I'm SO dissatisfied with food

RachelleGold

The first week, I was content with the foods on the program, and wasn't missing any of my "normal" foods at all? Now that I'm well into week two, I'm totally dissatisfied with food, missing flavor, sauces and spices, and want to eat CARBS! Anyone else out there experiencing the same thing?

I could have written this post myself.

I did notice that even though I'm not "WOW-ed" by some of my meals, they are keeping me satiated and able to avoid temptation. I plan to keep it up but it's not easy.

I'm also meal planning for next week already so I have something to look forward to - maybe try that? I want to make crockpot butter chicken (full of spices and flavor) and maybe some pulled pork in the crockpot as well.

I'll definitely have to try those @sunnytropic! I'm loving the energy that I have, and I'm finally getting restorative, restful sleep, which hasn't happened in years, so I do love the benefits, and plan to stick with the program. But quite frankly, I'm just "food-bored." Is that even a thing? Anyway, thanks for the suggestions, I really appreciate it!

I am currently on R1D10 and (LUCKILY) have not hit the food boredom/sick of my meals phase.  I made a huge effort to make every meal different.  I don't necessarily recommend it unless you can free up an ENTIRE Sunday to meal prep and still cook various items after work throughout the week.  I focused on doing this since both my boyfriend and I are doing this together although he's mostly doing it for moral support!

I wanted to tell you about one amazing soup I made that was a game changer - it's filling, creamy and just...amazing.  If you don't like broccoli, you can always use mushrooms, leek, asparagus, etc. In addition, it requires very little work.  Chop up a few things and just throw them in one pot!  I store my leftovers in mason jars. 

https://stupideasypaleo.com/2016/01/06/comforting-creamy-broccoli-soup-recipe/

Are you using any of the recipes from the book?  My family and I are all finding them really delicious, and there's a good variety.  This is not the time to put away your spices!  I also am using fresh herbs a lot.  Playing with new recipes will surely help you get out of this rut, I promise!

For me, this 30 days is so much more than just about the foods I am eating. I am learning how I actually react to food/drink, and how I let negative thoughts control me. Every time one of those stinky little thoughts of what I am missing creeps into my head, I push that little bugger away with a positive thought about what I am learning. Like, Monday at 5am when my car got stuck in the snow (again) and I had to walk a mile back to my house and arrange for someone to come pull me out of the snow, I wanted to reach for a bagel with cream cheese and creamer in my coffee (or anything off plan); but, instead I warmed up my fritatta I had made the night before, poured my cup of black coffee, and sat down and ate my breakfast while I was on hold with my insurance company for a tow. And, as I was walking that mile back to my car to meet the tow (only to have it cancelled due to other emergencies on the roads and having to walk back home), I reminded myself that if I had indulged in the bagel/cream cheese and/or creamer (or some other no so good for you food), I would not have had the stamina or energy to walk a total of 3 miles in 14 inches of snow so early in the morning.  Try to re-train your thoughts in now what your are giving up, but what you are gaining......eventually, the body will thank you for it.  

I love that perspective @Cathie C. Yesterday was super rough. But today I woke up grateful for the natural energy I have in the mornings, the stamina to do my job better, the focus to think deeper and harder at work, and the fact that yet again, I slept like a log. I've been an insomniac which chronic nerve pain for 17 years and having deep restorative sleep for 3-nights in a row, is truly life changing. Thank you for the reminder, I really appreciate the positivity! xo

OMG I have been sleeping 'like a log' too!  It is almost creepy how deep I have been sleeping. I normally am a very light sleeper with not going more that an hour at a time before waking up and the past several nights I have slept a good 5 plus hours before waking........and my bladder hasn't woke me up once!  Hallelujah!!!

Welcome aboard and congrats for making it to Week 2, Rachelle!  That in itself is impressive.

Prepping on the weekend was super helpful....cutting veggies, making sure I had go-to meals/food for the times in the week when life would get crazy, planning breakfast so I'd start the day right, etc.

One of the other keys for me was finding things in the Whole30 book that sounded great and just making them.  (I must preface this with I'll eat almost anything, especially for breakfast....I went through a hamburger/homemade spaghetti sauce phase and sometimes had it twice a day.)  Here are a few:

http://barefootprovisions.com/blogs/bare-blog/squash-apple-and-sausage-hash  http://whole30.com/2014/10/best-whole30-recipes-no-forks/  http://www.apronstringsblog.com/coconut-curry-chicken-whole30-low-carb-dairy-free/  (also found on page 130 of the W30 book), chicken fajitas with sautéed peppers and onions (just check seasoning ingredients for compliance), http://agirlworthsaving.net/2014/03/spicy-tilapia-baja-tacos-lime-slaw-avocado-cilantro-sauce.html (I didn't even miss the tortillas!), Zatarain's Creole mustard is also pretty dang good AND compliant.

You could also think about the stuff you really like to eat and then google a Whole30 recipe that's close to it.

Keep up the great job and know that we're all cheering for you!  :)

J

Archived