FEBRUARY 1, 2017 Start Date? JOIN THIS THREAD!!

samnkelli

Hi!

I've been lurking and enjoy reading all of your posts. 

The Whole 30 went well. I went through the reintroduction with 2 days in between each group.  The only foods that really seemed to bother me were corn and whole wheat. I had a horrible stomach ache after each meal that I had whole wheat. Such a bummer.  I've mainly kept up with the Whole 30, but been lax in few areas.  I did slay the sugar dragon though! I had a HUGE sweet tooth prior to starting the W30.  Since then, I've been able to eat a small bite of cake or just 3 cherry sours and I'm satisfied. Prior to W30 i would have had handful after handful of the cherry sours. :)

My clothes are loser and I notice I have more energy.  Starting today I'm going to be more strict and follow the W30 guidelines closer like I did in my original W30.

Thanks for sharing all of your ideas, victories, and struggles.  I enjoy reading that I'm not the only one have the good and bad days.

Cheers!

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello,

Fully complient today - even said no to the Yorkshire pudding! 

My cat Rolo is just the same as Mango in the night time - he was a stray and is at least 17 - he has a special trick wetting his paws in his water bowl and then squeaking on a mirror or glass! Genius really if it wasn't at 3 a.m 

As far as reintroductions go there was a few things that I really wanted that I tried.

The chocolate cake I had in Germany was the best and was worth it. It didn't appear to effect be at all or give me any craving for other sweet things.

I really like dilute juice - correction I did... I tried a bit and it tasted alcoholic. I poured the rest away and I didn't have it again. I prefer gonger cut up into slices and put in my water bottle - tastes like ginger ale x 

I tried dark chocolate - only a square and it didn't make me want more.

I like chewy kids sweets and have had 1-3 but they leave me wanting more and I could so easily lose control with them. These definitely awoke the dragon! 

I am now not having any dried fruit and not having fruit most days. I allow some sugar in sauces every now and again and that seems to be ok. I have also stopped having any nuts - except cashew nuts in my stir fry.

The exercise is not going very well and perhaps that is the key to changing my shape more and also losing more weight? 

Its good to hear from you all as always ;-) 

happy eating everyone xxx

7 hours ago, LadyLisbette said:

Thanks for your kind words, Marjet...your slow cooker meal sounds good! I am trying out Nom Nom's slow cooker Kahlua pork for the first time, will have it tonight. I'm reading a lot about the science of this FODMAP intolerance, and hoping that is what it is. I did have a minor bout yesterday, which was day 3 of low FODMAP so I don't have any explanations. I'm chalking it up to my gut recovering and trying not to worry about it...meanwhile I'm just being as consistent as possible, making the best decisions possible. There are mixed opinions about where foods are in the FODMAP spectrum, like some say yams are ok, some say they are not...so as always, it boils down to what is best for the individual....to be safe, I've eliminated all of the usual suspects...it's getting easier. I'm introducing new vegetables, enjoying endive and cucumber. Last night I made delicious Thai turkey meatballs, really spicy and colorful with veg and herbs. Yummmm.

Welcome back Hedgehog! Looking forward to your updates! 

Treenybash, you are reminding me that I also desperately need to clean my oven! I'm still debating whether or not to do the self cleaning mode that Marjet described, and just get through the bad smell that fills the house, or break down and pay someone to do it for me. Such a nasty job. I guess it's a spring cleaning thing. Hppe you feel better soon!

Still working on my time management. I should get up earlier, but I'm enjoying the legendary good W30 sleep, which took me many weeks to get to....trying to be patient with myself for the fine tuning. I also realized that if not everything on my list gets done because I am spending the time preparing food and eating food, maybe that's ok. 

Are you guys finding that you're sitting at the table a lot longer than you used to, eating your food? chew chew, sip, sip, sip.

Could you post the recipe of the Thai Turkey meatballs, I love turkey meatballs they are a favorite.  I usually make them with chopped onion and chopped mushrooms and an egg and spices...but yours sounds very yummy!

1 hour ago, HEDGEHOG8 said:

Hello,

Fully complient today - even said no to the Yorkshire pudding! 

My cat Rolo is just the same as Mango in the night time - he was a stray and is at least 17 - he has a special trick wetting his paws in his water bowl and then squeaking on a mirror or glass! Genius really if it wasn't at 3 a.m 

As far as reintroductions go there was a few things that I really wanted that I tried.

The chocolate cake I had in Germany was the best and was worth it. It didn't appear to effect be at all or give me any craving for other sweet things.

I really like dilute juice - correction I did... I tried a bit and it tasted alcoholic. I poured the rest away and I didn't have it again. I prefer gonger cut up into slices and put in my water bottle - tastes like ginger ale x 

I tried dark chocolate - only a square and it didn't make me want more.

I like chewy kids sweets and have had 1-3 but they leave me wanting more and I could so easily lose control with them. These definitely awoke the dragon! 

I am now not having any dried fruit and not having fruit most days. I allow some sugar in sauces every now and again and that seems to be ok. I have also stopped having any nuts - except cashew nuts in my stir fry.

The exercise is not going very well and perhaps that is the key to changing my shape more and also losing more weight? 

Its good to hear from you all as always ;-) 

happy eating everyone xxx

So Funny about Rolo, Mango sometimes drinks with his paws, like dips them and licks them also on the bathroom sink.  But mostly he calls for me to turn the tap on, I have stopped running for him to do that, so now he is not so demanding about that anymore.  In fact we put a cat fountain in the basement for him and Puma.  Puma and Mango are brothers, they were both feral cats that we adopted when they were 1 year old.  Puma is a gentle quiet sole at night, thank the Lord.  But he likes his loving during the day for sure.  I am longing for my chocolate.  10 more days!

I love hearing about people reintroducing old favorite treats, and finding that they don't care for them as much, and no longer feel addicted, that's so encouraging! Hedgehog, I am with you with the kids chewy treats...how I love Swedish Fish, and as for the rest, I will refrain from typing the names. We know. = p

Meanwhile, I think I've turned a corner. I'm feeling lighter, and more confident. I had 3 meals today...meal 1 was kind of weird, I didn't want the cod to go bad so I pan fried some cod in just ghee with s&p, and the last bits of my last veg roast (carrots and zuccini) seemed unappetizing, so I added chicken stock, pureed it into a soup, then ate the cod in the "soup"...then for meal 2 I treated myself to that kabobs place I've written about before and had lamb kabobs with a beautiful salad and roasted vegetables, picking around the onions (high fodmap)....I drank most of the rest of the day's water in the hour after lunch because I'm trying to keep from getting up to pee so much in the night...for dinner I did have a moment of envy looking at my husband's plate but I got over it. For the first time I made surf and turf tacos - lettuce leaves for me (yay for organic butter leaf at my local big grocery!) and crispy shells for him. I enjoyed the salty smell of the shells. For him sour cream, cheese, the works, and for me/to share a big plate of juienned carrots, jicama, tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini. When we sat down I didn't like my dinner as much as I hoped, and looked at his taco shells over there out of my reach, and really wanted one! I re-configured my toppings, adding more jicama (ooh I love jicama), and then I was happy and the moment passed.

And finally, a few organic blackberries for the win. So sweet.

Hedgehog, I too am really struggling to get the exercise consistent. I am feeling like the W30 is so much more influential over my weight loss than working out, but there's no denying that movement is also essential. Just as W30 is not about weight loss, but so many other benefits as we know, I feel the same is true for exercise...essential...but my motivation is just not there....I'm out of the habit, and there are so many other things to do...

What is holding you up on your end? What kind of exercise do you enjoy? I'm a fan of enjoyable exercise...my husband uses a stationary bike and does it faithfully but finds no joy in it. I don't understand that. But at least he's doing it!

Hi Everyone! Glad to see a few of you still hanging in there with your extended Whole30s! I completed the reintros as recommended in the book. Then this past weekend I threw a friends bachelorette weekend which was lots of beer, pizza and eating out. The night we had the pizza I woke up in the night feeling like I had a big dough ball in my stomach and was really uncomfortable. I've been eating clean W30ish since Monday and I can still feel my body trying to recover, my muscles have been sore and my endurance is lower. Looking forward to my body feeling its best again with clean whole nutrients! I also think that high quantities of dairy, like yogurt and cottage cheese, make me bloated. By the way, the red rash I had on my arm in response to reintroducing red wine on March 3rd is still there! I think I stained my arm, it's so weird. Hang in there ladies, you should all be very proud of yourselves for dedicating so much time and energy to being happier and healthier versions of yourselves!!

Hello everyone.  Love hearing all the stories.  Anna H and kelsysgotthis love hearing your stories on your reintro success. Love pizza also so that was interesting to read your reaction.   Re-Intro I am a little scared about so to hear your success stories was helpful.  I need to start preparing for my reintro.  I am now on day 51 so really need to start thinking about this. Like LadyLisbette I have been having some cravings.  Mine are not with the tacos but I would love to have some chocolate cake.  I am thinking this is going to be one of my first reintros.  This might be to much of a reintro since it has sugar, dairy and flour.  So will have to think that through.  I also been having trouble with exercise.  I have two reasons one is it takes time and the other is I hurt my rotatory cuff two and half months ago and it still hurts I have been in PT for 7 weeks I am getting an MRI today to see what if something more is wrong.  So when I exercise a lot it can aggravate the rotatory cuff argh!  

I am not sure if I am ready for reintro.  I think I am scared to go back to my old habits.  Need confidence there.  Will really have to get strong and let my self know I do like eating the new way and eating the old way did not bring as many good long term rewards only short rewards.  

Today is my Day 51

Just checking in to say I've had a couple of good days, busy with work, not sick in two days, and feeling okay with the way I'm feeding myself...this is day 38, and day 8 of low FODMAPs. I'm eating a lot more salad, and enjoying it. Tonight for the first time I put in a tray of carrots and parsnips to roast. I also made a pot of Silkened Zucchini Soup (Well Fed), and Nom Nom's Wonton Meatballs. The meatballs were really delicious with coconut aminos and a big crunchy salad. I'm not feeling deprived, but challenged and determined. 

Liz, I really relate to your feelings of being scared of going back to old habits...have you read ISWF? I can't remember if you mentioned it. Melissa talks about that in the book, and although I haven't read Food Freedom Forever, I'll bet there's a lot about it in there, too....for myself, I'm thinking if I did W30 "by the book" to the best of my ability, I can also approach re-introductions "by the book", too. I imagine I will find some confidence and security in that process...

There are so many areas of our lives that require us to cultivate self-trust, and this is such a big one. What a healing opportunity for us to learn to trust ourselves to make good decisions, not out of deprivation, but because the new habits are so life giving, and so pleasurable. You will till that soil before me since you are two weeks ahead of me. I am confident in you. 

H all,

Hope you're having a good weekend. I've been feeling a bit sick and have had some kind of viral infection I think. On the road to recovery now. I have a slight headache left. Ever since I've been little I've always had white bread for toast when I've felt bad and have resisted :-) go me.

Lady Lisbette exercise wise I used to like classes but they stopped doing Bokwa. I kinda like Zumba and have done some body jam. I'm intending on starting an exercise DVD for 30 days to get myself moving. I also swim but find it a bit boring going up and down - better for my joints when I'm this weight though :-( 

Happy eating everyone x keep up the good work 

Hope you're feeling better soon, HedgeHog! Isn't it a great feeling to break old habits i.e. your white bread. Yay!

I like Zumba too. What's Bokwa? I got a good hike in today and then a couple of hours of yard work so I'm sure I'll go to bed early tonight. I'm aiming for some kind of movement every day even if it's 10 minutes of stretching. I'm keeping an eye on a sore hip and that entire side is tight especially the hamstrings. I know that stretching is what I need....so I am in total solidarity with you! We can do this!

oh joy, oh boy a new reason to get up in the morning: homemade MAYO. Oh is that good. I'm a little late to the party I know...it's my third attempt and in fact the third time is the charm! 

Ive found that eating somewhat spicy leftovers for meal 1 is much more palatable and I'm not feeling gaggy like before--this is encouraging.

Hope you're all doing well and thriving with our new ways! Happy spring to all!

Hedgehog!  What is Bokwa?  Im curious now too.  Today is day 57 for us.  We just had dinner chicken asparagus half a sweet potato grilled cauliflower and a little guacamole.  My husband just sat here eating and enjoying his dinner, and then said...I don't see a reason to go back to other ways of eating.  We both really enjoy all the meals.  THE ONLY THING is that I spent a very long time cooking every day.  I would say at least 2.5 to 3 hours each day and then clean up after.  I cannot image that working people can do the same thing.  It is difficult to get into other chores here on the property.  

This past weekend we had friends over visiting for a couple of nights.  They enjoyed the meals I made and my girlfriend made a delicious shrimp entree and I added two sides of veggies and potatoes.  They could not eat lunch on Saturday, they said they were still full from the breakfast I made.  We both eat three healthy meals each day.  Friday night I did have a few glasses of red wine and really enjoyed them.  Did not seem to have any side effects.  Then I had none on Saturday and was very proud of myself.  Did the Kamboucha instead.

What I would like is to find a restaurant that makes it easy for me to stay in line and this may not be easy here.  I live in the south!  Close to the North Carolina border in South Carolina.  And all they love here or mostly is fried foods, gritts and then more fried foods.  There is a nice Thai restaurant not far from our place, but then you get into the noodle and rice stuff.  So I will have to figure out how to take care of my wanting to dine out feeling.

Three more days and I am going to have some yummy peanut butter (Trader Joes) sugar free on an Appel and do the legumes in a salad, as they mention in the reintro.  It will be interesting.  BTW hubby did have a piece of bread on Saturday with the spicey shrimp dish, but not me....  He said he had a slight headache after that meal.  But it is hard to say as he still has his cocktails and wine, he never stopped that.

How is everyone else doing?????

Marjet, that is amazing and enviable - your husband saying no reason to go back to other ways of eating! I'm happy for you to have a full partner in this adventure...I'm guessing he doesn't cook as much as you do? I agree with you that it is a substantial addition of time spent cooking and cleaning up, etc..

I keep thinking that it's like a "paper chase" of groceries and cooking!  I'll enjoy my cooking for a few days, quick prepping salads and things here and there, and watch the fridge hollow out a bit, then get to planning again for the cycle to start all over. I feel a definite advantage at the age I am now (50) compared to earlier stages of my life because I have learned to enjoy prepping and cooking, and I was a late bloomer compared to many of my friends, and also because my schedule is more flexible now than ever since I work for myself and I'm not in "building" mode if that makes sense. Time management continues to challenge me, I must say, but I think it's all just becoming the new normal.

I'm excited about the cottage pie in the oven! I pan sauteéd turnips and parsips, then browned the beef with tomato paste, cumin, s&p, cinnamon, cloves, paprika, Aleppo pepper, and topped it off with a mash of Yukon gold potato/turnip/parsnip that had ghee, and lots of s&p...I made a big spirally design on the top and sprinkled paprika over the top, and cannot wait to eat it! I'll have to thank jmcbn for the idea. It's been out with Brussels sprouts and cauliflower and in with the parnsips and turnips which are quite delicious, actually! Also am loving the homemade mayo. The beat goes on. Hope y'all are happy and well fed!

On 3/27/2017 at 6:43 PM, Marjet said:

Hedgehog!  What is Bokwa?  Im curious now too.  Today is day 57 for us.  We just had dinner chicken asparagus half a sweet potato grilled cauliflower and a little guacamole.  My husband just sat here eating and enjoying his dinner, and then said...I don't see a reason to go back to other ways of eating.  We both really enjoy all the meals.  THE ONLY THING is that I spent a very long time cooking every day.  I would say at least 2.5 to 3 hours each day and then clean up after.  I cannot image that working people can do the same thing.  It is difficult to get into other chores here on the property.  

This past weekend we had friends over visiting for a couple of nights.  They enjoyed the meals I made and my girlfriend made a delicious shrimp entree and I added two sides of veggies and potatoes.  They could not eat lunch on Saturday, they said they were still full from the breakfast I made.  We both eat three healthy meals each day.  Friday night I did have a few glasses of red wine and really enjoyed them.  Did not seem to have any side effects.  Then I had none on Saturday and was very proud of myself.  Did the Kamboucha instead.

What I would like is to find a restaurant that makes it easy for me to stay in line and this may not be easy here.  I live in the south!  Close to the North Carolina border in South Carolina.  And all they love here or mostly is fried foods, gritts and then more fried foods.  There is a nice Thai restaurant not far from our place, but then you get into the noodle and rice stuff.  So I will have to figure out how to take care of my wanting to dine out feeling.

Three more days and I am going to have some yummy peanut butter (Trader Joes) sugar free on an Appel and do the legumes in a salad, as they mention in the reintro.  It will be interesting.  BTW hubby did have a piece of bread on Saturday with the spicey shrimp dish, but not me....  He said he had a slight headache after that meal.  But it is hard to say as he still has his cocktails and wine, he never stopped that.

How is everyone else doing?????

Marjet -

Is there a Zoe's Kitchen near you? I have found that their shrimp and chicken kabobs are compliant and I get the grilled potatoes and salad with it.  Check out their menu online - especially the Under 500 section.

Yes, the meal prep and working a full day are difficult, as you mention. But, the way I feel really offsets all of that. I think all of the extra dishes are what's killing me. :)

Hello there.  Have not posted in a while.  I am struggling.  Never have struggled like this on the plan.  I am not sure why and my struggle has caused a vicious cycle.  I am eating compliant but not correctly.  I have been into walnuts and baked apple crisp then I am not hungry for meals when I should be.  Yes these are compliant but I am probably having sex with my pants on right now.  So this is why we are here to support each other.  Just writing this to you all is helping me out.  I have been reading the new book on reintroduction and some of the things I am doing she discusses in the book.  I am struggling but I need to think through this.  I head out to remote Alaska again in one week.  This is at the re-intro time.  I will take food out with me to stay in the re-intro mode.  I did not do 60 days to not do re-intro correct.  One item I am looking forward to when I am out in the Alaska village is some real smoked salmon.  This is probably going to be a good re-intro food since it is salmon but cured with salt and brown sugar.  It is not alot of sugar but it does have sugar.   Hanging in there but need to make a commitment for the next few days of my 60 days before re-intro.  

Today is Day 57

Hi Liz, you have been missed!

You're almost there. Glad you'll have a couple of days of re-intro before going to Alaska again. Hope writing about it here helped you sort it out some...I know you can do this. Melissa says, "there is no such thing as a perfect W30". Would it help if you post here what your meal plans are for the next few days? We'll be your witnesses!

2 hours ago, Liz's Journey said:

Liz, don't give up!  I know how you feel, I have been going through the same feeling.  Wanting to have something different to snack on.  But not wanting to change the compliancy of all our hard work for 60 days!   I am day 60, just waking up and will weigh myself today.  It does not feel like I have lost anything.  The big thing for me is that my sugars are still in control.  I crave something sweet still.  So 2 days ago I blended two frozen bananas with pure cocoa and boy was it good.  Shared it with my husband, if not I would have eaten the whole thing.  Still compliant right!  Going to Alaska is exciting but difficult.  I am sure you can find the right foods.  Smoked Salmon has so many good things for our body, that I believe it to be ok to have a tiny sugar in it.  Who knows maybe you can find one without?  The Norwegian smoked salmon is cured without sugar.  You have come such a long way.  

Thank you both for being here LadyLisbette and Liz, I kind of depend on you both!  And of course Anna H and others who come and go!  Stay with us!!

Update, I lost nothing..not even an ounce.  Darn.  So I think it means I ate entirely too many rx bars and macadamia nuts and probably too many potatoes.  Well my sugar count is still down, AND we will continue on this way of eating mostly.  Start reintroduce legumes tomorrow!  Yeah!

Thanks Marjet and LadyLisbette

I needed some encouragement and knowing that others were struggling also.  I live in Alaska but am going out to a remote Village.  The smoked salmon is only homemade out there and always with brown sugar but not a lot.  I grew up on the stuff and absolutely love it.  It is cured how you see it in pictures cut in strips or whole salmon hung over sticks in a smoker to dry.  For me it is delicious.  

I did not do well yesterday but did stay compliant just a lot of sex with the pants on.  I ate a good breakfast this morning hoping to deal with it.  I am also house sitting so I weighed myself early and only lost 1 or 2 pounds which was really discouraging for me.  (I weighed early so I could use my scale.)  I have to say I was already slipping before I weighed but that did not help.  

I have some good cocoa so I think I will try the banana cocoa idea.  

Today is Day 58 for me.  

Marjet, that's really awesome that your sugar count is way down - total NSV. Woo hoo! I keep reminding myself that this is the early stage of a major lifestyle change, and to trust the process for the long term, and trust myself to learn from my mistakes. Twice this week I drove home from the grocery store with a pint of fresh berries. I think this also qualifies as SWYPO...so I recognize that, and observed how it made me feel, and asked myself what's up with that...in hindsight I think it was the indulgence of a craving that comes with week 4 of my cycle. As indulgences go, I've come a long way. And technically, like you, Liz, it was compliant, just maybe not ideal. But I'm going to be forgiving as long as I don't let myself sleep at the wheel -- I'll learn from it, and next time I want those berries, check in about how hungry am I, and is it hunger or craving, etc, etc...

That cocoa and banana sure sounds good....and the smoked salmon with a little brown sugar also sounds heavenly!!

I've been using ground beef to make breakfast sausages with s&p, fennel seeds, and ground oregano and thyme. With a side of roast veg, and a little cantaloupe too, and I've realized that I haven't "gagged" my breakfast down in a long time. It's the eggs...I love eggs! But I prefer meat at breakfast with some kind of hearty spices, and that is always so much more enjoyable than eggs...I can't *imagine* having stopped this process after 30 days...there has been so much learning in the last few weeks. 

The other notable realization of this week....so, for years I've been enjoying drinking roast dandelion root tea. It's thought to be a liver tonic, and I like the way it tastes, kind of roasty and earthy, a little bit like coffee if you let it steep long...but I drink it for pleasure without knowing much about it. I looked into it more recently and D'OH! I should NOT have been drinking it while my stomach was so upset because it's also a laxative! NOT what I needed! Oy vey! So it's on to very gentle chamomile tea for me...and that is fine! My tummy was a tiny bit dicy today, but otherwise it's been 4 days of not being sick, which is great.

I'm thinking I'll continue low FODMAP eating while I do my W30 re-introductions....this is day 43...day 60 will be Easter Sunday. = ) Time to begin again, rise again on Easter.

Sleepy now, good night to all and keep up the great work!

So reintroduction has started and I tried peanut butter, from TJ's no sugar, just peanuts on an Appel. YUM. I do feel a bit odd now, kind of slow mo.  So it might be from that or maybe something else.  Tonight we will have some beans with a salad.  I made a Tuscan salad with a head of romaine chopped, some red onion, parsley, celery chopped red olives, capers and...cannelli beans.  Olive oil and fresh lemon and S&P.  We shall see what that will do.  

My husband and I are celebrating our anniversary, and we went to the fancy joint in town for a late lunch...I was mightily tempted to go off plan. Instead I had sparkling water, and enjoyed a compliant appetizer and entreé...I also enjoyed a delicious coffee black even though it's high FODMAP, it's W30 compliant and I let that be my treat. I hope to not pay a consequence for that...anyway...

I flashed on my little fear of "riding my own bike" even though I am still a few weeks away from Easter (day 60). I identified it as a fear of not being in control. In theory I know that identifying the fear can be helpful, so I think between now and Easter I'm going to focus on seeing myself as a person who is in control, since I have been since Feb. 1!...and imagine that I am re-wiring my brain.

Meanwhile, I am feeling so, so good. I feel more graceful in my body. I'm wearing my clothes better, and feeling more confident and attractive. This is such a welcome change from the way I've felt in the last couple of years. My pants are telling me that I've lost at least the weight gained since Christmas 2015...and I think it's just the beginning. Deep sigh of gratitude.

As we continue to celebrate, my husband will sip his Sailor Jerry's rum, and I will drink Kombucha = )

OMG. He is making some healthy changes, too!!! Not W30 eating, but some lifestyle changes i.e. letting go of sleep aids, and getting up early, and exercising early instead of after dinner. This is an answer to my prayers. This is the pattern I prefer, but too often I stay up late with him to enjoy his company and consequently don't get up as early as I'd like...so this will be good for our marriage, and good for me - will probably exercise more mornings per week now since we will be on the same sleep schedule. Now if we could get the cat to pipe down in the wee hours...

Archived