Day 11 Leg swelling- new onset

lcrocker

Hey! Wondering if anyone else experienced new onset lower extremity edema when they started Whole 30? I am finishing up day 11. I am 24, 5'10", 115ish lbs and on no medications, so I have no medical reason for this to happen (no hypertension, no metabolic issues). I did have it one other time in the Dominican Republic because I was sweating bullets and not getting enough sodium to replenish what I was losing and it promptly went away when I came back to the US (this was 2.5 yrs ago). I haven't had any issues since then with this. I have been eating 3 meals a day and have tried to eat more than the recommended protein amount because of my size (don't want to lose any weight). If anyone had something similar please let me know what you did and what the cause was. I just noticed it today and am a little concerned my electrolytes could be off (but my sodium could be too high or too low). Otherwise I'm feeling good, still tired in the afternoons and feel like I need a nap but that's because of the hours I have for my 3rd year of med school. No headaches anymore and generally happier! 

Swelling of any limb is not a side effect of Whole30 that I've ever heard of, in fact it's an anti-inflammatory way of eating, and most people find that one of the side effects is that any swelling subsides.

Are you drinking the recommended half an ounce of water per pound of body weight, daily? Are you salting your food, given that switching to a whole food diet can reduce sodium intake by up to 75%? How about your potassium & calcium intake?

If you are overly concerned or it is causing any pain I would definitely seek medical advice as no one here is medically trained.

And if you would like to check that you are on the right track please feel free to post a few days worth of your food intake, indicating portion size, veg types, exercise, liquid intake, sleep etc...

I am salting all of my food. I believe I'm drinking enough water (same amount I drank before Whole 30, I was already an exclusive water drinker). I assumed I was getting enough potassium and calcium from the food I'm eating, not taking any supplements. No pain with it either, but may try to have metabolic panel to check my electrolytes done just to be sure if the swelling continues. Mostly concerned me because I was barely on my feet any yesterday so seemed odd for me to have swelling, which is not normal for me anyways.

My meals the past few days:

Tuesday- Meal 1: sweet potato home fries with 2 small hamburger patties and almonds. 1 bag of black tea. Meal 2: Pot roast with carrots and potatoes. Meal 3: Lemon pepper salmon and roasted brocolli steaks and 5 strawberries.

Wednesday- Meal 1: 2 scrambled eggs and 2 pieces of bacon and handful of almonds. Meal 2: Sweet potato chili (recipe from the cookbook) with a mandarin orange. Meal 3: filet mignon (8-9oz) with garlic shallot puree and salt and vinegar crispy smashed potatoes with 6-7 strawberries. 

Thursday- Meal 1: 2 scrambled eggs and 3 pieces of bacon and handful of almonds and a mandarin orange. Meal 2: hamburger patty with crispy onions and baked french fries and a mandarin orange. Drank 1 cup of hot apple cider (compliant) Meal 3: chicken lettuce wraps (onions, garlic and coconut aminos) with cauliflower rice.

Today- Meal 1: 3 scrambled eggs and almonds. 1 bag of black tea.

Are the almonds a new thing?

Nuts are high omega 6 fatty acids which can be highly inflammatory (even though they also contain good levels of omega 3s which are anti-inflammatory but the one sadly outweighs the other), and we'd recommend a closed handful every other day, max.

I'd start by cutting those out & see how you go.

No the almonds aren't a new thing. When I've tried to leave them out, I get really hungry around 10AM because I have to eat Meal 1 around 515 but I don't get off for lunch until 12 so I need something to tide me over. And both legs, no redness or warmth. Not concerned about a DVT. No history of kidney problems and my kidneys are working well. I don't look like I'm retaining fluid either. I'm figuring the most likely reason is either my sodium is out of whack or my albumin (protein) levels are low.

Have you tried replacing the almonds with a different fat source such as olives or avocado? They can be pretty hard on the gut too apart from the potential for causing inflammation. Other than that your meals look okay to me.

Definitely keep an eye on the swelling and get yourself to a Dr if it doesn't ease.

Let us know how you go.

Archived