FEBRUARY 1, 2017 Start Date? JOIN THIS THREAD!!

samnkelli

1 hour ago, Oakley710 said:

Hubby and I are in the same boat. At least for breakfast and lunch anyways. I feel like we are pretty veggie solid on dinners.

I do have a headache today. And I miiiight have cried in my chicken salad that I had for lunch. I'm not normally a breakfast eater. So since I've been eating breakfast, I haven't really been hungry for lunch. I'm trying to get myself to eat lunch and get on this schedule though. CURSE YOU HORMONES!! (Really it hasn't been that bad)

Yep hormones really affect my hunger- Whole 30 or not!  And this is my un-hungry time of month :-)...so maybe that's it.   I attempt to eat at least one big salad a day, so it's a start!    I'm a little nervous about the weekend!...when I'm typically a free-range grazer! ... I'll have to attempt to keep my three-meal weekday schedule.  

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, Michelle H said:

I SO agree about the prepping. I "thought" I prepped this past weekend but I wasn't nearly prepared enough. My pot roast didn't last as long as I thought it would so I found myself scrambling to prepare more meals. :) And I think I'm gonna have to change up my lunch menu for next week...4 days straight of chicken/veggies is getting old. So I plan to spend much of Saturday planning and shopping! I think that's the hardest part. 

I am wondering if stopping caffeine is making me more tired...usually I grab some coke if I'm tired but I obviously can't do that anymore. I tried some black coffee this morning (I'm not a coffee person) but couldn't do it. :) Any tips for extra energy or caffeine? Or will the Whole30 in general take away that need for caffeine to not make me tired? 

If you're tired up your fat intake - fat provides a good slow steady release of energy, and will clear any brain fog too. And don't forget to stay hydrated - a half an ounce of water per pound of body weight, daily, is the recommendation.

16 hours ago, sjennings said:

I have been living off of roasted veggies. But I have been having to roast them daily because I wasn't sure how they would keep if I meal prepped ahead of time. Are there specific veggies that y'all find will keep better than others?? It would make my life easier if I could prep ahead of time. 

I prep for the whole week on a Sunday and all my meals are still fine by Saturday. Usually 3-4 types of protein, a soup of some kind, and a couple of types of veg dishes, or I'll do a few different one pot meals in my slow cooker or instant pot. Batch cooking is definitely the way forward.

13 hours ago, CathyEarnshaw said:

Day 3 here for me and I'm ravenous today! I feel like I've eaten plenty but I'm still so hungry!

If you're hungry eat. It's likely your meals are too small, and if you've come from a background of food/calorie restriction your body is craving all those great nutrients... As your hormones rebalance so too will your appetite.

Hi everyone

Starting a little late but today is day one for me. Had scrambled eggs with onions, peppers and spinach for breakfast, and got some pork mince for my favourite sausage patties for later today. I'm starting off feeling pretty rough - I had intended to start yesterday but have been really wiped out with a bad cold for the last couple of days so didn't manage to buy food in advance,  plus I felt that I needed a hot cold and flu drink to get me to work yesterday. Not planning on going far from home this weekend so I'm hoping that staying hydrated and napping when I need to will be sufficient and that'll be past the worse by Monday morning! I'm looking forward to sharing this journey with you all! 

Well, day 3 was a little difficult but I made it through.

I wanted to tell you all, I have been grain and sugar free for 3 years now, so Whole 30 is just taking it a step further for me. # years ago, I read Wheat Belly and it really resonated with me and that's how I started this journey.

When I began I was morbidly obese. I suffered from depression. At age 60 I was diagnosed pre-diabetic, I had high blood pressure. I knew I had to do something or I would die.

Giving up grains and sugar was probably the hardest thing I've ever done . I actually cried in the beginning. I felt horrible in the beginning.....like I had the flu. ( I found out later that this is typical and actually called "the low carb flu")

...but I want you all who are on this journey to know that this was the best thing that I ever did! I lost 100 pounds! My blood pressure is now normal! My blood sugars are normal. My doctors cannot believe how my bloodwork has changed. Triglycerides are 50 (they want you to be 150 or less) HDL is high, LDL is low.

My energy is through the roof now! I feel better now.....in my senior years than I have ever felt before. Exercise is enjoyable to me now where it was always something I dreaded.

I now walk 5 miles every day in all kinds of weather......and I do it because I love it, not because I feel that I HAVE to.

I take yoga and zumba classes every day.

Nothing hurts me. I see others my age complaining of stiffness and joint pain.

I want to shout from the rooftops for everyone to just try doing this and see how you feel. It really is THAT incredible.

so now I want to get rid of the dairy. I believe that it is not good for me and I'm addicted to cheese!  Whole 30 seemed just the ticket for me!

Best wishes to you all. Please, please stick to this. It's only 30 days and if you feel anything like I felt after getting rid of grains and sugar you will want to continue eating this way and it will become easy. I promise!

Good morning, day 5.  We are feeling good.  A little stomach anxious, not nauseated really.  Today I am going to make the Korean short ribs from nompaleo.  And a spaghetti squash.  We are on a vacation for 3 weeks in our coach, so it will be interesting to see how this pans out.  I feel like I am dropping weight quickly.  Off to the store.... (btw I have stopped my regular glass of wine or 2 every evening, this is hard, as hubby still has his... but I tried the Kombochu last night and really enjoyed that!)

Wow! very inspiring, Cathy!!

I have to share that I had an amazing breakfast today... 2 perfectly poached eggs on sauteed spinach, resting on 2 slices of whole30 bacon. Side of 1 clementine and 1/2 avocado with black coffee. It was beautiful on the plate- and tasted wonderful. Black coffee still has alot to be desired, but ok. Missed my wine last night- but not as much as I thought I would. My hubby ordered pizza and wings for Friday dinner...I made salmon and sauteed peppers and mushrooms. (I actually like it better than pizza anyway!)

So probably my biggest fear is stepping on the scale 3/1 to find I've gained weight. I'm used to weighing in every other day or so, so I am taking a leap of faith here...

Has anyone found a compliant salsa? 

whole30 breakfast day 6.JPG

14 minutes ago, Marjet said:

Good morning, day 5.  We are feeling good.  A little stomach anxious, not nauseated really.  Today I am going to make the Korean short ribs from nompaleo.  And a spaghetti squash.  We are on a vacation for 3 weeks in our coach, so it will be interesting to see how this pans out.  I feel like I am dropping weight quickly.  Off to the store.... (btw I have stopped my regular glass of wine or 2 every evening, this is hard, as hubby still has his... but I tried the Kombochu last night and really enjoyed that!)

I also turned to kombucha for my "special" Friday night beverage.  And I slept WAY better than I ever did after my Friday night beer-or-two.

feels like i've spent more time in the kitchen in the last week then I did all last month!   I actually am feeling fine...like my regular self.   And I was a pretty good carb + sugar eater before....  So I'm actually nervous I'm doing something wrong.   (Reminds me of never having morning sickness when pregnant...also troubled me!).   Maybe it'll hit me like a ton of bricks one of these days...?

2 hours ago, AmyEN said:

feels like i've spent more time in the kitchen in the last week then I did all last month!   I actually am feeling fine...like my regular self.   And I was a pretty good carb + sugar eater before....  So I'm actually nervous I'm doing something wrong.   (Reminds me of never having morning sickness when pregnant...also troubled me!).   Maybe it'll hit me like a ton of bricks one of these days...?

I concur on the time spent in the kitchen. Making my own mayo, dressing and sauces is time consuming, however I remind myself that it is just this month that I have to(am choosing to) do it. I am hoping I learn that none of the eliminated foods impact me (LOL) so I don't HAVE to make any permanent changes. My husband, who is not doing Whole30 but eating my non-squash dinners, LOVED the Coconut Curry Sauce I made for the seared chicken breasts. He asked if I could make it every day. The recipes so far have been very tasty, which makes it worthwhile. Plus loving the leftovers.

I have been feeling good also. I guess we can just be grateful.:D

On 2/3/2017 at 2:34 PM, sjennings said:

I have been living off of roasted veggies. But I have been having to roast them daily because I wasn't sure how they would keep if I meal prepped ahead of time. Are there specific veggies that y'all find will keep better than others?? It would make my life easier if I could prep ahead of time. 

When you go to Whole30 recipes on Facebook there is a whole series of recipes that are delicious.  I made a cauliflower rice dish and did not cook the cauliflower which I think tastes fresher and it will keep for several days.  You can add lots of stuff to it to make it last.  Peppers cucumbers olives red onion and either add it to a bed of lettuce, we love it

For breakfast, I usually just have two boiled eggs and sometimes add a banana. I'm not a big breakfast eater. My stomach doesn't wake up too early and is pretty picky that time of day. For lunch, I'll have a salad with tuna and maybe a piece of fruit. Then dinner is chicken, baked potato and salad or green veggie.

10 minutes ago, k9zoo said:

For breakfast, I usually just have two boiled eggs and sometimes add a banana. I'm not a big breakfast eater. My stomach doesn't wake up too early and is pretty picky that time of day. For lunch, I'll have a salad with tuna and maybe a piece of fruit. Then dinner is chicken, baked potato and salad or green veggie.

I am thinking you might not be eating enough for the long haul, you might get really hungry and go off the program...

7 hours ago, AnnC said:

I have to share that I had an amazing breakfast today... 2 perfectly poached eggs on sauteed spinach, resting on 2 slices of whole30 bacon. Side of 1 clementine and 1/2 avocado with black coffee. It was beautiful on the plate- and tasted wonderful. Black coffee still has alot to be desired, but ok. Missed my wine last night- but not as much as I thought I would. My hubby ordered pizza and wings for Friday dinner...I made salmon and sauteed peppers and mushrooms. (I actually like it better than pizza anyway!)

So probably my biggest fear is stepping on the scale 3/1 to find I've gained weight. I'm used to weighing in every other day or so, so I am taking a leap of faith here...

This looks beautiful, we might have the same breakfast tomorrow!  And there is a salsa recipe on the nompaleo under the whole30 on Facebook, I made it and it is really good!  And lasts at least 3-4 days if you don't eat the whole bowl..

27 minutes ago, k9zoo said:

I was a huge Diet Coke drinker stopping at Sonic every morning for a Route 44. Now I'm substituting with unsweet tea. No caffeine headaches so far.

Sorry guys for the apparently random thoughts. I meant to be quoting and replying to another post. Whole30 AND forums are a learning process for me!

One of the things the newsletter suggests is having at least 3 meals that take 15 minutes or less for those days that you come home and don't want to cook, for whatever reason. I've only found one in my Whole30 book and I don't have the cookbook. Does anyone have some quick and tasty suggestions I can keep up my sleeve?

11 hours ago, AnnC said:

what kind and where did you find whole30 compliant bacon??

Archived