Starting Jan. 16th!

ChristinR

Happy Day 2 everyone.  I had a food dream last night which is very unusual for me because those usually don't show up until day 5-7 for me.  I ate a cheese and cherry danish!! IN MY DREAM....so that's technically compliant, right?! :P

For all of you newbies....have you seen the timeline?  Here's a link:  http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

I like to refer to this to see if what I'm feeling and what's giving me trouble is "normal".  Maybe it'll help you, too.

Here's another link that I have found very helpful:  http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf  

Print this one out and put it on your fridge!  I think a lot of people don't eat enough food and then wonder why they are needing snacks or feeling weak.  Follow the template.  Make sure you get enough protein, enough fat and fill up 1/2 your plate with veggies.  

Here's my last tip for the day:  If you're feeling hungry between meals ask yourself "Am I hungry enough to eat plain baked chicken and steamed broccoli right now?"  If the answer is "No", you're not truly hungry.  Your brain might be craving something, but your body isn't hungry.   Have a glass of water or a cup of tea, distract yourself, and hold off.  

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, snowflower said:

#1  Don't be afraid of fat.  Fat will keep you satiated and prevent the need for snacking.   For me olives are so easy...they are my go-to whenever I need to add some fat to a meal.

I love (good) fat! Avocados, olive oil, nuts. They're my best friends :)

Yesterday, on day 1, I was attracted to the smell and look of non-compliant things that I don't even like or eat! Ha, I think my brain was throwing a fit for denying it something :)

I have been having smoothies for breakfast every day for a while now. Even though smoothies are frowned upon, I will continue to have them. My smoothies are low on fruit (just a banana), but full of greens and (compliant) superfoods, and protein in the form of nut butter or tahini. They keep me full for a long time, give me energy, and I love to start my day like that.

I'm doing the pescatarian Whole30, so nuts are one of my protein sources.

Hi all :)

Yesterday was R1D1 for me. I knew to expect a headache on day 2 or 3 but somehow woke up on day 1 with a pounding headache. I tried to ignore it and ate a good breakfast,  then had shrimp and zoodles for lunch. However, around 230pm, I felt very lightheaded and still had a headache. So I ate some grapes and took some Excedrin and still didn't feel right. I finally had 3 hard boiled eggs and felt fine afterwards and the headache subsided too. Not sure if I handled my situation correctly or not...

Now I'm wondering if I'm going to get another headache today or tomorrow :(

@snowflower - thanks for the tip!

@JaneD - I've had a couple of headaches too, last night and one coming on just now (mid-afternoon). While it isn't particularly enjoyable it is good to feel something happening...

So far I am finding being busy to be a great help, keeps my mind off food. I am eating a lot of nuts. A triumph of willpower this morning when I had a three hour meeting with a massive plate of chocolate biscuits right in front of me! I stuck to my black coffee and little bag of nuts... 

Day 1 success!

This fat is new to me...about 25 years on low fat. I ate some blackberries after breakfast to get the fat taste out of my mouth.

i decided I would celebrate to start:

breakfast day 1: lump crab, asparagus, tomato, avocado, crumbled bacon. (I just read pork isn't recommended, but I need to substitute for the egg protein so I'll watch this going forward). Cooked in coconut oil with lemon and sea salt. Blackberries and blueberries.

lunch: salad: romaine, spinach, carrots, tomato, salmon. With olive oil dressing.

dinner: grass fed filet seared lightly in duck fat and grilled then topped with lump crab and assorted mushrooms braised in ghee; 1/2 sweet potato, microwaved then sautéed in coconut oil to glaze with sea salt; steamed spinach dressed with garlic cooked in ghee and tossed with olive oil and vinegar; kalamata olives. Pierrer in a wine glass with a lemon..I mean, why not?

exercise, 4 mile walk on the beach with the dog.

sleep...! Not so good. I couldn't fall asleep until 2 am.

Hi everyone! My name is Abbey and I also started yesterday....so here we are on day 2!! This is my first time doing Whole30. I was nervous, but now I'm just really excited. I'm glad a bunch of you started yesterday too. I've struggled with my weight my whole life. I've done Weight Watchers, Nurtisytem, etc. and although I see results at first, I never can seem to maintain. I'm now at my heaviest I've ever been and want a change to everything I'm doing. 

I've been actually really surprised at how tasty all my meals have been! I'm following the suggested first week meal plan and it's amazing how everything has tasted. I loved making my own mayo too--it's just really fun to try these new recipes. Oh and turns out coconut cream in my coffee is really good! 

I feel a bit odd though today--like not quite myself. I'm assuming that's the lack of sugar...it's strange! Here's to finishing day 2 strong!! :):)

Hello all!

It's nice to see so many people started this week.  I came across Whole30 about a month ago and have been planning for the past few weeks to start today.  I decided to start today because my husband started his recruit academy for his dream fire department today.  He is my motivation.  I meal prepped yesterday for both of us, I just added noncompliant food to his meals.  I haven't bought the book but I have been reading up online and have come up with a plan.  Does anyone recommend getting the book? I'm excited and nervous to start this journey.  This morning gave me pause because I couldn't figure out what to drink.  I usually make a latte every morning.  Today I settled for an espresso with a bit of coconut cream.  Good luck to everyone!

4 hours ago, JaneD said:

....woke up on day 1 with a pounding headache. I tried to ignore it and ate a good breakfast,  then had shrimp and zoodles for lunch. However, around 230pm, I felt very lightheaded and still had a headache. So I ate some grapes and took some Excedrin and still didn't feel right. I finally had 3 hard boiled eggs and felt fine afterwards and the headache subsided too. Not sure if I handled my situation correctly or not...

Have you changed your coffee/tea/caffeine intake?  Are you drinking enough water?  

I would avoid eating fruit as a snack alone....could cause sugar cravings later.

Hello All, 

Im late to the party, but I too started on the 16th for many of the same reasons I have heard you all mention.  So far so good. Glad this forum exists as I can see myself leaning on y'all for advice and recommendations in the near future.  I made my own mayo so that proves I'm committed.!

@snowflower I'm still drinking morning coffee and usually drink quite a bit of water, I just thought it was strange how I got a headache before I even started the program :lol: 

Thank you for the tip about the fruit though. :)

Finishing up the second day, how's everyone feeling?  I'm traveling and, as luck has it, my hotel is walking distance to a Chipotle and a Trader Joe's.  I searched online for Whole 30 friendly restaurants and found the Carnitas salad at chipotle to fit the program.  No beans, rice or dressing, but plenty of salsa and guacamole.  It was great!

IMG_1851.JPG

Happy end of day two!

I am following the 7 day meal plan laid out in the book with minor adjustments to things me or my mom don't eat. Have to admit it was a bit strange eating spaghetti for breakfast this morning! I decided to stick with herbal teas instead of trying to add coconut cream to my coffee, because I don't actually eat breakfast/have a cup of coffee until I get to work in the morning, and I just don't want to 

I do have a bit of a headache that started this afternoon, but I'm not sure if it's related to the diet change or just one of my normal "oh the weather changed again" headaches.  Here's hoping I can just sleep it off.

Hello Whole 30 World!

My family and I started on the 16th. I'm a type one diabetic with severe anxiety, one is obese and has a number of other medical conditions, one has Parkinson's and another is obese with joint problems. 

My first day was the hardest for a number of reasons but I went with a few people to the auto show and then out to eat after at one of the greatest Greek  restaurants. Walking through the auto show where they have pretzels, covered almonds and fudge every hundred feet didn't seem to phase me. It was the restaurant when the waiter brought the amazing bread with olive oil and ordering food. I just said I had allergies to everything not allowed. They were super nice to accommodate me even though most of their stuff is cooked in olive oil and they season everything with plain spices. Never had sautéed spinach before but found that I really liked it. Santorini in Detroit is very Whole 30 approved with accommodations. 

First day was rough but my second day was pretty well and WAY easier. 

Day 2 Success!

meal 1: egg white omelette with tomatoes and spinach and herbs of Provance; I mashed up my leftover 1/4 sweet potato, added a bit of applesauce and coconut milk and cinnamon and fried it in a bit of coconut oil. I mixed some blackberries and blueberries with coconut milk and microwaved it together to pour over my sweet potato "pancake" and topped with a few almonds. We used to have left over mashed potato "pancakes" fried like this with eggs and ham.  Just put a spin on it.

meal 2: crab, avocado, artichoke hearts, tomato and a carrot, kalamata olives (may be my new favorite oil).

meal 3: grilled grass fed beef patty, grilled Brussel sprouts and carrots in olive oil, tomato slices. And no dishes to clean up because my husband did it all on the grill outside. (We're at the beach for six weeks).

snack: almonds and blueberries with a cup of green tea.

exercise: 10,000 steps on the beach walking the dog. It was really the accumulation of walks during the day while we enjoyed the sunny weather. I laughed when my phone logged it as 10,000 steps..wasn't seeking after that goal, as I have enough tracking going !

Now my question...am I getting enough protein? 3 handsize protiens during the day, but I have to eat egg whites, I'm extremely sensitive to any egg yolk at all. I usually eat two eggs. What is everyone else doing for protein? Any suggestions to increase my protein at breakfast? Thanks!

feeling a bit sluggish too, maybe a bit of a headache so early to bed and start again tomorrow. 

Hope everyone had an exceptional day 2

Happy Day 3 everyone.  Just checking in....I'm off to work a 12 hour shift, so this will be quick.  

@Cher1 I want to come to your house for breakfast, lunch and dinner!! And it's not because you're on the beach.  (well, maybe that's part of it:P)

Have a great day.....for those of you having headaches, try adding some extra starchy carbs to your meals.  Potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, rutabaga, beets, etc.  Don't be afraid to have some with every meal if they make you feel better.  And take a nap if you can get one in....even 15 minutes will feel so good.

8 hours ago, Cher1 said:

Now my question...am I getting enough protein? 3 handsize protiens during the day, but I have to eat egg whites, I'm extremely sensitive to any egg yolk at all. I usually eat two eggs. What is everyone else doing for protein? Any suggestions to increase my protein at breakfast? Thanks!

HI @Cher1 - when eggs are your only source of protein in a meal a serving would be the number of whole eggs you an hold in one hand, which is 3-4 for most females, so you might want to up that a bit, or add in a different protein source - mackerel works well, salmon, or maybe some ground beef.... whatever you fancy :)

For those of you having headaches remember to salt your food (sodium intake can drop by up to 75% when switching to whole foods) & drink up.... we recommend a half an ounce of water per pound of body weight daily.

Yes day 3 is here. I actually made a sweet potato and chicken hash for breakfast, I put an fried egg on top. My brain tells me it is weird to eat this for breakfast but I actually really enjoyed it. @Cher1 can I fly out to Virginia and hang out with you for the 30 days? I love your meal plan for the day. I am a nurse and am really struggling for my daily fix of diet coke today that's what I want today! But I shall prevail.

Day one was amazing.  I did however only eat two meals.  My issue is I get super busy with the kids and life in general and I forget to eat.  When I finally stop to eat, I am starving and grab anything in sight and overeat.  My meal prep was perfect.  I had eggs with tomatoes, kale and avocado, with a shot of espresso with coconut cream.  Lunch was mashed yams with a bit of cinnamon, easy tandoori chicken from NomNomPaleo, and sautéed spinach with garlic.  After the kids got to bed, I had a handful of almonds.  Today we all overslept so breakfast was an Epic bar, pear and a handful of pistachios.  Lunch was heaven, citrus marinated flap steak with homemade chimichurri and artichoke with homemade mayo.  I was a cooking fool on Monday, but it really saved time and takes out the risk of grabbing any food that is close to eat.  I just reach in the fridge and grab my next meal.  No negative symptoms yet!  I hope this helps keep everyone on track.

Reaching the end of day 3 - today I learned the importance of preparing in advance and eating regularly,  the hard way! Running horrendously late for work, I had planned to pick up breakfast on the way and couldnt. Also missed lunch,  for similar unanticipated reasons. Body started craving sugar...  Finally ate some chicken around 4pm, then just had dinner at 5:30, some leftover beef mince and tomato sauce with veg. 

The headaches have gone but have really painful joints, I'm wondering if this is to do with inflammation which is mentioned in the book? Feeling exhausted too.

I think this may be in part due to the crazy day,  but guessing it's also part of the journey....the book mentions aches and pains at this point. 

Hope everyone else is having a good day 3!

How’s everyone doing on Day 3? 

Do you know if you need to refrigerator Ghee once you open it?

Does anyone do portions? Does anyone snack? I can’t go from lunch until dinner without food. I’m probably not a good example of meal-eating. 

I made two eggs in ghee with 2 pieces of SF bacon at around 10:30 am. Then I went to play tennis from 12-1:30. Then to grocery store where I had TWO LARA bars (none with added sugar, though).

Now it’s at least 3 hours until dinner……hmmm?

WOOHOO! DAY 3 IS ALMOST OVER! Meal prep has saved me as well, as well as my crock pot! Going to the store again tonight to get stuff to prep a sweet potato chili (http://www.cottercrunch.com/crock-pot-sweet-potato-chipotle-chili-paleo/)! 

I definitely snack through the day at work. Around 10 am I have my RXBar or an apple with almond butter, then after lunch around 3 or so i'll finish the bar and/or apple! I also keep dried plums (who knew i liked THOSE?!) in my desk, along with dried dates (for a sweet fix) and raisins! 

I'm getting really nervous for the weekend... being at home surrounded by some non-compliant food (thanks to my husband) and not my packed and read-to-eat compliant foods! We also have a dinner party to go to on Sunday night and the main dish is  "Boeuf Bourguignon with noodles" - definitely no noodles and per the generic recipe I found for boeuf bourguignon, it will most likely have non-compliant ingredients. I feel bad bringing my own food, so I may pretend to be sick and send my husband solo! HELP! How do people deal with a situation like this? Is it rude to show up and not eat anything? Or rude to bring my own food? AHHH!

In other news, my husband basically hates all veggies so getting him to eat even a mini egg frittata with peppers, onions, and compliant bacon is a challenge! I don't know what I'm going to do! He says he's going to lose weight during these 30 days by not eating... UGH!

Here's to 27 more day!

- Kathryn

Hi all

Am a couple of days behind but would love to join you on this thread and Whole30 journey. 

This is my third Whole30 but my first for about a year. Sometime around the middle of last year me and my husband tried for a third round but got to about day 14 or 15 and were like, "nah, we got this". Big mistake (in hindsight), as of course we slid slowly back into a tasty pile of sugar, wine, and takeout. It wasn't a waste though - we still learned some stuff. Like, we can't have any chips in the house since then as they we can't. Leave. Them. Alone. Also, snacking is my downfall as I come up with all sorts of creative ways why the popcorn/ice cream/cake is Worth It. 

So I've been trying to moderate my diet since before Christmas, with no joy (as mentioned, my brain comes up with all sorts of smokescreens and excuses). I realised that I just need to push those excuses to one side and hit reset. So this Whole30 was pretty spur of the moment - I just announced it to my husband last night that I was doing it, starting today. 

He's actually the reason I decided to do this. He just got told by our doctor he had elevated blood pressure, so has made some significant changes - like no more salt in his food, and cutting coffee completely. Which got me thinking. I turn 40 this year, and have put on about 4 kilos (I think that's about 10 lb?) that I can't shake by doing what used to work. And I want to head into my 40s being a healthy weight and feeling educated and capable of doing what I need to do to keep myself healthy inside and out. 

So this just turned into the most I've ever posted on here - but - hi! Looking forward to sharing the highs and lows with you all over the next 30 days :)

Archived