FEBRUARY 1, 2017 Start Date? JOIN THIS THREAD!!

samnkelli

Well guess who is on day 61. I stayed compliant for the 60 days.  I have a lot more to learn but believe I need to start reintroduction phase.  I had bacon with a little processed sugar for my BIG splurge reintroduction.  I am going to take it slow.  I am going to a friends for dinner tonight.  Shrimp tacos.  Marjet did you try peanut butter again?  LadyLisbette glad to hear how the FODMAP is going and your husband.  I have always been an early morning exercise person I could never sleep if I exercised at night.  Glad to hear he made the switch and it works better for you also.  

I feel a little light headed but that could be from not sleeping well last night and probably not drinking enough water.   

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LadyLisbette and Liz's journey!   Looks like we are winding down in our posting of this February 1st group!  LL I am impressed that you went out for dinner and stuck to your guns even on an anniversary.  We have not gone out for dinner yet, only once in 60 days.  First time was in Florida while on vacation with a group of 8 friends.  It was hard, everything had non compliant additions and even though they offered gluten free, dairy and sugar was everywhere.  But I stuck with it as well.  scraping off the cheese on the lettuce and the sugary cranberries.  Such an old fashioned way of serving a salad. We are 65 days in and I believe that our way of eating definitely has changed now.  No desire for sugar.  Although I do love the frozen banana blended with cacao.  That will be my ice cream from now on.  

As far as exercise, I have to boost that up, we have a full gym here and there is no excuse to not go in there and at least do 30 minutes of something, rain or shine.  And my Goldendoodle Lucee keeps us active walking her.  Today is a rainy day.  So Liz and Lisbette you both inspire me to get off my butt and into the gym!  Thanks for all you have done for me Ladies!!!

Hi Ladies!

Congrats to both of you, and yay for all of us! Liz'sJourney, we knew you could do it. I'm with you preferring morning exercise, outdoors being my ultimate favorite. Congrats to both of you for your accomplishments! Extra endurance credits to you Marjet for only dining out once in 60 days...that's a lot cooking. Like you, I feel my way of eating has changed, and no desire for sugar...if nothing else, the psychological change is so incredibly life affirming, the self esteem boost, the feeling of being in control. 

In the category of people saying funny things....at my kabobs place, I was patient in recent weeks as the woman who took my order disapproved of me asking just for the kabobs, vegetables and salad, "but bread and hummus are good for you!" and she put it on my plate anyway. I wasn't offended, I gave it to my husband. On subsequent visits, her brother seemed to get it, and now she gets it, and when I go, they know my order, no fuss, no pita bread. = )

I guess I have two weeks left but sometimes it seems arbitrary to count the days since I think I'll be doing a casual W30 for the post-Easter foreseeable future except to re-intro the fodmaps, and when I'm traveling I'll make exceptions. 

I really wonder if that upset tummy was about the antibiotics having wreaked havoc on my gut flora worse than ever. I've been reading about how they can sometimes become intolerable, causing upset that wasn't experienced the last time they were needed. But there will be no way to know until I re-intro fodmaps, so I'm staying the course.

Last night I made steaks for us, and a big crunchy salad for myself. I felt so satisfied, and marveled at what a long, long way I've come. Many, many thanks for your support here - I'll hold the ground and still be here for you both (and who knows, our compatriots might stop in) as long as you feel like checking in! At some point I'll probably also be active in the forum for re-intro, and the one for athletes as we're planning a big 5 day back country backpacking trip in August. The training has begun, speaking of that, my hiking boots are waiting for me.

Sweet day!

Yum steak and crunchy salad.  The best combination.  A 5 day backpacking trip that is pretty big and exciting.  I am almost envious.  And oh yes antibiotics bring a lot of havoc in your system, surely that might affect how you felt at that time.  Maybe even do not need the fodmaps??

So, this morning I made oatmeal, supposedly gluten free.  I cooked it and added grated Appel and wild blueberries.  It was pretty good.  And I felt it stuck with me.  We had our walk with the dog and came back and had a boiled egg.  Then later, hubby came home from an errand and said he had jagged vision, I believe it is migraine and he thought it came from the oatmeal.  I did not have any issues, although I was tired this afternoon, but we had a yummy salad with some leftover shepperds pie (thanks to you LadyLisbette) And....drumroll...I went shopping for groceries and brought home fresh sushi from Whole Foods...Yum.  We just ate that and I am very full now, in fact I think I am growing..lol.  Tomorrow is a doctors apt for a blood test for my A1C and cholesterol.  Its all good!  

I'm happy for you that you have a Whole Foods near you, that must be fabulous! (Mine is an hour away). All that good prepared food! So glad to hear about the shepherd's pie! What's the next reintro?

I'm all topsy turvy in the belly...this is getting old...tomorrow I'm going to make smashed potatoes from the W30 cookbook. Have you guys made them? You boil the white potato (Yukon golds await me) til soft, remove and when cool, smash them with a glass jar, then brush with oil and roast til crispy around the edges....maybe sautéed I can't remember just now but I think starch would be good for me...

Wow some great post.  I am proud of both of you Marjet and LL.  I am interested about those mashed potatoes smashed and then baked??  Sounds good.  I put cheese into my diet yesterday.  Not a lot just a little at dinner.  I do like cheese.  I found my self over heating in the middle of the night.  I sure hope that was not the cheese. Today I stayed compliant except for one lifesaver candy that I sucked on for about 30 seconds and threw away.  Not because I felt guilty, I was fine, but because I felt no need to eat the whole thing.  

You will not hear from me until at least next Monday since I will be heading out remote and my internet is not the best out there.  Please know that you have become a great support for me and please keep on posting I will be back.  

I am going to be eating compliant out there like I did last time since it is easier than introducing with limited cooking places.  I am really trying to introduce one type at a time as the book suggest.  I think I am going to oatmeal and raisins when I get back.  Oh just realized I did buy some Lara Bars with peanut butter so guess I will be doing a reintroduction for peanut butter.  I wanted something out there for a snack in case I got hungry and wanted something different in the hotel room.     

LadyLisbette I am a big backpacker.  I have packed Whole30 compliant and also non-compliant (honestly staying compliant while packing is pretty hard), if you would like some food ideas please let me know.  I dehydrate all my food, make my own energy bars (which are definitely non-compliant) and do not buy any commercial made meals.  About 12 years ago I did a 10 day trip with all homemade food.  Usually when I go out it is for 3 to 4 days now.  (Getting older).  I have also made food for my FODMAP friend.  

Have a great week and I will check back upon my return.  

Hi there, and bon voyage Liz'sJourney...

The potato recipe is from the Whole30 Cookbook under, "Strip Steak with Crispy Salt-and-Vinegar Smashed Potatoes"...I haven't made it yet, but I have been enjoying simple mashed potatoes in the last two days. A blogger has published the recipe online, but I don't know if they have permission so I don't feel comfortable linking it here....you probably have the book! But yes, they're boiled first, smashed, and then baked. Potato, salt and vinegar sounds good, doesn't it?

I am excited to hear about your backpacking expertise, and will look forward to comparing notes with you! For now, I'm feeling so punk it's hard to imagine training and doing it, but I know I won't feel this way forever. The tummy troubles have continued. I've also had swollen, sensitive/burning lips, and a white coating on my tongue that scrapes off after a 5-10 minute coconut oil pull, which seems to point to candida die-off. This all started a few days after going low FODMAP, and at that time I cut out *all* starchy vegetables. My theory is that I had a rapid candida die-off, hence the lips and tongue showing that symptom. I was not walking around feeling like I had a candida problem, but I have been on the pill since my teens (to regulate) and I did have that 2/18 two week course of broad spectrum antibiotics, so I think that explains it. Meanwhile, I have to wait until my digestion normalizes to reintro anything whether W30 or high FODMAP....so I'm trying to be patient and lay low and let myself heal. Deep sigh! If it is candida did-off I'm hoping eating potatoes will slow it down, plus I know I need them, and I'm not sure why I stopped. Was I thinking I would lose more weight? Maybe...If it's not better next week I will go to my doctor, and probably also a functional medicine practitioner so they can run panels the regular doc probably won't?...it will be my first time with a naturopath. I don't think it's super serious or long term, but a part of the healing process. I'm trying not to think of it as *just* a part of the healing process because it is a valid and worthwhile process that is worthy of respect. It is a lot more than I had bargained for, but here I am, and I'm not sorry. The healing process is often not comfortable or fun...I know that stressing out about it won't help at all, so I've been in the garden a lot pulling weeds etc to calm myself down since a big sweaty hike doesn't sound like something I'm up for. Today was not bad, and no tummy upset.

Tomorrow I'm spending the weekend 4 hours away with my sister, and it's my first time leaving home since starting W30. I'll pack a cooler with a few things, and probably be counting on rotisserie chicken, and my home made vegetables, salad, and mayo.

If the cheese did give you that over heating in the middle of the night, was it worth it?

thanks, and wishing you all well = )

That potato recipe sounds great, is the Whole 30 Cookbook good?  Silly question maybe.  I have so many cookbooks, so I just wonder.  It has been 1.5 since day 60 and I have had a reaction to red wine, one night causing my lower back to ache terrible.  No reaction to a vodka martini, so I will enjoy that. Had peanut butter on Appel and it has become my afternoon snack now.  Beans in my tuscan salad no problem.  Yesterday I had a little bit of cheddar cheese, very old.  It was delicious, no reaction.  But I will take it easy with cheese as being Dutch originally it might become an obsession again.  In Holland we always had cheese and bread, always always.  I have not tried bread yet.  Did make pancakes with banana mashed and an egg and those were very good.  Yes I believe this 60 days has changed us for the better.

LadyLisbette, that candida problem sounds terrible, I hope you get help with that, I believe it can take a while to heal.

Liz I would love to hear more about your dehydrating...I have an excalibur.  Dehydrated kale yesterday to make chips.  It is really good!

See you later...

I love Holland. If I were ever to expatriate I think I could be happy in the Netherlands! Is that where you are from originally? Where? I've been to Amsterdam several times (IDFA, the best in the world!) and also Texel Island. As for bread and cheese, one day that will be a "worth it" thing for a treat. Yummmmm

I think I'm out of the woods. I've been eating a little bit of mashed potato once a day since Thursday or Friday, and I am feeling a lot better. I'm not planning to go to the doctor unless it should flare up again...but I think my gut is finally recovering from the antibiotic, and I have learned not to neglect a little bit of starch every day.

I'm very interested now in getting a dehydrator. I was reading up last night about the Excalibur. I'm concerned about cleaning it. Looks like it's best to not put anything fatty in there...I wonder how I can dehydrate my bison chili!  - please share any recipes and tips! I see there's a paleo backpacker out there with a great website...if I can manage a big backpacking trip and stay compliant with home made food, that would be so wonderful! Marjet and Liz'sJourney, please do share more. I want to remain fat-adapted and not rely on carbs. I don't ever want to go back to burning carbs for fuel.

I did ok at my sister's house last weekend...it was good to get away - my first time since Feb. 1. Easter Sunday is my day 60 and if my tummy is still ok then as it is now I will begin some high FODMAP re-intros for starters. I think coffee and coconut milk will be out of the question and I'm ok with that.

Yes I am from Holland I was born in the 'Vogelwijk" close to Kijkduin at the edge of The Hague  on the coast of the North Sea, just south of Scheveningen.  Used to go home often when my parents were still alive, but now it has been a while.  I have a lot of close cousins there, so another trip is in the future.  Just try to coordinate it between visiting children, grandchildren all across the continent and  the world.  So never a dull moment.  

This easter is a celebration with friends so that will be fun.  We are still pretty compliant.  Although I continue to struggle with too many nuts and rx bars. It seems like that Rx bar is my sweet crutch and I make myself think that it is guilt free.  We had a beautiful big salad tonight with grilled chicken breast.  It was quite filling.  And...I had a glass of wine, delicious.  We shall see the next few days, but both of us are optimistic and very happy with our new ways.  You will too.

I have an excalibur dehydrator and really love it.  You can order special sheets for the shelves that are very thin and pliable made for things that drip in addition to the sheets that are mesh.  Kale is really delicious done this way lightly sprayed with coconut oil and sprinkled with chili powder pepper and a touch of salt, then roasted for 10 hours. The chips are really addictive, we can't seem to make them last more then a day.    I also make sun-dried tomatoes in it, they are delicious as well.  And the list goes on.  I have never made jerky in it yet.  Will have to make them with cocoanimos and spices.  Thanks for the tip!

Always great to hear from you, Lady Lisbette!!

So glad it's going so well for you and your husband - how life affirming!! And gives me hope and encouragement. 

Can't wait to get a dehydrator and give it a whirl! Thanks to you, too, Marjet for the recipe ideas!

I continue to feel so much better...I will never cut out starchy vegetables again! That spell of candida die-off was very unsettling!

I'm looking forward to making an Easter recipe I saw on my IG W30 Recipes feed....for creamy chicken piccata with mashed potatoes and Brussels sprouts...and since it will be *my day 60* YAY! ...and since my belly has been feeling fine, I am going to enjoy those Brussels sprouts as a high FODMAP reintro. Woo hoo! I am cheekily feeling sure that my issue was possibly not high FODMAPs but that nasty antibiotic...of course I haven't scientifically proven that to myself yet, so we shall see. I know I shouldn't but I think I'm also going to make an Easter dessert for BOTH of us, a modest strawberry shortcake on individual servings of angel food cake...I'll whip up fresh cream for my husband, and I will skip that part since the angel food will have both refined sugar and refined wheat...my plan is to eat a few bites of mine and let the hubbie finish the cake part. I am wanting a treat, and so happy to be feeling better....then I will go back to W30 for a few days and resume the FODMAP reintros.

I've never tried an Rx Bar....now I'm curious. They must be delicious.

I'm feeling confident and not afraid of riding my own bike...glad you're still hanging out here, Marjet, nice to have the company! xo Happy Easter time to you!

I completed my 60 days!

NSVs include:

deeper sleep, brighter skin, improved self-respect, major breakthrough letting go of sugar, flatter belly, leaner appearance, clothes fitting better, fewer menstrual headaches, minimal gas, have let go of both my over-the-counter allergy meds, I'm happier, I'm more confident in my ability to age well, had no issue at home even though my spouse didn't join me, learned to adapt my cooking and many new wonderful recipes, confident that this is indeed a lifestyle change! I couldn't be happier. And I lost weight, too...knowing that I've done that in such a healthy way that feels so right is very rewarding.

When I started this program I had been feeling so clunky in my body and now I feel graceful again. 

There have been bumps in the road but I'm so grateful for them because I got past them, and have learned so much! The fact that I needed to take an antibiotic during this process, and having such a strong reaction, but getting through it makes it all the more worthwhile. I learned even more nutrition than I had bargained for, and it's all good.

Thanks for all of the support here, comrades! 

• 4 months later...

I am ba....ack...!  It is September and both of us decided it is time to start Whole 30 again.  Wondering if any of you on this page feel the same!.  Today is day 2 and it is a little harder.  This time I will reduce the potato intake as I believe that last time we ate too many potatoes and sweet potatoes.  Hopeful some of you will show up?

Hi Marjet! Recently I've been re-embracing W30 principles but not 100%....count me in, though, I'm still around!

I lost more weight recently on a big backpacking trip. I may have mentioned it way back when....I didn't keep W30 on it at all, but still the weight loss inspired me to tighten up my habits. Now that we're back, and my belly is flatter, I'm in the mood to re-visit all those good habits. Thanks for checking in, count me in.

Hey LadyLisbette, nice to see you are still "around".  You are doing so well.  We have done a week now.  Trying to be perfect is not always easy...  But...it already feels better.

Glad you are starting up too, it always feels better when there is a bond!

Archived