Starting Jan. 16th!

ChristinR

I'm loving following along with everyone's journey! It's really awesome to see the recipes everyone has tried and the NSVs that are beginning to surface!

My favorite foods this week were the stuffed bell peppers from The Whole30 (p. 222) and a quick salmon recipe I found online and modified. All you need are salmon filets and your favorite vegetable(s) - I usually use broccoli. 

Preheat oven to 450. In a cast iron skillet, sear salmon fillets seasoned with sea salt and pepper in ghee (skin side up) for 1 minute. Turn fillets skin side down and add vegetables to skillet. Add whatever seasonings you like to vegetables (I use sea salt and Cajun seasoning)  and cook for 10-12 minutes in the oven depending upon the thickness of the filets. Super easy and delicious! Had it for breakfast this morning.

One week down, y'all!  Rock on!!

Jill

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, Herz51089 said:

I made the chicken chowder from the book yesterday and there definitely wasn't any sugar in it but the taste was sweet. Had to add some more peppers and onions to it to make it more savory for myself. Maybe your taste could be changing too? There could also be sugar but I noticed that for myself. Interested to know if it does have sugar in it or just tastes like sugar like the chowder did for me. 

I am quite keen to try the chowder, can you taste the coconut from the coconut milk in it? 

14 hours ago, Cher1 said:

Trying to increase my water intake. What else are you guys drinking? 

Homemade kombucha, tea (black, green, and herbal), coffee, and sparkling water (which I drink out of a wine glass at wine o'clock in the evening because psychology!).

Yesterday breakfast: baked chicken wings, sauteed cabbage, mayo. Hungry at 11 so had snack of meatballs w/ avocado. Lunch: leftover meatballs, garlic cauli mash, maranara sauce, avocado. Dinner (we had a friend over for dinner): roast lamb, duck fat roast potatoes (soooo good...), coleslaw. Watermelon and coconut cream afterwards.

So I want to try and eat breakfast within an hour of waking. And I realised I find this a real challenge. In the weekend I'll make coffee and retreat back to bed, and weekdays I'll wait till I'm work to have breakfast. This morning I had tea and breakfast first thing and had to work hard to get down what I know is a normal breakfast for me. So this will take some time to bed in I think...

Weekdays, I really don't want to eat at home. I like my at-work breakfasts, but will now leave the coffee till after breakfast. Would it get a similar result to have like a pre-workout snack at home before I leave do you think? Just to get my system up and running?

Day 7 thoughts for food:

-I really need protein variety. Last night I made a roasted butternut squash soup because I feel like I need a meat and egg cleanse ;).

-I'm enjoying the self-control I have been able to exercise.

-My pickled jalapeños would taste a lot better with that tablespoon of sugar.

-Bloating has not returned since I started. 

-I've pretty much given up coffee because I'm not into just black. Bittersweet. Good bye coffee. But not forever.

-I like having a full fridge and consistent grocery shopping. It's helped me save $ on eating out and makes it easier to pass up simple carbs.

-In the mornings I wake up with very sharps pains below my sternum which seem to subside when I finally eat (even if I'm not hungry).

-I totally licked the knife after making a PB&J for my daughter, ooops.

Congratulations to all of us for finishing week one! 

Challenges for me: low blood sugars, adding rice or noodles to dishes and all the time in the kitchen

Wins for me: finding new and creative ways for food, enjoying my taste buds, and sharing the word about the whole 30! Added bonus is you all are the great support system that I need! 

For those of you having problems with constipation and other GI woes, be sure to search/post in the "Troubleshooting" section of the forum... lots of great advice and help over there: http://forum.whole30.com/forum/19-troubleshooting-your-whole30/

Here is a GREAT resource for anyone experiencing challenges when transitioning to a Paleo lifestyle (I hope you can open it): http://my.chriskresser.com/wp-content/uploads/membership-files/ebooks/Paleo Diet Challenges & Solutions.pdf?_ga=1.30327225.740285669.1466702466

Good luck!

Week 1 down, Congrats everyone!

Week 1 down and I'm doing ok with the diet. Sugars, carbs, milk, I think I actually feel better without them. I'd like an evening glass of wine, but sparkling water with a lime in a wine glass is working just fine. Traveling back home tomorrow so I can (Finally!) get my steroid shot in my periformis muscle...keep fingers crossed that it works.

i caught up on my sleep today. My breakfast was at noon O.o

meal 1: reprisal of my egg white breakfast "buritto" with chicken sausage from the farmers market this time. Avocado tomatillo salsa and homemade guacamole , coffee with almond milk

meal 2: stir fry -- farmers market veggies, chicken with fishy sauce,garlic, ginger stir fried in coconut oil.

snack: pecans & almonds with fruit salad

no meal 3 today, needed sleep 

Wow---made it through one whole week!

Anyone else having any kind of stomach issues? My stomach has been bothering me the past few days--sometimes I can hear it rumbling--but I"m not hungry. Another odd thing, I'm surprisingly not hungry for ANYTHING nor do I really care to eat. This is a very odd turn of events because I always know when and what I want to eat. I wasn't hungry at all for dinner yesterday, but didn't want to wake up starving. So I ate a bit of chicken and roasted butternut squash. 

Well happy day 8 everyone!

19 minutes ago, abbeyw28 said:

Anyone else having any kind of stomach issues? My stomach has been bothering me the past few days--sometimes I can hear it rumbling--but I"m not hungry. Another odd thing, I'm surprisingly not hungry for ANYTHING nor do I really care to eat.

I have been having some stomach cramps and definitely some bloating since yesterday as well. My stomach always used to make noises like that, usually, it was because I ate something that didn't agree with me too well. But hopefully, these stomach issues will go away after a bit!

Yesterday was also weird because I wasn't all that hungry! I had a late meal 1 (ate around 11:30), and even then it was way smaller than normal. I normally don't eat a lot on Sundays to begin with, I am not sure why but I am never really that hungry on Sundays haha. 

Meal 1: 1 fried egg, mashed sweet potatoes and some guacamole. 

Meal 2: Lettuce wraps with mayo, chicken, carrots and guac with a side of blueberries

Meal 3: 4 bacon wrapped dates (I found compliant sugar free bacon at the West Side Market here in Cleveland), mashed sweet potatoes and steamed broccoli. 

I don't think I am getting too bored with the food yet but I can see it happening in another week. There was a sale at the grocery store on frozen sustainably wild caught shrimp and Ahi tuna so I picked up some for this week. I think it will be Meal 1 that gets to me though. I have trouble eating savory non-breakfast items in the morning. I miss my greek yogurt haha. 

6 minutes ago, kpenrod1 said:

I have been having some stomach cramps and definitely some bloating since yesterday as well. My stomach always used to make noises like that, usually, it was because I ate something that didn't agree with me too well. But hopefully, these stomach issues will go away after a bit!

Yesterday was also weird because I wasn't all that hungry! I had a late meal 1 (ate around 11:30), and even then it was way smaller than normal. I normally don't eat a lot on Sundays to begin with, I am not sure why but I am never really that hungry on Sundays haha. 

Meal 1: 1 fried egg, mashed sweet potatoes and some guacamole. 

Meal 2: Lettuce wraps with mayo, chicken, carrots and guac with a side of blueberries

Meal 3: 4 bacon wrapped dates (I found compliant sugar free bacon at the West Side Market here in Cleveland), mashed sweet potatoes and steamed broccoli. 

I don't think I am getting too bored with the food yet but I can see it happening in another week. There was a sale at the grocery store on frozen sustainably wild caught shrimp and Ahi tuna so I picked up some for this week. I think it will be Meal 1 that gets to me though. I have trouble eating savory non-breakfast items in the morning. I miss my greek yogurt haha. 

Thanks @kpenrod1 it's good to know that I'm not alone in both the stomach issues and the not really caring to eat. BTW I really need to find bacon.....:) 

Just checking in guys...

Sleep might have gone backwards a bit last night. I think I need to work on finishing my hydrating earlier in the evening. No constipation today though:rolleyes:

Being gone all weekend has me set back a bit. No meals planned or prepped yet...getting on that right now...but my immersion blender comes today!  Excited to try the mayo again. 

@Cher1 Can I just say how impressive it is that you actually STARTED this in the middle of a beach vacay?  I SO would have waited until I got home. 

@abbeyw28 I stumbled on bacon this weekend...I kid you not. We had guests at the lake this weekend and they did breakfast for everyone (except me) one morning and made bacon and blueberry pancakes. They asked if I could have the bacon and I said that bacon is allowed but it's really hard to find compliant bacon because it is almost always cured with sugar. I saw the package in the trash after breakfast and just for grins grabbed it to look....NO SUGAR! Nothing that I recognized as non compliant. I went to the forum and put the brand in the search and all the posts I found said it was ok. It was Smithfield LOW SODIUM bacon. They just purchased it at out local regional grocery...not even a health food store. But according to what I read in the forum, only the LOW SODIUM is complaint. For whatever reason, when they reduced the sodium they took out the sugar...all other Smithfield bacon has sugar. 

@Jenn1256 I found my slow cooker paleo cookbook.  It's a tiny thing...spiral bound but looks to have some good recipes. I'm doing the chili tonight. There definitely are some that will not work...I know I saw honey glazed chicken wings...but most seem to be.  If you are interested, PALEO SLOW COOKER by Dana Summers. I'm pretty sure I got it from Amazon.  There are even some breakfasts that look worth a try.

Week 2....here we go! Let's do this!

i spend a lot of time in the kitchen as well but prep veggies while watching favorite shows in the living room to cut time in kitchen. So much energy and I'm since I started and had to start over 2 times for oopsies (not being attentive enough with almond milk once and almond butter the second time) I'm realizing sugar causes my anxiety, I'm so happy to exclude it from my diet!!!

Hi ladies!

I haven't posted a comment since my intro, (I'm a bit shy) but I have been following each of your posts everyday for a lots of motivation and encouragement! I am happy we are experiencing the some of the same things and are doing this altogether! I am not alone :) 

My journey has been going well so far! Label reading, grocery shopping and prepping are hard like you've all said, but have been able to make it through each day successfully... although I have been feeling a little hungry at night. I've tried new yummy recipes- wasn't a fan of one and even made a successful batch of mayo! (using my mom's immersion blender.. that thing is magical!)

I was at my cousins last night for a PATRIOTS dinner gathering. YAY GO PATS! SUPERBOWL HERE WE COME!! I brought my own food. I made the Zuppa Toscana from the Paleo website and it was good! But boy was it hard denying the HOMEMADE lasagna and bread sticks loaded with mozzarella cheese and PASTA (my inner Italian me wanted to grab the serving spoon and take a bite or ten, lol) and not to mention the HOMEMADE CANNOLIS and cupcakes and chips and an alcoholic beverage, etc.,! But I made it through!

Today, not to mention the typical Monday struggle, I am feeling extremely tired. I did however run a 5K race yesterday morning. I felt a little weak while running. Hopefully that will improve! I also go to Orange Theory Fitness 3x per week and that too has been taking a toll on me along with the restricted diet......

That's all for now. 1 week down, 3 more to go!

You all rock! Keep on going.. we can do this!!

So I have been sick with a head cold. No fun because I want to have all the off plan foods. Today I stayed home from work sick, wasn't wanting to get up. I am also not wanting to eat, and when I do I feel sometimes like I am forcing myself. I found some bacon at the Sprouts store, was so excited. I just want to lay on the couch and drink OJ but I will stick to water. So excited that I made if 7 days. Here's to 21 more

Congrats to all of you through who have the first week down! I started a couple of days behind so day 6 for me... The days so far have been (really surprisingly) okay. Good, even. Have been at home those days though, looking after my kiddo. Back to work today, with the snack table, morning teas, etc. There's such a culture of it that one of our national health officials came out a couple of weeks ago and recommended we ban workplace morning teas, or something equally strong armed!    

Am MAKING myself eat a compliant breakfast now, 20 mins after waking, with no coffee till I'm at work. Ugh, hard work on both fronts. 

Yesterday. Breakfast: chicken nibbles w cabbage and mayo. Lunch: lazy devils w coleslaw, watermelon. Dinner: sweet and sour pork w cauliflower rice, watermelon afterwards. 

@JoannaC welcome! 

YEAH for week one down!  Congrats everyone.  I too have had some GI issues with bloating and irregular BM's.  Lets hope today is a new day.  My meal preps have been all eaten up and I need to start anew today.  I have tandoori chicken marinating, it was so good I had to make it again this week.  Planning on doing an herb crusted pot roast with a squash and tomato sauté and pork chops with creamy chipotle sauce (found on wholesomelicious.com).  I made some soup the other day to accompany the stormy weather.  Hot sausage with leeks, parsnips, potatoes, fennel, onions and kale, I have quite a few servings left to last me through the week.  Soup helps change up the monotony of the meal preps.  I also made one of our household favories, Tex-Mex Hash breakfast casserole from PaleoOMG.  SOOOOOO good and leftovers are even yummier.  

I'm not having any issues with cravings or hangovers from not having certain foods.  My only true vice was my morning latte, having a creamy hot beverage while I checked the news and email was my little escape.  I have been doing fine without my substitute of espresso in a small amount of coconut cream.  I do miss my nightly glass of wine or beer, but I don't have a craving for it now.  My only true challenge is to actually eat every 4-5 hours.  I have been feeling bloated and blah with sudden urges to have a BM (sorry for the TMI).  According to the timeline and everyone's posts, I am doing just fine.  My patience with my kids and husband is thin but lucky I catch myself and they are pretty understanding.  Off to the gym now to crank out some laps in the pool.

Happy Monday! 

Weekend was full out meal planning, grocery shopping, and meal prep. I like our system this theme around - my mom and I sat down to discuss and plan and then I had hear read off the ingredients for each recipe. Then I compiled a master list. Definitely helped make sure we didn't miss anything and especially helped with quantity of things (although we will need more limes, but that's easy to pick up). I did the shopping on Saturday, and I realized my "normal" routine was causing a maaaajor pizza craving, as I always pick up a little gf pizza from Sprouts on the days I do my shopping, because I don't like to cook when I get home. Of course that was not on the list this time, and I was having a craving. But it will all be worth it in the end, right?!

Sunday was meal prep day. I made a double recipe of the spinach frittata from the whole30 book, but Mexican style and in a casserole dish. Much easier to cut a slice and pack for work. @Sunflour I also don't eat breakfast until I get to work, which is maybe two hours after waking. I jut don't have the time, and food just sounds gross to me that early. I hope that doesn't screw me up too bad, but I never feel truly awake until that drive into work.

I prepped a few other meats that required marinating, so they're ready to go for dinners, and I also made a protein salad with chicken, green onion, strawberries, and dry toasted pecans (oh my so delicious). My mom will cook most of the dinners, which we doubled all the recipes for, so the leftovers will be lunches. Overall I felt better having more control over the meal planning. :D

Have a great week y'all!

2 hours ago, JoannaC said:

...not to mention the typical Monday struggle, I am feeling extremely tired. I did however run a 5K race yesterday morning. I felt a little weak while running. Hopefully that will improve! I also go to Orange Theory Fitness 3x per week and that too has been taking a toll on me along with the restricted diet......

Welcome JoannaC! Are you doing Pre-Workout and Post-Workout snacks/meals? (pre = protein+fat, post = protein+starchy carb) Are you getting enough starchy veggies in your meals in general? (yam, winter squash, parsnips, beets, etc) These things can help with energy/endurance levels and having enough fuel for a demanding exercise schedule. Another thing to really consider is reducing the intensity of your exercise schedule until your body catches up. The body goes through a lot on the Whole30, and it's important not to over-exercise! (can create too much stress/inflammation). Good luck, and don't be shy to post! We're all family here.  : )

I haven't posted any recipes that I have loved from the Whole 30. Here are my two favorites thus far... 

Chili from the Whole 30 book (pg. 342)

Gołąbki (stuffed cabbage deconstructed) posted on the instagram page 

Both are super easy and great for lots of leftovers! 

Happy Day 9!  Almost into double digits!  

For those of you not feeling hungry and having funny tummy feelings....those were both normal for me in my first Whole30.   Hang in there.  I encourage you to eat a small meal at the normal time, even if you're not feeling hungry.  Make it a mini meal that fits the template, only with smaller portions.

@medictrina  I googled that PaleoOMG tex-mex breakfast casserole....it looks so good and I'll make it tomorrow!  I love a breakfast casserole... they make my morning routine a little easier.

@kpenrod1  This is just me being nosy.....your meals look low in protein to me.  How are you feeling?  Are you able to go 4-5 hours between meals?  Do you work out?  How has your energy been?

Welcome to all the new posters!  We've got a big group here!  

Happy day 9! 

Yesterday had a few challenges - made the no-fuss salmon cakes which turned into a bit of a disaster (a massive fuss) when I accidentally set the oven to grill rather than fan. Cue very crispy salmon cakes. Hopefully the burnt bits aren't non-compliant!! They tasted OK but were a bit smaller and crunchier than they were supposed to be I think...

Also discovered I accidentally ate non-compliant dried fruit a few days ago, and that my migraine meds had non-compliant elements. I am not going to start again but a bit frustrated! In the latter instance there wasn't much I could do about it so going to just move on and focus on the next 21 days. 

I also had intense food dreams! Can't remember them now thank goodness. 

Today is good, had some delicious smoked salmon for breakfast and leftover brisket at lunch. Going to make some guacamole later and have it for breakfast with bacon tomorrow. And perhaps some crunchy salmon cake for dinner. 

Over the past few days my appetite definitely disappeared, would have happily skipped meals, but it seems to be coming back now...

Have a good day everybody - according to the timeline tomorrow and the next day are the most difficult - am bracing myself :)

On 1/22/2017 at 3:29 PM, Sunflour said:

sparkling water (which I drink out of a wine glass at wine o'clock in the evening because psychology!)

@Sunflour Me too!  We got a Soda Stream for Christmas and I am loving some plain ol' bubbly water in my favorite wine glass!  AND I can drink lots of it and never get the least bit tipsy!  LOL  :lol:

Anyone else feel like they're a little behind the timeline? I know everyone's experience can be different, but I think I had the "kill all the things" attitude on Sunday (day 7) and have been very tired yesterday and today (days 8 & 9). Reaaallly missing that sweet flavored cup of coffee right about now, but sipping on some peppermint tea instead. 

Still struggling to up my water intake, and have to start exercising this week. Feeling tired has not helped my motivation at. all. :blink:

Oh and for those looking for crockpot meals: http://www.thekitchn.com/10-times-the-slow-cooker-made-whole30-possible-239447

22 hours ago, medictrina said:

I made some soup the other day to accompany the stormy weather.  Hot sausage with leeks, parsnips, potatoes, fennel, onions and kale, I have quite a few servings left to last me through the week.  Soup helps change up the monotony of the meal preps.

@medictrina, that soup sounds wonderful! I'm going to try making,some this week. Thanks!

Archived