Health Food Stores vs Whole Foods

Tracy R.

I see posts in which people talk about doing their shopping at health food stores and whole foods. What exactly is a "health food store"? I feel so silly asking, but I'm wondering if I'm missing out on good deals. I thought WF was a health food store. In the Atlanta area, could somebody give me examples (names of) health food stores?

There was a Natural Foods Market near me in East Cobb for many years, but it closed. Life Grocery is on Roswell Rd (n Marietta (not Sandy Springs).

I am no expert but to me the "health food stores" seem to carry organic produce, perhaps have a juice bar where you can get things like wheat grass juice (takes a super powerful machine to make it yourself), lots of gluten free, vegetarian, vegan and specialty items. They had raw food meals and sides for sale that were made by Sprout Cafe. Natural Foods had a lot of bulk items for sale too. There were a ton of supplements and someone to help you with holistic healing recommendations and there were all kinds of "health" books for sale. Everything was expensive.

Whole Foods has a lot of the same items, and at just a high price as any health food store I have visited. Because so many grocery stores cater to so many dietary restrictions now, and a lot can get ordered online through Amazon or other sites like Netrition, I am not sure what a health food store might offer someone eating a primarily Paleo diet that couldn't be found elsewhere. I think health food stores had a unique offering before farmers markets and CSAs and the internet retailers became so prevalent.

Just my two cents...

These are 2 health food stores in GA:

http://www.goodnutritionweb.com/retailer/store_templates/shell_id_1.asp?storeID=546B2083F9FC4699AA2B928971E7EDCB

http://www.lifegrocery.com/retailer/store_templates/shell_id_1.asp?storeID=FCURUEAS61S92NM700AKHLBD3C4A30TE

I like Good Nutrition for certain beauty products, kombucha and random pantry items. They don't have any produce and half the store is supplements, but it is way more convenient for me to grab some kombucha there since it is down the street from my work. They do have things like coconut oil, aminos, different spices and teas, etc.

There is a Good Nutrition store in Suwanee, which isn't far from me. I'm going to check that out. After I posted here, I posted on my local mommy board asking about a store I found in Johns Creek. Natural Foods Warehouse http://naturalfoodswarehouse.com/ They have several around the Atlanta area. This is what was said about it...

It is awesome! It is like the "Aldi" of Whole Foods. They often have groupon deals. Lots of organic, gluten free, vegan and natural foods. They do not carry fresh meat, fruit/veggies or have a deli counter. They are mostly bagged and canned foods. They have a frozen food section and a dairy/egg section. They even carry vitamins and natural shampoo, house cleaner etc.
they used to be cheaper, but I have found that I can get most of that same stuff at Kroger on sale for the same price.

so two different reviews. I'm going to look into it.

Archived