Day 11 - Feeling down

DrewB

I'm on day 11 and things have been going pretty well. Tonight I'm feeling down...it may be pms. My husband is out of town so I just made my daughter mac n cheese and I just baked a cod fillet. It was not great. Now I want to sit on the couch and have fruit and whipped coconut milk with cinnamon. It is compliant but I'm feeling guilty about eating it because I know it's a dessert type comfort food. I shouldn't eat it right? Just tell me not to eat it, lol.

Don't eat it!!!!! Or eat some fat and leftover protein first :) I'm not a moderator but I'm feeling day 10 blues, so I totally get that. I think they would say, don't eat to make yourself feel better - even though we want to! Maybe try some hot herbal tea or some  decaf coffee with coconut milk and cinnamon to wind down instead? A moderator will correct me if this isn't a good behavior substitute. I can usually kick wanting to snack on something sweet with a hot drink. You've got this- keep going!!! 

• Moderators

Ya, don't eat it... you know that you're eating it for comfort, so that means that you can dig down and find a different way to comfort yourself.  This is one of the huge principles of the Whole30 is to understand WHY you're putting the food in your mouth that you are...

How about a bubble bath? Boardgame with your daughter? Cartoon on Netflix? Paint your/your daughters nails? Sweep the floor? Tea or decaf? Fizzy water?  Shower, slippers, book, bed?  These are all ways you can comfort yourself (and distract from wanting to eat)... what are some other ideas you can do? :)

• Administrators
1 minute ago, mdjess86 said:

Day 13 and I still feel like this...actually spent most of yesterday crying. So this will stop lol?

Hi @mdjess86 - sorry you aren't feeling well. I just looked back at some of your posts and note that in addition to feeling crappy, sad etc, you are also rapidly losing a lot of weight that you state you don't really have to lose.

So my question is: are you eating enough food? What are your meals composed of? Are you getting adequate fat? Including starchy veggies? 

Ladyshanny how do you know if you are eating enough? Just curious. 

I am tracking calories but more because it's easier to enter my food into my fitness pal than a paper journal. My calories are typically running between 1000 and 1300 a day. I know 1000 seems low but I have eaten. Today here is what I've had. Breakfast - two scrambled eggs with compliant salsa and coffee with coconut oil and an orange. Lunch - salad with tuna in olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Dinner - ground chicken burger, pineapple, baked sweet potato "fries" and a kombucha.

I felt better today (and last night must have been one because I started today. Sorry, tmi). The bengal spice tea is perfect when I want something sweet!

6 hours ago, DrewB said:

I am tracking calories but more because it's easier to enter my food into my fitness pal than a paper journal. My calories are typically running between 1000 and 1300 a day. I know 1000 seems low but I have eaten. Today here is what I've had. Breakfast - two scrambled eggs with compliant salsa and coffee with coconut oil and an orange. Lunch - salad with tuna in olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Dinner - ground chicken burger, pineapple, baked sweet potato "fries" and a kombucha.

I felt better today (and last night must have been one because I started today. Sorry, tmi). The bengal spice tea is perfect when I want something sweet!

It's hard to tell if your lunch & dinner were big enough but based on your breakfast I'd say you're not eating enough food.

When eggs are your only source of protein in a meal a serving would be the number of whole eggs you can hold in one hand - 3-4 for most females. Then unless you had a HUGE amount of salsa you're seriously lacking vegetables. The recommendation is for 1-3 cups, with 3 being optimum. What we really mean here is 'FILL YOUR PLATE'.

How much tuna did you have? How big was the salad? (considering salad veg generallyreduce down to not very much when chewed...).

DInner looks better.

Tracking calories really isn't recommended, and I've no idea of your age or gender, but since you brought it up 1000 kcals is not enough for a 25yr old female to even 'be' let alone live a little....

Lunch is about 2 or 3 cups of salad I would guess, I don't measure it I just fill up a Tupperware. The tuna is a can in evoo. 

Im not 25, lol. I am 37 and female. 1000 is a low day for sure, I think 1200-1300 is average for me.

• Administrators
23 hours ago, DrewB said:

You'll k own you're eating enough when you can easily go 4-5 hours between meals. When you aren't prowling the kitchen after dinner. When you are hungry on waking. When you are sleeping well. When you have good poops. Any or all of these! 

I did a lot better the first week than the second week with the meal template. This last week I've been on q2 call at work, which means I work from 5am monday - 8am Tuesday, then off until 5am Wednesday then repeat, and I did that monday, wednesday, friday and sunday. I didn't get to sleep hardly at all on call, and then my post call day all I could seem to do was sleep. I know from past experience q2 call gets me down and makes me really emotionally labile. I defnitely had too much fruit this week and not enough veggies. Then today I forgot to bring anything with me and all I can eat is salad, there's no compliant protein in the hospital. Sunday's are usually a little slower, so hopefully I'll get a couple hours sleep, but still. 

I think my weight loss stopped, I think I must have lost a lot of water weight all at once, and I must have been dehydrated that day I got nervous, because while I'm still thin I don't at all think I'm too thin right now. As for my meals, this is what it looks like on a good day:

Meal 1: 1/4 frittata- 2 eggs, 1/4 compliant sausage, pepers, onion, maybe another veggie

Meal 2: protein, like meatballs, chicken breast, ground beef, over a large salad topped with olive oil and salt

Meal 3: protein like above, plus brussel sprouts or kale, maybe a sweet potato or maybe a different veggie

The first week I ate only like this, was always full for 4-5 hours, but had a hard time eating it all. This week, on my post call days I've had a hard time eating real meals other than meal 1, and have been eating apples with almond butter, random meat servings, random nuts. Not good. Friday I even had a larabar just to try to give me a push to stay up and make it through the last few hours before I could finally drive home. I exercised last week, but only the beginning of the week and barely. Pretty sad, but I know that this schedule just requires some flexibility on my part. I'm so exhausted at this point. But I definitely think my weight loss has stopped and that part is fine. 

Today I had 3 hard boiled eggs with an orange for meal 1 at 7am. But then I couldn't eat until 4, and all they have here is a salad bar, so I had no protein. I'll have to do the same for dinner. I usually have epic bars and full meals from home, but I forgot everything like a dummy. Thank goodness this is my last call day for a while. I need normal 13 hours days again! 

Archived