week.  Being fat adapted is great for nursing because there have been days where I've gone 10+ hours without ANY food.  Yes, I do feel grumbly in my stomach, but I don't crash.  Lots of nurses really on quick carb heavy snacks to get themselves through tough days, but if I have 3 eggs with ghee, a big plate of veggies, and coconut milk in my coffee, I can go [almost] all day.  

During my past Whole30s I have learned lots of things, but these are my most important tips:

#1  Don't be afraid of fat.  Fat will keep you satiated and prevent the need for snacking.   For me olives are so easy...they are my go-to whenever I need to add some fat to a meal.

#2  If you do need a "snack" make it a mini-meal.  Include veggies, protein and fat!  

Good luck everyone.  Have a great day!

Just getting started today for my first Whole 30 too! I'm doing it with my husband (he already eats really clean so he's giving up coffee to "suffer" with me), my parents and a co-worker so hopefully we can all keep each other on track! 

I LOVE sugar so I'm really hoping this will help me kick those cravings. We're as prepped as we can be with all of our meals planned for the whole 30 days. I even made a binder with grocery lists and recipes with each weeks meal plans so I have zero excuses. 

I'm hoping my 5:30am CrossFit class will be a good source to get any frustrations out and a good source of energy. 

Good luck everyone!

Hi I am starting today as well. It is my first time and would love to join this group, as I am doing this on my own.  I have read the It Starts with Food and The Whole30, and am eager to get started. I am shopping today and doing all the prep for the week (I hope).

I "think" I was eating pretty healthy before this, but I was not feeling well--low energy, and mood swings, some bloating and digestive discomfort (even though I have been off of gluten for about 5 years).  I went off added sugars for the last two weeks and have seen improvements in my mood and energy levels, and so thought I may as well go all the way and try this whole30 regimen.  I am eager to find out what foods are not doing my body well, and a little nervous.  I fear missing peanut butter and chocolate and yogurt.

I am a single mom of a 13 year old, so will be looking for recipes that he likes--I think that might be my biggest challenge. 

I look forward to this journey with all of you.  Anyone in the NYC area?

Hi everyone - Hope day one is going well for you all?

I started today too, also doing it on my own so very pleased to find this thread! I was recommended the diet by a friend who is a psychiatrist, he said it cured his headaches.

I have a major sweet-tooth so think that could be my biggest challenge, I think the way to success will be in cooking and preparing food so I always have a tasty but whole-30 compliant option to hand. 

Today has been fine so far. Following the week one plan with a few variations, so its the meat sauce tonight with some vegetables (we don't seem to have spaghetti squash in the UK...)

Am in London so would be great to hear from any other UK people (especially if they have tips on compliant sausages!)

Hi All!! I have also started today! How is everyone doing?

I am very excited to be part of this 'challenge' and am looking forward to all the changes this will bring to me and my lifestyle! I am a 28 year old travelling consultant ( I travel every week - Monday through Thursday) and try to work out at least 3-4 days a week. I have also started the BBG 12week challenge - if anyone else is doing that too!

My biggest challenge for Whole30 will be finding things I can eat while on the road - I stay in Hotels every week, and eat out for breakfast/lunch/dinner - so hopefully I can find some whole30 approved meals! If anyone has any ideas on what to eat/snack on - please share! I have grocery stores available and a microwave...but no kitchen.. :(

Looking forward to sharing my journey with all of you! I am in Houston, TX and travelling to Altanta, GA! Good luck everyone!

Val

HI EVERYONE!!

I just started today, the 16th as well. So looking forward to a new me!! Just got a huge food shopping done and had my first meal. Good luck everyone!! I'm starting at 173.5 lbs over here. I hope that I will get the added benefit of losing some of this weight. Heaviest I've been in a while.

19 hours ago, MC100 said:

Am in London so would be great to hear from any other UK people (especially if they have tips on compliant sausages!)

@MC100  Try this thread:

18 hours ago, Val Valdivia said:

My biggest challenge for Whole30 will be finding things I can eat while on the road - I stay in Hotels every week, and eat out for breakfast/lunch/dinner - so hopefully I can find some whole30 approved meals! If anyone has any ideas on what to eat/snack on - please share! I have grocery stores available and a microwave...but no kitchen.. :(

@Val Valdivia I found this link that might be helpful.  I looked under the "travel and dining out" heading".  

Archived