What I have discovered so far...

SaraK

Hiya,

Started the Whole30 8 days ago and I am really amazed at how quickly I have been able to adapt  and shift some very profound lifelong habits surrounding food. Some of the changes I have made in the last 8 days are changes and have eluded me for years.  I'm making this entry here right now because I want to remember what this moment of clarity feels like. I know I have a long way to go both in my Whole30 and in the months and years beyond it to transform my body  but right here, right now, this is where I am: 

The first shift  I have made in beginning the Whole30 is eating meat. I have been a vegetarian for most of my life (I'm 34)  and eating meat regularly  is a huge change.   

Before starting the whole30 I ate a fairly healthy and whole foods vegetarian/ pescatarian diet. Tons of veggies, tofu, tempeh,  quinoa, chickpeas, lentils.  However, as a lifelong vegetarian I was always hungry. Always. Up until last week, I would finish eating a delicious and healthy meal and would feel exactly the same as I did before I ate it.  So I would eat more. And then I would eat more. And then I would eat a bit more and then maybe I would feel... not full but sort of numbed to the sensation of hunger.

Since starting the Whole30 I feel completely satiated after every meal. I don't know if this is because of the animal protein or the Whole30 as a whole but it's certainly a postive change! Despite all the cooking and prepping and meal planning I do, feeling satiated after eating a meal has actually made me less obsessed with food overall. I know that sounds like such a simple thing but understanding what it feels like to be full is making a dramatic difference for me in the way I think about food and how food fuels my body. 

I have been overweight my entire life and although I have never eaten junk food or donuts, drank soda or hidden a stash of candy bars in an undisclosed location, I do have a two decade old habit of skipping meals,  eating inconsistently, eating dinner late at night and as mentioned before, overeating. More than giving up sugar or booze or integrating meat into my diet, these have been some of the most difficult patterns to break (and they have been patterns I have been trying to break for years) 

So far, I have been 100% consistent about eating three meals a day and not eating past 7pm.  I still have a long way to go and a lot of work to do but I am feeling really excited for what is next and how I can keep learning and growing from this experience. 

Thanks for listening, 

Sara

Archived