Day 14- constant bloating and stomach hurts :(

LA_girl

Hi everyone! Thanks so much for all the advice posted so far-- I swear I'm constantly reading these posts, whether it's recipes/advice/encouragement!

I'm just finishing Day 14 of my first Whole30. What drove me to do this seemingly crazy (but great!) diet was a food poisoning/stomach flu back in December and constant gas previous to starting. I've also been a slave to the sugar/fried foods dragon, but I think this diet has really helped me be in control of my cravings again. Yes!! :)

However, I'm still constantly gassy and bloated, with some days better than others. Yesterday, I after breakfast, I had such bad gas, it made working hard. After reading the forums, I took a digestive enzyme, which helped. Today however, during my pre work-out snack (grapes-- not ideal, my grandmother served them to me! and jerky), I also felt rumblings and had to go to the bathroom 3x in an hour. I've eliminated nuts for the past few days and nightshades and cauliflower for the past week. But still these problems :( it's discouraging bc I thought these issues would subside, and I don't want to rely on a digestive enzyme forever. Around as recently as November, I didn't have really any trouble digesting anything nor gas (aside from possibly feeling some signs of lactose intolerance). I used to have a flat stomach, but it's been looking like I'm carrying a food baby all the time! lol

Here's my food diary:

Day 12 (fairly low amt of gas): Breakfast/lunch (work up late on Sunday :P)- kale sweet potato frittata, avocado, blueberries. 2 ground beef meatballs from left overs bc I was still hungry. 

-Snack- mango, strawberry smoothie (bad I know as well, but had to use this coupon)

-Dinner- Chicken, spinach, spaghetti squash, napa and cabbage soup, banana

Day 13 (terrible gas after breakfast): Breakfast- kale sweet potato frittata, avocado

-Lunch- Ground beef meatballs, spaghetti squash, spinach, topped wshort rib ragu 

-Dinner- Chicken, spinach, spaghetti squash. Cashew milk, blueberries, banana + almond  butter. Digestive enzyme taken and felt better :)

-Postwork out meal- pork/napa soup, a little kombucha. 

Day 14 (moderate gas): Breakfast- kale sweet potato frittata, avocado

-Lunch- Ground beef meatballs, spinach, spaghetti squash, topped w short rib ragu. Coconut flakes and strawberries.

-Snack- grapes (I know this isn't the best), jerky --> during/after workout, stomach felt really bad, needed to go to the bathroom after a few times

-Dinner: Chicken, spinach, spaghetti squash, avo. Strawberries, mango, coconut almond milk. A little kombochua. Digestive enzyme taken and felt much better. 

Also, how long after a meal should I expect to feel symptoms? In the past, I can tell if a meal has produced gas usually a few hours, but can it be from the day before? I know there are some other things in there people have mentioned as possible culprits (avocado, coconut, eggs), but my mind is being stretched on what to substitute in their place! :P 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! :) Thank you so much!

**the ragu is mostly sauce, not much meat in it.

***some times I'm so full I can't imagine eating more fat on top of everything. Any suggestions? I've been trying to avoid nuts because of their possible GI issues but sometimes give in.

3 hours ago, LA_girl said:

Day 12 (fairly low amt of gas): Breakfast/lunch (work up late on Sunday :P)- kale sweet potato frittata, avocado, blueberries. 2 ground beef meatballs from left overs bc I was still hungry. 

-Snack- mango, strawberry smoothie (bad I know as well, but had to use this coupon)

-Dinner- Chicken, spinach, spaghetti squash, napa and cabbage soup, banana

Day 13 (terrible gas after breakfast): Breakfast- kale sweet potato frittata, avocado

-Lunch- Ground beef meatballs, spaghetti squash, spinach, topped wshort rib ragu 

-Dinner- Chicken, spinach, spaghetti squash. Cashew milk, blueberries, banana + almond  butter. Digestive enzyme taken and felt better :)

-Postwork out meal- pork/napa soup, a little kombucha. 

Day 14 (moderate gas): Breakfast- kale sweet potato frittata, avocado

-Lunch- Ground beef meatballs, spinach, spaghetti squash, topped w short rib ragu. Coconut flakes and strawberries.

-Snack- grapes (I know this isn't the best), jerky --> during/after workout, stomach felt really bad, needed to go to the bathroom after a few times

-Dinner: Chicken, spinach, spaghetti squash, avo. Strawberries, mango, coconut almond milk. A little kombochua. Digestive enzyme taken and felt much better. 

You're eating a lot of high FODMAP foods which I've highlighted for you in red above. The ragu could also be problematic depending on the tomatoes used for it.

I'd cut WAY back on these, increase the likes of the kombucha and any other foods high in probiotics like sauerkraut (small servings as it's cabbage based), and kimchi.

Replace your avocado with mayo or ghee until your gut settles down. Eggs should be fine. Nuts should be eaten in moderation only anyways - a closed handful every other day max (this INCLUDES nut butters/milks etc so you're definitely over-loading here) but, yes, avoid them until your gut settles.

The thing about FODMAPs is that those sensitive to them have a tolerance threshold for each individual food. The problems start once you go over that threshold, and tend to worsen when you start combining FODMAPs together in one meal (ie. sweet potato & avocado) and can worse further when you eat them at each meal. When the gut is allowed a chance to heal it is entirely possible to reintroduce the offending items, but you'll have to be wary of daily dosage.

Take a look at the chart about half way down >this page<, have a read at the article, and try eating only from the green list until your symptoms subside.

Hope this helps.

I would stop all the brassica, even if not high FODMAP.  That includes broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, brussel sprouts, kale, bok choy and more for a few day and see if that helps.  That really helped my bloating.  Do you take a PPI, proton pump inhibitor, like prilosec? That can sometimes cause problems but can sometimes help.  I'd go for the digestive enzymes for a little while, the increase in veggies and meat can be tough, although it sounds like this was happening before Whole 30.  You might also try a day or two without eggs, they can be an allergen.  I have taken a licorice and aloe drink called glutagenics that is very helpful to get things to calm down, it's on Amazon and I think compliant but very expensive.  There is a new supplement called FD Guard that is a menthol, caraway seed oil combo and is available at Walgreens and Amazon and is pretty amazing for digestive problems, compliant but again expensive.  And it is possible that you have developed some gut problems that Whole 30 can't fix, like H. pylori ( a bacteria in the stomach, feels like an ulcer).  If you can't get this calmed down, you should probably see your PCP or a  gastroenterologist and get tested.  I am presently taking caraphate, which coats the stomach and really helps.  It needs a prescription.

Archived