Headaches

lhowe

I am on day 29 and the headaches have been there (and really there) since day 5. I tried to troubleshoot with all I found on the forum, eating more, drinking (even) more water, although I don't think I can do more but I reached a gallon a day, adding more salt, eating more carbs, etc. But nothing worked. I lived through the Whole 30 with constant headaches and can't wait to find out which reintroduction will bring me back to normal! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Catherine, did you figure out what caused your head ache? 

I'm on day 14 and have had a dull throbbing head ache for over a week. I have never had head aches before other than routine hangovers. Am drinking plenty of water and salt everything. I'm Irish, but never ate potatoes until now so I wonder if they are the culprit or if my body is missing something.

• Administrators
On 12/8/2018 at 11:50 AM, msimp227 said:

Hi Catherine, did you figure out what caused your head ache? 

I'm on day 14 and have had a dull throbbing head ache for over a week. I have never had head aches before other than routine hangovers. Am drinking plenty of water and salt everything. I'm Irish, but never ate potatoes until now so I wonder if they are the culprit or if my body is missing something.

I had that dull throbbing headache on and off for a little more than the first couple weeks. Generally it's a hormone adjustment side effect - take a headache pill if you need to, you don't have to suffer. Of course I'm not a doctor so if you're concerned, seek out medical advice. :)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I would post since I found a lot of questions to the question regarding headaches.  I am on Day 4 and have had the same headache problem.  My head aches start in the early afternoon also (like many other posters).  They start with Migraine like symptoms (tunnel vision) and then result in Pain.  Without going into everything I have eaten, I have found relief in Salt!

I eat a bag of Salted Cashews or Almonds when the tunnel vision hits and I generally have a mild headache, but within 30-45 minutes the headache is gone.  I hope this helps for you all.

• Administrators
47 minutes ago, medh said:

Is there anything I can take for a headache other than Tylenol? My headaches laugh at Tylenol.  I've always taken BC,  It's been the only thing that would touch them. 

I don't know what "BC" is - but you can take whatever normal headache medicine you normally take. We don't want you to suffer.

• Like 1

I'm also having headaches (day 8), but I think after reading this I understand part of the problem. I've been bringing more fruits than vegetables to work for my mid-morning meal (I have breakfast super early so I need something before lunch) and lunch. I also picked up some Rx bars for emergencies like extreme low blood sugar after climbing, but have used them as snacks to get me through until dinner. Today I brought more veggies and haven't eaten a bar so my blood sugar is probably way low after yesterday's spike. 

For my meals I've been having: Eggs and a vegetable or fruit (tomatoes, sweet potato, avocado, banana, or apple) for breakfast; fruit (grapes or strawberries, apricot) and nuts (almonds or cashews) mid-morning; a big spinach and romaine salad with carrots, cucumbers or snow peas, and strawberries with homemade lemon-vinegar dressing for lunch; occasional Rx bar; a protein (fish or chicken), vegetable (green beans, brussels sprouts, kale), and starch (sweet potato or yellow potato) for dinner; occasionally a few pieces of mango if I eat dinner early.

Clearly I've been eating way too much fruit! Is there anything I'm missing that I may be substituting with fruit?

46 minutes ago, megbeveridge said:

I'm also having headaches (day 8), but I think after reading this I understand part of the problem. I've been bringing more fruits than vegetables to work for my mid-morning meal (I have breakfast super early so I need something before lunch) and lunch. I also picked up some Rx bars for emergencies like extreme low blood sugar after climbing, but have used them as snacks to get me through until dinner. Today I brought more veggies and haven't eaten a bar so my blood sugar is probably way low after yesterday's spike. 

For my meals I've been having: Eggs and a vegetable or fruit (tomatoes, sweet potato, avocado, banana, or apple) for breakfast; fruit (grapes or strawberries, apricot) and nuts (almonds or cashews) mid-morning; a big spinach and romaine salad with carrots, cucumbers or snow peas, and strawberries with homemade lemon-vinegar dressing for lunch; occasional Rx bar; a protein (fish or chicken), vegetable (green beans, brussels sprouts, kale), and starch (sweet potato or yellow potato) for dinner; occasionally a few pieces of mango if I eat dinner early.

Clearly I've been eating way too much fruit! Is there anything I'm missing that I may be substituting with fruit?

You don't seem to have a lot of fat in those meals. Just cut out some of the fruit and add more veggies. Also, check and make sure you're drinking enough water (roughly 1/2 oz per lb bodyweight). 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, medh said:

Is there anything I can take for a headache other than Tylenol? My headaches laugh at Tylenol.  I've always taken BC,  It's been the only thing that would touch them. 

18 hours ago, ladyshanny said:

I don't know what "BC" is - but you can take whatever normal headache medicine you normally take. We don't want you to suffer.

BC is mostly asprin and caffine in powder form.  It's a nsaid.  

• 6 months later...

I’m on day 15 and pretty fed up with waking up every morning with a headache and fogginess  in addition to making several bathroom trips in the night, which is not normal for me.  I’m guessing I’m dehydrated as the lack of salt is allowing liquids to flow right through.  I try to remember to add salt and I’m eating lots of great meals, but I don’t feel so great so I’m in a perpetual bad mood.  Maybe this isn’t for me, although I like that my clothes fit better.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, CPinPHX said:

I’m on day 15 and pretty fed up with waking up every morning with a headache and fogginess  in addition to making several bathroom trips in the night, which is not normal for me.  I’m guessing I’m dehydrated as the lack of salt is allowing liquids to flow right through.  I try to remember to add salt and I’m eating lots of great meals, but I don’t feel so great so I’m in a perpetual bad mood.  Maybe this isn’t for me, although I like that my clothes fit better.

Definitely salt your food. That will help a lot.

What do your meals look like? People are often surprised by how much they can and even need to eat on whole30. Try to make each meal meet the meal template -- a palm-sized portion or two of protein, or if eggs are your only protein, as many whole eggs as you can hold in one hand; a portion or two of fat from what's listed on the template, typically in addition to any oil you cook in; and a bunch of vegetables, like 2-3 cups or more. Occasionally have fruit if you want it. At least once a day, have a fist-sized serving of starchy vegetable, like potato, sweet potato, carrot, parsnip, beet, rutabaga, winter squash (like butternut or acorn or kabocha squash) or plantains. Some people do okay with less than this, some need more than this, but a serving a day is a good place to start for most people. 

You can download the meal template here: https://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/

Breakfast-coconut milk chia seed pudding with fruit and a hard boiled egg

lunch- turkey burger, 1/2 avocado, coconut milk cauliflower, a few beets, fried zucchini

dinner- salmon kebabs with vegetable kabobs, celery with almond butter

seems like plenty to me

• Moderators

You should work on making your breakfast meet the meal template as well. You're very heavy on fruit and fat and need at least one more egg, probably two, to meet the recommendation for protein, and of course, some vegetables. Also note that chia pudding is not permitted on the program.

If you're staying satisfied 4-5 hours between meals, then you're probably eating enough. If not, then you may need more. 

If you've been eating enough, and drinking plenty of water, but you haven't been salting your food regularly, that's probably the main thing causing your headaches. Obviously if you're concerned, or if you up your salt intake and they continue, then you'd want to talk to your doctor to be sure there's not any other cause for them.

• 10 months later...

Hi guys, I’m on day 13 and am really enjoying my whole 30 experience - not bothered about foods I’m missing out on even chocolate which is huge for me! My biggest problem is the constant headaches. It started off intermittent and now I find myself waking up with them. What’s interesting is that I find they disappear for a few hours after I eat. I’m trying space my meals out around 4 hours but I’m thinking if I had smaller, more regular meals then it might help reduce the headaches. I know that’s not really how you’re supposed to do whole 30 though. Anyone had any similar issues? I drink about 3-4 litres of water a day plus herbal teas so I know it’s not a dehydration thing. I also salt my food too. If anyone has any advice, I’d really appreciate it! 

• 6 months later...
On 6/13/2020 at 6:31 AM, Ltw30 said:

Hi guys, I’m on day 13 and am really enjoying my whole 30 experience - not bothered about foods I’m missing out on even chocolate which is huge for me! My biggest problem is the constant headaches. It started off intermittent and now I find myself waking up with them. What’s interesting is that I find they disappear for a few hours after I eat. I’m trying space my meals out around 4 hours but I’m thinking if I had smaller, more regular meals then it might help reduce the headaches. I know that’s not really how you’re supposed to do whole 30 though. Anyone had any similar issues? I drink about 3-4 litres of water a day plus herbal teas so I know it’s not a dehydration thing. I also salt my food too. If anyone has any advice, I’d really appreciate it! 

Day four and this is my third round of W30, but headaches are totally new to me on this! I know I had let myself eat and drink whatever I wanted for far too long before this round, but wow. It's like daily. The only relief is when I go to bed and then it comes back next-day. Getting plenty of water, salt, fat and eating the same meals and at same intervals as in the past. REALLY hope they go away soon. It's maddening.

• 2 weeks later...

I was having the same dull headaches everyone is posting about starting on Day 12-15.  I’ve been working out the same as before Whole 30.  Just drank some compliant pickle juice to see if salt was the issue and the headache went away almost immediately. You could also do a salt tablet. 

7 hours ago, APRE said:

I was having the same dull headaches everyone is posting about starting on Day 12-15.  I’ve been working out the same as before Whole 30.  Just drank some compliant pickle juice to see if salt was the issue and the headache went away almost immediately. You could also do a salt tablet. 

Twice this. Got these headaches on day 13, thought it might be migraine but pickle juice was a pure miracle. If you don't have pickle juice or a tablet, slightly salted water might help as well. 

Never underestimate a hyponatremia (when you don't get enough sodium). Drinking water is important, but if you have changed your habits significantly it might destroy your water-salt balance (that's what happened to me - resulted in headaches). 

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Moderators
On 3/14/2022 at 8:35 AM, NCrain said:

I don't understand the add salt idea. I thought salt depletes our water supply which contributes to headaches/dehydration.

Your brain actually needs sodium to function. it's why there's sodium in gatorades and other sports drinks that are used to prevent dehydration.  When you're eating a whole food diet like Whole30, you are generally cutting out most packaged and processed foods which contain high levels of sodium, which is why for people eating a standard American diet, they're encouraged to not use added salt or to select low sodium options.  In the case of Whole30, we end up having to salt our food to get enough sodium because of our lack of eating these processed foods.

On 3/15/2022 at 2:35 AM, NCrain said:

I don't understand the add salt idea. I thought salt depletes our water supply which contributes to headaches/dehydration.

Salt can make you thirsty, and too much of it can be toxic, but dehydration is actually treated with salt - your body dehydrates, sweats out the salt, and that's what causes the worst of the sickness. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

R1 D18 (two non-completed rounds before this ended around day 20)

Is there a compliant replacement to Tylenol? I know some of  hollistic remedies like peperment oil, ice on my neck, pressure on my occipital bones or eyebrows and drinking more water. I also don't reach for a "sweet" snack such as RX bar or fruit with nutbutter. I do eat fruit with nuts/nutbutter as an occasional snack to hold me between meals when I'm busy at work. I usually eat a full meal if it's time or mini meal if it's not. I will start to incease my meals and add more salt. I'm having one black coffee a few times a week (which was my normal consumption before whole30 with the addition of Coffee Mate french vanilla creamer most times). If the headache is in the morning, I do reach for the black coffee.

But any suggestions on compliant OTC medication? I find if I don't "nip it in the bud", my headaches become unbearable and I can not work or meal prep but I do realize Tylenol technically has non-compliant ingredients. 

On another note, I'm thinking of either extending or planning another round and following the FODMAP protocol for digestive reasons. Could headaches be related to this? Is it too soon in my first round to make this call?