FEBRUARY 1, 2017 Start Date? JOIN THIS THREAD!!

samnkelli

Hey guys! I'm going to start now after reading this forum :) I was gonna go for a last "cheat meal" before I start the whole30 tomorrow, but I made the conscious decision not to after reading the first two chapters of "food freedom" by Melissa Hartwigg (good book so far :) ). 

What is your number one goal/motivation for the whole30 journey? 

me: "gain food freedom" 

Im going to put an end to the vicious eat -> guilt -> self loath -> Shame -> eat more like there's no tomorrow cycle! 

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I started this morning and after wincing/cringing at my hideous before pics ;) I am so in for this! My main goal (though weight loss would be nice) is to get my stomach/hormonal issues under control. I have wicked bad stomach cramps issues (some related to ovarian cysts) and I'm super hopeful this will help! I am SO glad to have this forum for support!! 

Have any of ya'll found good "alternate" drinks? I usually drink Coke but obviously can't now (and I've been trying to get away from Coke for awhile now) but I'm wondering if I'll get tired of just straight water all the time...what are ya'll doing for drinks? Sometimes I'll put those drops in drinks but I looked at the ones I have now (fruit punch) and they've got sugar!! :( Need some suggestions if anyone has come across anything! 

Hi everyone

I'm planning on starting my second W30 on 3rd Feb, so I'd love to chat with you along the way if that's ok?

I did my first w30 last September - I loved the way of eating, but I never got the energy boost I was hoping for, and still had some stomach issues. Struggled to get back on track after the first blow out weekend after finishing, and haven't had the energy or motivation to get back on board since. My boyfriend is a veggie, so although he's also trying to lose weight he won't be doing w30 (he's more of a calorie counting kinda guy), so I'm on my own. I'm really looking forward to getting started; we've just finished moving house and it's been pretty much a full month of ready meals, eating out and takeaways so looking forward to getting cooking and having a fully stocked fridge and kitchen!

I got one of the Well Fed cookbooks for Christmas and I love the idea of the weekly cook-up (she gives you a list of meals/sides/sauces to prep on the weekend so you've got a ready stocked fridge all week). I'm gonna give it a go this weekend and see how I get on. What is everyone else planning foodwise for the first week?

Looking forward to getting to know you all

K

x

3 hours ago, Michelle H said:

I started this morning and after wincing/cringing at my hideous before pics ;) I am so in for this! My main goal (though weight loss would be nice) is to get my stomach/hormonal issues under control. I have wicked bad stomach cramps issues (some related to ovarian cysts) and I'm super hopeful this will help! I am SO glad to have this forum for support!! 

Have any of ya'll found good "alternate" drinks? I usually drink Coke but obviously can't now (and I've been trying to get away from Coke for awhile now) but I'm wondering if I'll get tired of just straight water all the time...what are ya'll doing for drinks? Sometimes I'll put those drops in drinks but I looked at the ones I have now (fruit punch) and they've got sugar!! :( Need some suggestions if anyone has come across anything! 

Michelle, try LaCroix -- it is "essenced" carbonated water and W30 approved.  It comes in 15 flavors (I love Coconut) and I believe they come in 12 packs.  Check your local grocery stores as most sell it and Costco/Sams Club sells LaCroix too.  

:)

42 minutes ago, samnkelli said:

Michelle, try LaCroix -- it is "essenced" carbonated water and W30 approved.  It comes in 15 flavors (I love Coconut) and I believe they come in 12 packs.  Check your local grocery stores as most sell it and Costco/Sams Club sells LaCroix too.  

:)

Ooh I'm going to have to try this! I'm feeling discouraged after lunch today - my grilled chicken salad wasn't as good as I was expecting. I don't know if it was the dressing (Tessemae's Caesar) since I'm used to Thousand Island but I'm just a little disheartened. I know you live and learn though so I'm keeping on!

Starting Feb 1 also.  First timer here.  Had never heard of Whole30 until my daughter mentioned that she was going to try it for the first time.  Looking forward to a reset! Cleaned out the pantry yesterday.  Started going without a few things last week to try an easier transition.  I miss Diet Coke already.

17 hours ago, AmyEN said:

For any of you Midwesterners ... I just found sugar-free bacon at Hy-vee today...with the Whole 30 logo on it even!  

Yay!  I'm from Iowa.   We have 2 Hy-vee's in town, one is a huge one with a nice health food section:)

27 minutes ago, bananachic said:

Starting Feb 1 also.  First timer here.  Had never heard of Whole30 until my daughter mentioned that she was going to try it for the first time.  Looking forward to a reset! Cleaned out the pantry yesterday.  Started going without a few things last week to try an easier transition.  I miss Diet Coke already.

Hi bananachic,  what part of Iowa are you from?

3 hours ago, bananachic said:

I love cleaning out the pantry :) sometimes I'm surprised of all the food that ended up in there 

Hello everyone 

I've been reading this thread with interest and think I'm ready for another Whole 30+ 

In the past I have finished 3 and then..... Life and emotions I guess got in the way.

I've been reading loads and looking at different recipes.

It will be good to do this together.

Happy eating everyone :-)

Welcome to all the new people who have joined us -- some people in this group started today because the month of February only has 28 days and wanted to start on a Monday. Others are still starting on February 1st!   Either way, we have a nice group going and that makes me happy.  Glad you joined us!  

I came across this picture on Pinterest and burst out laughing. As you will soon find out, meal prep,chopping, slicing and cooking is a necessary part of W30. But don't let this be you! No chopping onions on the subway!

When you neglect to prep on Sunday and realize the next morning that it was a huge mistake. About that meal prep life! #Whole30 #Whole30Probs  Thank you @barefootprovisions for the meme!:

Hi all, hope I can join? I started today as well, it's Feb 1 in Australia. 

My 3rd round, but it's been a long time since the last one (over 2 years). I quit sugar 4 months ago, so hopefully the worst of the withdrawals will be behind me already!! 

I would love to hear how everyone goes!

Kerryn 

I want to give this another try.

Last summer I managed a "Whole 17" and in Jan 2017 I could only do a "Whole 10" before I went face-first into a McDonald's quarterpounder with fries.

I do think I'm getting better about getting my brain wrapped around the healthier foods though. I've NEVER been a cook so one of the most difficult parts is pre-planning and prepping everything. I'm so bad at having all the ingredients I need at once. This time I'm going to try re-using a few of the same simple recipes that I know I can make quickly (after work I'm starving and it's hard to face 45 min of cooking just to get dinner ready!)

I've gained even more weight since my first try though. I know I'm eating healthier overall but I'm getting very sad about the extra flesh hanging off of me. The Younger Me was always somewhat effortlessly thin, and I ran in races and rode my bike and hiked. Now, everything hurts and exercise just seems to make everything hurt more. And the cold, dark winter is getting to me (I want a walk out in the sun!)

I know we're not supposed to view the Whole30 as a weight loss diet, but I just don't know where else to turn since nothing else works, either.

15 hours ago, Tokyo00hanaco said:

Could you tell me what's in the package? I never heard of the brand but sounds American XD 

Lol! It is American. The TessaMae's starter pack came with... Mayo, BBQ Sauce, Ketchup, Zesty Ranch dressing/marinade, lemon garlic dressing/marinade, a pepper(?) dressing/marinade, balsamic vinaigrette (I think? :wacko:) And something else... There were 8 jars.

I went ahead and ordered online because I live in a super small town and didn't know if these would be available in my local grocery store. However... After doing my shopping last night, they surprisingly had a TON of Whole30 compliant food items lol. 

Hi all -- newb here :) Also starting Feb 1 -- I tried to find a Facebook group for Feb 1 start date but only found a small one that might just be a group of friends who actually know each other. Anyone interested in that?? I'm not a big fan of the tradition message board/forum like this one, but don't want to steal anyone's thunder who does prefer this. I might just make it later tonight and see who joins? 

Alternatively -- anyone interested in swapping numbers to make a little text/iMessage chain?

Just some ideas for anyone who isn't crazy about this format -- reply or message me if you're interested!

Hi Everyone! I would love to join you all for Whole 30 February. In fact I actually started yesterday since there is only 28 days this month. I am doing this with my mom and my friend Hannah and am really excited. Day 2 already feels like a hangover and it was really hard to get up this morning. Excited to do this with all of you!

Archived