Type 1 Diabetes

I started the whole 30 yesterday with my family. I've been a diabetic for 24 years and takes shots multiple times a day.  I normally eat a vegetarian lifestyle because of taste. I use to be prone to seizures at night but they have stopped for a couple months now. I talked with my Endo prior to starting. We talked of lowering my Lantus and actually eating meat full time so I don't drop as often. I know that this has helped type one diabetics in the past with their sugars. Normally I would eat tabs when my sugar has fallen low during the day and peanut butter and juice in the evening. I know that juice is compliant but is there any thing else to use to get sugar up quick and...

Looking to hear stories (good or bad) about others that have taken the journey with whole 30? 

I have had Type 1 for almost 20 years and have been on pump therapy for about 19 of those years.  I'm on day 18 of my first Whole30 so I'm by no means an expert, but here's what I've learned.  For lows, I treat with 100% fruit juice.  Grape juice seems to have the most sugar per ounce.  I also try to keep protein steady throughout the day.  Some at every meal, along with any occasional snacking to include almond butter (on fruit) or cashews.  In the first week I experienced quite a few lows that were fairly drastic for me (40's) and made adjustments to my basal rate (would be equivalent to you adjusting your Lantus).  The second week I had fewer lows.  In the 3rd week I don't recall having any, so far.  Have you ever considered wearing a pump?  I wore a Minimed pump for 18 years and only recently switched to Omnipod.  The advantage is that if you know a low is coming, the basal rate of insulin can be turned down or off.  I also wear a Dexcom continuous glucose monitor, which allows me to better anticipate highs or lows.  

Thank you! I've been doing pretty much the same as you have and I was just given the idea of trying packs of dehydrated fruit to keep on hand along with the almond butter packs. I didn't know about grape juice so I'll have to try that in the future.

I use to wear a pump for eight years but had too many problems on multiple pumps that made me go into DKA. My sugars have been pretty good on shots other than dropping at night but I've seem to have figured that out, fingers crossed. As for the CGM, I have thought about it for wearing it at night. 

Since being in the whole 30 I haven't had any highs at all but it's only been a few days. My lows have been little so not much needed for correction. I'm not dropping to 40s in the middle of the night and then pigging out on whatever so I can get back to sleep and then wake up with 300 blood sugar. 

Thank you again! 

I've been Type 1 diabetic for 20 years and been doing Whole 30/Paleo for about two years.  My A1c has dropped from 6.8 to 5.8, and I feel much better (fewer lows, which leads to fewer highs).  With more stable blood sugars, I feel a lot (!) better.  I eat three meals a day and around 30 carbs at each meal.

I had a big problem with lows when I first started.  I carry packages of Juicy Juices with me at all times.  The small ones that have exactly 15 grams of carbs.  That is what they taught me in diabetes education - if you are low, have just 15 grams of sugar then retest in 15 minutes.  If you are still  under 70, have another fruit juice.  Otherwise, the 15 carbs should be all that you need.  (Note:  it seems like you already know all this ;)

I have an Omnipod as well, and it has helped me a lot in managing lows.  I have found with the new diet, I am prone to lows overnight, so my basal rate overnight is actually down to 0.25 (and I still just woke up with a low!).  Overall, my insulin needs have been cut nearly in half on paleo.

That's amazing to hear with the A1C! I do the same with juicy juice and have an individual packet of almond butter as well at all times. I'm an odd one when it comes to diabetes and my lows, since I've been on Whole 30, have been right before I go to bed so it's helping with the overnight lows and waking up perfect numbers. Tonight I'm trying to have more carbs at my dinner so that doesn't happen. 

Can I ask your age range? What was your overnight basal before? 

I find baby food pureed fruits perfect (they are much quciker to be absorbed than eating a whole apple).  One packet of pureed apples is 9.8gr carbs

which would be what I would take for the low. Maybe other fruits like mashed banana or pears would have a bit more carbs per packet. When I am at home there is always honey there in the jar so if I'm low I would have two small spoons of it. 

• Moderators

@spitzerphillips if you can find something compliant to treat your low blood sugar, great -- but if you can't, or if it somehow gets low enough that you need a definite, tried and true treatment, use your glucose tabs and don't worry about it. No, it's not compliant, but we don't want you passing out either, and in this case, it's more like taking a medication that you need, and Whole30 isn't going to tell someone not to take medication that they need.

17 hours ago, Herz51089 said:

What do you use in place of honey on whole 30? 

As Shannon said I don't worry about wether soemthing to treat the low is compliant or not. If it is -great, if it isn't that's good enough either. Last time I was at work, I mixed up insulin and took too much (being more insulin sensitive on Whole 30 made it even worse than normally it would). I ran out of dextro tabs, fruit packets and was still low so ate strawberry jam which except sugar didn't have any nasty ingredients in it. I wouldn't go as far as eating chocolate though :) At least I think so lol 

Maybe I'm just too much of a rule follower but I don't agree with these unless something extreme like that was to happen to me. I have never thought of glucose tabs as a medicine (if they can't be written off as medicine for diabetes camp). I don't agree with the honey being on the no added sugar as long as it's pure, raw honey but again on the list of rules. I see them as quick fixes for lows(which is kind of what they want you to avoid or at least that's what I read the program is about :-/). It takes just as much time to get a glass of juice or juice box or pull out a jar of baby food or dehydrated/dried fruit. You can do your things but just putting my thoughts on the matter. So sorry for being a strict rule follower :-(

Google Whole 30 Type 1 Diabetes.  You'll find many threads.

One of the best is written by Travel Photo Writer.  It made a big impact on me 3 years ago. 

TravelPhotoWriter on 16 June 2014 - 07:48 PM

I'm a Type 1 Diabetic for 31 years. For EVERYONE, bread/starches, lactose (dairy sugars), white potatoes, corn, etc increases blood sugar. The only items that keep my glucose even-keeled are Proteins (meat), low-starch veggies (the ones approved on W30), healthy fats, and sparing low-sugar fruits (like berries, NOT like mangos or bananas).  No amount of avoiding these items temporarily will have them break down any differently when they are consumed.  If you want great #s to continue, your great habits need to continue.

Personally, I "triage" things that up my glucose. Example: mashed potatoes are absolutely NOT worth it to me, so I don't eat them, EVER.

The book It Starts With Food (a.k.a. ISWF) goes into some pretty eye-opening description of what dairy does to blood sugar! Yikes, I didn't know when I was slamming quarts of it the years before my diagnosis....

No amount of avoiding these items temporarily will have them break down any differently when they are consumed.  If you want great #s to continue, your great habits need to continue.

More.... from TravelPhotoWriter

As a Type 1 diabetic (31 years) who is more healthy by all tests than most every "normal" person I know, I am a living test-case of any argument about impact on blood sugar, as I completely regulate my blood sugar manually So I'm just giving input into your pondering from the point of view of rise/fall of blood sugar... White sugar, brown sugar, coconut sugar, maple syrup & honey, raw or not, all create a quick spike in glucose, nothing "slow" or "low" carb about any of them.  Agave actually is much less of a spike than the others listed; I absolutely need less insulin to process agave than the others I listed.

It seems to me too that you got a bit "spanked," but I'm sure it's meant well. EVERYONE ANYWHERE is merely expressing an opinion based on what is working for them at this time in their life and what keeps them between the rails they set for themselves; just think - all vegans feel very, very sad for all "mislead" Paleos! (Kinda gets to be like religions clashing, eh? ;) ) But none of us are YOU. My understanding & DEEPEST POINT OF RESPECT for the actual founders of W30 is that ultimately they suggest, once "clean", be your own experiment to find out what works for YOU & what doesn't.  

I personally like black coffee..

ENJOY YOUR JOURNEY!! I'm loving mine!

I already put the link up there, all they have to do is click on it. 

They would have to read through every post of TravelPhotoWriter and I just happen to remember where they are. So I put the best in one place because not too many people think about or travel back to 2012. :D 

Thank you for the information! I will definitely take a look there but helps that you picked some out related. I'm not doing this to lower the blood sugar but to figure out what works with my body and doesn't in general. I may try later seeing what effects the blood sugar more and what doesn't. I looked at other posts before creating mine about diabetes but the same thing kept happening with the saying that glucose tabs are medicine and nothing really about how to treat lows that would be compliant other than juice, that was suggestion by my Practitioner. I see a Nutrional healer also and she wanted me to try this only because cutting one thing out at a time wasn't working for me and I'm glad I'm doing this because I'm curious to see how foods effect my life from stress to energy to the psychology we have put on food. I love glucose tabs and had that in every coat car and cabinet at work. They were my go to. Taking it all out and creating packets of juice, almond butter, Lara bar and dehydrated fruit was what I did and when I started a week ago it was only juice in the packet. And if I was to run really low there is still glucagon always on me. I'm wasn't saying to quit the honey just thought maybe they did something else on the whole 30. Again, rule follower and didn't leave room for exceptions. They're having a information session and question and answer at my office and will ask on Wednesday night more specifics. 

2 hours ago, Herz51089 said:

Maybe I'm just too much of a rule follower but I don't agree with these unless something extreme like that was to happen to me. I have never thought of glucose tabs as a medicine (if they can't be written off as medicine for diabetes camp). I don't agree with the honey being on the no added sugar as long as it's pure, raw honey but again on the list of rules. I see them as quick fixes for lows(which is kind of what they want you to avoid or at least that's what I read the program is about :-/). It takes just as much time to get a glass of juice or juice box or pull out a jar of baby food or dehydrated/dried fruit. You can do your things but just putting my thoughts on the matter. So sorry for being a strict rule follower :-(

I actually agree with all what you have said. I follow very low carb Whole 30 (something what mods will probably immediately oppose to..). Generally I try to stick to the rules of looking after sugars according to the guidelines of dr R. Bernstein. So the treatment of the lows is according to the rule that 1gr of carbohydrate raises your blood sugar by 5mg/% (American scale). It's hard to predict exactly how much sugar is in fruits so therefore I sometimes prefer glucose tablets. 

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, Hutlifr said:

can you please tell us how to link to a specific page and quote ? Thanks!

You can link to a whole thread by copying the address from your browser's address bar -- if you're on the second or later page of the thread, if you look at the address bar, you'll see that it'll say at the very end of the address, ?page=2  (or whatever page # instead of 2) -- if you paste that address with the page number, when someone clicks, it'll take them to that particular page -- so here's page three of your Swiss Whole30 log:

On any particular post within a thread, if you look to the right, there's a little share button -- sort of like a < with dots at all three ends, if you hover over it, it'll say Share This Post. Click on the share button, and the link to that particular post will be in the box that pops up, just copy that and paste it into your message -- so here's a random post from that page: http://forum.whole30.com/topic/23575-swiss-whole30/?do=findComment&comment=251423

If you paste a link, the default seems to be for it to show up the way that first one did, in a box where you get a preview. To get it to show up the way the second one did, I got a little thing down at the bottom of the reply window that asks if I want to display as a link instead, and I chose yes. This may depend on your browser, though -- I'm using Firefox, if you use Chrome or Internet Explorer or whatever they're calling it now, this part may be a little different.

If you want to make it fancy and make a particular word or phrase link to it, type the word or phrase, highlight it, click on the link button above (looks like a link in a chain, next to the quote button), you'll get a popup -- paste the link into the URL box, and check that the stuff you highlighted is in the bottom box. Then you'll get a work that works like a link, like so. (This for me is sometimes weird, and if I try to type right next to the link, it'll make everything I add part of the link. I don't know why, this may also be a browser thing.)

3 hours ago, karo1500 said:

I actually agree with all what you have said. I follow very low carb Whole 30 (something what mods will probably immediately oppose to..). Generally I try to stick to the rules of looking after sugars according to the guidelines of dr R. Bernstein. So the treatment of the lows is according to the rule that 1gr of carbohydrate raises your blood sugar by 5mg/% (American scale). It's hard to predict exactly how much sugar is in fruits so therefore I sometimes prefer glucose tablets. 

I definitely prefer glucose tabs over anything else as well and 90% sure I'll go back to keeping them in all my low packs after I finish my whole30. 

On 1/21/2017 at 11:49 AM, Herz51089 said:

That's amazing to hear with the A1C! I do the same with juicy juice and have an individual packet of almond butter as well at all times. I'm an odd one when it comes to diabetes and my lows, since I've been on Whole 30, have been right before I go to bed so it's helping with the overnight lows and waking up perfect numbers. Tonight I'm trying to have more carbs at my dinner so that doesn't happen. 

Can I ask your age range? What was your overnight basal before? 

I'm 38.  My overnight basal was around .5 - .55 before I started the Whole 30.  I didn't do the Whole 30 to lower my blood sugar either.  I just wanted to feel better (stomach issues).  But it has not only helped with stomach issues, it has really helped my blood sugars, not just making them lower but also more stable (I used to bounce between 30 and 250 like all the time).  Studies show diabetic complications begin with blood sugars over 140, and now even my post-meal blood sugars are usually under 140.  It is crazy when so-called nutritionists say this diet is bad for diabetics.  It's the best thing I've done for my health.

Herz, I have had type 1 diabetes for 30 years. I began whole 30 in April for the first time. My sugar levels were awesome and I had the lowest A1C I ever had afterward. To help combat low blood sugars, which can occur often on whole 30, I tried to eat a small portion of fruit with each meal, usually an apple, orange, grapes or berries. This seemed to help me maintain a level in the 100-120 range. I would usually give a small bolus with my pump. Its basically trial and error with how your body responds to Whole 30. When I was low outside of meals, I always had fruit or a cashew cookie larabar. Although compliant, They say to not eat larabars to often, so I would throw one in every so often when I was sick of fruit. 

Also if you are doing this to lose a pounds, I ate fruit with just about every meal and still lost 15 pounds in the first 30 days and another 15 over the course of the next 6 months. So a lot of people will tell you to limit fruit, but as a diabetic, I found I was getting low too often not to have it with most meals. I did not not drink juice though, even when I was low.

I started my second Whole 30 on January 1st and have been following same plan.

Hope this helps and good luck.

• 1 year later...

Hey I am on day 28 of my first round. I just joined this forum to look for shared experiences from type one diabetics.  Great to read about all the results above, I have been having coconut water / medjool dates / carrot juice when I have lows (I have been type 1 for 40 years, since I was two)    Program is going well in most respects but I seem to be putting on weight! I haven’t weighed myself but my clothes are tighter -argh!  I’m just wondering if this is because my blood sugars are much better, which means my body is using every calorie rather than flushing out some excess sugar via the bladde when blood sugar levels are too high. It’s encouraging to read that  some of the people in this thread lost weight, I wonder if there something I need to do differently as Im not keeen to carry on with this way of eating if I end up significantly heavier. Any thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived