Going fruit-less for 30 days - how do I keep my carbs up?

LindaLee

I'm starting a hard-core 30 days tomorrow with no fruit and no nuts. I'm pretty sure I can keep my fats up with avocado, olives, etc., but am less sure about how to keep my carbs up, since fruits are so much higher in carbs than veggies. Any ideas on how I can do that without having to eat, say, 20 cups of spinach at every meal?

Thank you in advance -

Now that stone fruit season is over I haven't been eating hardly as much fruit, and it doesn't seem to be a problem. A little squash here, a little sweet potato there, roasted beets, maybe fried green plantains if you can get them where you live and your fruit avoidance doesn't extend that far?

Honestly I wouldn't worry about loading up on too many starchy carbs unless you feel like you need them. I eat mostly non-starchy veggies for breakfast and lunch and seem to have plenty of energy most days even if I don't have fruit. Having done the Atkins diet before, I can tell you I felt just fine and had plenty of energy with 30-40 net carbs a day. Just eat the veggies you feel like eating and listen to your body. It will let you know if you need more or not!

i know you are active, and I think you might be surprised what a better source of carbs sweet potatoes (and I'm not talking about a ton, just one per day or so), spaghetti squash, acorn squash, pumpkin, hubbard squash, delicato squash, butternut squash are. Soups, "pastas" (spaghetti squash), roasted ... there are lots of options!

I remember that sugar has been a problem for you and fruit could be triggering that! I suspect you will do fine with no fruit. Don't worry about the carbs!

Nice to hear. From reading the logs, you might want to be easy on the gym (and yourself!) for two weeks or so... don't forget that your body is going to be changing during that time. Keep working out, but don't be surprised if you go through a period of less performance or energy for a bit...

I'm glad to see you back!

Pumpkin rocks!

We currently have this bizarre squash in the fridge--we're calling it an "alien squash," but I think fingerling squash is actually it's name. It is phenomenal how many different types of squash there are out there, and what subtly different tastes they have!

Archived