Catz 50 Journey W30R1

Cathie C

So, I am just finding this Whole30 Log. I  have been logging my daily's on my FB page. This is my Day 11.  So far, I haven't faced too may struggles on my journey. Few cravings, some tiredness, crankiness, emotional feels, but they all passed fairly quickly.....thankfully. I am doing this because 50 is (or was when I started my journey) 12 weeks away, and I do not want to enter my 50s feeling like I have been on a diet my entire life and will struggle even more to get this old body healthy (not to mention all the side effect of getting older and not taking care of your body).  Like most, I have struggled with my weight my entire life, slowly getting heavier and heavier, making being over 200 lbs my norm (sadly). I am fairly active, go to the gym regularly, eat mostly good, drink too much wine too many times a week, and try to be as healthy as I can be most of the time. However, starting 2017 at 218 lbs meant I was failing and needed to take some serious steps to get back my life and BE healthy ALL OF THE TIME, not just when it suited my current mood.  So, here I am on Day 11, feeling great and looking forward to making this a lifestyle not just another 30 day challenge.

2017 was a bit of a shocker to me too.  I weighed more than I did when I was pregnant and overweight.  I'd vowed never to get so heavy again and I'm glad that I'll be back in control before my almost 50 birthday rolls around.  I wish the weight would just come right off in minutes instead of weeks and weeks and weeks, but overall, I'm glad to just being living a more healthy lifestyle (even if I grumble during my own daily posts).  Your last line is pretty great about feeling great and looking forward to things.  

Day 12......Day 12! OMG, I have gone 12 days with no wine, bread, pasta, butter, chocolate....all those things I used as a so called treat because I ate so well for so many days in a row.  And, I don't miss them one bit.....ok, maybe my beloved glass of wine at the end of the night after a long day at work. But it is not a craving as much as I miss that 'sitting down and taking a deep breath while I take that first sip  and let myself relax for a few minutes ' feeling. Instead I have forced myself to read affirmations, catch up on Whole30 blogs, and watch another episode of a show I am enjoying AND getting to bed before 10pm. New habits are forming, and I am loving them. Last night I did the end of the week prepping and cooked a yummy dinner of my own version of turkey nachos over baked sweet potato fries.  It was both delicious and satisfying. Today I think I am in the Tiger Blood stage because I am feeling more confident with my abilities to complete the 30 days. And, that confidence is spilling over into other aspects of my life (Yay me). I got this!

Awesome job Cathie! 

You're almost at the 1/2 point and doing a great job.  The affirmations make such a difference, don't they? 

Making this a way of life is one of the best decisions I ever made and I love your positivity.

Keep up the great job and know that we're all cheering for your success!  :)

J

Day 14. Survived the weekend with no slip ups (yay me). Baked cupcakes with my granddaughter friday night and mindlessly licked my finger then spat the batter out and rinsed my mouth out with water so as to not have to consider it a cheat and start over (again yay me). Took the granddaughter to see the movie Sing Saturday and although the popcorn smelled good, I didn't crave any and managed to sit through the entire movie with no munching. Then later in the day spent time with my guy friend and didn't give in to having a drink with him and munching on chips while we watched movies (our norm is to get blowed on Sat. nights). He got wasted and woke up feeling like shit this morning, while I woke up ready to face the day (what an awesome feeling). 

I am doing this with my daughter who has already fallen while out with dinner with her non-supportive husband, so she is starting over today and will try to finish the journey with me. She wants me to come help her meal prep today otherwise she says she is quitting. I'm a little angry at her lack of commitment, but she is only 23 and has alot of responsibility on her shoulders with a full time management job and a 4 year old daughter AND no support from her husband in anything (not even in the everyday aspects of life). I have so been there as a young mom and a non-supportive husband. That is why her father and I divorced 12 years ago, he never supported anything I did but expected me to be the perfect wife and mother so that I didn't make him look bad. So, I will go spend the day at her house meal prepping in hopes that she will eat healthier this week and not rely on mommy to do it for her each day.

Otherwise, I am loving this new lifestyle. I love the foods I am eating, the time I am spending preparing meals even it they are simple. I have made homemade sweet potato soup, and tomato soup; both that taste delicious. And, am learning how to use compliant seasonings for flavor rather than oils, dairy, or bad-fats as flavor. I have always enjoyed fresh foods, veggies, and lean meats and normally that is my go to in meals, but I don't usually get created in the kitchen and would have never taken the time to make homemade soups.....and I love a good soup. Why would anyone buy soup in a can if they can put all the ingredients in the slow cooker and have yummy soup made of whole foods by the time they got home at the end of the day, and have enough for several servings. Not this girl any longer. I am already thinking of other concoctions I can try.

A year ago I signed up for small training group session at Club 24 and have been doing that 3-5 times a week for the past year, but because of sickness, work and the weather I haven't been in the gym for over a week, and only a handful of times since before Christmas. So, my goal this week is to get myself up at 5am and in the gym for the 530am class at least 4 times this week and get back into the habit of working our regularily......so easy it is to break that habit. 

Ok, enough time on the computer and time to get into the kitchen. I am hungry and need to make my weekly fritatta so off to the kitchen I go :)  Making two this time around, one for me and one for the daughter. Everyone have an amazing week, eat well, live well, and love life.

Day 15. I can't believe I am half way trough my 30 days. I am taking my break at work, eating my chicken chowder I made yesterday. I just might have to make more and eat this everyday. I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!  I feel great today. Hit the gym at 5:30 and my work out seemed almost easy although I am sure my arms will be sore beginning later in the day (it was arm day). This week my goal is to monitor my portions a little better and get control of my snacking. I normally have some sort of eggs/spinach for breakfast, a fruit snack in between breakfast and lunch, then lunch and another snack around 3pm (that's my most hungry time of the day), then dinner somewhere between 6 or 7pm. I have also been throwing in a snack of nuts or fruit after dinner. Given that I do a pretty good workout early in the morning, that probably isn't a bad schedule for me, but I am struggling with losing weight so I need to limit my intakes and burn more calories......yada yada yada. Looking forward to the next 16 days.

Day 16. Woke up easy this morning, hit the gym for my 5:30am training class, and got to work by 8:00am (about 45 min. earlier than normal). I feel good. Got to bed again late last night (like 10:30pm) but it didn't seem to effect me too badly in getting up at 5am.  Yay! The program is still going great. I haven't noticed big changes in the way my clothes are fitting or feel that I've lost weight. What I have noticed is the the dark circles that were developing under my eyes have all but faded, my skin looks smoother, hair feels better, my joints are not achy, and I am sleeping like a child. I am really hoping to be under the 200 mark at the end of my 30 days....that would be an 18 lb lose; but I will accept any number as long as I am closer to my goal. Like most, I have struggled with my weight my entire life, being over 200 lbs for the better part of 10 years now. I turn 50 in April and I am determined to NOT enter my 50s over 200 lbs, and hopefully more like 175 (or less).....I know agressive but I am running out of time.

I am looking forward to the 'tiger blood'.......take me away!

Day 17. I am a bit sad today as I have come down with a terrible cold and in my attempt to hit it before it wiped me out I took a dose of my usual Airborne (because that shit works if you can get it in you on the onset of a cold). The ingredient list is too small to read on the package, so I googled it after taking some only to discover that the very last ingredient is sucalose (an artificial sweetener). I am so mad at myself for not checking before ingesting. BUT, I am going to continue on my 30-day journey given the amount is trace on an individual dose, and may just continue past 30 days. I have a colonoscopy scheduled for Feb. 1 so will not start the whole reintroduction until at least Feb. 2. I am going to do a 10-day reintroduction, then back at another 30. I am hoping to drop 40 lbs (or more) before I turn 50 in April.

I am not really 'seeing' big results like some but I did put together a couple of selfies to compare. I can really see a difference from Oct. to Dec., but not a whole lot from Dec. to Jan. (my time on Whole30). In the Jan. picture, my eyes are puffy from this darn cold.  I do see it a bit in my clothes. My fleece vest I wear at work is much larger around my mid-section than it was when I first wore in a few weeks ago.

Besides feeling sickly, I actually feel pretty good (even all drugged up on cold meds). I am enjoying food and eating for all the right reasons instead of hiding behind food and looking for some sort of escape.  Here is to the next 13 days.....omg only 13....that's less than two weeks....I so got this!

d3c48728-1053-4785-a863-f95d53291b7c.jpg

Day 18.  I can see a glimpse of light at the end of my 30-day tunnel. I woke up a little groggy today due to cold meds wore off but dosed up again and am feeling great (sick but great). I am enjoying this new way of thinking about food and plan to continue way past the 30 days with an exception of indulgences now and again (with hope of not re-creating old habits). My plan is to do the reintroduction for 10 days then back for R2. So far, through this journey there seems to be one big thing starring me in the face that I know I need to change.....and, that is some of the people in my life that influence my no so healthy behaviors. There really is only one person left as I have spent the past year doing a sort of 'people' elimination thing because I was headed to a path that does not support my life goals. I have been dating this man who is much younger than me (15 years), and while it has been fun it really does not support those things that are most important to me in my life. My family. My career. My health. He is a generous and sweet man and he has been able to keep up with my adventurous cravings (camping, hiking, trying new things, etc.), but he is not really 'the man' for me. Honestly, I don't think there is 'the man' out there for me as none seem to want to accept me at both my best and worst, and I am getting too old to keep trying to make one of them fit!  It is funny how when you start breaking things down and really start looking inside yourself, the light beams through the cracks at where change needs to be made.

Anyway, back to my Whole 30. Just finished a bowl of homemade tomato soup that I made last week. I added a couple turkey meatballs for some protein and a cup of fresh (slightly steamed) spinach. It was yummy. I will never buy can soup again.  In the past 3 weeks, I have made sweet potato soup. tomato soup, and the chicken chowder. All were amazing and so easy to make. Who says cooking tasty healthy foods had to be hard. So far, everything I have cooked has been easy to prep, prepare, cook.....and EAT!  There just might be a cook inside me afterall.

12 more days....that is only a week and a half.....life is good (ok, besides this head cold I am suffering through)!

Day 19. Got a slow start to my day due to this head cold, but at least I got to see the Presidential Inauguration. Should be an interesting year ahead as President Trump settles into his new position and the world adjusts to this new United States. A part of me wants to be excited because Washington does need a change and Trump is the guy to do it, but another part of me is concerned that the greedy business man inside of Trump might do more damage than good and those of us in the middle class may be hurt the most.....I am hoping for the better outcome, but only time will tell.

I finally feel lighter today and even caught myself looking in the mirror and noticing some changes. My mid-section is definitely the biggest noticeable change. My bra isn't fitting quite as tight, the back fat (I know..yuck) is not as....yucky. Also, despite having this ugly cold, I feel really good.  I am seriously considering not doing a reintroduction and continuing this journey until my birthday in April. I don't know yet. Guess that choice will come after Feb. 1 :)

Happy Day 19 everyone! Have a wonderful weekend.

Day 20/21, and 22. I wanted to quit this weekend! I think it was mostly due to me being sick and just being lazy. I stayed compliant except for the cold meds I need to take to get over this darn cold. Why do they put sweetener in medicine. It is not supposed to taste good, it is supposed to rid you body of infection or whatever virus you are carrying.  Oh well, only had to take it twice a day so the amounts are really minimal.

Did my food prep yesterday so I am armed with sweet potato soup, chicken chowder, and some turkey chili. I also have some ground turkey in the fridge and am contemplating making a meatloaf for my dinners. It really helps that I only have to cook for myself and not a spouse or kiddos. I do try to help my daughter in meal prepping but she seems to be on board and is getting along pretty good on her own.

My clothes are fitting better. Wore a pair of jeans I haven't been able to get on in a few years....size 13 (down from a 16)! They were a bit tight but not uncomfortable, so that is good. Here is to a successful week and a half and hopefully the scale will finally tell me that I am in Onederland!

Day 23. Woke up with a major headache today but I think it is due to a sinus infection and this cold that is still lingering. I feel 'thinner' today. I cheated and took a quick measurement of my waist and I am down almost 2.5 inches!  That's a lot in 3 weeks.  I am feeling a bit worn out the past couple of days, but that is probably also due to this cold.  As I get closer to my 30 days, I am more and more sure that this is a lifetime thing, not just a 30 day journey. For now, I am just looking at finishing the 30......

Day 24. Sinus headache is still present (dang it). Thought maybe my morning workout would make it go away, but it didn't so I will medicate that darn thing and hope for the best. Sudafed, Musinex, Tyenol....please help give me some relief.

Otherwise, doing pretty good. Not feeling as hungry as I normally am during the day or when I get home afterwork. Most nights I force myself to have at least a small dinner because I know I will wake up starving and might be easily tempted by a quick unhealthy fix. I am in awe of myself for going 24 days with NO slip-ups (other than the measuring, and yes, I did weigh myself...oops!).  I am one of those insecure people who use the scale as a checkpoint in fighting my weight issues (it's been a 25 year battle). I use the scale to make me accountable. If I see then numbers start to rise, I know it is time to check myself and get back on track. I know it is not the 'right' way, but it is such a huge part of my life that stopping myself has been the absolutely hardest thing to do on my Whole30 journey. Hopefully, my next round I can overcome this demon.

Day 25. I am really feeling like I have got myself into a routine with this Whole30 thing. It is a lifestyle, not just a 30-day challenge at this point (new habits formed). I love the food I am putting into my body and I am feeling pretty good overall. My workouts seem almost effortless. I've up'd my reps and weights and feel like I am pushing myself more than before Jan. 2. The next 5 days, I want to focus more on what to do after my 30 days. I don't think I will do a full reintroduction as I want to move forward with eliminating both dairy and legumes, and probably most grains, as I know those things just don't agree with my body. I have always had issue with being lactose intolerant, or sensitive to dairy and I tend to overconsume on the legumes and grains because, well they just taste so darn yummy and (used) to be considered a comfort food for me.....not any more! And, I am ok with keeping added sugar and artificial sweeteners out too. I have never really craved sweets so eliminating them is not really that big a deal.  My hardest challenge will be with limiting my alcohol consumption. As hard as it is to admit, I enjoy having drinks, the escape it gives you, and I tend to overconsume.  What I don't enjoy is how it make me feel afterward; the hangovers, the sluggishness, always being tired. This is where I will have to focus most of my energies so as to not fall back into hold habits.  But, for today, I am all in, and loving life!

Day 27....I really want a glass of wine or some sort of drink tonight. My anxiety is high and frustration with some personal issues in my life are really making me want to throw in the towel. But, I am not! I am doing everything I can to just get through the night. Other than these emotional breakdowns, I physically feel great. So am using that to keep reminding myself how important it is that I complete this journey.  I WILL DO THIS......

Day 28/29.....Holy moly, I am almost done with my first 30 days. I wanted to quit this weekend, more so than any other time during this journey BUT I didn't....I stayed compliant. I am proud of new found self-control and determination during this journey. Not sure how I will handle the reintroduction as I want to keep most of the thing I have already eliminated from by diet, out of my diet. Like I've said before dairy and added sugars have always cause me digestion issues, so I am SO OK with keeping those two out forever. I love bread, but am not really missing it so might strictly limit myself on that item, along with legumes.  None of which I feel that I need back in my diet or even desire at this point. I like to lost at least 30 more lbs before my birthday in April, so I may just go paleo and work on limited  portions and try to get that 30 off this old body.  No matter....this has been one hell of a journey that I am so so so happy I have committed to.....ONE MORE DAY!

You are doing awesome.   I'm right there with you on the approaching-50 weight gain and the difficulty of limiting alcohol consumption....I'd gotten into some really bad habits involving wine in the evening (hot tea helps but it's just not the same...)   Hoping to join you on the other side of the finish line when I hit day 30!  

Day 30!  I did it!  I have stuck to this plan for 30 days (ok, 29 1/2 as I write this).  I have not consume one single morsel of added sugars, grains, dairy, legumes, or alcohol! And, I don't miss any of it.....ok, I do miss my glass of wine but that is more of the habit of relaxing and enjoying a great glass of merlot rather than actually missing consuming the alcohol contained in the wine. I am pretty damn proud of myself. This is the first time I have committed to a plan and stuck to it AND guess what...it was easy!  Granted, I haven't done much socializing, or going out to eat or for drinks with my guy. I have had to adapt the old lifestyle to the new lifestyle. BUT, I fell AWESOME about all the changes I have made this past month. So amazing that I will be making this my norm rather than a 30-day challenge that I do over and over again. I am going to do a 'slow' reintroduction and keep track of how my body reacts to certain things but overall the eliminated things will stay that way.  Can't wait to post results tomorrow!

Day 31. Weighed in at 203 this morning with a BMI down 3% at 38.1! That's a 15 lbs lose since Jan. 1.  I was hoping for 19 lbs to bring be below 200 but 15 in 30 days is pretty darn good. And, knowing that I did this without counting calories, or macros, or anything amazing me. All I did was eat whole, delicious, foods free from added crap that we find in our foods.....truly amazing!  It proves to my silly weight obsessed thought process that I can do this. I can finally concur my weight issues....with some discipline and attention to what goes into my body.

I had a colonoscopy yesterday that required me to fast. By the time I got home from the hospital, it has almost 30 hours since I had had anything to eat and I was starving. I had a banana with almond butter because I was still too groggy to prepare anything and then fell asleep for 4 hours. When I woke I was so hungry I ate a half box of Town Home pita chips with sea salt (my fav. chip). They didn't even taste all that good and made me feel bloated and I still hungry. Went back to sleep for an hour then heated up some compliant sweet potato soup and felt much better....but the scale has me up 2.5 lbs this morning!  Damn chips!  NO MORE garbage.

To sum up my 30-day journey. I'm down 15 lbs, BMI down 3%, IBS gone, knee and other joint pain gone, sleeping regularly (something I have never done), and energy takes me through the entire day! I am more aware of what goes into by body and how things affect me physically and mentally. I have a date Friday night at one of my fav. resturants anad I plan to order something off the menu (minus any possible dairy) along with WINE!  Will post how that make me feel the next day. Although, I am secretly hoping it make me miserable so that I don't continue with those old habits.

Day.....Over 30. Was going to try a slow-roll reintroduction but seriously fell off the wagon over the weekend....damn super bowl! My dinner out last Friday went well. I ordered an Ahi Tuna roll with a spinach salad. All pretty much compliant except for the light breading they put on the roll (that I removed before eating) and the dairy based dressing on the salad (that was too light to really count). Had 2 glasses of the best wine I have had (in 30 days...hahaha). Those 2 glasses made me really tipsy which led to drinking more when I got home.  Saturday was packed full of activity with my granddaughters and I didn't eat anything but a bowl of compliant soup all day. About mid-night Sat., my guy friend and I were both starving so we made spaghetti.....ugh pasta!  Sunday was the big football game and since I was already feeling bloated and shitty, I figured I might as well indulge (f*cking old habits), and had nachos and onion rings.....and beer.....way too much beer! Feeling physically terrible Monday, I jumped back on the compliant wagon and have stayed compliant thru today (so far and plan to remain this way until I can get control of myself). I am finally feeling better today. 

I worked a 12 hr. day yesterday getting home around 9pm, but managed to meal prep the rest of the weeks meals in under 2 hours (Yay NSVs).  I love the Whole30 eating plan. The foods not only taste good, preparing 100% healthy meals is so satisfying. Knowing that the time and effort you put in to making your meal pays off when you eat it because you love the taste and know that the food you are putting into your body is going to empower you both physically and emotionally.

I am WHOLE30!

• 2 weeks later...

Feb. 20 started R2D1. I am up 4 lbs., the body aches, knee/joint pain, stuffy sinus, and wheezing are all back. And, all because I didn't follow the reintroduction, or stay Whole 30 liked I had planned. I have 45 days until my 50 birthday so I am doing a Whole 45 as a gift to myself. 

The past two weeks have been stressed filled with family matters and I have neglected myself. No so much by the foods I eat, but in general just not taking good care of ME. I had not slept more than 4 hrs at a time since the end of my R1, and after JUST ONE DAY of my Whole45 I SLEPT AMAZING. Even slept thru my alarm, missed my training session and got to work a half hour later than normal (thank goodness for a flexible schedule).

I have discovered so many NSVs since starting this Whole journey. And, one of the biggest things that keeps staring me down is that there are some things (people) in my life that I need to.....well, stop giving them so much of my ME time. Most notable is the guy I have been dating the past year or so. He is supportive but also encourages my bad behaviors. He drinks A LOT and lives his life to the fullest but also lives it with the mindset that he is going to die someday so he might as well do what he wants when he wants, never mind your health or well-being.  I have worked too hard to get to where I am these days to give all that up for a temporary fix, a fun night out, a good roll in the....well ya know! He is quite a bit younger than me, so he can afford to have that kind of thinking. I can not.

Today is R2D2 and I am already feeling tons better. Did some cooking last night and have tomato/chicken soup, chicken chowder (my fav), pulled pork, and some leftover baked chicken thighs to get me through the next week or so. My daughter is on board with me and the two of us seem more determined than ever :)  

R2D8....this round seems harder to stick to than the first 30. I want to cheat over and over again. I want a glass.....or bottle...of wine. I want to turn to food or drink to cope with my everyday stress. BUT, I haven't caved yet....still going strong! 5 more weeks to go.

R2D15....well actually R2D1 because I caved this past weekend and snacked on non-compliant chips, and other crap that just made me feel......crapy!  So today I again embark on my W30 journey to change my habits and BE Whole30 all the time.  I am doing this to lose weight mostly, but I also really like how I feel overall when I stay compliant and eat whole nutritious foods. I am constantly reminded that I am not in control just yet of what I put into my body, how I react to situations, and how darn emotional it all becomes when I see the signs of my lack of control.  I want to be in a place where I am healthy, about 40 lbs less than I currently am, and able to indulge now and again without carrying the huge amount of guilt.  So......with 39 days until my 50th birthday, these are my goals.

Archived