Period late, Whole30? or Start of Menopause?

kruddock

I am on Day 9, this is not my first Whole30 (probably 4th full?), I am 48 years old (turning 49 this year) and I normally have periods like clock-work, sometimes a day or 2 late, but I am on day 6 now.  I may have been going through perimenopause, hormones acting up, occasional hot flashes (maybe?) but I also have been dealing with some stressful issues with my mother (she has dementia) in the past 6 months which have also played with my emotions but that has been resolved since she has moved away at the end of July, so I'm not sure if its still that but I have been told that it does take awhile to get back to normal when you are under a lot of stress. I exercise at least 3 times a week (crossfit) and try to do yoga once a week.  When I am not on the Whole30 I eat fairly well but not Whole30. I would like to know whether my delayed or possibly missed period is due to the Whole30, menopause or maybe a combination of both? Otherwise I feel really good today actually, probably the best mood I've been in awhile. I can't say that I have any negative symptoms to speak of either, so I'm not too worried, just curious what anyone thinks.

• Administrators

Hey, @kruddock - hormonal rebalancing is a pretty large part of Whole30 so even though you stick fairly close to it when off, most people will experience at least a small shift when they start again. Combine that with your age and your stress level and I think you have a fairly reasonable explanation for your missed period. Unless you're pregnant. ;)

As always, see a doctor if you're worried..........but my suspicion is that it'll turn up. 

That's what I thought, thanks for the reassurance. I'll give it a while longer before I get really concerned.  When I think back, it might have been 3 days late the first time I did Whole30.  With the extra stress and also cutting out some extra things (coffee, nuts) and drastically cutting down on fruit (I've had maybe 3 servings of fruit since I started and all with meals), maybe my body is having to work a little harder to getting back to normal and adjust to hopefully a newly improved me! :D 

• Administrators

So not pregnant then. ;)

You're not low-carbing, are you? You've been around here awhile.....but just review your meals and make sure that you are having at least a fist sized serving of starchy veggie daily and probably could increase that a bit right now in the week that is leading up to your period (theoretically). :) 

I'm probably having the best Whole30 I have had, including the first time (although I did have a massive headache on Day 5 which I got over in a day or 2). I am being extra diligent this time and I am cutting out coffee & nuts and greatly reducing my fruit intake.  For carbs, I usually have some potato diced up in my breakfast hash, carrots at lunch and potato at supper.  Either sweet or regular potatoes. I will increase it a bit more though, just to be sure.  My water intake is excellent this time around.  I guess the only thing that hasn't been perfect is my sleep but I have always been a very light sleeper. I try to remember to take Natural Calm but sometimes I forget and don't want to be bothered to go downstairs and get it. I just bought some lavender Epsom salts though, so that should help. I have also started incorporating more good sleep hygiene. Thanks for the advice!

• 2 weeks later...

I still haven't got my period so I went to the doctor last week (18 days now). Not pregnant and from the questions he asked me, he thinks I'm in perimenopause, which is what I suspected.  I'm on Day 21 of my Whole30 today and one thing I have noticed is that I seem to be holding onto the weight more (feeling a little bloated) than in my previous Whole30's so I think there is some hormonal adjustments going on because from what I have read, that can be affecting weight loss. I am just going to keep on keeping on and perhaps extend to Whole60 because of these changes going on. Otherwise, still feeling good and I think following the Whole30 is probably the best thing I can do for myself right now.

Note: Doc also said that trouble sleeping can be from perimenopause too.

Archived