Problem with Extra Light Olive Oil not being Olive Oil

Minamyna

I mean, without a mass spectrometer or whatever you're never going to know for sure. You can do with other fat sources for the duration of your Whole30 if it's a concern. I have read that domestically produced olive oils should have a lesser chance of being adulterated.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Minamyna said:

I am concerned that it will be cut with soybean oil, thus totally invaliding a Whole30.

For Whole30 purposes, light olive oil is okay. You don't have to overthink this one. If the label says it contains soy, then avoid it, but otherwise, for Whole30 purposes, it's fine. This is one of those "carrot train to crazy town" type of deals -- we want you to do everything you can possibly do to ensure you're Whole30 compliant, but at some point, you just have to call it good. For instance, if you go to a restaurant, and you tell the server you can't have dairy, soy, legumes, sweeteners, and you go over what's in the stuff you're ordering, and the server says it's all good and has noted down what you're asking for, you don't have to go back to the kitchen and watch the chef to make sure he doesn't put your dry steak on a grill that at some point had peanut or soy oil or butter on it. You've done your due diligence, and as long as they don't bring your food out with obviously non-compliant stuff, you're good. That isn't a free pass to not ask the questions -- you still are responsible for what you do -- it's just that you're not responsible for what you cannot control, and if the label says something is compliant, then it's compliant. (Obviously, someone with a known allergy to soy is going to have to be more diligent, but that's different than just being Whole30 compliant.)

If you don't want to use the light olive oil, avocado oil as ultrarunnergirl mentioned can be a good option -- I think some are stronger flavored than others, so you may have to try different brands to find one you like if you don't have access to the one from Costco. You can also use high-oleic safflower or sunflower oils, walnut or macadamia nut oils, or some mix of different oils to suit your budget and taste buds. You can even do them with part coconut oil, up to maybe half (more than that and it'll solidify and be a weird texture when you refrigerate it).

26 minutes ago, Minamyna said:

@ArtFossil It specifically says at the bottom of the article that all "light" olive oils tested were impure.

@kirkor I am concerned that it will be cut with soybean oil, thus totally invaliding a Whole30.

@ultrarunnergirl Do you think it tastes avocado-y? It tends to make the mayo a little green?

The article adds as an after-thought (with no evidence presented):

1. Do not buy light olive oil or a blend; it isn’t virgin quality.

As I said, I don't care about using EVOO for making mayo. I use a delicious, compliant light-tasting olive oil that meets my goals and suits my needs. 

• Moderators
20 hours ago, Minamyna said:

@ArtFossil It specifically says at the bottom of the article that all "light" olive oils tested were impure.

@kirkor I am concerned that it will be cut with soybean oil, thus totally invaliding a Whole30.

@ultrarunnergirl Do you think it tastes avocado-y? It tends to make the mayo a little green?

I do not think it tastes avocado-y. The first one I used in the opaque metal can type container did make it greenish (La Tourangelle brand). Now, I use the one they sell at my Costco (big tall dark glass bottle, Chosen Foods brand) and it does not make it green. Very neutral taste.

• 11 months later...

Ultrarunnergirl, glad to hear the Costco avocado oil is lighter.  I only had the other brand in the can (which was also a bit pricey for mayo) and EVO on hand.  Used a mix of the two but the mayo was tinted green and a little more flavorful than I liked.  

Next trip to Costco I'll grab their avocado oil.  I had planned on buying a light olive oil yesterday when I went.  They didn't have that any more, just two huge jugs of something labeled as olive oil.   It was very yellow and in clear containers that looked like 3/4 of a gallon each.  Decided to pass as that's a lot of oil to use up before it goes bad.  

Archived