What is 'antioxidant'?

MirandaLegg

First hit on Google:

antioxidant
antɪˈɒksɪd(ə)nt/
noun
plural noun: antioxidants
  1. a substance that inhibits oxidation, especially one used to counteract the deterioration of stored food products.
    • a substance such as vitamin C or E that removes potentially damaging oxidizing agents in a living organism.

It's a good thing, and it's absolutely fine for Whole30 purposes.

Thanks, but from my understanding of food labels this is some kind of additive. Usually it is accompanied by some kind of E number which I can then search such as E330 bring citric acid ( which is ok on this programme).But every now and again I see it just listed as axtioxidant without any E number. I am just wondering if this could ever be a sulfite which is not ok.

Hi @MirandaLegg - I'm not sure about in the US (if that's where you are) but in the EU sulphites MUST be marked in bold on the label as it is one of the top allergens. When an additive is labeled as an antioxidant it is generally considered safe as they tend to be derivatives of vitamins, and certainly for Whole30 purposes the antioxidants are fine.

In the case of the coconut milk it's probably an emulsifier used to help mix the liquids.

Hope this helps :)

Archived