AnnaO

For all us mayonnaise lovers with egg-intollerance/allergy:

1 tbsp dijon mustard

2 tbsp tahini

2 tbsp apple cider vinegar

3 tbsp coconut cream

1/3 tsp sea salt

1/2 olive oil (cold pressed of cause!)

Blend the the mustard, tahini, vinegar, coconut cream and sea salt with a stick mixer or in a food processor. If you´re using a food processor drizzle the oil slowly with the processor on until all oil is absorbed. If you´re using a stick mixer pour all the oil in while the blender is still in the bowl. Start the mixer and with slow movments up and down blend the oil with the other ingredients. Taste and adjust

seasoning and acidity as needed.

Wow - that's cool! I thought based on the title of this post you were going to ask if there was a way to make egg-free mayo, and I was going to have to answer, "I have no idea."

Do you use EVOO, or light olive oil? I'm wondering if the EVOO would be too strong in flavor - we use light for our normal egg-based mayo. And does it TASTE like mayo, or is it just a sub for something creamy?

Thanks for sharing!

Melissa

Well, it does taste different and it´s not as mild as my usual homemade egg-based mayo, but then that was made with vegetable oil so you can´t really compare anyway. I use EVOO and as long as the acidity is balanced it´s a pretty good match I think. Maybe because all the ingredients has a strong flavour the oil doesn´t dominate.

When I first realised I couldn´t have eggs (last autumn) and I couldn´t have my usual egg-based mayo I searched for a long time until I found a decent recipe. A bit of tweaking and then I was happy with the result!

This is great. I've noticed a slight upset stomach after I eat homemade mayo and I'm wondering if the raw egg bothers me. I"m going to try this.

Question: Dijon mustard typically has white wine in the ingredients. Is this okay since it is an incredibly small quantity? Or do I need to find a dijon mustard without wine?

Jillian, I've got a dijon at home made with nothing but mustard seed, vinegar, water and sea salt. I think if you hunt you can find it. Narrow your focus to organic brands of dijon, as organic wine is hard to come by, and they're more likely to sub vinegar. (But the answer is yes, you'll have to find one without white wine for your Whole30. It's not that the tiny amount will mess up your program, but we have to keep the rules consistent across the board.)

Anna O, I may try this at home with my light olive oil to see how the flavor compares. Keep you posted - and thanks again for sharing.

Melissa

• 2 weeks later...

I´ve now made a batch with light olive oil and it´s much milder, as assumed. So much so that the next time I´ll hold half the vinegar at first, because the oil is mild you don´t need as much acidity for balancing flavours.

Tami, it´s like coconut milk but thicker and richer. I only use it because its the only one here with no additives, just coconut and water, but I think you could just use normal coconut milk.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Archived