FEBRUARY 1, 2017 Start Date? JOIN THIS THREAD!!

samnkelli

One and a half days down!  I was expecting to feel lousy today, but am fine!  (Not that it still isn't coming....)   I'm actually not very hungry, or craving much.  Maybe all the mental prep I did expecting to feel "hung over" today had me fearing the worst, so in comparison....I'm doing just fine.    Well see what the next few days bring.   

A couple weeks ago I made a crockpot full of curry chicken - very easy - just chicken, curry paste and coconut milk.   It's not my #1 favorite, but it's pretty good.  And then I froze a lot of it.  I'm already grateful to have those emergency rations in the freezer just in case!  Had some for lunch. 

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm already noticing how often I (used to) just "pop" a little something in my mouth....walk by the candy dish at work. licking the peanut butter off when making kids' sandwiches, snacks while making dinner.  I've caught myself a few times already. 

on day 3, half day has passed, so far so good

the weird thing is that I felt very sleepy yesterday afternoon, it's only day 2, probably it because I cut off coffee and tea. I'm still not used to black coffee, so no coffee for me during whole 30.  Had one cup of tea in the morning, hopefully I won't feel that sleepy this afternoon

2 hours ago, AmyEN said:

One and a half days down!  I was expecting to feel lousy today, but am fine!  (Not that it still isn't coming....)   I'm actually not very hungry, or craving much.  Maybe all the mental prep I did expecting to feel "hung over" today had me fearing the worst, so in comparison....I'm doing just fine.    Well see what the next few days bring.   

I'm not really hungry either... In fact, I couldn't even force myself to eat my lunch. And my lunch was going to be good lol. I was just still satisfied from breakfast. Is that a no-no?

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Jen Dyer said:

This is my first time doing Whole 30.  I made chicken that was in compliance and had dinner at 5:00 - 5:30 pm.  I got hungry again at 8:30 pm after I got home from an event, so I ate more chicken.  I am wondering about quantity.  Since I am eating the right kind of food, does it matter?  I don't want to screw myself.

Ideally, your meals will keep you satisfied 4-5 hours at a time. Many people find that they need to be bigger meals than they're used to for that to happen, and that's fine -- try to make all your meals match the meal template for best results. If you are hungry between meals -- truly hungry, like you'd eat something boring and bland like plain steamed fish and broccoli -- it's fine to eat. It's best to have a mini meal of protein, fat, and vegetables, or at least two of the three.

The fact that you were hungry three hours after you at dinner means there's a good chance your dinner needed to be bigger. Definitely don't be afraid to add fat either -- have 1-2 of the fat options listed on the template at each meal, and remember that often, fat that you cook in stays in the pan or might stay on your plate and isn't actually consumed.

So, the size of your meals matters, but not in the same way it would if you were counting calories or carbs or fat grams -- when you're eating real foods combined in a template-based meal, you're unlikely to overeat the way you would if you just sat down and munched on chips or cookies or nuts or dried fruits.

1 hour ago, Carolyntxy said:

on day 3, half day has passed, so far so good

the weird thing is that I felt very sleepy yesterday afternoon, it's only day 2, probably it because I cut off coffee and tea. I'm still not used to black coffee, so no coffee for me during whole 30.  Had one cup of tea in the morning, hopefully I won't feel that sleepy this afternoon

Carolyn I can't imagine giving up coffee in addition to everything else, and I like cream in my coffee too! I found this Whole30 approved creamer called Nutpods in my local natural food store and it's great! It's not especially sweet but it is really flavorful. If you can't find it in store they sell it on amazon nutpods

• Moderators
1 hour ago, schmukme said:

So I technically start tomorrow, but I was wondering if anyone has tips for headaches in the first week or two? This is my first time doing Whole30 but not the first time I've eliminated soda from my diet and it was rough...

Drink lots of water. Eat plenty of food. Don't forget to salt your food.

Caffeine withdrawal can definitely suck, but typically only for a few days. If you wanted to, you could step down gradually, using caffeinated tea or coffee to wean yourself off it. Or you could just stop and deal with the headaches. The gradual process makes the headaches slightly less bad, but makes the whole process take a bit longer, so it's kind of a matter of, are you the type to rip the bandaid off fast, or do you try to do it slowly in an effort to have less pain?

Well, I am new to Whole 30, looked at the forum a few days ago and decided to start.  So now it is day 3. My husband is going along with me, he loves what I cook and has been enjoying the food that we eat.  So far I have made the Pork roast in a. pressure cooker.  Spicy lime and cilantro chicken and wings.  Lots of salads.  Eggs in the morning with spinach and onions and prosciutto.  Tonight we had Brussel sprouts and baby potatoes with prosciutto, a piece of chicken with some wasabi home made mayo.  Hubby was loving it.  Tomorrow morning I plan on grating a sweet potato and frying an egg to put on top.  We are off to a good start and I am sure excited and happy to find all this support!

1 hour ago, ShannonM816 said:

Drink lots of water. Eat plenty of food. Don't forget to salt your food.

Caffeine withdrawal can definitely suck, but typically only for a few days. If you wanted to, you could step down gradually, using caffeinated tea or coffee to wean yourself off it. Or you could just stop and deal with the headaches. The gradual process makes the headaches slightly less bad, but makes the whole process take a bit longer, so it's kind of a matter of, are you the type to rip the bandaid off fast, or do you try to do it slowly in an effort to have less pain?

What's the policy on over the counter meds like ibuprofen or whatever specifically for caffeine headaches? I didn't see it in the what I can and can't have lists... I already drink coffee but the times I've cut soda out of my diet there wasn't enough coffee in the world to help with the headaches from the sugar withdrawal.

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, mschmuki said:

What's the policy on over the counter meds like ibuprofen or whatever specifically for caffeine headaches? I didn't see it in the what I can and can't have lists... I already drink coffee but the times I've cut soda out of my diet there wasn't enough coffee in the world to help with the headaches from the sugar withdrawal.

If you need a medicine, take it. I don't know of any that are truly Whole30 compliant, but we don't want you to be miserable either. Tylenol is a little easier on the digestive system than ibuprofen, but take whatever you need to.

3 hours ago, kelseysgotthis said:

Carolyn I can't imagine giving up coffee in addition to everything else, and I like cream in my coffee too! I found this Whole30 approved creamer called Nutpods in my local natural food store and it's great! It's not especially sweet but it is really flavorful. If you can't find it in store they sell it on amazon nutpods

wow, that's awesome!  Thanks for the sharing!  I will buy it, can have coffee in 2 days, wonderful!

Hello

Am just finishing Day 2, this morning I could barely get out of bed but managed.  I had yam chili for breakfast, tuna mixed with guacamole added oil and salad for lunch, dinner was a beef soup.  I enjoyed going to the grocery store and passing by on the candy.  I reminded myself that the sugar is not that important being healthy is and it was only day 2.    Keeping it simple is important also.  Tonight I put up homemade hamburger patties into the freezer this is a good quick "oh no what am I going to eat" protein to start a basic meal with and it thaws as it is cooking in the frying pan.   I know the sugar cravings are coming but I also know sticking with the plan helps mentally with those sugar issues.  Tomorrow I am having a steak, yams, other vegies, and of course oil for breakfast.

One person was wondering about meal sizes.  It is important to keep the template in mind, protein, vegetables, and ALWAYS the oil.  I was not a believer in oil the first time I did a Whole 30 since we are trained to loose weight you must eat low fat.  Boy is that a lie you need that oil with the protein and vegetables to balance out the meal.  Eat until you are satisfied and can go about 4 to 5 hours with the template in mind.  Don't worry that you are eating a lot because the Whole30 does work you feel better and you start loosing to your size, whatever that is for your body.  I found I need to eat less as I go further into the 30 days but always keeping the meal template as the proper way to have a meal.  

Take care everyone as we embark on our journey together. 

8 hours ago, Oakley710 said:

I'm not really hungry either... In fact, I couldn't even force myself to eat my lunch. And my lunch was going to be good lol. I was just still satisfied from breakfast. Is that a no-no?

Ideally you'll eat the three meals. Is it possible your breakfast was too large? What did you have?

If it wasn't that large and you still weren't hungry it's indicative that your hormones are a little out of whack. Not eating only perpetuates the problem sow e'd suggest that you still plate up a template meal and eat as much of it as you can, ensuring you get a little of each food group. When you've had enoough pack up the remainder to eat as soon as you feel able - don't wait for the next meal.

Your appetite, and the hormones controlling it, will soon sort itself out.

Hello day 1 has begun,

Well done everyone so far starting is always the hardest x

Meal 1 

Advacodo scrambled eggs and tomatoes 

I didn't like the smoked salmon - too slippery 

img_2722.jpg 
Meal 2

Chicken fruit tomatoes ( not ideal but it snook up on me ) 

Meal 3

img_2735.jpg 
Salmon fish cakes - tried some with sweet potatoes and parsley today 

Broccoli carrots and cauliflower

I have only had one cup of coffee and my head hurts  from the lack of sugar I think. I slept when I got in from work and still feel groggy.

Forgot how much I have to plan when doing this.

Day 2

Managed to do everything right except eat enough! Had 4 meals 2 the same - a mince mush - mince with any left overs including an egg the second time round.

Went out for food for tea and had a Carvary with vegetables

Still need to do a 'big shop' 

Happy eating everyone.

While I not an egg fan, especially in the morning, I'm on egg-breakfast Day 3 - I have been pleasantly surprised that I'm really not hungry until lunch.  Past two days I made myself a fruit + kale smoothie (I know - they're not a recommended thing....) for mid-morning snack.  But I had to almost make myself drink them.  So today -  no smoothie, no problem!  Ate three eggs (in ghee) at 6:30 - and it's carrying me until noon!      One thing I need to work on is the template.  I'm not doing 2/3 veggies....am too heavy on the protein, nuts and fruit I think.  Tweaking as I go! 

2 minutes ago, AmyEN said:

While I not an egg fan, especially in the morning, I'm on egg-breakfast Day 3 - I have been pleasantly surprised that I'm really not hungry until lunch.  Past two days I made myself a fruit + kale smoothie (I know - they're not a recommended thing....) for mid-morning snack.  But I had to almost make myself drink them.  So today -  no smoothie, no problem!  Ate three eggs (in ghee) at 6:30 - and it's carrying me until noon!      One thing I need to work on is the template.  I'm not doing 2/3 veggies....am too heavy on the protein, nuts and fruit I think.  Tweaking as I go! 

How do people eat so early? I eat breakfast at 9, lunch at 2, dinner at 7

17 hours ago, kelseysgotthis said:

I am SO excited to read this!!!!  I just ordered it!!

39 minutes ago, ygygold said:

I eat breakfast at 6 because I have to leave for work at 7 to be at school by 7:30. But then I also eat lunch at 11...which to me is super early! I guess maybe it would depend on what time you have to leave for work? 

11 minutes ago, Jen Dyer said:

I am SO excited to read this!!!!  I just ordered it!!

Nutpods are really good! What flavor did you order, Jen? I love the unsweetened french vanilla and don't care much for the others. I hope you like them!

37 minutes ago, ygygold said:

Ygygold, hunger in the morning takes time if your hormones are out of whack, according to It Starts with Food and this forum. Creating morning hunger takes some discipline and will come as your hormones rebalance. Basically if you have never been a morning eater than your body has gotten used to that. Eating within an hour of waking is important to balancing hormones and getting to a healthy metabolism.

Hedgehog, love the pictures of your meals but I must admit I am extremely distracted by what appears to be SKITTLES (or M&Ms??) as your backdrop! Ha!

Day 5 today -- aka as Kill All Things day. Never really bothered me in my previous rounds but I am feeling it this time for sure. 

Hello to everyone..Happy Friday! any fun meals being planned for the weekend? 

Samnkelli....I'm glad I wasn't the only one distracted with the thought of candy looking at that picture.  Thankfully I'm not a skittles fan!  Didn't allow myself to think of anything involving chocolate.  I bring my lunch to work as I leave home at 6 and can't eat early either but usually eat by 7:30.  I'm finding it amazing that I'm staying so full.  Hope it continues. 

I definitely know I want to do a lot more prep this weekend to make it easier next week.  I'm planning on making a batch of butternut squash soup and vegetable soup along with roasting a whole sheet pan of veggies.  I think I'll try one of the frittata's as I haven't done that yet and I'll have more time this weekend to make it.  I also want to cook some more pork patties or thin pork tenderloin slices and freeze them for quick grab and go breakfast next week.  Last - I tried roasted butternut squash with a little coconut milk and cinnamon and it really helps with my morning veggies and fullness.

Happy day 3 and I'm  2/3 through and still feeling energetic.  I do plan to listen to my body this weekend and nap if I feel like I need it.  Look forward tos eeing what everyone else will be eating.

25 minutes ago, samnkelli said:

Nutpods are really good! What flavor did you order, Jen? I love the unsweetened french vanilla and don't care much for the others. I hope you like them!

Ygygold, hunger in the morning takes time if your hormones are out of whack, according to It Starts with Food and this forum. Creating morning hunger takes some discipline and will come as your hormones rebalance. Basically if you have never been a morning eater than your body has gotten used to that. Eating within an hour of waking is important to balancing hormones and getting to a healthy metabolism.

Hedgehog, love the pictures of your meals but I must admit I am extremely distracted by what appears to be SKITTLES (or M&Ms??) as your backdrop! Ha!

Day 5 today -- aka as Kill All Things day. Never really bothered me in my previous rounds but I am feeling it this time for sure. 

Hello to everyone..Happy Friday! any fun meals being planned for the weekend? 

1 hour ago, AmyEN said:

One thing I need to work on is the template.  I'm not doing 2/3 veggies....am too heavy on the protein, nuts and fruit I think.  Tweaking as I go! 

Hubby and I are in the same boat. At least for breakfast and lunch anyways. I feel like we are pretty veggie solid on dinners.

I do have a headache today. And I miiiight have cried in my chicken salad that I had for lunch. I'm not normally a breakfast eater. So since I've been eating breakfast, I haven't really been hungry for lunch. I'm trying to get myself to eat lunch and get on this schedule though. CURSE YOU HORMONES!! (Really it hasn't been that bad)

34 minutes ago, 4Donna said:

Samnkelli....I'm glad I wasn't the only one distracted with the thought of candy looking at that picture.  Thankfully I'm not a skittles fan!  Didn't allow myself to think of anything involving chocolate.  I bring my lunch to work as I leave home at 6 and can't eat early either but usually eat by 7:30.  I'm finding it amazing that I'm staying so full.  Hope it continues. 

I definitely know I want to do a lot more prep this weekend to make it easier next week.  I'm planning on making a batch of butternut squash soup and vegetable soup along with roasting a whole sheet pan of veggies.  I think I'll try one of the frittata's as I haven't done that yet and I'll have more time this weekend to make it.  I also want to cook some more pork patties or thin pork tenderloin slices and freeze them for quick grab and go breakfast next week.  Last - I tried roasted butternut squash with a little coconut milk and cinnamon and it really helps with my morning veggies and fullness.

Happy day 3 and I'm  2/3 through and still feeling energetic.  I do plan to listen to my body this weekend and nap if I feel like I need it.  Look forward tos eeing what everyone else will be eating.

I ordered the three pack on Amazon.  I will see which I like.  I am so excited!!!

44 minutes ago, 4Donna said:

I SO agree about the prepping. I "thought" I prepped this past weekend but I wasn't nearly prepared enough. My pot roast didn't last as long as I thought it would so I found myself scrambling to prepare more meals. :) And I think I'm gonna have to change up my lunch menu for next week...4 days straight of chicken/veggies is getting old. So I plan to spend much of Saturday planning and shopping! I think that's the hardest part. 

I am wondering if stopping caffeine is making me more tired...usually I grab some coke if I'm tired but I obviously can't do that anymore. I tried some black coffee this morning (I'm not a coffee person) but couldn't do it. :) Any tips for extra energy or caffeine? Or will the Whole30 in general take away that need for caffeine to not make me tired? 

I have been living off of roasted veggies. But I have been having to roast them daily because I wasn't sure how they would keep if I meal prepped ahead of time. Are there specific veggies that y'all find will keep better than others?? It would make my life easier if I could prep ahead of time. 

Archived