Starting Jan. 16th!

ChristinR

@snowflower Sunday was a weird day because I just was not hungry at all. Even though I ate late meals I was able to go 4-5 hours in between eating and even then eating was a tad forced. I just knew if I didn't eat those 3 meals I would be starving in the middle of the night. Yesterday I was not very hungry either when it came for meal 2. I ended up putting it off for a few hours and only ate because I was going to the gym to do some cardio and had to eat something before a pre-workout snack. My energy has surprisingly been great the past couple days. It's been up compared to how it was before I started the Whole30. I do need to work out more, which may help me get my appetite back. I just can't eat a lot, I feel like I'm forcing it at times, even in smaller quantities. Here are my meals from yesterday though

Meal 1: 2 hardboiled eggs, guacamole, 2 bacon wrapped dates

Meal 2: Salad with chicken breast, sliced almonds, onions, half an avo, romaine, and homemade ranch

Pre-workout snack: larabar (I know not the best choice, but I had accidently left my other snack at home and I carry these in my purse for emergencies)

Meal 3: buffalo chicken lettuce wraps (mix of chicken, onion, carrot, cauliflower rice, ghee and franks red hot) with guacamole on top, baked spicy sweet potato logs with homemade ranch to dip and a bowl of grapes.

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought perhaps I was AHEAD of the timeline.  I am still not sleeping well, but my "plumbing" issues seem to have resolved, my mood is improved, and I FELT like my energy was returning....then I went for a run.  Kicked my a++! I seriously wanted to cry! I am trying to remind myself that this is still to be expected this week...but I was feeling so good and that was SO frustrating. 

@Mountain Girl sorry for your pain! I'm about to have my first strenuous workout since the start of my Whole30 today and am a little nervous... but on the other hand am looking forward to the results. I've combined Whole30 with decent amounts of cardio and strength training before and had amazing results. Workouts are better, and results faster (=much happiness and I fit back into the rest of my wardrobe).

Yesterday: chicken drumsticks, coleslaw (eaten with some effort so I could eat within an hour of waking... still doesn't feel normal but am sticking with it so I can follow programme recommendations as closely as possible). Lunch: leftover sweet and sour pork w cauli rice. Dinner: pork chop w cauli rice and berry coulis. Watermelon. 

So, I'm the opposite.  I get up at 5 every day and have been trying to eat by 6am.  Lunch at noon and dinner at 6pm.  I am having move than a serving size some of those meals and still starving an or two hour before I am supposed to have my next meal.  I am making myself eat a little more even after I am filling up at meals because I want to be able to make it to the next meal but I am often having to have a snack an hour before a meal to not get shaky hungry.  I used to eat lots of little meals throughout the day and often my blood sugar dropped and I got ravenous.  Part of why I am doing this program.  Is anyone else experiencing this?  

Still not sleeping great but much more energy during the day and more positive outlook.  Not being tempted by cravings much.  

I am trying to walk a couple times a week but am struggling to fit it in with the food prep and since I work full time and have 2 little ones.  

I am really appreciating this forum.  Thank you to everyone for sharing your journey so far!

2 minutes ago, Jenn1256 said:

So, I'm the opposite.  I get up at 5 every day and have been trying to eat by 6am.  Lunch at noon and dinner at 6pm.  I am having move than a serving size some of those meals and still starving an or two hour before I am supposed to have my next meal.  I am making myself eat a little more even after I am filling up at meals because I want to be able to make it to the next meal but I am often having to have a snack an hour before a meal to not get shaky hungry. 

Can you post a day's worth of meals?  My first thought is that you're not eating enough fat and possibly protein.  But seeing a day's worth of meals will help.

59 minutes ago, Jenn1256 said:

I am often having to have a snack an hour before a meal to not get shaky hungry.  

Yes, I also wonder whether you'd benefit from more fat in your meals? Like, half an avocado or some equivalent. Fat's been so demonised that it's easy to think this amount of healthy fat is excessive or wrong and get a bit of a mind-block about putting something like that on your plate...

1 hour ago, Jenn1256 said:

...still starving an or two hour before I am supposed to have my next meal.  I am making myself eat a little more even after I am filling up at meals because I want to be able to make it to the next meal but I am often having to have a snack an hour before a meal to not get shaky hungry. 

Still not sleeping great...

1 hour ago, snowflower said:

Can you post a day's worth of meals?  My first thought is that you're not eating enough fat and possibly protein.  But seeing a day's worth of meals will help.

4 minutes ago, Sunflour said:

Yes, I also wonder whether you'd benefit from more fat in your meals? Like, half an avocado or some equivalent. Fat's been so demonised that it's easy to think this amount of healthy fat is excessive or wrong and get a bit of a mind-block about putting something like that on your plate...

Yep, fat provides satiety without adding bulk, so if you're eating to capacity but still not lasting the suggested 4-5hrs between meals then you need to add more fat. Remember that much of what is used for cooking will remain in the pan so don't be afraid to add an additional source, and I'd pretty much ignore the fat in egg yolks. You also need fat for brain health, for energy, and for transporting all those fat soluble vitamins around the body - fat is your friend here!

Improved satiety should result also in improved sleep, but if this is not the case after a few days please report back with details on your sleep hygiene and perhaps we can suggest some tweaks there which may help.

4 hours ago, Jenn1256 said:

So, I'm the opposite.  I get up at 5 every day and have been trying to eat by 6am.  Lunch at noon and dinner at 6pm.  I am having move than a serving size some of those meals and still starving an or two hour before I am supposed to have my next meal.  I am making myself eat a little more even after I am filling up at meals because I want to be able to make it to the next meal but I am often having to have a snack an hour before a meal to not get shaky hungry.  I used to eat lots of little meals throughout the day and often my blood sugar dropped and I got ravenous.  Part of why I am doing this program.  Is anyone else experiencing this?  

Still not sleeping great but much more energy during the day and more positive outlook.  Not being tempted by cravings much.  

I am trying to walk a couple times a week but am struggling to fit it in with the food prep and since I work full time and have 2 little ones.  

I am really appreciating this forum.  Thank you to everyone for sharing your journey so far!

The schedule you've described puts 6 hours between meals, which is a lot! I like the tips offered above about fat, etc., but it really sounds like you need to add a mini-meal-snack an hour or two before M2 and M3! The recommended time between meals is 4–5 hours, so 6 is on the longer side for sure... adding a snack of protein/fat/carb would make sense. (Moderators, any input?)

My meals today

6 AM Slice of Frittata from whole30 book with kale, chicken sausage, peppers and tomatoes in it with a 1/2 avocado

11:30 AM large chicken breast with leftover butternut squash and carrots from braised beef brisket recipe (we finished all the meat when we had it for dinner but had a sizeable portion of veggies for lunch)

4:30 coconut cream pie lara bar

6PM 6oz of perfect oven baked salmon, 1 cup homemade chicken bone broth, and broccoli, mushroom, yellow squash with red pepper sauce

Meals yesterday

6AM shredded chicken from a roasted chicken on Sunday-about a handful, 2 cups butternut squash soup and 1/3 an avocado

11 a banana and 1/4 cup cashews

12 Tuna protein salad with grapes and celery on a bed of lettuce and an apple

6PM slow cooker beef brisket with squash and a garden salad

Thanks everyone!

Hello guys. Its been five days and many posts since my last checking. Sorry that I didn't read all of the posts above. I will try to read them.

This is day 9 for me and the morning cravings has stop. I follow your advice @jmcbn and @JulieP757 and I add one extra egg and fat in the meal 1. and more fat and veggies to the other meals. I feel great, but very sleepy today!!

8 hours ago, vozelle said:

The recommended time between meals is 4–5 hours, so 6 is on the longer side for sure... adding a snack of protein/fat/carb would make sense. (Moderators, any input?)

<shrugs> I regularly go more than 6hrs between meals. There's absolutely no problem with it (& it's one of the many benefits of being fat adapted) unless you're absolutely ravenous because of it. If you're comfortable I'd be inclined to just increase the fat & run with it to see how you go. If not add a mini meal (preferably protein & fat - not fruit & nuts!) for a few days & then reassess - if not now then eventually you should be able to go 6hrs between meals, if necessary - I'm not necessarily recommending here that everyone do it - without issue.

Wow! Had my first food realated dream! Its really amazing to me how how the emotions,feelings etc described in the timeline in the whole30 book have been spot on--def not in the order they mention,  but I absolutely  see them occurring!  For example--the other day--a very productive day  for me-finished a project that'd been on my list and a great whole30 day. But late afternoon, after I finished what I was doing--I was so aggravated with my husband--for no reason whatsoever--just really irritated! Looking back, its pretty funny--esp since I didn't throttle him or anything! :D 

I'm feeling pretty good on day 11--sleep has been better and more energy for sure! ?Have a great day everyone!

Day 10... today has been a bit hard, difficult things at work and home are making me yearn for some cake and/or a trip to the pub. Having read the timeline I was expecting today could be a bit like that, although this is probably more circumstantial for me...just going to knuckle down and crack on!

My main issue - as many other people seem to be having - is fitting in the meal preparation; my meals are 50% great and 50% really boring at the moment. I need to restructure my whole day - but that of course is part of the reason for doing this, making lasting change...Had serrano ham (delicious) with baked potato and slices of pepper for lunch but it was hardly exciting - dinner is TBC - was going to be a chicken stew I found but I cannot find arrowroot powder anywhere so need to work out something else. 

Hope you're all having a good Whole 30 day...we're a third through!

Hello all!  Thank goodness "plumbing" issues are over with!  Now I seem to have a lack of energy or motivation.  I find myself wandering aimlessly around the house trying to figure out where to start my day.  I'm not sure if focusing issues are on the timeline but it's hitting me big time.

I have also noticed I don't have much of an appetite.  I have some great food prepared, but I'm not into them nor having cravings for something non-compliant.  I have just resigned to eat smaller meals and making sure I have protein, fat and a vegetable.  Sometimes I feel guilty when I eat because in the back of my mind this should be harder for me.  So far the only difficult thing has been to keep up on my meal prepping.   I'm concerned that cravings will come with a vengeance in the next few days and my willpower will be tested.  Oh well, no sense in worrying about tomorrow!  Off to the gym.

I had a couple of *interesting* moments yesterday too... had a presentation to our management board, just after their afternoon tea. Once I'd finished they asked if I would like to have one of the large, delicious, double-chocolate brownies... and I said no but man, I wanted sooooo badly to say yes!! Then they suggested I take the plate of them down to share with the rest of my team... so I had to take this plate of them back down to my office and ignore how loud they were calling my name! 

Then when I got home I went to put something in the fridge and noticed something was missing. .. this is how the conversation went:

Me: did you eat those lazy devil eggs from the fridge?

Husband: yep.

Me: but I made them for me! Those were my wakeup snack so I can have breakfast at work and still follow programme recommendations! I had them all set out in the perfect amount for the next 2 days!

Husband: huh. You should have labeled them or something. *shrugs*

Me: harumph. 

And stalk off to do MORE food prep! 

Yesterday breakfast: chicken drumsticks,  sautéed cabbage w dukkah. Lunch: leftover sweet and sour pork. Dinner: mole meatballs w cabbage (well fed weeknights). Watermelon afterwards.

Ok so quick question, I was looking at Chipotle's site to see what was edible on the Whole30 ( I am going to be traveling this weekend and knew that chipotle had compliant things so I wanted to plan my meal out in advance). Anyways I think the Chorizo is compliant! I am posting the ingredients just to make sure I didn't overlook anything, but does it look all right to you all?

Ingrediants:  White Meat Chicken, Pork, Pork Skins, Seasoning (Paprika, Hungarian Paprika, Smoked Paprika, mild red pepper, dried Oregano, Chipotle Chili pepper, Black Pepper, Salt), Red Wine Vinegar, Garlic, Cumin.

If so this makes me pretty happy since I am not a fan of the carnitas so much. 

Okay so insomnia has kicked in for me the last 2 nights. Not good, I have been sleeping well before starting this whole30. Today I had to do a weigh in for my work. Doing a 6 week weight challenge. It's funny I stood on the scale backwards so I didn't see my weight:). Trying to stick to the rules! Made hamburgers last night for the family, put mine on a portabello mushroom with a dollup of guacamole on top. Today I had chorizo in my breakfast hash. It was so good.

@alikoala65 you just made me chuckle...lol, standing on the scale backwards ..good for you!

i was at the dr. This morning trying to keep my eyes down on the scale so I wouldn't see the weight and the nurse spoke the weight out loud! I should have closed my eyes and my ears.

im also still having some trouble with sleeping. But I got my lower back shot today and we're headed back to our beach vacation. Made bacon, avocado, tomato salad for my breakfast on the road as I couldn't eat before the procedure.

we stopped at Wendy's for a grilled chicken sandwich, no bun, no sauce which I put on my salad for lunch.

had chipotle on the trip up. I'm anxious to get back to my own cooking. I got the hangries" yesterday. Hungry/angry just before lunch..pour hubby! 

And we ARE officially 1/3 done! Yippee for all of us!

4 hours ago, MC100 said:

arrowroot powder

Did you try Tesco? They definitely sell it. My son has a number of food allergies & so this is one of the few things we can use to thicken sauces - I get it there all the time. If it's for thickening a sauce though some almond flour, or tapioca starch would probably do the trick.

@kpenrod1 - that chorizo looks fine to me - enjoy!

@medictrina - some loss of appetite is fairly normal somewhere in the 30 days. Just keep on plating up those meals and eat as much of them as you can - NOT eating will only perpetuate the problem - and your appetite will soon come back round again. Re the lack of energy/focus - how are you doing for fat in your meals? Are you including at least one fist sized serving of starchy veg per day? Both will help....

3 minutes ago, MC100 said:

@jmcbn thanks for that - we've only got a tiny tesco near me, but the organic supermarket had some so I'm sorted now! Going to try this tomorrow:  http://www.wholesomelicious.com/slow-cooker-creamy-southwest-chicken/

Nice! I might give this a go myself this weekend - I've already got chicken thighs on my shopping list..... Enjoy!

@kpenrod1 Re Chipotle: I read on another forum that they cook most of their meat on the grill with rice bran oil, which wouldn't be compliant. It's usually listed as an ingredient though, but you might want to ask just to be sure.

@MC100 If it works for your schedule, I find that meal prepping on the weekend helps so much. I usually pick out recipes on Thursday or Friday, make my shopping list and do the shopping on Saturday, then cook and prep on Sunday. That didn't happen the 1st week, but I made a point for that to be the process this week and it made for a lot less cooking. 

Some of what I did was double the frittata recipe (Mexican style), layered the ingredients in a casserole dish and baked it. So for breakfast all I do is pack up a slice of that to reheat at work. Lunch is typically leftovers, which I pack right after dinner. Of course, I've been doing meal prep for about 2 years now, so even when I wasn't on Whole30 I would cook 4-5 different things on Sunday to get me through the week.

@jmcbn after my post, my energy took a swan dive.  I went to the gym anyway with my knuckles dragging and got a moderate workout, but my heart wasn't into it.  For the rest of the day my energy and motivation has been dwindling.  I make sure to include fat every time I eat, I have no problems there!  Usually it is in the form of avocado or nuts.  I have had insomnia for the past two nights, so maybe my fatigue is just catching up to me.  I"m going to try and accomplish more today and start fresh tomorrow. 

Anyone THIRSTY as heck? I have SO much water (at least ten bottles/pint glasses a day!) and I can't get over the thirst. I literally just had two pint glasses, a kambucha tea, and I am STILL thirsty.

I also have a horrible taste in my mouth all day, and my boyfriend actually just commented on my breath. :wacko:

At least we're making it through day 10, the book says this is one of the toughest days, which makes me even more determined! But this thirst is SO annoying.

Archived