Quorn

Thatgirl

You'd need a mod to tell you for sure but i have to say that, although i used to be vegan, I gave up eating quorn several years ago because, personally, I feel it's just such an artificial product. I know they claim it's made from a mushroom like fungus but it's actually made from a mould. They say that to say it's mushroom like is the equivalent of saying humans are jellyfish like :)

From wikipedia (I know they're not always 100% reliable but this does tie in with everything I've read over the years)

"Quorn is made from the soil mould Fusarium venenatum strain PTA-2684 (previously misidentified as the parasitic mould Fusarium graminearum [23]). The fungus is grown in continually oxygenated water in large, otherwise sterile fermentation tanks. Glucose is added as a food for the fungus, as are vitamins and minerals to improve the food value of the product. The resulting mycoprotein is then extracted and heat-treated to remove excess levels of RNA.

The product is dried and mixed with egg albumen, which acts as a binder. It is then textured, giving it some of the grained character of meat, and pressed either into a mince resembling ground beef; forms resembling chicken breasts, meatballs, and turkey roasts; or chunks resembling diced chicken breast."

I'd just rather be eating food that's actually 'food' rather that something a chemist came up with in a lab.

For the breaded patties from the Quorn website (non-compliant ingredients are highlighted):

Mycoprotein (47%), Wheat Flour, Water, Canola Oil, Wheat Starch, Potato Dextrin, Wheat Gluten. Contains 2% or less of Salt, Dextrose, Turbinado Sugar, Spice, Eggs, Rehydrated Egg White, Yeast, Natural Flavors From Non-Meat Sources.

Yeah, this is franken-food and definitely not compliant. All of the products I checked out have gluten, potatoes and sugar in them. Bake yourself some nice chicken breasts instead! Sorry!

Is there any reason why you want to eat quorn, are you vegetarian? I used to think of it as a "health food" since it's advertised as being low fat, blah blah. When I found out what it actually is I ditched it straight away for the real meat!

I checked out their site, and I didn't see one product that didn't contain wheat or milk. I would agree that, if meat is not an option for you, you should check out our vegetarian shopping list. The products listed are not all compliant with the standard Whole30 guidelines, and we don't consider them to be "best options", but we do acknowledge that we all have to pursue our health on terms that are acceptable to us.

• 2 months later...

Hey,

I know I'm a bit late for this thread, but as I am a newbie and am preparing in all the ways I can for the January whole30 I stumbled across this post as I had the same question about quorn.

I live in Sweden and didn't have any memory of my quorn products (the filets and bits mostly) having any wheat (or derivatives) in the ingredients list when I've bought them before. I looked again at their website. I.e, the SWEDISH website (www.quorn.se) and boy was I surprised when I compared with the US one! I've known for a while that Sweden's a lot better at regulating food stuffs, keeping too much processed crap out of things etc. I assume it also has to do with the market here, with vegetarians being conscious about both environment and health, setting high demands on short ingredient lists that accounts for the difference... but that the US version of the exact same product (same photo etc) has over 10 more ingredients than the Swedish one is astounding. The Swedish one does not have any wheat in any form, just the mycoprotein and rehydrated egg white and spices... Bizarre. And yes, I do trust the labeling here, so I think they must actively process it differently from the one they ship to the US.

That said, I still understand the point about avoiding processed foods in general during the whole30 and that it would freak some people out to eat something made in a lab. Just wanted to highlight the absurdity of the difference in ingredients between the two countries' version of the same product.

/Penny

Penny -

I'm afraid that much of the food stuffs created in and for the U.S. are absurd. We, as a nation, have become acclimatized to scientifically engineered food and many prefer that to food they can still recognize in its original form. It's disheartening sometimes, but thankfully many real food movements are beginning to change the paradigm over here.

Archived