I love food too much

Disclaimer: I'm a horribly disorganized writer, so if this makes no sense, I apologize in advance

Hello Whole30 community,

I'm on my second week, still going strong! Before starting my Whole30, I was an avid foodie (still am) and ate for taste and content of a meal. I don't eat something unless it's healthy or very delicious (example: I never ate grocery store sweets/cake, but I'd let myself have a piece of cake from the bakery-- I love good food), and I avoid junk food. Though I'm already a pretty healthy eater, my worst tendency is frequently letting myself overeat because I think "oh this is healthy, I can have lots of it" or "When will I get another chance to eat this? I should have it while I can". I would often (as other people do) finish a meal full, only to go back and get seconds, or snack on something else.

My main problem right now is taming this habit. I bought the Whole30 guidebook/cookbook as a reference and reminder on the kitchen table, and I've made a dinner meal plan (most of which are from the cookbook. Breakfast is random and for lunch I eat whatever is at school). I think I may be putting too much on my plate literally. Lately I've been eating a lot and feel incredibly full, to the point that I think I've... gained weight (without using the scale). Past couple morning I wake up and see that the food from the food baby from the night before isn't completely gone. I went to the gym and almost threw up because three hours later, my lunch hadn't completely digested yet.

To give an example, this is the food I've logged in the past four days. I've also indicated which days I exercised.

1/8 (weekend)

B/L - Banana, clementine, beef zoodle soup

D - Almond breaded chicken breast + grapefruit-avocado salad

1/9

B - half pomelo, banana, almonds

L - potato wedges, hard boiled egg, salad

D - 2 baked salmon, salad, ~2 cups roasted cauliflower & broccoli, 1/2 cup strawberries, handful almonds

1/10

B - Banana, 1/4 cup almonds, cup of beef broth

L - Salad - (romaine, spinach, olives, mushrooms, dried cranberries, beets, chicken), veg stir-fry (carrots, broccoli, onions), hard boiled egg

S - small apple

*GYM

D - apple, 6 oz steak, broccoli lettuce wraps + 1/2 cup figs, dates

1/11

B- 1 apple, almonds

L- three servings of compliant chorizo, guacamole, roasted butternut squash, salad greens *this is where I severely overate and almost threw up later on

S- banana

*power yoga

D- coconut stew bowl (sweet potato, zucchini, spinach, coconut beef broth, lemon, onion, 1 chicken breast) + dates, whole pack of figs :(

Though I believe I've been eating compliant, healthy meals, I think this program has given me the mindset that anything I eat is good for my body no matter the quantity. Since I'm unable to eat grains, I always make it a priority to eat lots of good protein and fat but, do I really have to? Some days I come home around dinner time, not hungry, but still eat a big meal based on my dinner plan.  I'm worried that rather than breaking my old overeating habits, Whole30 is propelling them forward, just.. with healthier food.

TL;DR Overeating habit, feel very full + slight weight gain, need some tips or nutritional advice.

Just at a glance, I see TONS of fruit and nuts and and no healthier fats (nuts are not the best fat source, can disrupt your gut, and should be limited to a small handful every other day or so). As Kirkor notes, you are not following the Whole30 template. That means your meals are not composed in a way that will bring you the most benefits. Personally, I would feel TERRIBLE eating as you are. :)

Following the template gives you recommendations about portions and makes sure you are getting enough to eat from the three essential categories of protein, vegetables of fruit. Follow the template! Think of it as the yellow brick road to success.  

• Administrators
25 minutes ago, liverightnow said:

Disclaimer: I'm a horribly disorganized writer, so if this makes no sense, I apologize in advance

Hello Whole30 community,

I'm on my second week, still going strong! Before starting my Whole30, I was an avid foodie (still am) and ate for taste and content of a meal. I don't eat something unless it's healthy or very delicious (example: I never ate grocery store sweets/cake, but I'd let myself have a piece of cake from the bakery-- I love good food), and I avoid junk food. Though I'm already a pretty healthy eater, my worst tendency is frequently letting myself overeat because I think "oh this is healthy, I can have lots of it" or "When will I get another chance to eat this? I should have it while I can". I would often (as other people do) finish a meal full, only to go back and get seconds, or snack on something else.

My main problem right now is taming this habit. I bought the Whole30 guidebook/cookbook as a reference and reminder on the kitchen table, and I've made a dinner meal plan (most of which are from the cookbook. Breakfast is random and for lunch I eat whatever is at school). I think I may be putting too much on my plate literally. Lately I've been eating a lot and feel incredibly full, to the point that I think I've... gained weight (without using the scale). Past couple morning I wake up and see that the food from the food baby from the night before isn't completely gone. I went to the gym and almost threw up because three hours later, my lunch hadn't completely digested yet.

To give an example, this is the food I've logged in the past four days. I've also indicated which days I exercised.

1/8 (weekend)

B/L - Banana, clementine, beef zoodle soup

D - Almond breaded chicken breast + grapefruit-avocado salad

1/9

B - half pomelo, banana, almonds

D - 2 baked salmon, salad, ~2 cups roasted cauliflower & broccoli, 1/2 cup strawberries, handful almonds

1/10

B - Banana, 1/4 cup almonds, cup of beef broth

L - Salad - (romaine, spinach, olives, mushrooms, dried cranberries, beets, chicken), veg stir-fry (carrots, broccoli, onions), hard boiled egg

S - small apple

*GYM

D - apple, 6 oz steak, broccoli lettuce wraps + 1/2 cup figs, dates

1/11

B- 1 apple, almonds

L- three servings of compliant chorizo, guacamole, roasted butternut squash, salad greens *this is where I severely overate and almost threw up later on

S- banana

*power yoga

D- coconut stew bowl (sweet potato, zucchini, spinach, coconut beef broth, lemon, onion, 1 chicken breast) + dates, whole pack of figs :(

Some days I come home around dinner time, not hungry, but still eat a big meal based on my dinner plan. 

You are eating an enormous amount of fruit, including dried fruits which are as close to candy as you can get on Whole30. No wonder you aren't hungry for other food. Fruits are recommended to be limited to 1-2 fist sized servings per day and not alone or as snacks, always with a full meal that contains protein, lots of veggies and some fat.

Every meal should have 1-2 palms of protein (broth does not count) alongside 1-3 cups of cooked veggies (or a truly enormous amount of salad greens) and 1-2 fat servings. Once all of this is eaten, THEN you would have a piece of fruit...........if you were still hungry.

Snacking shouldn't be necessary with this type of meal composition and timing but if it is and you have to eat something, have protein + fat or protein + veggies. Just adding a piece of fruit isn't doing anything for you, overall.

Also, if you severly overate the chorizo meal, why did you also then eat a banana as a snack later if you had so much left in your stomach that you nearly puked at the gym afterward? Are you using fruit to assuage sugar cravings? 

• Administrators
31 minutes ago, liverightnow said:

B/L -  beef zoodle soup
D -  chicken breast + avocado salad

B -  
D - 2 baked salmon, salad, ~2 cups roasted cauliflower & broccoli, 

B - cup of beef broth
L - Salad - (romaine, spinach, olives, mushrooms, beets, chicken), veg stir-fry (carrots, broccoli, onions), hard boiled egg
S - 
*GYM
D - , 6 oz steak, broccoli lettuce wraps

B- 
L- three servings of compliant chorizo, guacamole, roasted butternut squash, salad greens
S-
*power yoga
D- coconut stew bowl (sweet potato, zucchini, spinach, coconut beef broth, lemon, onion, 1 chicken breast)  :(

Just out of curiosity and for ease of review, I removed all the fruit and all the nuts from your outline. Without those filler foods, you really aren't eating enough of anything, I'm not surprised that you're feeling poorly. :( 

Part of the need to always be searching for food habit that you are trying to break is not actually having adequate nutrition for your body. Lack of adequate nutrition means that physiologically you will continue to seek food. Fruits and nuts are sub-optimal nutrition when used like you have been. 

All the fruit and nuts are probably causing bloating and as far as weight gain, that is a tonne of sugar and fat you've been eating, especially considering the amount of dried fruits. :( 

Archived