FEBRUARY 1, 2017 Start Date? JOIN THIS THREAD!!

samnkelli

14 minutes ago, Oakley710 said:

Same!! I scrambled eggs with peppers and onions and smushed up some avocado and choked it down. I only used a quarter of an avocado... Is that enough? I was so stuffed after breakfast but I don't feel like I ate near what the template is recommending...

The recommendation is 1/2 an avocado but if you cooked your eggs/peppers/onions in fat (ghee, coconut oil), I think you are pretty close to template. Here is the link to the suggested servings and I do think the fat you cook in does contribute and keep you satiated. 

http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, sjennings said:

I wasn't to sure the correct serving size for eggs 

A serving is the number of whole eggs you can hold in one hand, unless you've another protein source in your meal - most females can manage 3-4 eggs when eaten on their own. Don't panic if this sounds like a lot right now - your appetite will soon come around...!! ;)

2 minutes ago, sjennings said:

From what I read half is like the normal serving size! I don't think I could have ate a whole avocado! How many eggs did you use? I only ate one because I wasn't to sure the correct serving size for eggs 

There is a forum post on here I found the other day about eggs... If its your main source of protein, your serving size is as many as you can hold in your hand without dropping them... For me that was 4. :( So. Many. Eggs.

Something I forgot to ask in my earlier post. As a post bariatric survivor I have to take protein supplements daily. I simply can not eat enough protein without supplementing with a shake or bar. This is the main deviance I had during the first 30 day event. My preferred protein source is whey, and since I had such a strong response to the milk I drank, I want to completely avoid any non compliant foods. Since I only know of two types of protein supplements, whey and soy, I am not sure what to use for this program. I have to have the supplements or I will have low protein episodes, similar to low blood sugar episodes for diabetics. I carry a protein bar in my purse for emergencies and only needed to use it once in the month. So I would love to know if anyone knows of another source of high protein low carb supplement. What are we allowed to add to smoothies to boost the protein count? I use almond or coconut milk but there is not enough protein in either to carry the day. I need to supplement 30 grams of protein per day.

Thanks!

• Administrators
36 minutes ago, Oakley710 said:

There is a forum post on here I found the other day about eggs... If its your main source of protein, your serving size is as many as you can hold in your hand without dropping them... For me that was 4. :( So. Many. Eggs.

If you can't handle that many eggs, try combining the eggs with another cooked protein source. I always liked leftover roast beef sauteed with veggies and then topped with a couple eggs. 

33 minutes ago, jmcbn said:

A serving is the number of whole eggs you can hold in one hand, unless you've another protein source in your meal - most females can manage 3-4 eggs when eaten on their own. Don't panic if this sounds like a lot right now - your appetite will soon come around...!! ;)

Really? 3-4 eggs for a female? This is my second time doing the Whole30 and I didn't know it. 

Is this a minimum? I usually eat two at a time (with a salad), should I be eating more? (I'm a male, so I'm assuming it's more than 3-4). 

Mom2210s, I found this when I searched the W30 forums (click on Approved protein powder to read the whole thread)

http://paleoproproducts.com/paleo-protein-powder/  (plain naked flavor only, all others contain stevia)

Moderator at the time said it was ok.  

Also found a post that said there are compliant protein bars made of crickets....yeah, crickets. I've heard they are actually good so you might want to look into that. 

• Administrators
13 minutes ago, Mom2210s said:

Something I forgot to ask in my earlier post. As a post bariatric survivor I have to take protein supplements daily. I simply can not eat enough protein without supplementing with a shake or bar. This is the main deviance I had during the first 30 day event. My preferred protein source is whey, and since I had such a strong response to the milk I drank, I want to completely avoid any non compliant foods. Since I only know of two types of protein supplements, whey and soy, I am not sure what to use for this program. I have to have the supplements or I will have low protein episodes, similar to low blood sugar episodes for diabetics. I carry a protein bar in my purse for emergencies and only needed to use it once in the month. So I would love to know if anyone knows of another source of high protein low carb supplement. What are we allowed to add to smoothies to boost the protein count? I use almond or coconut milk but there is not enough protein in either to carry the day. I need to supplement 30 grams of protein per day.

Thanks!

See if you can find unflavoured egg white protein; it does exist. It's disgusting but it should do the trick.

WOW!  This is a HUGE group... So happy to be part of this. 

Today I am feeling pretty good.  So far, so good.  The only difference so far is no milk or sweetener in my coffee and I had sweet potatoe toast and almond butter with my eggs this morning (that was interesting).  

I have a lot of pain in my right shoulder right now and I am sure it is due to my job - sitting at a desk typing all day. I am hoping this goes away.

I also have alopecia which I developed around 5 months ago.  It is an auto-immune disease so I am REALLY hoping Whole30 helps.  

And my sleeping pattern has been horrible lately - menopause doesn't help!  Hot/cold - hot/cold - hot/cold ALL night!!  Ugh... its ridiculous.  

Anyway, I also joined DryFeb.ca and have committed to raising money for the Canadian Cancer Society while I work through Whole30!  Yay!  

So, here's to day 1!  Thank you... <3

Hope everyone's having a great first day! Black coffee wasn't too great this morning but I'm sure I'll get accustomed to it. Eggs for breakfast were nice. I usually have greek yogurt and blueberries so it was a nice change.

Lunch was a big salad with olive oil and vinegar and I just made a huge pot of very hearty vegetable beef soup for dinner. I've got some nuts and fruit around for snacking so I'm all set!

1 hour ago, ladyshanny said:

If you can't handle that many eggs, try combining the eggs with another cooked protein source. I always liked leftover roast beef sauteed with veggies and then topped with a couple eggs. 

There's a great recipe in NomNom Paleo for rosemary sausage that I really like. (though, I don't use the salt called for....that's my only compliant on the recipe...pretty salty)  and it makes sausage that is crumbly enough to mix with scrambled eggs.  very tasty. 

6 minutes ago, Remember Why You Started said:

HI Cathy,

I had black coffee this morning to, ugghh. But W30 is so worth it, have a great day.

I was the same when I tried black "instant" coffee. That all changed when I bought my K-Cup Brewer. Now I can't drink coffee with milk. Real coffee should be black. 

HI all- this will be my 3rd attempt at the Whole 30 (admittedly I really wasn't "all in" on the 2nd attempt).  With my first 2 attempts, I did really well for about 2 weeks, but the perfect storm of being a mom to 2 little kids (who never slept through a night) and a full-time job led me to give in.  Fortunately, my kids are a little older (and sleep just a little bit better) and I signed up for the daily emails to hold myself accountable.  I am also doing this on my own- my husband will be along for the ride on some of the meals I prepare, but he's not willing to go all in with me.  However, he is supportive which is appreciated.  Good luck to everyone and glad to be here.  

• Moderators
1 hour ago, ygygold said:

Really? 3-4 eggs for a female? This is my second time doing the Whole30 and I didn't know it. 

Is this a minimum? I usually eat two at a time (with a salad), should I be eating more? (I'm a male, so I'm assuming it's more than 3-4). 

Are you easily going 4-5 hours between meals? That's what you should be aiming for with your meals. If you are, maybe that is enough protein for you. If you're not, and you find yourself needing a snack after 2-3 hours, then try making your meals bigger. 

This thread talks about how many eggs to eat -- but I have to admit that I can hold four eggs, but never finish them if I actually cook all four, so I go with three, sometimes with a little bit of some other protein like sausage or leftovers. But, three eggs, a bunch of vegetables, and some fat easily holds me over for 4-5 hours.

10 minutes ago, ShannonM816 said:

Are you easily going 4-5 hours between meals? That's what you should be aiming for with your meals. If you are, maybe that is enough protein for you. If you're not, and you find yourself needing a snack after 2-3 hours, then try making your meals bigger. 

I'm on Day 3 and find myself getting very full a meal time but then 2-3 hours later I feel hungry again. Will this just change with time?

4 minutes ago, k9zoo said:

I'm on Day 3 and find myself getting very full a meal time but then 2-3 hours later I feel hungry again. Will this just change with time?

It could be that the composition of your meals might need tweaking, or it could be that you're adjusting to the change in diet - can you let us know what you've been eating?

1 hour ago, ygygold said:

I was the same when I tried black "instant" coffee. That all changed when I bought my K-Cup Brewer. Now I can't drink coffee with milk. Real coffee should be black. 

Are there good coffee K-cups you recommend? I can't find anything I like so I just wondered. :) 

34 minutes ago, Michelle H said:

Are there good coffee K-cups you recommend? I can't find anything I like so I just wondered. :) 

I bought the house blend from the BJ's brand. I also buy the Starbucks brand when they are on special. 

1 hour ago, Jen Dyer said:

Today is it!!  My first day of the Whole 30 Program ever!!  I'm nervous, but excited!!  I needed this forum.  Question....does anyone eat at Chipotle?  

I do eat at Chipotle, if Im in a pinch like when I forget my perfect W30 lunch at home!  The carnitas bowl with lettuce, guac and pico/salsa (not the one with corn) is compliant. I sometimes double the meat or the guac if Im really hungry.   If you want more lettuce, order it as the salad and they put lettuce under the meat as well as on top. No dressing. All other meats are cooked in rice bran oil EXCEPT the carnitas so they are your only option.  

Archived