Are nighttime panic attacks possibly a part of detox?

jennello

Hello everyone!

I have been diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder and panic attack disorder, although my symptoms have been MUCH better the last two-three years.  So imagine my frustration that, for the last 3 nights, I have fallen asleep and then woken up with severe anxiety and/or a panic attack!  The lack of sleep has made an already yucky Whole 30 "hangover" even more miserable...  I'm on Day 5- has anyone else experienced this during the first week?  And if so, when does it go away?  Thanks!

PS- I'm doing yoga, Epsom Salt Baths, meditating and journaling in the evening...  And I feel calm when I go to sleep- I'm just waking up in a sweat 1-2 hours later!  :/

• Administrators

It could be. Hormonal rebalancing is a big part of the Whole30, especially in the first half or so.  Is Whole30 a huge departure from the way you used to eat? Sugar or alcohol withdrawals can also cause that waking-at-night-in-a-sweat feeling.

Are you eating at least a fist sized serving of starchy veggie each day? If you aren't, start. If you are, try moving it to your evening meal. You could also try increasing to more than one serving. There's a direct link between carbohydrates and the serotonin in your brain so if you have inadvertently gone low-carb, that could cause it also.

Give us some details on what you've been eating, timing, quantities, fluids etc and how this might be different from before. Then we can try and give more directed feedback.

It is definitely a change but not a complete overhaul- I've always really liked vegetables so they've always been a big part of my diet, and I'm allergic to dairy so I already don't eat that.  I don't drink soda and have always liked my coffee black, so that part was easy for me! :)  I did have (mostly) whole grains on a regular basis beforehand so I think that's the biggest change, and I did have a little more sugar and alcohol in the weeks prior during the holiday season.

For the most part this week I've been doing a sausage/pepper/potato hash and fruit in the morning with a cup of coffee, a stuffed sweet potato with bacon/brussels/kale and an apple for lunch, and a chicken/spinach/spaghetti squash casserole for dinner.  Had to do almonds for a snack a couple times when I got hungry.  I drink lots of water normally but have noticed I've been more thirsty than normal as well, so I've upped my water intake.  I take Natural Calm on a daily basis- 650mg a day.  I've been doing that for about 2 years now- that's one of the hugest things I think helped with my generalized anxiety!

Thanks for your feedback so far- any additional feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Hi there - my first post, but definitely something I can relate to!  I am on R1D9.  I have GAD & PAD as well.  During the first week, I was going through everything on the timeline and felt "off".   Because of this, my anxiety was actually WORSE.

I was trying to figure out why and I realized that the "off" feeling from the worst days - light headed/dizzy, headache, etc. were the feelings I get before, during and after a panic attack.  They were essentially mimicking the feeling of having a panic attack, which then made me have one!  I'm sure you know what I mean as people with these disorders can worry so much about having an attack, that they give themselves one!

My sleep wasn't great either for the first week (still isn't) and I did wake up.  I think it may be the physical effects that then set you off in to the "panic spiral".  Of course, this is just my personal experience!  Good luck!  It does get better.  I am feeling loads better than I did on days 3-6.

Yeah- I called and made an appointment with my doctor, but she can't get me in until next week...  Oh well- this will either be resolved by then, or by next week I will be a zombie in her office!  

Okay- thanks for the feedback!  @WholeWallet30- I'm sorry you experienced that, but I'm glad to hear that this may fall into the range of "normal" and that it will hopefully go away soon.  Maybe the physical yuckiness is what is triggering such extreme reactions.  I wish they would happen during the day and not in the night, though- I need sleep now more than ever!! :)

If anyone else has any experience in this area, I would be glad to hear it!  Thanks!

Good news- no more nighttime panic attacks, but still a high amount of evening anxiety.  I've been able to manage some sleep though, so hopefully it will continue to get better as the days go on.  Who knew this would be one of the side effects??  I know that eventually The Whole 30 will help in this area, but it's rough initially!  Thanks, everyone!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2017 at 0:17 PM, jennello said:

a stuffed sweet potato with bacon/brussels/kale and an apple for lunch,

@jennello I'm not a mod, but it doesn't look like you're getting enough protein for lunch. I believe bacon counts more as a fat.  I know that I tend to get anxious if I've had too much coffee, haven't meditated, or my meals weren't well balanced.

Hope you're feeling better!

can I just say I have anxiety/depression issues and I had some weird "high-alert" moments and would wake up anxious at night - i'm on day 22 now and I get them less

also there is a strong link between caffeine and increased anxiety symptoms :)

I started my first whole30 on Jan 16.  I am on day 7 now.  I have struggled with anxiety throughout my life but have been good for a few years.  Day 2 triggered my anxiety and I barely slept.  Still anxious at times but have been able to sleep better the past couple nights.  It was not something that I was expecting but am hoping it will get better.  I am glad to hear that other people have experienced this.  I have had much more energy during the day even if I don't sleep well which is nice!  A friend recommended Natural Calm so might have to look into that too. 

Thank you all for sharing your experiences and advice!

@foursimplewords and @Jenn1256  Yes- it was definitely an unexpected side effect!  I normally have a thought/thoughts with a panic attack, but it was like having a panic attack with no accompanying worrying thoughts.  I am on Day 15 and they are getting less frequent and less intense with time, so that's good!  Hang in there @Jenn1256- and definitely look into Natural Calm.  It has been amazing for me!  Start it slow though- a 1/2 tsp for 2-3 days, and then bump it up another 1/2 tsp.  I take 4 tsps (650 mg) a day now.

Archived