Where Did I Go Wrong?

I'm hoping someone out there can tell me where I went so wrong today because I was so hungry at 9:30pm I wound up eating (an apple, a hard boiled egg, a few bites of cabbage soup & cashews).  I have a few ideas but it would help to understand why.

I ate Meal 1 later then I intended (8:30am) and I needed to eat again before 12 so I had a smallish meal of 2 hard boiled eggs in a big bowl of spinach, peppers, cucumber, 1/2 avocado and arugula with a splash of EVOO.

Meal 2 (11:30am) was a large trout fillet with spinach, arugula, peppers, onion and EVOO.  And a handful of cashews. This also acted as my pre WO snack.

I went to the gym and lifted weights from 12:30-2pm.  

Meal 3 (5pm) I was going out at 6pm for the evening.  A bowl of cabbage soup and roughly a cup of roast chicken with broccoli and cashews.  I snacked on cashews while I was cooking so I probably had more then enough but I was genuinely hungry. I also had 2 small satsumas.

I got home at 9:30pm and was really hungry and my head hurt so I felt like I needed to eat but I didn't have any cooked meat or easy to snack on veg. I had an apple, a hard boiled egg and some cashews. I'm sure this was a bad choice :( 

If anyone could help explain why I went so wrong, I'd really appreciate it. Hopefully I can get back on track tomorrow!

Thanks,

LS 

I would say, your meals look pretty well composed. They may have been a bit on the small side hut not terribly so. You ate at 5pm and were hungry 4.5 hrs later, the reccomendation is to build meals that last 4-5 hours, so I don't think you went wrong here.....it just sounds like you need to tweak your portions a little. It also could've been just the timing issue too. If I ate dinner at 5, depending on how my day was, I most likely would need something at 9:30 if I was still up.

The spinach and arugula with meal 1 and 2 will chew down to almost nothing, so make your salads HUGE, or try adding some cooked/roasted veggies to that? I tend not to eat many salads any more because they have to be massive to fill me up and I just can't stand all the chewing. 

As kirkor said, make sure you're getting enough fat,  and you for sure could have added in a post work out snack which may have helped as well. 

Sometimes I just have hungry days.  The come out of the blue and all the sudden my normal food just doesn't cut it.  Generally I'm back to normal in a day or two.  As for why, I suspect hormones, but I don't know for sure.  When it does happen, I eat more and/or have a mini-meal.

When I eat a salad, I add extra more dense vegetables. Also make sure you are drinking enough water, dehydration can also give you a headache and fool you into thinking you are hungry, just something to think about. Hope you get things working better! :)

• Moderators

I don't think you did anything wrong, necessarily -- Whole30 is all about learning what works for you, and this plan didn't work very well for you on this day, so make some changes next time and see if it's any better.

If I were faced with the late breakfast/having to eat lunch at a certain time, I personally would probably opt for a full sized breakfast, and then adjust lunch if I wasn't hungry. I find that a lot of times if my breakfast is lacking, I feel hungry all day, no matter what I eat later. So maybe try that next time.

Everyone else made good points about other changes you could make. It's not unusual to be hungry 4 1/2 hours after a meal -- that's normal. Your combo of a hard boiled egg, apple, and cashews included protein, fat, and carbs, so it's really not a bad choice at all.

You're doing fine, just keep going.

There are ways you can lower your budget - buy the meat that's on sale. It doesn't have to be organic and pastured...like for me, if ShopRite's having a sale on conventionally raised chicken, I get skinless breasts because they'll have the least fat (which is what you want to avoid in conventionally raised animals). Some stores will have really good prices on giant pieces of meat, so I'll get that, cook it, and freeze any portions over what I can eat in a week (plus, that makes for a protein that's quick to cook in the microwave if I'm pressed for time). Shop the sale circulars. 

Archived