FEBRUARY 1, 2017 Start Date? JOIN THIS THREAD!!

samnkelli

Where is the best place to get compliant deli meat? I'd like to have some on hand for those days when I have morning duty or teacher detention and don't have time to pull together an elaborate packed lunch - I'd like to sub deli meat as the protein but I'm having trouble finding deli meat that doesn't contain off-plan ingredients! What's the best way to remedy that? If I get Boar's Head meat sliced at the Ingles deli, is that compliant?  Thanks in advance! 

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, Anna H said:

I survived a Super Bowl party with lots of great looking, non-compliant munchies. I took a tray of veggies and a tray of fruit kabobs, and there was a great pulled pork to eat. I tried 3 new recipes this weekend - scallops wrapped in prosciutto; Chicken Chowder (from Whole30 book); and Apple Cinnamon Hot Cereal (http://www.paleorunningmomma.com/apple-cinnamon-paleo-hot-cereal-whole30/). 

The one thing I'm having trouble with is the homemade mayo. I've tried the recipe in the Whole30 book twice and both were a huge fail! The 2nd time I was extra slow in adding the olive oil.  Any tips or successful recipes you've tried?

I found using avocado oil and more dry mustard and white balsamic vinegar instead of lemon make the mayo exceptional!  Try that!

22 hours ago, Anna H said:

The one thing I'm having trouble with is the homemade mayo. I've tried the recipe in the Whole30 book twice and both were a huge fail! The 2nd time I was extra slow in adding the olive oil.  Any tips or successful recipes you've tried?

They say in the book to make sure all the ingredients are room temp. Make sure you follow! I once wasted a lot of oil because the eggs were cold. 

I too love seeing what everyone is eating.  I made the butternut squash soup last night with roasted bn squash I had roasted on Sunday.  It was pretty quick and very good.  Added a grilled burger and some raw veggies. 

I THINK Boars Head is compliant.   I've read and reread the ingredients and THAT is what I've been buying for quite a while.  I'm sure the honey or maple glazed are out for the Whole 30 but they have a lot of other GREAT options!  I just had the ovenroasted turkey breast sliced about 1/4" thick for lunch with sliced red bell peppers, carrots, 1/2 avocado and some blueberries.  Quite satisfied! 

I made the pork carnitas on Sunday so all I have to do is roast my sweet potatoes tonight and I think I'll add some roasted asparagus.  I have been avoiding too many eggs...I make pork patties this morning from fresh ground pork from the meat counter...added salt & pepper and a little big of sage.  So good and I can reheat nicely for another breakfast or two.

I can't believe we are now one full week into this.  I LOVE this group and all the sharing.  I will tackle mayo tonight so appreciate your suggestions on the avocado oil...I have some and will try that!

2 hours ago, ygygold said:

They say in the book to make sure all the ingredients are room temp. Make sure you follow! I once wasted a lot of oil because the eggs were cold. 

FAIL PROOF MAYO --

http://thehealthyfoodie.com/fail-proof-home-made-paleo-mayo-whole30-compliant/

No need to wait for anything to come to room temp and all that business.....you must use a hand blender or immersion blender! Nothing else will work, no exceptions!

I've made my mayo using this method a million times without one fail. Just follow the directions and it is heavenly!

3 hours ago, samnkelli said:

FAIL PROOF MAYO --

http://thehealthyfoodie.com/fail-proof-home-made-paleo-mayo-whole30-compliant/

No need to wait for anything to come to room temp and all that business.....you must use a hand blender or immersion blender! Nothing else will work, no exceptions!

I've made my mayo using this method a million times without one fail. Just follow the directions and it is heavenly!

I made the mayo in whole 30 book tonight in my food processor with egg warmed in water b4 I started and lemon at room temp. I used the avacado oil that was suggested earlier..a little more dried mustard and slowly poured the oil in.  It came out perfect and really good.

Made pork carnitas over roasted sweet potato topped with the avacado sauce. Really good and very filling.

Well well well!! I just made butter chicken and it was excellent!! Served over a lovely pile of cauliflower rice. Boyfriend thought it was great and we both have leftovers for lunch tomorrow. The recipe included all sorts of lovely, fragrant spices including cardamon, coriander, fenugreek, garlic, and chilli power. It also included tomato paste, coconut milk, coconut oil, onion, ghee and of course chicken. If anyone wants the recipe let me know! I can share the link when my phone charges. 

I slept terribly last night. Other than that (and my avocado sickness) it has been going very well! I haven't been adding enough fats to my meals but working on that. I have been getting my fruit servings in which is great for me! 

:) 

I love looking at this forum, I really look forward to reading it! Today I noticed that my energy was very consistent and so was my hunger level. I had to tell myself it was time to eat instead of the usual pattern of eating when I get hungry.

About that MAYO. . . . on day 1 I made a batch from the W30 recipe and it was perfect. Yesterday I tried to make another batch and it was a huge fail! I wasted so much expensive oil! This morning I tried again and it wouldn't emulsify and I was so frustrated and knew it was ridiculous but I took it really personally. What was going on? Cheap blender? Cheap eggs? Too humid? Wrong temps? This afternoon I tried again and IT WORKED!! HURRAY! So for those out there struggling with the mayo, you're not alone! I think I will be buying one of those immersion blenders, thanks for the tip samnkelli! 

Also, I made the salmon cakes, roast sweet potatoes and artichokes with lemon herb mayo for dinner and my husband and I loved them!

Us Feb-1-starters are now in WEEK TWO!   I for one am excited!~   Though it does feel like I've been doing this WAY longer than a week.  I'm hoping it starts to feel a little more like "the norm" this week....and I can work out some kinks.   Onward!   

Thank you all for the support.....I'm the only one doing this at my house - and it's been easier than I thought it would be... I'm even able to serve my kids quesadillas without temptation - shocking!    I think knowing I have this group to check in with really helps....that I'm not alone in this!   

1 hour ago, Garts Girl said:

Oh my gosh that sounds awesome!!! Will you provide the recipe?? 

I too love this forum. Keeps me motivated. Thanks everyone!!! Hope all are doing well. Day three here we come!!

Not sure if you were commenting on a specific post but because you posted just after I did I will share mine :P 

https://sarahfragoso.com/better-butter-chicken/.

it is soooooooo good!!

OK, scrambled eggs for breakfast and omelette for lunch! On my way back from my 5:30 am 5K walk, I went to buy milk for the 16 yo for breakfast and bought a few other items needed while I was there. Spent extra for the organic free range eggs, and the bag containing the eggs fell out of the car when I opened the hatchback, breaking 9 of them! I was able to recover most of them since they nicely sat there in the crate, just with shattered shells. Since sonny boy does not eat eggs, (an allergy to raw eggs so he has developed an aversion to them even cooked), that leave me & hubby to eat them over today and tomorrow. So not cool way to start the day. 

BTW, will be eating at Panera tonight for dinner since I am taking a bunch of HS kids to a mock trial scrimmage out of town and that is the designated dinner stop. Any suggestions for what to eat that can keep me compliant?

Thanks!

TTFN

Just got on this forum, but I started my second round Feb. 1st.  My first round was over 3 years ago!  I'm excited to be back on the Whole30 and can't wait to see what this second time around has in store.  Day 8 for me today and for the first time since I started, I slept terrible last night!  I am guessing I am still detoxing..as I have had some stomach upset this past week as well.  How is the first week going for everyone else??

Happy Wednesday and day EIGHT!  Yeah on being in the second week.  I too didn't sleep very well last night but I drank quite a bit of hot tea yesterday as my throat was starting to feel like I am trying to come down with something.  Still a little iffy but definitely better. 

Kelsey did you use the recipe in the whole 30 book for the salmon cakes? Going to make them tonight.  Lunch today is grilled boneless chicken with avocado; bell pepper strips and some of my butternut squash soup.  Making sure I'm having my fats with my meals...and...getting that inclusion of the potatoes - or parsnips, etc really seems to keep me full.  I too and realizing it is time to eat - not looking for food two hours early!

Put on my jeans this morning expecting them to be tight and I swear they did feel looser than they have been.  Hope it isn't just wishful thinking!  Thanks for all the support from you all. 

Well... This girl fell off the wagon on day 7. And that's okay because I'm eager to do this successfully again next month and I know exactly why I failed.

I had REALLY poor eating habits before starting this. And this was really a drastic change in my diet. I was already starting to see changes in my skin and tastes as well as my belly getting smaller. But I was so tired, drained all the time. I know they say the first 2 weeks are the hardest. But I have a teething baby, and he can't have me being lazy and I can't deal with the headaches and him at the same time lol. He comes first; he needs me to be fully there. He is also my "Why" I started the Whole30, so I am determined to change! We also found out we're moving this month. Short notice but hey, that's life.

So now, we are modifying our eating habits, making healthier choices and will ease our way into a Whole30 next month. In the 7 days though, I have learned so much. I read your stories now and I'm so sad this time didn't work but I'm learning still. Good luck to you all!!

42 minutes ago, 4Donna said:

Kelsey did you use the recipe in the whole 30 book for the salmon cakes? Going to make them tonight.  Lunch today is grilled boneless chicken with avocado; bell pepper strips and some of my butternut squash soup.  Making sure I'm having my fats with my meals...and...getting that inclusion of the potatoes - or parsnips, etc really seems to keep me full.  I too and realizing it is time to eat - not looking for food two hours early!

Donna, I followed the recipe in the book and they came out great and made 9 cakes! Notice it says to drain the salmon before putting it in the bowl. . . . I missed that part initially. Enjoy!

20 minutes ago, Oakley710 said:

Well... This girl fell off the wagon on day 7. And that's okay because I'm eager to do this successfully again next month and I know exactly why I failed.

We are all rooting for you Oakley! Wishing you and your family the best with the teething baby and the move! Maybe a warm-up month where you are starting to cut sugars etc. will make it easier for you when you start the W30 again. Are you ready to commit to your next start date? You should stick with this forum if you need encouragement for gearing up to start over.

3 minutes ago, kelseysgotthis said:

We are all rooting for you Oakley! Wishing you and your family the best with the teething baby and the move! Maybe a warm-up month where you are starting to cut sugars etc. will make it easier for you when you start the W30 again. Are you ready to commit to your next start date? You should stick with this forum if you need encouragement for gearing up to start over.

Thank you!! This group is seriously awesome!! I hope I can find one similar for March as well. March is MY month, and I'm starting on the 1st!! Right now, we're working on balancing our meals, not snacking and as little sugar and grains as possible, but still have them occasionally. Those last 2 will be the hardest to give up and definitely calls for a transition period in our home.

Today has been the roughest day for me. Felt like I'd been run over by a truck this morning and, because I was administering a standardized test, I couldn't just get a sub and stay home. It was hard this morning to even think about putting together a lunch. I think that's what I miss the most about pre-Whole30 lol..."not feeling good today/running late today so I'll just buy pizza at school." Still sticking with it though and hoping I shake this crud ASAP. Love this forum for its encouragement.

Hang in there everyone -- those that are on Day 10 and those that are close behind!  Day 10 and 11 are the hardest days, according to the Whole 30 timeline:

This is where you really start to experience the psychological hold that your food habits have on you. You’ve put in a lot of effort to get to where you are right now, but you’re still waiting for the results you’re hoping to see. Your  brain tells you that you deserve some kind of reward (don’t you?) and, of course, we’ve been conditioned to think of food as the best reward out there. Right now, you’re craving that ice cream, beer, or whatever treat you think would make for just the right reward. But, instead of that treat, you’re standing face to face with the realization that you have 20 more days of deprivation ahead of you.

The key here is to redefine your idea of reward.  Think long and hard about the foods you’re grieving and ask yourself what need you’re expecting them to fulfill.  Are you feeling anxious and looking for reassurance?  Are you feeling sad, and looking for something to cheer you up? Are you worried you won’t successfully finish the program, and it’s easier to self-sabotage than fail? Remind yourself that food cannot fill that void for you—cannot make you feel truly accomplished, comforted, calm, happy, beautiful. Then, find another way to fill that need that does not involve those foods. Prepare yourselves for these days, knowing that all you have to do is see them through to the other side before things get much, much easier.

Don't quit...tiger blood is (hopefully) right around the corner!  If you have already fallen off the wagon but are still reading this board, I hope you try again!!

4 hours ago, Mom2210s said:

since I am taking a bunch of HS kids to a mock trial scrimmage out of town and that is the designated dinner stop. Any suggestions for what to eat that can keep me compliant?

Thanks!

TTFN

Mom2210s, search this forum for comments about compliant options at Panera. Or if the options are so limited at Panera, can you bring your own complaint dinner with you?  I know I've gotten their cobb salad before and used my own dressing and omitted the bacon (was not on W30 when I did this so did not check other ingredients). Just a suggestion!

All the recipes sound delish!! NanSea, the butter chicken sounds good but what on earth is fenugreek powder??

Feeling very headach-y today and not sure why -- I figured I was way past this stage. Our weather here has been nuts, changing from cold to warm every other day so not sure if that has anything to do with it. But it SUCKS. 

Talk to you all later!

Kelli

2 hours ago, Oakley710 said:

I had REALLY poor eating habits before starting this. And this was really a drastic change in my diet. I was already starting to see changes in my skin and tastes as well as my belly getting smaller. But I was so tired, drained all the time. I know they say the first 2 weeks are the hardest. But I have a teething baby, and he can't have me being lazy and I can't deal with the headaches and him at the same time lol. He comes first; he needs me to be fully there. He is also my "Why" I started the Whole30, so I am determined to change! We also found out we're moving this month. Short notice but hey, that's life.

So now, we are modifying our eating habits, making healthier choices and will ease our way into a Whole30 next month. In the 7 days though, I have learned so much. I read your stories now and I'm so sad this time didn't work but I'm learning still. Good luck to you all!!

Wow, yep, I couldn't imagine doing this with a baby....I'd probably be a wreck.  My kids are 4 & 7, and even so that feels like an excuse to not take this on..... life with little ones is almost always busy and stressful - to me anyway!   So - like you said- you learned so much through this and will take all that into the next go-round!  Good luck!  You got this! 

Archived