FEBRUARY 1, 2017 Start Date? JOIN THIS THREAD!!

samnkelli

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone.... Im in.  Im starting with a group at my holistic practitioners office.  i am also nervous but have been eating the Paleo way for a while.  There are differences though.  I am very curious, like some of you, to see how i feel during the whole 30 and then when the reintro starts to see what foods may possibly give me problems.  Goodluck to all of you!  

colleen

Hello!  I am ready to start 2/1/17!  I tried Whole 30 last year but was not serious enough and quit after 2 weeks.  I also like to drink wine and cocktails and tend to look forward to these as a stress relief so need support with restraining is welcome! I have gotten into a bad routine lately of eating "healthy" chips and a drink after work and then dinner.  I eat pretty healthy food but eat big portions and too many carbs!  I work Full Time in education and also in graduate school so need stuff I can make ahead and have for my week.  Mind over matter. 

I've been doing this mostly alone for almost 3 years.  Here's the best part about that.  We don't have to pull anyone else along with us. I've not had any family members join me either. 

Other peoples motivation waxes and wanes. Some fly over the chicken coop within days. If you want it, you will build it one meal at a time.  You want it, they may not.  That can be a letdown.

The forum is strong medicine. It will make you stronger, one day and one meal at a time. Even if you're out-standing in the field, all by yourself. Enjoy every day of your Whole 30 here together.

Wow, I havent checked in in a few days and this group has really grown! Yay!  So happy to see all of you and get to know you during the next month!!

Im starting on Monday, the 30th and it sounds like a few others are too. 

Here are a few tips that I've found really helped me make my way through the 30 days. They may help you too!

1. Read the book It Starts with Food if you haven't already. Written by Dallas and Melissa Hartwig, this explains how our bodies deal with sugar, grains, dairy, etc. and why stripping them out of diets can change our health! Of course, there is so much more to this book - so read it!
  2. Sign up for the Whole 30 daily emails -- they cost $14.95, you receive an email every morning for the next 30 days and they are full of tips and recipes and inspiration. And at the end of each day, you click either that you have had a compliant day (yeah!) or that you need to start over (boo!). These emails kept me in line as I knew I had to answer that question at the end of each day....
  3. Find your "Why". What is your reason for doing this? Your Why gives you clarity and purpose...think about your Why daily. Write it down. Put it on your mirror when you get ready in the morning. 
  4. Plan every meal and snack -- I know some people don't like to plan meals, maybe its time consuming (at first), but my mantra is "failing to plan is planning to fail" and it is so true. I do weekly menus, you do whatever works for you. I plan because I don't want to come home from work after a busy day and have to decide what to make. If its planned, you have the ingredient, you have the recipe, you cook, you eat, and you stay on track.  No plan and it is easier to fall back into old habits of grabbing something unhealthy because its convenient or scrambling to throw something together and it can be frustrating. Plan, plan, plan!
  5. Pick a weekend day and make batches of meals for the upcoming week. I do this on Sundays which means less time in the kitchen during the week. 
  6. Always have an emergency meal (or 5) in your freezer. As you may know, these next 30 days involve a lot of prep, cooking, chopping, cleaning, and more cooking. It's the truth. And there will be a night or a day when you are in no mood to do any of it. For those days, make sure you have an emergency meal on hand - I usually make a big batch of soup and freeze it. 
  7. Read your labels. And get to know the names of hidden sugars and off-limits ingredients. There is a section on this site that names them all. This is so important! Sugar is in just about everything and if you want to make it through the next 30 days successfully, you have to know everything you are putting in your mouth!
  8. Coffee drinkers, if the thought of drinking black coffee is not appealing, try putting 2 tablespoons of ghee or coconut oil in your coffee along with some almond milk (Califia Farms makes a tasty vanilla almond milk that is 100% compliant), a splash of cinnamon and put it in the blender for about 30 seconds. It is lovely. There is also a non-dairy creamer made of coconut milk and almond milk called Nutpods that is great -- sold on Amazon, whole 30 approved. The french vanilla flavor is sooo good!
  9. Ask questions!! The moderators on here are wonderful and quickly answer questions and keep us on the right path. If you aren't sure if something is compliant, ask. If you are struggling, ask for help.  We are all on this ride together!
  10.  Eat plantains. More on this later. 

Looking forward to hearing from you guys  -- are we ready? scared? nervous? 

Kelli

I think I'm ready!! I'm starting mine tomorrow (starting on a Monday just makes sense to me haha) and so I've cleaned out my pantry and am appalled at the number of crappy items that are getting donated to my mother! :) Can anyone give me some suggestions on some emergency meals like mentioned above? I'm a teacher and am often out late and I do NOT want to be tempted if I don't have anything at home. I'm planning and making my meal plan for this week today but I'd like to have some back-up options just in case! I'm super pumped and excited and glad that I have this forum to help!! We got this! 

Hello! I am so glad I found this thread! I am starting my first whole 30 and am SUPER nervous! I don't want to fail, and so badly want a better relationship with food. I think I've done the prep work, and have meals planned and ready. I have 3 kids under 6 and my husband to feed as well, although they aren't totally doing whole 30, planning is key! 

Today's prep: 

Boiled eggs for emergency meals (we have chickens so eggs play into our diets in a big way)

Mayo made - super easy if you have an immersion blender

Sweet potatoes and spaghetti squash roasted. 

Pederson Farms bacon par cooked, fat saved for sauteeing (found it at Wegmans)

Pork butt slow cooked for future meals - rendered the fat here too

1 lb butter made into ghee

Frittata and Protein salad made for breakfast and lunch the next two days, and veggies prepped for sides

Fingers Crossed! Start day tomorrow...

After a doctors appointment, this was the "prescription" my doctor gave to me. Some of the girls that I work with are FIRM Whole30 believers, but I am very nervous about it! I am a relatively picky eater and am doing this alone in the household, but have incredible work support. 

Any solid tips out there from Veteran Whole30-ers?

Hi everyone! 

I'm in too! Going to begin February 1st. I have been eating grain and sugar free for 3 years now and am ready to take it further and eliminate dairy and legumes.....at least for 30 days and see what happens.

Being grain and sugar free has been awesome. Glad to have the support of others and hope you all post frequently.

We're going to do this!

2 hours ago, Mischellemybelle said:

Today's prep: 

Boiled eggs for emergency meals (we have chickens so eggs play into our diets in a big way)

Mayo made - super easy if you have an immersion blender

Sweet potatoes and spaghetti squash roasted. 

Pederson Farms bacon par cooked, fat saved for sauteeing (found it at Wegmans)

Pork butt slow cooked for future meals - rendered the fat here too

1 lb butter made into ghee

Frittata and Protein salad made for breakfast and lunch the next two days, and veggies prepped for sides

Fingers Crossed! Start day tomorrow...

Awesome!!! Great way to start!!!

MICHELLE H: For emergency meals, I make soup -- Paleo Mexican Soup is a good one and it freezes well (recipe below). 

http://paleoleap.com/mexican-chicken-soup/

Have emergency snacks on hand too -- keep them in your purse, gym bag, an extra in the car. Lara Bars, RX bars, fruit/nuts andbeef jerky, almond butter with an apple are good options. But read your labels! Whole Foods has a lot of compliant items, like Primal Pacs (nuts/fruit/ jerky) and RX and Lara bars.  Review the W30 forums or google for info on which bars are compliant. 

Whether you are starting Monday or Wednesday, you are taking steps to make yourself healthier and stronger! Be excited and proud of yourself! Life changes are ahead! 

On 2017-01-19 at 8:59 AM, susanmly said:

I'm going to start on Feb. 1st also.    Been on a 6 month binge of bad food and I can tell!   First time on Whole 30,  so it should be interesting:)

I was on a 6months binge too! School started on September for me and I lost control :/ it's my second time doing whole30 but I'm as excited for the effects as much as you :) 

Archived