Northern Ladies Starting January 23rd

jolong

I'm very excited to be starting my 4th round of Whole 30 with some great friends this time!  Since starting my first round one year ago today, I have taken control of the food that I put into my body.  I have taken my exercise regimen to a new level and ran my first 10K 3 months ago.  I think that somehow cut off some oxygen to my brain, because I ended up signing up for a half marathon...so we will see how that ends up later this year!  I didn't hop on the bandwagon and start the Whole 30 on January 1st when everyone else did, but wanted to wait until the time was right for me.  I don't like to rush my reintroduction, so this will leave me plenty of time before going on vacation at the end of March.  Anyone else starting on January 23rd?

I am. I see you are friends but can I tag along? Its my first time. I'm having a variety of health issues and my husband is dealing with allergies and wants to lose weight, overcome some bad food psychology. We live in South Dakota right now and I'm having  trouble finding some compliant foods.... How is it in Wisco?

15 hours ago, jennaQtaylor said:

I am. I see you are friends but can I tag along? Its my first time. I'm having a variety of health issues and my husband is dealing with allergies and wants to lose weight, overcome some bad food psychology. We live in South Dakota right now and I'm having  trouble finding some compliant foods.... How is it in Wisco?

Welcome Jenna!  Absolutely!  I feel your pain about finding compliant foods!  When I did my first round a year ago I was jealous of all the items people would post about, but realized with a little extra work it is doable.  A couple of us live in a pretty rural community in rural Wisconsin, with one grocery store, a food coop, and a Walmart to shop for items.  I look forward to our journey together!

Well, jolong is my mother and she has be hounding me to do the Whole30 with her for a very long time. I figured that since I've convinced other people to do it based off of my mother's results/experiences that it's about time I give it a shot. I've been revamping my lifestyle and basically took out gluten and dairy and figured that the Whole30 wouldn't be too much harder after having done that. My boyfriend and I started a health initiative together and got fitbits and have been holding each other accountable. I'm excited to see the results from the Whol30 and the accountability from each other. Maybe we could do something daily to hold each other accountable on here? I find that my facebook workout groups really held me accountable to get my workout in by having to post a sweaty selfie every day. Maybe we could do something like that? Post a picture of meal or something and share a recipe maybe?

On Sunday I make chili in the crockpot to start my week off and then an egg bake to hold me through the week for breakfast. Both were delicious. And I managed to survive my first outing at a restaurant already. I had a tasty salad with a lemon/olive oil dressing they had.

I haven't had too many issues finding compliant foods. But I am in a bigger city where the grocery stores have large areas designated for organic and gluten free items. So it's a little easier for me to find what I'm looking for. I would say that most of my grocery shopping is fresh produce. This Whole30 will definitely have me in the kitchen more. I'm planning a lot of crockpot meals, that's for sure. I've attached my meal plan and some recipes here for your convenience. Note that some substitutions are necessary in some of recipes.

Whole30 CrockPot Recipes.docx

Whole30 Weekly Meal Planner.xlsx

@VictoriaChristine sorry to be nosy but I saw this tread and being from Wisconsin I was curious and I saw in your meal planner that you must be from the Fox Cities/Oshkosh area? I just moved from Appleton to Minneapolis last summer. 

As far as whole30 goes, Woodmans was a lifesaver. When I did my first W30 in Appleton, I saw people's suggestions about things to get at Whole Foods or Trader Joes and I always felt I was missing something. Now I have both of those stores within 5 mins but I wish I had a Woodmans! They have a great natural/organic section where you can get sausages without all the junk. I feel like we end up going to 2-3 different stores every Sunday because no store has everything we need for a good price. 

Best of luck on your W30 journey!

@Karen Twin-Cities, that's too funny that you mention that! I did ALL my shopping at Woodman's. I love that place, it's definitely a one stop shop and great prices. I moved here two years ago from Ashland, WI and it took forever to get the hang of where everything was in Woodman's. It has such a different set-up compared to what I am used to, then they rearranged everything on me! haha. I think I'm good now. Thanks, have a great week!

Well this weekend I made ghee out of the Kerrygold butter for the first time so I am excited to try that.  I also made the Pioneer Woman hamburger soup, and wow, was that a big batch!  That was my lunch today along with a spinach salad and it was quite tasty.  Breakfast was just an egg scramble with some potatoes and spinach.  I didn't have any meat to put in my scramble today so I used 3 eggs to be sure I had enough protein.  I didn't have any fruit this morning, but I did have a few grapes with my lunch today. 

Great idea about sharing recipes and such @VictoriaChristine!  Because of copywriting issues I think we need to be sure that we provide the link to a recipe rather than the actual recipe. 

You girls with all these stores available are so lucky!  Here in Northern Wisconsin we have the one grocery store and Wal-Mart!  We definitely need to put more time into the preparation of things.

Not too much longer and Day 1 will be over!!!!

Day 5!  25 days to go!  I dread when I have to travel during Whole 30, but I survived.  My meals were a little out of whack with my travels, but with the help of a couple of compliant snacks I made it through.  I snacking isn't recommended, but when I started my 3 1/2 hour drive at 4:30, I knew I was going to need a little something to get me through to dinner.  So I had a couple of boiled eggs, some olives, and almonds during my drive.  When I got to my hotel and settled in it was probably 8:30 before I had my salad delivered at the restaurant.  My salad was very sad looking...it was iceberg lettuce, with tomato, boiled egg, and grilled chicken breast.  I thought it looked super naked as they forgot my chicken breast!  WHAT????  So while she went to get my chicken breast I poured my own dressing over it and started to eat...blah.  When she finally brought the chicken breast I knew it wasn't going to be satisfying, so was just looking forward to getting this done so I could get back to my room and finish my meal with some carrots and salsa, more black olives, and then finish it off with a banana.  I ended up having a little snack of apple and almond butter after that.  I know it's more fruit than I should have had, but I knew my meals would be out of whack so just staying compliant is what I was focusing on.

The next morning I knew I would be good as I packed a frittata for breakfast.  When I went to eat it I realized I forgot my fork!  So I was eating my frittata with my steak knife!  lol  Oh well...it was quite delicious!  For lunch that day a taco bar was served for our meeting.  So I went out to my car and grabbed my cooler, opened my can of chicken and put that over the taco fixings.  I had my own salsa so I used that too...that worked out great!  I could have used a little bit more of a carb dense veggie, as I found I needed another snack for my drive home.  I managed to limit myself to a boiled egg and a mini larabar-cashew cookie.  I was very hesitant about the larabar as I've been seeing that they really can wake your sugar dragon, but this one I didn't think was too sweet at all...and it was a mini...just one!  I was home by 6:30, so I had plenty of leftovers there to make myself a scrumptious and satisfying dinner....food never tasted soooo good!  LOL  My husband was laughing at me as I was moaning with pleasure with almost every bite! 

The funny thing is, I was so focused on packing enough food that I forgot deodorant!!!

So those are my Whole 30 travel woes...just wanted to share!  I was registered for a conference next month that would have been from Days 25-27, but thankfully I was able to cancel that one!

I'm using Real Plans, and I love it! It's so much better to just make new recipes and do completely different foods than to modify foods I'm used to. Very happy with the food. Only missing snacks at night when I feel hungry, but since I happened to have an appointment with a nutritionist this past week, she helped me troubleshoot and work on the fat/protein/carb combos of my snacks (necessary for health reasons) and meals. Feeling all the stages in the "timeline" but very mildly. It's going pretty good!

Hi all!  Dont mean to be nosy either, but just wanted to say hello to my fellow Wisconsinites!!  I too am from the great cheese state and hope you all are doing well on the Whole30.   I started the same day as well, and I'm still truckin along! :P  I also miss Woodman's!  We dont have them down here in Iowa.  

Well, anyways, best of luck to you all!! Hope it goes well!

I am happy I found this thread! I started on January 23. I am feeling good about the decision to think more about what I am eating. I have been surprised that I like my coffee black (luckily I picked up a roast I really liked when I was home in Ohio earlier this month). I still need to work on getting some portable emergency snack foods. I have not needed any yet, but I know I will need it at some point. I also need to work on my food planning. I am thinking of trying the Real Plans.

Good for you @OHMaryF for starting this journey!  I think that is the hardest part!  What is the Real Plans you are talking about?  Is this a paid service that gives you meal plan ideas?

Last night we had our monthly book club meeting and we always have a dessert after our discussion.  With this being my 4th round I'm used to just declining and breaking out my apple with almond butter.  This was @donnamc2016's first time around though, but it appeared to go well!  We spent a lot of our after discussion discussion talking about the Whole 30 and the reason why we're doing it, since half of us were not indulging on the dessert.

Day 11...less than 20 days to go!  Woohoo!  It felt like I slept pretty good last night.  I'm used to waking up and looking at that clock almost every hour, but I felt pretty rested this morning.  I hope everyone else is doing well on their journey!

Archived