Compliant but still feeling guilty!

Urnesha

Soooooo... I don't know if this is a legitimate concern or if I'm overthinking this as I'm wont to do but I'm concerned about two things: 1. frying food and 2. sweet food ... and well 3. frying sweet food. :D I live in the tropics so ripe plantains are available year round and I swear to you there is nothing sweeter in the world that pan-fried ripe plantains. The really ripe ones where the skin is black and you think it should be thrown away. Those are the sweetest! I love them and they are compliant and it's so easy to cut up a plantain, pan fry it in coconut oil and split it between my three meals for the day (so I'm not eating a huge amount at any one meal) but I'm starting to feel guilty about it cause they are so darn sweet! It's a burst of sweetness in your mouth and my brain says that there is no way that could be good?? I don't binge on it and I don't eat it by itself, always with protein and veggies... so I'm okay right? Or is it too sweet?

And is it okay to fry food once I'm using coconut oil? I feel like I'm cheating anytime I pan fry something. Can I make a batter with egg and arrowroot flour and fry chicken with coconut oil? Regardless of whether it's complaint would this be bad for me?

• Moderators

If you're finding that you're craving the plantain... that you think about it all the time... that it's making you feel guilty... that it's keeping your sugar cravings alive then you should let go of the plantain.  I know they're delicious but besides the fact that what you've written sounds like maybe you have a bit of craving going on, you really should try and eat a variety of foods... that includes starchy carbs so plantain at every meal of the day is not ideal.

As far as frying, you can pan fry (items are not submerssed or even anywhere near being submersed in oil).  You may not deep fry foods.  As far as the chicken, if what you're trying to recreate is bad-for-you-but-delicious fried chicken, then no, the battering and frying would not be a great idea for your context.  Dredging your chicken in arrowroot would be fine. 

4 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

If you're finding that you're craving the plantain... that you think about it all the time... that it's making you feel guilty... that it's keeping your sugar cravings alive then you should let go of the plantain.  I know they're delicious but besides the fact that what you've written sounds like maybe you have a bit of craving going on, you really should try and eat a variety of foods... that includes starchy carbs so plantain at every meal of the day is not ideal.

As far as frying, you can pan fry (items are not submerssed or even anywhere near being submersed in oil).  You may not deep fry foods.  As far as the chicken, if what you're trying to recreate is bad-for-you-but-delicious fried chicken, then no, the battering and frying would not be a great idea for your context.  Dredging your chicken in arrowroot would be fine. 

Hmmm... good points! I don't think about plantain all the time. My brain is too busy thinking about bread! I'm much more of a flour craver than sweets craver hence the dreaming about cakes on day 5. I do love plantains but it's not that I have them with every meal each day. It's just that when I get them I have to use them before they spoil for I would have them often for about 2-3 days and then they'll be done for the week. The only other really starchy food I use is sweet potato cause a lot of the items on the safe starch lists that I've seen I cannot get here in the Caribbean (and I don't like cassava and edoes and the other root vegetables we have here). Well I can eat regular potatoes but I've decided not too as it's too easy to go overboard on those. I do eat a lot of veggies so I figured between the veggies, plantain and sweet potato I'm getting enough carbs. Is that incorrect? 

:D I'm not trying to recreate KFC or anything else. There are just some healthy versions of asian dishes that use pan frying with a corn starch batter that I would like to try and wonder if frying was allowed. 

Thanks for the advice! 

• Moderators

Really the only way to know if you're eating enough starchy carbs is if you feel stable... starches (especially for women) are often the key keepers of our sanity, mood, energy... the recommendation is one fist sized serving once a day to start... more if you are very active, need additional mood stabilization etc... we don't recommend less than the one serving.  I may have misread and thought you were having plantain 3x a day every day... your clarification makes better sense but maybe take a look at how many you're buying which you then have to eat right away.  Are carrots, beets, jicima, winter squash not readily available in your area?

As far as the chicken, yes I think this would be okay but again, no deep frying or even shallow frying... no more oil than you would use to cook eggs... :)

On 1/11/2017 at 9:54 PM, SugarcubeOD said:

Really the only way to know if you're eating enough starchy carbs is if you feel stable... starches (especially for women) are often the key keepers of our sanity, mood, energy... the recommendation is one fist sized serving once a day to start... more if you are very active, need additional mood stabilization etc... we don't recommend less than the one serving.  I may have misread and thought you were having plantain 3x a day every day... your clarification makes better sense but maybe take a look at how many you're buying which you then have to eat right away.  Are carrots, beets, jicima, winter squash not readily available in your area?

As far as the chicken, yes I think this would be okay but again, no deep frying or even shallow frying... no more oil than you would use to cook eggs... :)

Sorry for the slow response and thanks for the advice! Based on what you're saying I'm fairly sure that I'm getting enough starch. I work out 3-4 times a week and I always have enough energy to get through the day. Not feeling the mid-afternoon slump at all which is great! Will try to trade out the plantains for other stuff. I do eat a lot of carrots so if those count as a starch then yup, getting those in. I have beets in my fridge.... since Day 1 but I haven't used them yet. lol Will have to find a way to add them in. Maybe in a chicken salad this weekend. I had to google what jicima was.. don't know it at all and haven't ever seen it selling here and sadly, no winter squashes for me here. I haven't seen squash at all actually. We used to have when I was growing up but I haven't seen for years. We do have pumpkin though, does that count as a starch? 

16 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Pumpkin is a winter squash so yep, totally counts... carrots count too and the beets would be amazing if you chop them and then roast them in the oven with some olive oil and salt and pepper.

You live and learn! Had no idea that pumpkin is a winter quash! :D Thanks for the beet recipe. That sounds delicious! 

Archived