Toothpaste...

CelticRaven69

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone recommend a more natural toothpaste & mouthwash than the conventional Colgate, Crest, etc?

I know they are technically OK, I am done with my Whole30 and my dentist recommends I use Listerine Total Care every day, I didn't use it during my Whole30 but now that I'm done went back to it and it tastes disgusting. I don't like the fake sweetness from sucrose or the artificial colors/flavors.

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, sunnytropic said:

Can anyone recommend a more natural toothpaste & mouthwash than the conventional Colgate, Crest, etc?

I know they are technically OK, I am done with my Whole30 and my dentist recommends I use Listerine Total Care every day, I didn't use it during my Whole30 but now that I'm done went back to it and it tastes disgusting. I don't like the fake sweetness from sucrose or the artificial colors/flavors.

There are loads of them out on the market... I googled 'green toothpaste' and got this article of the 10 top choices... google is your friend

http://eluxemagazine.com/beauty/top-10-natural-toothpastes/

2 hours ago, sunnytropic said:

You could try tooth powder, it has even less ingredients than a paste.  Most pastes have some type of sweetener in them like xylitol, sorbitol, stevia, etc. but powders don't have any. They are inexpensive because a lot goes a long way but you do have to get the hang of using them without making a mess. I have used Eco-Dent.

I love talking teeth! I use one of the more popular "natural" toothpastes and find it does a fine job. I attended a lecture by a dentist and dental hygienist recently. They said that the sweetener you actually want to see in a toothpaste is xylitol. It does not break down like sugar and helps to neutralize mouth pH and prevent decay caused by acid. That and the way you actually brush your teeth - the way the bristles are directed at your gums, length of brushing time and changing your toothbrush MONTHLY will help keep those pearly whites. 

Thanks for the ideas @J9er and @kruddock ! I will check those out, I've done a fair share of googling but wanted to see what other Whole30'ers liked or didn't like about certain brands. I found that Listerine does have a "natural" option with no artificial colors or flavors; I also have a trip to Whole Foods this weekend so I'll spend some time in their tooth care aisle.

Archived