Starting Jan. 16th!

ChristinR

Hi there! Happy Day 31! WE DID IT! I can't even believe that the day has come. I was SO scared to step on the scale this morning. I finally got the courage to (after removing all my clothing, tmi, I know,  lol... didn't want ANY extra weight!) and I've lost 10 pounds! I really feel great. I was doubting myself these past few days but I stayed with it and am so proud! I am looking forward to continuing to be very cautious and watch what I eat. I am also looking forward to a glass of WINE tonight!

Enjoy your day beauties. There's definitely a new pep to my step! <3

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Holy crap we made it!

I do not own a scale so I have no clue if I lost weight or not. But I feel great which is all that matters. My clothes are fitting better so that is good enough for me! I will weigh myself when I go to my bf's this weekend since he has a scale. I am going to continue for the most part eating the Whole30 way since I did feel so much better. I am so excited to finally have some sushi, with rice, for dinner tonight! :D

Well, we did it! Congrats to you all and I have REALLY enjoyed sharing the journey with you all.  I had a non-participating, but very supportive husband, but otherwise, you guys were my support source, so thanks!

So, my non scale goals were:

1. Better sleep...I'm going to go with a B- here.  I see improvement. No trouble falling asleep, and wake fairly regularly without the alarm. I still don't sleep like a baby, but I think I have issues here that just aren't food related. (I think "the change" is starting...have trouble with hot flashes and temperature regulation in general at night)

2. Less joint pain....have to go with a flat F on that one. Zero improvement 

3. Better athletic performance...so far about a D here, but I actually think my energy may just now be on the upturn.  Not sure why it is taking so long, but there's room for that to move. 

4. Get off of the 75 mg of Zantac every night. A+ there.  I am super excited about this.  I waited until the end to try it, but I have gone the last 4 nights without and had no reflux. 

Then of course I was hoping to lose some weight too. I thought my clothes were fitting better, but I was already examining the possibility of keeping relatively compliant, but maybe shrinking the meal template to get some better results. I feel like I have eaten SO MUCH FOOD over the last 30 days. I was not prepared for the scale reading this morning.  I lost 14 pounds in 30 days. I was really hoping for 8 or so.  So, A+ there, too.

And now I am terrified to go off plan.  I added a little stevia to my coffee this morning, and that's it. Going to dinner with gals tonight.  Already scanned the menu for my complaint options, and still packing my own salad dressing. I have learned so much and there is very little that I miss much. I am definitely doing the long version of reintroduction. Wait until something seems "worth it" to add it back. ( I am quite sure alcohol will be next:rolleyes:).

You guys are awesome.  Thanks again for whole 30ing together. And continue to enjoy the journey!

Sooo good to hear all the victory chants here! Congratulations to all of you! And if there's anyone lurking who's started but not been able to finish, you CAN do it! Look at what made you slide off-track, think about how you can avoid or change that in the future, and give it another crack! We have your back :)

I still have today and tomorrow to go but like @abbeyw28 I just feel GOOD eating like this. One of my major NSVs has been the complete lack of guilt or shame around food for the last 29 days. Which is great, but also a little sad because of all the emotional weight I must have been carrying around before this.

So am scared to go off-plan but I will, and will slide back into W30 as much as I need to. 

I would also like to say a big thank you to everyone on here for being a great support! I was doing this on my own, and it was a massive help to me.

Particularly would like to thank those more experienced Whole 30 members who have been so helpful @vozelle, @jmcbn

I didn't actually start my reintro yesterday as I had some stomach upset - think it may have been codeine related - so today is Day 1 of Intro! Starting with some normal milk in my coffee and will see how it goes. I am nervous about how I'll go with sugar now - definitely want to keep levels to the minimum, but worried I might wake my sugar dragon up and fall into old ways.

I took my measures again yesterday and think the results were pretty good - 3.5in off my waist, clothes feeling much better etc. Other NSVs for me are less pain in my leg - have some inflammation there from a running injury, and definitely better and more consistent energy throughout the day. So glad I did this. 

Congrats to everyone, great results for the group overall. I reintroduced parmesan cheese last night and woke up with sinus congestion, poo. 

Good luck with your experiments and discoveries! Remember to take notes, you won't regret it...

Congrats everyone. We did it. I won't know what I weigh until I get back home in two weeks but I definitely feel better, clothes fit better. And my headaches have just disappeared. I'm going to be very careful re-introducing milk and gluetin is way down the list..I feel like it's cardboard filler for me and I just don't need it. I'm so glad to see everyone's post and I'll be around while re-introducing foods. First up is a glass of red wine... a small glass!

I tried some non-gluten grains yesterday, brown rice and oatmeal.  Oh how I missed my oatmeal!  I don't think the rice and oatmeal missed me though...holy gas! (Sorry!)  I could live without the rice but to me, oatmeal is my ultimate winter comfort breakfast!  No sugar or syrup or honey, just plain Jane oatmeal with a sprinkle of cinnamon and fresh/frozen blueberries.  Dang it.  :(  And here I thought beans were supposed to be the "musical fruit"!  LOL  

Now that I've waxed poetic over oats, anyone else notice anything after they re-introduced something yet?  The only other thing I miss is plain Greek yogurt and maybe a little cheese.  I can live without the gluten or legumes.  

LOL. What have they done to us? J/k

i have only reintroduced a little sweetener. A little stevia in my coffee (half as much as I used to use) and I made Mel Joulwans jalapeño burger balls last night and used non compliant bacon with just a little sugar in it. I had to choose between sugar+pastured pork, or mass milled pork with no sugar....I went with the pastured. I haven't even had fruit since day 29. I am so afraid of waking the sugar dragon. I'm afraid of going off plan at all. But there will be wine this weekend. We are celebrating valentines this weekend in Paris since Vday was day 30, and hubby has to be in London Monday for work. My ticket was conditional on sharing wine in France though :)

i woke up with reflux last night and had to take Zantac again. I hadn't had it in six nights.  No clue what set it off. :( I will have to keep an eye on that. I so want to stay off the acid reducers. I really think they prevent a lot of nutrient absorption too. 

Have a great weekend, all.  I'm glad some of us are still posting during the reintroduction phase.  

I started my reintroduction with dairy yesterday, just by putting a little milk in my coffee - my back and knee pain flared up, hard to tell if this was directly related but it was troubling me quite a bit before W30 and I hadn't felt any pain for a while so I think it could be. I had some ice cream with dinner and woke up at 1:30am with stomach ache, and have had bad digestive trouble.

Back on W30 today although I am allowing myself some things with added sugar where I've not been able to find sugar free options, just to make life easier. 

I'm keen to keep w30 eating in my life long term but worried that it will be tricky because I don't like coconut or sweet potato, they seem to be core ingredients in a lot of things!

I think I will reintroduce legumes next, or non gluten grain. 

20 minutes ago, MC100 said:

I started my reintroduction with dairy yesterday, just by putting a little milk in my coffee - my back and knee pain flared up, hard to tell if this was directly related but it was troubling me quite a bit before W30 and I hadn't felt any pain for a while so I think it could be. I had some ice cream with dinner and woke up at 1:30am with stomach ache, and have had bad digestive trouble.

Back on W30 today although I am allowing myself some things with added sugar where I've not been able to find sugar free options, just to make life easier. 

I'm keen to keep w30 eating in my life long term but worried that it will be tricky because I don't like coconut or sweet potato, they seem to be core ingredients in a lot of things!

I think I will reintroduce legumes next, or non gluten grain. 

Really, the only core ingredients for Whole30 are the categories of proteins, vegetables and fats. There's a LONG list of fats besides coconut and a VERY VERY long list of vegetables besides sweet potato. There are lots of people eating Whole30 meals without either of those foods. Compose your meals around what you like, with the intention to eat a wide variety of foods. 

@pammelasue, Don't give up on oatmeal just yet... first, take the time to re-introduce oatmeal and rice again separately. For me, brown rice causes constipation, whereas oatmeal supports regularity. It is worth taking the time to separate them out, trust me!  The reintroduction schedule set up the way it is for convenience and "doability" for people. If you have a weird reaction to one of the categories, it is very helpful to separate items and find out if there is a difference between them. I know it seems weird that one non-gluten green would have a different effect than another, but it isn't uncommon. Good luck!

• Moderators

@pammelasue as Vozelle said, oatmeal and rice may be different. Plus, white rice and brown rice can actually be different, and white rice is less likely to cause problems for many people. Brown rice isn't as processed, which many perceive as more healthy, but in this case, it means it still has the bran and germ, and for some people those are much harder to digest. So it could be that if you want rice every now and then when you're out for sushi or Chinese food, white rice might be the better choice for you -- if you want to have that option, do some more reintroductions and see what happens.

My first reintro was beans, and I was so happy as I thought I'd be away laughing. Nup. Black bean and tomatos made into a quick breakfast stew to have with my omelette for breakfast... was very full afterwards but still ok.  Then made hummus yo have on top of whatever leftover I had for lunch... and I felt sooo stuffed full I had to stop eating halfway through. Looked in the mirror and my stomach had ballooned out to massive food baby proportions. First time I've ever had a dramatic instant reaction like that from a reintro, and - now I know. Beans are not my friend. Really glad I reintroed a single food like that. 

Today I have been reintroducing gluten-free grains. I had a gluten and dairy free croissant at breakfast with my omelette and apple, and have had rice with tomatoes with GF sausages for dinner. 

I am a little bit bloated, but also feel strangely sort of puffy around my stomach and hips - before, my waist felt fairly firm (and slimmer than at the start of the W30!) but now the skin seems - like I say - puffy.

Has anyone else had anything like this? 

@vozelle and @ShannonM816 thanks I think I will try oatmeal again separately.  I can do without the rice. :) 

I did try cheese and plain greek yogurt on Sunday and all went well except that I found that replacing my morning eggs and veggies with an equal amount of greek yogurt and blueberries didn't keep me full.  Good to know!

This Saturday I plan to try gluten in the form of pizza since cheese was okay.  Hubby has been dying to go for pizza so I guess it's a good time to experiment.  Think I'll have a salad too just to balance things out. ;) 

So...Pamelasue..I'm Gramma Susie (aka Susie). I happened to notice that you started your While 30 on my 63rd Birthday and I also noticed you mentioned some food items I'm interested in.  I will start with Greek yogurt.  I'm on my first day of reintro and have decided to start with a few dairy items that I would like to have back.  First is grass-fed cream for coffee.  Second is yogurt.  I have been buying full fat regular yogurt, but it was just brought to my attention that Greek yogurt has a lot more protein.  I have had the same experience as you that I get hungry more quickly with yogurt for breakfast.  Does anyone know the best yogurt to have: is it full fat plain, full fat Greek, or is no fat Greek okay?  Fage has a Greek yogurt that is easily available, not that expensive with 21 g protein/cup, but it is Fat free.  

Gotta run.  But will write more later about my similar feelings about oatmeal.  That is the only grain I plan to reintro and am interested in your experience with it.  Do you eat it plain without dairy and do you eat steel cut?

• 4 weeks later...

Found your post when searching about that unquenchable THIRST as I am starting W30 again today.  Did one complete round and loved it, but wimped out on round 2 of W30 due to the thirst and awful feeling/horrible taste in my mouth/bad breath.

Hoping for tips to help this time around so I can stick with it!

• 2 weeks later...

Check out the forum. Are you eating enough vegetables? As I recall, too much protein can cause breath odor problems. Also, maybe try cutting out garlic if you are eating it. There is a good article on the blog about starting round two.

is anyone else interested in going anywhere ther round? It may really help to have a group friends do this with you again. 

• Moderators
On 3/25/2017 at 11:02 AM, 95hokiemom said:

Found your post when searching about that unquenchable THIRST as I am starting W30 again today.  Did one complete round and loved it, but wimped out on round 2 of W30 due to the thirst and awful feeling/horrible taste in my mouth/bad breath.

Hoping for tips to help this time around so I can stick with it!

These could be the result of being in ketosis, which is something that happens when you go very low carb. That is not a goal of Whole30. Be sure you're including at least one fist-sized serving of starchy vegetable each day, and more if you need it. It's okay to have fruit as well, just always have it as part of a meal, not on its own.  I'd recommend keeping a food log, and if you start feeling bad, head over to the Troubleshooting section of the forum and start a new post, including a few days' of meals with approximate portion sizes as they relate to the meal template

Archived