FEBRUARY 1, 2017 Start Date? JOIN THIS THREAD!!

samnkelli

So happy to hear so many of you having a good day! I was really crashing yesterday afternoon, but I've had good energy all day today and feel very focused! Today, Saturday, was my first challenging food setting. I was supposed to get together with some friends and go out to lunch (choosing carefully or amending the menu was something I was preparing for). Plans changed and my friend decided that we were going to do lunch at her house instead and she was going to order a bunch of tacos for everyone. Sigh. What to do? I hadn't told any of these friends yet about the Whole30 and didn't want my first mention of it to be negative so I told her I was going to bring a side dish. Then I had to do some quick thinking, what can I make fast that goes with Mexican food, will work as a side for them and a main for me? I decided to make a Shrimp and Mango Ceviche and stuffed it in little sweet peppers and everyone loved them! I was so glad to have something tasty and festive to eat that I didn't even mind being surrounded by tacos and beers. No slips and I am so proud of myself for making the best of today, and once we got talking about Whole30 one of my friends sounded interested in trying it. I guess I didn't make it look like much of a sacrifice today!! :D

P1020892.JPG

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congratulations! I finished day 4.  Been a little challenging my husband ended up in the emergency room twice in one day and admitted to the hospital.  I almost bailed Whole30 telling myself this was to much stress to be at the start of a Whole30 and my husband in the hospital.  I stopped my pity party and said "This is Life" and kept on the Whole30 plan.  My husband is doing better and I am really proud of myself for making the Whole30 work no matter what life throws at you.  I had one of my hamburgers with guacamole and veges for breakfast.  I fixed a tuna salad for lunch that I brought with me to the hospital then dinner i had a chicken breast with veges.  Thank goodness I chop up veges in advance.  Makes it so much easier to throw something together.  I was eating dinner tonight realizing even though this is my 2nd Whole30 in a year and a half the Whole30 has changed my eating patterns.  I eat less fruit and lots more vegies plus I cannot imagine a breakfast with out vegetables.  I hate going to eat out for breakfast since I usually never get enough vegetables and so am hungry soon after.  Well on to Day 5 and what ever life brings to me.  

10 hours ago, k9zoo said:

For breakfast, I usually just have two boiled eggs and sometimes add a banana. I'm not a big breakfast eater. My stomach doesn't wake up too early and is pretty picky that time of day. For lunch, I'll have a salad with tuna and maybe a piece of fruit. Then dinner is chicken, baked potato and salad or green veggie.

Keep trying with breakfast, and keep trying to eat within an hour of wakening - this is key to get your hormones re-balanced. Honestly, you'll be surprised at how quickly your appetite comes around. Personally I'd never be able to eat hard boiled eggs for breakfast - they're definitely hard to digest and it's tough to take your time over them so you kind of choke them down. Have you tried scrambled? Or maybe a fried egg over a burger patty with some mushrooms & tomatoes on the side? Or blended veg soups work well with meatballs or chicken wings/drumsticks..... Try not to let the fruit push the veg off of your plate.

6 hours ago, mschmuki said:

One of the things the newsletter suggests is having at least 3 meals that take 15 minutes or less for those days that you come home and don't want to cook, for whatever reason. I've only found one in my Whole30 book and I don't have the cookbook. Does anyone have some quick and tasty suggestions I can keep up my sleeve?

You could have a container of chopped veg in your fridge that can be sauteed in some oil & then topped with some eggs? Or buy a naked rotisserie chicken which you can de-bone & have the meat to add to all kinds of hot or cold dishes. I do a large batch cooking session on a Sunday - a few protein options, a couple of veg side dishes or soups, maybe a one pot meal etc., then all I do for each meal is grab a prepped protein & a veggie side & then add my fat source. No cooking except for a rare occasion on week nights.

It feels good to have almost made it through the first week! I'll admit, I had thoughts of quitting this week (my favorite crazy thought was 'i'm not craving anything sugary or anything so I must have been eating pretty good before this so I can just quit and keep eating okay but have ice cream') but I really do want to improve my health so I'm pushing forwards! Planning to make a LOT of food today (even if I just freeze some of it) so I'm not scouring grocery aisles this week in a panic. I've been doing pretty good I think with the meal template, making sure the protein is palm-sized (big adjustment for me as I love pot roast which is what I made this week and I usually eat a LOT in one meal) with 2/3 veggies (still working on that) and usually a small serving of fruit (I LOVE fruit). I'm hoping to branch out this week and try some new recipes. Here's to week 2! 

And I love this forum and the camaraderie here! 

Had a delicious breakfast with compliant bacon spinach eggs Japanese sweet potato leftover and half a blood orange and 1/4 avocado. I believe there should be some carbs like potato or sw potato in every meal to carry you over.  I am nervous about the weigh in also but can already feel my clothes are fitting better and today is day 6 !!!

36 minutes ago, Oakley710 said:

Does anybody know what the rules are when it comes to ingredients that say "May Contain"? I got these raisins in the organic section yesterday at the store and basiy paid no attention to the second line... 

IMG_20170205_071805712.jpg

I would not take a chance on those, why ruin a perfect meal with non compliance raisins?

49 minutes ago, Oakley710 said:

Does anybody know what the rules are when it comes to ingredients that say "May Contain"? I got these raisins in the organic section yesterday at the store and basiy paid no attention to the second line... 

IMG_20170205_071805712.jpg

The "May contain" language is fine.  That's cover your xxx, legal disclaimer language (similar to the "made in a facility that also processes nuts" language. 

However the palm and/or sunflower oil is not recommended. Canola oil is allowed, reluctantly, if you have to dine out. Look for dried fruit without these oils.

During your Whole30, focus on fresh, unprocessed fruit. If you need dried fruit for a recipe addition, look for one with just fruit and an allowable preservative. See the additives guide below as well as the "Can I have" guide  

http://whole30.com/2014/07/new-whole30/

http://whole30.com/downloads/additives.pdf

38 minutes ago, Marjet said:

I believe there should be some carbs like potato or sw potato in every meal to carry you over

THe recommendation is actually to start with a fist sized serving per day and see how you feel. Some people need more (particularly those who are very active, or who are prone to anxiety/depression), and some do well with less. Anyone with a sedentary lifestyle or blood sugar issues should probably limit their starches to every other day. Ultimately it's the protein & fat that will provide the slow release energy that will carry you over to the next meal.

Going good! Heading to the in laws and have a bag of food packed for the day. Feel weird brining my own food but I know it's the only way to stay on track. 

I have also spent most of my week in the kitchen. Usually prepare enough in the evening for breakfast and lunch the next day. Yesterday morning I made sweet potatoe, eggs and hie made guacamole. In the past I discovered avocado made me nauseous after eating it. Yesterday I figured I would try it again and it was horrible!! Delicious but I felt horrible. Thought I was going to throw up all morning. Won't be doing that anymore!! 

Other than the avocado sickness I have been feeling well! I feel "lightness" if you know what I mean? My boyfriend is doing most of the plan with me as well and he is down 9lbs!! He is enjoying the meals I'm making as well. Made no egg ranch dressing last night and it was deeeeelicious!! Had it with hot wings! I have some packed for the day to have with carrots. Also made almond milk this morning for my boyfriend. He was happy with it :)

Anyone have any good curry dishes? I may try cauliflower rice this week. Would love a curry to pair with it! Mmmm. 

Keep up the awesome work everyone! 

Day 5 and yesterday I could-not-stop-crying. Today feels gloomy again in my interior landscape, but I had a great breakfast of leftover roasted sweet potatoes and Brussels sprouts (see, just trying to spell Brussels put me in a grumpy funk!) with fried eggs on top and an avocado. I definitely don't feel hungry unless, like yesterday, I did not have lunch (sub cafe Americano while I cried on the phone to my bestie) and ate dinner late and then felt hungry before bed but didn't want to eat so close to sleepy time. I did some relaxing yoga and took a bath and fell into a restless sleep; hopefully my husband is a perfect gentleman today! Thank goodness that he has the Super Bowl. I will miss beer during the game, but I did purchase some Kombucha, so I plan to take others' advice and enjoy that over ice. Here's to my body being freed of false foods! Good luck all :)

Day 5 of my Whole 30 journey. I did get sick with a sore throat and cough, but oddly enough I feel surprisingly strong and not tired at all.

My immune system is already complicated with Rheumatoid Arthritis, but I have been in remission for 3.5 years due to my diet. Whole 30 has me feeling great.

I am also a competitive Adult Ice Dancer who skates at an international level. The food choices on this diet are fueling my off ice workouts and on ice training just fine.

I don't complicate my food choices...I keep it simple...protein,veggies,fruit. I used to be a sugarholic. No more. Cravings for sweets and snacks... totally gone!! Moving on to Week 2 of Whole 30.

I would recommend this diet to all who have an autoimmune disease! I hope my weight decreases as well. I hate the no scale thing, but as an athlete, I stick with the program.

On 2/1/2017 at 9:27 AM, samnkelli said:

Mom2210s, I found this when I searched the W30 forums (click on Approved protein powder to read the whole thread)

http://paleoproproducts.com/paleo-protein-powder/  (plain naked flavor only, all others contain stevia)

Moderator at the time said it was ok.  

Also found a post that said there are compliant protein bars made of crickets....yeah, crickets. I've heard they are actually good so you might want to look into that. 

OK, so here is my update on the Peleo Protein powder. I ordered a sample pack of chocolate, vanilla, and plain, and a pack of pumpkin spice. They came yesterday and so far I tried the chocolate yesterday and pumpkin spice this morning. The chocolate was OK, not as good as the others I have been using, but no bad taste so I can drink it. Not as smooth or flavorful as the Muscle Milk or Unjury, but certainly good enough. The pumpkin spice is delicious! I blended it a bit longer and that made it creamier, and the flavor is mild but good. So thank you for the link! I am good to go. I was seriously missing the protein boost at the end of day 3 with no supplements. So far no problems on day 5 of 2.

Bye for now!

The rest of my family had pancakes w/syrup for breakfast.  I had eggs and fruit and spinach.  By mid-morning, my husband was dragging and cranky.... Not me!  That carried me through until my 12:30 lunch!... Felt good! 

I think the weekends are the toughest! I'm "depressed" today simply because when I'm just sitting around the house, I have more time to think about food or what I "would have been eating" lol. But I'm prepping! Got fajita stuff in the crockpot (sans tortillas), made pulled pork (pretty sure it was a fail), gonna make some burger patties and baked chicken next and have ghee going in the Instant Pot. Whew! I need work days again so I'm on a schedule! 

Day 5

It's good to read everyone else's posts. Finding out what people are eating and doing.

I've bought a hot pot / slow cooker and made a great chicken curry that was sooooo easy peasy. 

I'm finding breakfasts quite hard as  the food I'm cooking at night I don't want in the morning. I really should get up earlier..... A great tip to have vegetables ready chopped 

I'm gonna try and start exercising tomorrow. Feel ready now :-) 

Happy eating everyone x 

15 minutes ago, HEDGEHOG8 said:

Day 5

It's good to read everyone else's posts. Finding out what people are eating and doing.

I've bought a hot pot / slow cooker and made a great chicken curry that was sooooo easy peasy. 

I'm finding breakfasts quite hard as  the food I'm cooking at night I don't want in the morning. I really should get up earlier..... A great tip to have vegetables ready chopped 

Happy eating everyone x 

Chicken curry?!? I am looking for a recipe! Want to share? :D 

Hungry!!  Gotta Cook again...:O)  Tonights Super Bowl dinner is lime cilantro chicken breast, spaghetti squash with a sauce made from a can of tomatoes with some sautéed onions red peppers and jalapeño.  A baked potato with mayo and ghee. 

15 minutes ago, HEDGEHOG8 said:

Day 5

Happy eating everyone x 

Chicken curry?!? I am looking for a recipe! Want to share? :D 

2 hours ago, Michelle H said:

I think the weekends are the toughest! I'm "depressed" today simply because when I'm just sitting around the house, I have more time to think about food or what I "would have been eating" lol. But I'm prepping! Got fajita stuff in the crockpot (sans tortillas), made pulled pork (pretty sure it was a fail), gonna make some burger patties and baked chicken next and have ghee going in the Instant Pot. Whew! I need work days again so I'm on a schedule! 

Weekends are hardest for sure!   But we're (almost) a quarter of the way through them!  

My husband and I started this on Feb 1. We just completed the 10 Day Detox Diet and transitioned to Whole30 for 30 days. Is there something special I have to do to join the thread, or just keep coming back to read?

1 hour ago, HEDGEHOG8 said:

Day 5

Happy eating everyone x 

Remember it is only for 30 days, and if you consider the changes you will feel in your body and your health, why not get over the "I don't like eating at breakfast"?   Maybe I'm just an eater, but I love all the meals, and I guess I am lucky my husband loves it too.  In fact he almost licks his plate....lol  Like someone else said, we are already 1/4 down the month!

Archived