Feeling tired, interupted sleep, headache on Day 16!

I have been doing the Whole30 religiously and have not had many issues until last weekend, which is still bothering me today.  I had another crazy busy weekend which included an all day party for my mom's 70th and daughters 22nd birthdays, of which I prepared for this as much as possible, however I don't think I ate enough that day.  We ended up having lunch with appetizers and wine ( I had an Rx bar, fresh veggies, and La Croix) then for dinner was a Pizza restaurant, that I thought I could find something...ended up with a salad with little chunks of chicken and romaine lettuce ( I brought my own homemade compliant avocado ginger dressing).  Then that night after avoiding wine in the afternoon and beer at the Pizza joint, I had to work a fundraiser at a local tavern.  In order to avoid alcohol (which was a feat) I literally drank 8 or more glasses of water.  But, I really had not drank that much during the day.

I went to bed proud that I managed to make it to my halfway point and avoid all the temptations.  I unfortunately woke up feeling like the worse hangover I have EVER had.  I had muscle cramps that started in my feet, calves, and up to my thighs all night long and into the next day.  I think I woke up like 5 times, and then I finally got out of bed and had the worse headache of my life.  I normally do not get headaches.

So, the next day I decided to make sure I took my vitamins and eat a sweet potato.  Not too much help.  I slept terrible again last night, up every two hours, leg cramps are gone, but every once in a while in my toes.

Still have a headache today, brain is kind of foggy, and I am not hungry, but forcing myself to eat.  I did a ton of meal prepping last night and the food was delicious, so I don't understand.

I am five years post vertical sleeve gastrectomy and super close to my goal weight (I think because I have not been weighing) so I don't know if I am not absorbing the nutrients or what is going on.  But I certainly have not had that burst of energy that everyone talks about, just feeling very sluggish and foggy.

Thanks for your input in advance!

I've been having similar issues too, since the weekend.  And I have been very attentive to all the rules.  No slips or anything.  I feel like I can't get out of bed and have no energy, yet I toss and turn and can't sleep.  I did have some increased energy, but that seems to be gone.  I had a pretty busy weekend as well, and did have to also suffer through a sad excuse for a salad at a restaurant on Sunday.  But then I got a headache out of the blue on Sunday after dinner, and I've been dragging every since.  

I wondering if I am not eating enough fats?  I'm really good at getting in protein and veggies, but I sometimes struggle with how to get fat into my meals.  If its not enough fat at meals I am at a loss.  I'm not quitting, but I would love to feel some energy instead of wanting to nap all the time.

My Boyfriend and I are encountering the same thing. I did Whole30 back in August and did not have this problem. What we have noticed is that there's been a narly cold making its way through our friend group. I had my first set of full blown symptoms today and I suspect this could be the culprit for the grogginess. The other thing I'd like to add in here is be sure you are drinking enough water! It is easy to forget to keep yourself hydrated in the winter months. I've decided to start tracking my water like I was in August and I'm hoping that will help with the lack of energy and the headache. 

Can you guys post a couple days of meals (be as specific as you can)/sleep/water consumption/workouts?  How do your meals look when you compare them to the template?  http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

@Wolfie88RN Do you salt your food?  It's possible your electrolytes are out of whack.  (Electrolytes can include Potassium and Magnesium, as well as Sodium.)

@TechnoTribalGirl What fats are you adding to your meals right now?  What fats do you like?  (Olives, avocados, coconut?)

I thought I was going crazy. I have felt horrible the last few days...14-16. Insane migraines.  And hungry

Monday: coffee with homemade almond milk, 2 eggs in olive oil, green juice (fresh no fruit), barre 3 workout, 2 chicken apple sausage/2 cups spinach, 2 grilled pork chops  roasted  asparagus  64 oz or so of water through day

Tuesday: 2 eggs in olive oil, coffee with almond milk, barre 3 workout, green juice (fresh no fruit), big bowl of W30 sweet potato chili, grass fed beef stick, few almonds, another bowl of the chili  Water-prob 60-70 oz or so 

went to bed with headache  woke up Wed am with headache

• Moderators
5 hours ago, wbbs04 said:

I thought I was going crazy. I have felt horrible the last few days...14-16. Insane migraines.  And hungry

Monday: coffee with homemade almond milk, 2 eggs in olive oil, green juice (fresh no fruit), barre 3 workout, 2 chicken apple sausage/2 cups spinach, 2 grilled pork chops  roasted  asparagus  64 oz or so of water through day

Tuesday: 2 eggs in olive oil, coffee with almond milk, barre 3 workout, green juice (fresh no fruit), big bowl of W30 sweet potato chili, grass fed beef stick, few almonds, another bowl of the chili  Water-prob 60-70 oz or so 

went to bed with headache  woke up Wed am with headache

I think you need to eat more, Wbbs. You are missing a meal!

Your coffee and eggs are fine for a pre WO meal, and protein after your workout class is good, but then you get a full template Meal 1 as well, and then a full template Meal 2 and 3.

Please eat your veggies rather than drink them in green juice. The body processes liquid differently than food.

20 hours ago, slc_melissa said:

Can you guys post a couple days of meals (be as specific as you can)/sleep/water consumption/workouts?  How do your meals look when you compare them to the template?  http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

@Wolfie88RN Do you salt your food?  It's possible your electrolytes are out of whack.  (Electrolytes can include Potassium and Magnesium, as well as Sodium.)

@TechnoTribalGirl What fats are you adding to your meals right now?  What fats do you like?  (Olives, avocados, coconut?)

Sunday: 2 fried organic brown eggs with fresh spinach and avocado slices, blackberries, black coffee...Lunch/on the run, Epic bar and apple....Supper/was starving but couldn't eat much, half grass fed hamburger patty, broccoli, half small sweet potato...Snack/ V8 tomato juice small can...Fluids: drank about 64 ounces of water, but was afraid to drink too much because I think I overdid it at the bar the night before.  This was the day I woke up feeling like I had the worse hangover every with leg cramps.

Monday: Breakfast/2 Boiled organic brown eggs boiled, handful of cherry tomatoes, handful of blueberries, black coffee.....Lunch/leftover half grassfed hamburger patty, steamed broccoli, small sweet potato with coconut butter...Supper/W30 PFChangs Lettuce wrap imposters with coconut aminos on romaine, salad with homemade avocado dressing.... Snack/2 cutie tangerines and handful pecans... Fluid/only drank about 50 ounces water and one LaCroix. 

I do salt my food, however I have cut back a ton since starting W30.  I do not use any in my cooking any longer.  I cannot eat much at one setting because of my VSG bariatric surgery five years ago, so I do allow myself snacks or I would be starving.  I did take a vitamin B12 shot yesterday morning, because I still felt like crap.  Went to bed early last night and slept better.  I feel better today, minus a headache.  I probably am not eating enough total or not enough fats or drinking enough water???

43 minutes ago, Wolfie88RN said:

I probably am not eating enough total or not enough fats or drinking enough water???

It looks like very little food to me, but then given your surgery I can see your struggle. Can you make the snacks mini meals made up of at least two of the three food groups rather than juices, or fuit and/or nuts? Something like a hard boiled egg would be more satiating and better for your blood sugar, or a few meatballs with mayo maybe.

Water wise 64 ounces is fine if you weigh around 125 lbs - we recommend a half an ounce per pound of body weight, daily.

I'd also suggest you re-start salting your food. Switching to whole foods can result in up to a 75% drop in sodium levels and your body needs those electrolytes to be balanced in order to function effectively.

2 hours ago, jmcbn said:

It looks like very little food to me, but then given your surgery I can see your struggle. Can you make the snacks mini meals made up of at least two of the three food groups rather than juices, or fuit and/or nuts? Something like a hard boiled egg would be more satiating and better for your blood sugar, or a few meatballs with mayo maybe.

Water wise 64 ounces is fine if you weigh around 125 lbs - we recommend a half an ounce per pound of body weight, daily.

I'd also suggest you re-start salting your food. Switching to whole foods can result in up to a 75% drop in sodium levels and your body needs those electrolytes to be balanced in order to function effectively.

Thank you so much!  I will try this:)

On 17/1/2017 at 7:50 PM, slc_melissa said:

Hi, I am new to the community, and doing my first Whole30. I have been having more or less the same symptoms, I am on the 17th day. I am tired all the time, not having a lot of headaches, but the sleepiness and the lack of energy is a problem for me.

This is my menu: (b: Breakfast, L: lunch, D: dinner)

Monday:

B: 2 scrambled eggs. L: 2 homemade hamburgers with broccoli and potato salad with homemade compliant mayo. D: Chicken with tomato and avocado.

Tuesday:

B: 2 fried eggs (fried in olive oil). L: Ground turkey with smash pumpkin (made with coconut milk) and cauliflower. D: Ossobuco with palm hearts.

Wednesday:

B: 2 fried eggs (fried in olive oil). L: Pork with roasted zucchini, carrot, onion and cauliflower. D: Chicken soup with potatoes.

Thursday:

B: 2 fried eggs (fried in olive oil). L: Ground turkey with potatoes and carrot salad, with homemade compliant Mayo. D: spanish potato tortilla

Thank You.

19 minutes ago, anapardo said:

Breakfast

I think you'll find if you build your breakfast to meet the template you'll feel a WHOLE lot better (see what I did there?) :D

When eggs are your only source of protein in a meal a serving would be the number of whole eggs you can hold in one hand. Most females can manage 3-4, but you can always mix protein sources if you don't want to eat that many. Add to that that you're missing vegetables entirely, and are very low on the fat (much of the fat used for cooking stays in the pan) and it's no small wonder you're low on energy.

Breakfast sets the tone for the day, and if you skimp on that meal you end up playing catch up each day, and more so as the days progress.

Add some veggies (1-3 cups is the recommendation, but really we mean fill your plate), and a fat source such as bacon or avocado and you'll be good to go.

Hi!  Day 14 for me on my first Whole30.  I have had a terrible time falling asleep even after drinking "sleepytime tea" and last night I took melatonin.  Any reason for this?  Two weeks seems like a long adjustment period to me. If anyone has suggestions or advice, I would love to hear.  Otherwise, I am feeling better all around!  Thanks.

I'm wondering if something you ate while out had something you're especially sensitive to - if they used soybean oil to cook the chicken? Or maybe just not enough to eat combined with time of month? time of w30? oncoming illness? emotional hangover?

hang in there!

Archived