Starting Jan. 16th!

ChristinR

I also started on the 16th!! 

A few observations since starting:

-I didn't realize how much sugar 'lurks' in our food! I've been modifying healthy recipes I already have and it's crazy how many have a tablespoon or two of sugar.

-I am not a vegetarian but I feel like I'm eating SO much meat! I usually get my protein from beans. I miss beans.

-My eating patterns involve so much muscle memory, like whenever I walk into a certain co-workers office I go straight for her treat jar.

-I'm eating three meals and exercising daily and I'm not hungry!

-Foods I miss that I didn't think I would: homemade pickled onions/jalapeños, creamer in my coffee, and tortillas.

-My belly is flat and no bloating!

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey DesertSage, I can't remember ever having a flat belly with that said I'm 60 pounds heavier than my ideal weight which I was at before I got pregnant with my now 3 yr. old twins. I will focus on just eating healthy and I know my weight will follow like it should. I'm trying not to be preoccupied with the weight issue. The weeks and months will go by regardless might as well make it worth while.

Roasted some sweet potato cubes tonight and got my little ones to help me shake the ziploc bag to cover them with olive oil and salt. Less work for me and they had fun! My 2 year old son LOVED them and kept calling them fries. Whole30 win! 

For those trying to make mayo...I did it tonight in a vitamix blender. I used the recipe on Whole30's site with the blender set on low and the top off of it so I could pour in the mayo. Definitely thought 'man, this really IS boring' while pouring the olive oil in as a thin stream. It probably took close to 4 minutes to get the whole cup in. Also, make sure everything is room temp/not cold. Evidently cold ingredients keep the magic from happening! It was delicious - even my non-Whole30 hubs agreed! 

Wishing all a Happy Day 4 in the books! 

Hi all! 

So my headache never went away, and it actually turned into a full blown migraine yesterday. I tried all day to fight it naturally (food, water, peppermint oil, ice pack, etc) but I was still hurting at bedtime and just tired of being in pain, so I took some Advil. I kind of think it was more weather related than whole30 hangover, since nothing natural helped, but I could be wrong. I woke up feeling way better so that was nice.

This week we have been following the 7 day meal plan and I have learned that I definitely do not like fish, but I don't mind chicken and potatoes for breakfast. I'm excited to make our own plan for next week, and maybe not have so much variety? Lol I know that sounds crazy, but I don't like to cook when I come home from work  and even though dinner is ready, the last few days I've had to coook breakfast and lunch for the next day. I'm definitely looking to simplify, but definitely did different sauces, because I thinks that been one of my favorite things, making the flavored mayos and the pesto. They make everything so flavorful!

I also wanted to chime in about making your own mayo - an immersion blender is your bff! You don't have to drizzle the oil slowly, just combine all the ingredients in a large enough jar and stick that blender down in it. We have made two batches that way, and it's perfect every time. 

My other goal for next week is to add in exercise. I didn't work that into the plan this week, and I desperately need to.

Have a great Friday everybody!

Hi everyone! Hope you're all doing well. Nice to hear from some new posters. It helps to know we're all working toward the same goal.

@Jenn1256 yes, I'm having a hard time falling asleep too. I seem to be wide awake until 2 am. I'm hoping its temporary and turns around soon. I don't have any caffeine after  my two cups of decaf coffee in the morning. 

i found a farmers market today, it felt like I found a treasure!

meal 1: Mediterranean style 3 egg white frittata with crab, artichoke, spinach, tomato, and capers, and a banana 

meal 2: Cajun style seafood gumbo at the farmers market - filled with fresh vegetables--delicious 

meal 3: farmers market finds: grilled free range, antibiotic free chicken with Stubbs BBQ rub; oven roasted root vegetables with olive oil and spice blend (sweet potato, carrot, yellow beets, rutabaga); collard and rutabaga greens steamed with applewood bacon crumbled, fire roasted tomatoes, olive oil and creole spice. 

If you've never tried roasted root vegetables, I highly recommend them, they were absolutely yummy. I just chopped them into bite size cubes and tossed them in olive oil and herbs of Provance. I lined a cookie sheet with aluminum foil and baked at 450 for 20 minutes. Sprinkle sea salt on top. Pretty easy prep.

on to day 5!

8 hours ago, Cher1 said:

@snowflower thank you so much for the recommendation of nomnompaleo 

I downloaded the app for my iPad ($5.99) and there are some great recipes on first look..plus great sauces for those looking for sauces and dressings.

If her crockpot chicken with "gravy" recipe is on the app, you've got to try that.  I use leeks rather than onions and it's amazing.

Happy Day 5!  I'm off to work again today, but just wanted to say that I finally found sugar-free Kimchi!  My Whole Foods is stocking a new brand now.  I typically eat cold sauerkraut a few days a week with my breakfast for the probiotics and now I can add kimchi into the mix.

Have a great day everyone.

I started a day later on the 17th, and the whole30 forum is my only support.

I find it very difficult no to eat between meals. two hours after every meal I am hungry.

Meal 1 is (or should be, since I woke up at 05:30) at 6:30 am

Meal 2 is at 13:00

Meal 3 is at 18:30 - 19:00.

I had about 5 - 6 small meals every day, both healthy and unhealthy and I think my stomach and brain used to this and now is very difficult.

But what do you think? 6 hours between meals isn't too much?

3 minutes ago, geomat said:

6 hours between meals isn't too much?

It may be initially, but I regularly go longer between breakfast & lunch, and often between lunch & dinner too.

What do your meals look like? Perhaps they need a little tweaking...

Welcome to the forums by the way :)

Thank you for the welcome.

5 minutes ago, jmcbn said:

What do your meals look like? Perhaps they need a little tweaking...

This first week was very simple.

Meal 1: 2 hard boiled eggs, tomato, cucumber, pepper. somedays I had avocado with them also.

Meal 2 and 3: chicken with veggies, fish with salad, sheppers' pie, chicken with salad.

The main problem is the morning snack, I used to eat something at 10-11 every morning and is very difficult now. I am eating some almonds and nuts.

9 minutes ago, geomat said:

Meal 1: 2 hard boiled eggs, tomato, cucumber, pepper. somedays I had avocado with them also.

Meal 2 and 3: chicken with veggies, fish with salad, sheppers' pie, chicken with salad.

The main problem is the morning snack, I used to eat something at 10-11 every morning and is very difficult now. I am eating some almonds and nuts.

Is the morning snack due to hunger or habit?  Your M1 is a little on the small side.  When eggs are your only source of protein, you should have as many as you can hold in your hand - 3 to 4 if you are a female, maybe more if you are male.  You need to add healthy fat at EVERY meal, not just sometimes.  Add a big dollop of mayo on your hard boiled eggs, dip your veggies in homemade ranch or mayo or eat avocado every day.  Fat is your friend.  It will keep your full and happy :) 

11 minutes ago, geomat said:

Ok, your breakfast definitely needs more. When eggs are your only source of protein a serving would be the number of whole eggs you can hold in one hand - that's 3-4 for most females. Many people don't like to eat more eggs so they add some breakfast sausage, or some fish or something - whatever you fancy to up the protein. Adding avocado is good. Leaving it out, not so much. The fat will provide you with satiety & get you through that 10/11am dip. Maybe try scrambling the eggs in ghee or something to make them more palatable? Personally I couldn't do hard boiled eggs for breakfast...

You also look to be missing fat in your other meals too. What you are using for cooking will pretty much stay in the pan, so don't be afraid to add more to your plate.

You might find that the 10/11am slump is a habit rather than true hunger - try a glass of water, or some herbal tea for a few days - you'll be surpried how ingrained these habits are in our brains, so we just need to work a little harder to get around them...

Keep us posted on how you're doing.

ETA: slow typing!! But you get the point since Julie has made the same suggestions!

Rolling on into day five here, eating my four hard boiled eggs :) I was doing good every morning making veggies to scramble into eggs, but the last couple days I just haven't wanted to. So I just boil some eggs and it gets me through.

For now, I feel like I'm doing well with eating. I don't feel like I want a snack all the time and I'm not sad about "missing out" on sugary treats. But I'm just kind of blah over here. It's strange. Food used to be about the only thing I thought about, when was I eating next, what am i eating next, etc...

I didn't think I'd feel this way this early on (not a bad thing, right?) but some nights I consider just going to bed without even eating dinner. Anyone else feeling this way?

Okay day 4 was rough. I yelled at a coworker and maybe said a few swear words or 2.  Apologized for yelling and explained it was my diet coke and sugar addiction getting the best of me. I went to bed early last night because I was exhausted. Day 5 still pretty grumpy, my goal is to not kill anyone today. Can't promise I won't swear at them.

Cravings aren't so bad on day 5...the donuts have finally stopped yelling my name from the break room!  :P  I was exhausted last night and went to bed at 8:30 when my hubby left for work.  Much better today!  Although I'm very warm (and I'm ALWAYS cold).  Anyone else?  It's 36 and rainy here so not like it's warm out.  

Happy day 5 everyone :)

My headaches - which were lingering on yesterday - have cleared today, I actually feel pretty great! Not craving sugar at all today, which is quite a surprise (in fact, it is completely astounding) although again I really didn't fancy savoury at breakfast time. Had an omelette with apple and a teaspoon of almond butter which worked a treat.

I am finding I get a very clear signal when I am full - weirdly it is almost like nausea, I couldn't eat another bite if I tried and it isn't due to meal size as I'm doing slightly smaller meals if anything and finishing when I get the 'stop' message. 

Also - my mid-afternoon slump hasn't shown up for the past few days, I really hope that it continues that way - was one of my worst sugar craving moments...

Thanks @Cher1 @snowflower and @jmcbn for the recommendations for sauces etc - am eating quite a bit of unseasoned food due to time restrictions, think I'll make some sauces for the freezer this weekend...

@Saritawho? me too! (Love that you named your sugar dragon)

@SugaD broke my heart to read that you cried in your black coffee. But I feel you! Today seemed much better coffee wise for some reason. I made the coffee stronger and enjoyed it more.  I am training for my first half marathon 3/11. My runs have been super tough too. I really need this to pass quickly. 

@ChristinR  Thanks for the tip...haven't had blender success with my mayo. Ordering an immersion blender right now!

@pammelasue  I am having heat issues too. Not constantly but off and on...worse at night. Not helping my sleep...which is a huge non scale goal for me. 

Happy day 5, all!  Let's rock our first weekend!

I love the recommendations for recipes and sites around here :) I have one that I don't think has been mentioned...the wonderful Mel  Joulwan. She blogs at theclothesmakethegirl.com, and has written the Well Fed books. I just bought her latest book, Well Fed Weeknights, which is all Whole30 compliant recipes you can make in 30-45 minutes. It's been a godsend in our house, cos me and my husband both work during the day and need to get home and crack on with dinner, and kids' homework and baths etc or things get messy. Hangry kids. Stressy adults. Yelling and mayhem ensue. Etc. 

Another good day for me yesterday. Breakfast: 3 lazy devils (nom nom paleo), with halapenos, and carrot sticks. Lunch: leftover baked chicken and potato hash, watermelon afterwards. Mistake by not adding any extra fat to lunch, which led to... Snack: banana and cashew butter. Snacking is something I really want to move away from so will learn the lesson there and improve next time. Dinner: kale and date salad with chicken and almonds (Well Fed Weeknights). 

By a happy coincidence, we ordered a big shipment of herbal teas prior to starting this, and they arrived yesterday. Sat down and had a coconut and melon tea yesterday afternoon. Felt like a cocktail in a teacup. 

5 hours ago, JaneD said:

For now, I feel like I'm doing well with eating. I don't feel like I want a snack all the time and I'm not sad about "missing out" on sugary treats. But I'm just kind of blah over here. It's strange. Food used to be about the only thing I thought about, when was I eating next, what am i eating next, etc...

I didn't think I'd feel this way this early on (not a bad thing, right?) but some nights I consider just going to bed without even eating dinner. Anyone else feeling this way?

@JaneD this could just be a temporary thing as your tastes change over the coming days... Like, you're not used to the cauliflower rice and so aren't looking forward to having it for dinner in the evening..? Not sure what seasonings you're adding but you could maybe add some more stuff to your building block protein/veg/fats. Guacamole instead of plain avo? Ranch dressing instead of mayo? I'm not sure whether this resonates for you but just wanted to reach out with a couple of ideas to help you get over this hump ^_^

@Mountain Girl you won't regret it! It's so great for other things too. I puréed the butternut squash soup with it last night.

@Sunflour Oh my that tea sounds amazing! Can you share the brand name? I love hot tea anyways, but have decided to drink that instead of coffee, because if I'm being honest, it's more about the flavor creamer than the actual coffee! :D

Hello everyone! I love reading the posts and seeing where everyone is and what struggles and successes we are each having. It's very encouraging!

@JaneD maybe try a new spice blend or sauce to top off your meat. Or try a new regional food flavor- Indian curry, Mexican, Mediterranean, creole, Thai, Korean. The farmers market added some flare for me this week. And finding fresh, local sources for meat and vegetables is great in the winter.

@Sunflower yes, that tea sounds wonderful. Will you let us know what brand it is? And thanks for another recipe source. So many new recipes to try. I like it! :-)

so last night I dreamed I was eating lentils.  Like really? Lentiles? Why? 

Archived