Can't do Post-workout meal AND dinner

Urnesha

I'm in a pretty intense outdoor exercise class that does cardio and weight training and meets Monday-Thursday 6:30 pm-7:30 pm. I get home from work around 5:20 pm and I'm usually very hungry as I haven't eaten since noon but I can't eat a complete meal cause I have to workout an hour later and that would be very uncomfortable. So I've been having a mini-meal usually made up of 2 eggs with veggies (onions, mushrooms) and a small piece of sweet potato or plantain or I just serve out my entire Whole30 dinner and eat half before working out and half after. I leave at 6 pm for class and usually return by 8 pm. There's no way for me to have a post-workout meal followed by dinner at that hour. Esp as I go to bed by 10 pm. I usually just have the remaining half of dinner or i have more eggs with a bit of carb (usually plantains or sweet potatoes) with slices of cucumber and tomatoes with a fair bit of salt and black pepper (after working out is the only time I crave salt). I know none of these are ideal but I can't figure out how to eat pre-workout and post-workout meals AND dinner. Seems like a lot of food right before bed. 

What day are you on, and how has your performance been during these exercise classes?  The theory behind the pre- and post-workout meal recommendations is to ensure that you have enough fuel on board to account for the extra activity. You can also make all your meals toward the larger end of the template and see how that works out for you. The official recommendations of the pre- meal containing a bit of protein & fat (not the sweet potato or plantain that you currently have) and the post- meal containing protein & carbs are based on squeezing out every last bit of optimization from the workout.  You can achieve good things without following this exactly, just make sure your intake is adequate overall. (and sleep, hydration, electrolytes, etc. :))

7 minutes ago, kirkor said:

What day are you on, and how has your performance been during these exercise classes?  The theory behind the pre- and post-workout meal recommendations is to ensure that you have enough fuel on board to account for the extra activity. You can also make all your meals toward the larger end of the template and see how that works out for you. The official recommendations of the pre- meal containing a bit of protein & fat (not the sweet potato or plantain that you currently have) and the post- meal containing protein & carbs are based on squeezing out every last bit of optimization from the workout.  You can achieve good things without following this exactly, just make sure your intake is adequate overall. (and sleep, hydration, electrolytes, etc. :))

Okay cool. I will work on using more fat for my pre-workout meal. I've noticed that I have more energy than usual for my workouts lately so I think I'm getting enough fuel. :D I will work on a better pre-workout meal (less carbs, more fat) and just have dinner after. Thanks!

Archived