Bec's whole30 base for life

Ra_k_

So today 22nd October 2012 marks the start of my second whole 30. YAY!!!

I completed my first one in July, starting 1st July. I wrote about my adventures in a log you can find it here- http://forum.whole9l...y-through-july/

Much of my reasoning behind doing a second whole30 is the same. After myt first one, i felt amazing. I had sooo much more energy. I loved the person staring back at me in the mirror.

I then went on a 6 week tour of Europe, where my food choices were not always in my control, as some meals were catered. And i caved in to some sugar here and there :o So i've come back feeling bloated, lathargic, and bascially not feeling as great as i know i can.

I did start a sugar free diet, as soon as i landed in Australia, and have been eating paleo since. I have been tossing up doing another whole30 when a friend came to me to ask some advice on how to eat paleo, and healthier. I send her all the links to the whole30, and after raving about it to her, i decided to join in the journey with her.

So here i am, starting my whole30 for October/November, i will finish on my birthday 20th November B) After my 30 days is up, i'm moving onto a further 54 days, to complete a 12 week transformation. I am entering an online body transformation competition, and i am using the whole30 to get a good base, so i am mentally prepared for the rest of the 12 weeks.

I will try and get my friend onto the forums too, as i know this the best place to get support......

So todays food is :

• breakfast- chicken, green vegies (broccoli, zucchini, basil, chives), cauliflower, sauerkraut, coconut oil, cup of pepermint tea.
  • lunch- chicken, green vegies (broccoli, zucchini, basil, chives), cauliflower, sauerkraut, coconut oil, vitamin and minerals drink.
  • dinner- turkey meat with green vegies (boky choy, leek, basil, chives, kale, zucchini), onion, coconut oil.
  • snacks- bone broth
  • PWO- egg whiles, tahini, cinnamon, sweet potato

I am using this whole30 to remove reliance on fruit and nuts. In my last whole30 i relied on them a little too much, and ended up over eating on them. I have since discovered that nuts do play up with my tummy. So removal of them will work in my favour a lot more.

So i know the whole30 is not about weightloss or anything like that, but for my 12week transformation i have taken measurements, and have taken photos. I will only be revisiting this at the end of the 30 days. As this first 30 days is more about getting my head in the ball game, and preparing mentally.

LETS DO THIS :D

Day 2 another one bites the dust........

So this time round i don't have the sugar withdrawals, as i was sugar free prior to starting the whole 30. I'm feeling a little cranky today though, not sure what that is about. But after an hour of cardio this morning i was feeling much better. Cardio saves the day.

Food will be much the same as yesterday:

• breakfast- chicken, green vegies (broccoli, zucchini, basil, chives), cauliflower, sauerkraut, coconut oil, cup of pepermint tea.
  • lunch- chicken, green vegies (broccoli, zucchini, basil, chives), cauliflower, sauerkraut, coconut oil, vitamin and minerals drink.
  • dinner-white fish with green vegies (boky choy, leek, basil, chives, kale, zucchini), onion, coconut oil.
  • snacks- bone broth- turkey meat

Day 3, YAY!!!!

Today is a good day. I'm feeling lighter, and i can start to feel my sleep improving. As i was sugar free prior to starting whole30 i don't have any nauseous or headache, like i did the first time. Which is awesome. I am kinda tired though, which i'm sure is part of my body realigning.

Due to my schedule i'm not getting quite 8 hours of sleep. I'm getting anywhere from 6.30-7.30 hours of sleep, which isn't optimal, but i'm doing ok from it. maybe as time progresses i'll start to adjust my schedule to allow for more sleep.

Food is much the same as previous days, as i'm a creature of habit, and cook the same things all the time, i usually eat consistanly the same all week. And i love my food choices.

• dinner-turkey meat with green vegies (boky choy, leek, basil, chives, kale), onion, coconut oil.
  • snacks- bone broth

I have sent the link of my log to my friend, and i hope she jumps on and has a look. Its her day2, and i'm sure she'll doing well. Which reminds me i should check in with her.

Day 5...... YIPeeeeee!!!!

Feeling good today, not as light as yesterday. BUT i have done something massive today, thats hopefully going to work in my favour. I put the scales in the cupboard and i am not going to look at them till 30 days is up. And then i can reassess goals for the rest of my 12 weeks.

This is massive for me. I rely on the stupid scales everyday, and its dumb. I mean i don't take measurements everyday, so why the hell do i jump on the scale everyday. SILLY!!! So away it went, along with the attachement to it. Tomrorow will be the real test, and i am determined to make it through the day without jumping on the scale.

So today food is changing slighty, i've been feeling too full by the end of the day, so i'm reducing my portions, and snacks.

• lunch- bone broth, turkey, green vegies (basil, chives, kale, boky choy), coconut oil, vitamin and minerals drink.
  • dinner- bone broth, turkey meat with green vegies (boky choy, leek, basil, chives, kale), onion, coconut oil.
  • PWO- egg whiles, tahini, cinnamon, sweet potato, cinamon

I'm also in the process of making almond, coconut milk. I've placed almonds in coconut milk and let them soak for 24hours. I'll then put them in the food processor and then through a cheesecloth. I'm soo excited too see if this works. I'm not using the milk as a Paleo-fied food cos i don't drink milk usually. I'm making it to add to my post workout meals, as i feel they need a little more kick.

This is only day 4, hehe got a little ahead of myself...

That milk sounds delicous!

Well done, the cupboard is the best place for the scales!

Thanks Derval, but unfortunatley the milk didn't work out. So i've put some more water in it, and i'll try and save it tonight, hahah otherwise i may have to freeze the almonds into a mixture that i can add to cake mixes later on.

I feel soo empowered now, i didn't step on the scale today. And i feel good about it. One day at a time, but soo far soo good :D

Day 5 and 6...

Sooo not doing so well. I'm sticking to whole30 foods, but i'm not eating 3 meals a day :( This makes me sad.I'm snacking more than i want to, and more than necessary.

I'm eating enough protein, and more than enough fats, and im not eating any fruits or nuts. I just can't stop snacking. Eurgh, must try better tomorrow.

Not going to list the foods i've eaten as i can't remember.

Things to work on in the next 7 days:

• More sleep, need to hit at least 7-8 hours
  • Need to only eat three meals a day, and one pre/post workout meal
  • Need to distract myself when i get bored, so i don't snack
  • Will not buy coconut milk as this is a weakness

I'll try much better tomorrow....

Day 7

I'm feeling a little down about my whole30 experience this time. Things aren't going as easy as they did the first time. I'm not experiencing any of the massive changes i felt the first time. I'm breaking out, and have been for the last 7 days. I still feel bloated. I guess i was expecting great things, cos i did on the first run. Oh well stick it out for the next 7 weeks, and see whether things get better.

Food was:

• breakfast sushi (seaweed, zucchini, lettuce, avocado, tomato, beef, tomato paste and coconut cream), bone broth, and grilled vegies
  • green vegies salad, with pecan nuts
  • beef salad, with pecan nuts, sweet potato
  • snacks- cocunut cream with pecan nuts and sweet potato.

I'm getting enough water in both natural form and in pepermint tea. I'm not drinking much caffienated teas. So i don't know what gives. Though for some reason TOM has decided to come, not even on schedule, i only had it 2 weeks ago. Maybe that has something to do with it.

This week i am going to focus on my sleep, and ensure i get 7-8hours, perhaps that was the problem for the last 7 days.

Day 8.......

Feeling slightly better today, though still have bloated tummy, and still feeling down about the whole experience. I am working on getting more carbs into my diet, perhaps that will help with the mood.

I got more sleep, which is awesome. Ended the night in the 7th hour, which is about 1-1.5hours more than last week, which is great. And i'm hoping to see improvements from here on in.........

• Chicken and green vegies cooked in coconut oil
  • Chicken and green vegies salad
  • Dinner sushi (seaweed, zucchini, lettuce,, beef, tomato paste and tahini),green vegies salal
  • snacks- pecan nuts, blueberries, and sweet potato
  • PWO- egg white omlette with sweet potato, unsweetned cocoa

(please note i post entries the following day)

Day 9

Just a little check in to say i'm feeling 90% better today. Whilst i still feel a little bloated, i feel more energetic and brighter. This could be the resutl of a little more than 7.5hours sleep, YAY!! And i'll be aiming for more again tonight.

I've rearranged my gym schedule to allow to be in bed no later than 9.30pm and awake no earlier than 5am, this will provide at minimum 7.5hours sleep. Which isn't ideal, but its a step in the right direction.

SO YAY to me :D small victory.

The rest of day 9 went well. I had a dip in energy around 4-6pm but once i got to the gym around 6.45pm it left and i was able to get on with my workout.

Food:

• Chicken and green vegies salad, with avocado
  • Dinner sushi (seaweed, zucchini, lettuce,, beef, tomato paste and tahini),green vegies salad
  • snacks- pecan nuts, blueberries, and avocado

Manageed to get to bed around 9.30pm. Which works out ok. I'm going to try and get to bed by 9pm, but its a little tough when i'm soo buzzed after the gym. but will def try harder.

Day 10

Felt like i was walking on air all day. I ate well, i drank more than enough water. I had a great session at the gym, than going to bed, BAM cried my eyes out. Depression hit and hit hard.

I'm not sure whether its this eating or my hormones from stopping taking the pill. or a combination of both, but i don't like it. My period is soo heavy and is showing no signs of slowing down. i just don't get it.

• Dinner sushi (seaweed, zucchini, lettuce,, beef, tomato paste and tahini),green vegies salad
  • snacks- pecan nuts, blueberries,

Went to bed at 9.30 again, and up at 5am so 7.5hours. We'll keep trying for 8 in the next few days.

Day 11

I've not bee in high spirits today. I decided to go off my BC pill at the start of the week. Its now been 4 days without. I am currently experiencing the heaviest flow i've had to date. In the past they would last 2-3 days and be super light. But this one is like none other. I feel soo uncomfortable and gross.

Then last night at the blink of an eye, i started crying, for no reason at all. And then of course i started creating all these negative reasons of why i should be crying, "i'm fat", "why doesn't anybody love me", "i hate my job" you know Bridget jones material.

Then i dream about detrailing, and ruining my whole30 by eating cherry ice cream. And i tell you in my dreams i felt sooo guilty, i even felt like i had ruined my whole30 when i woke up.

Today i feel sooo down, i feel like quiting. All i can think about is European chocolate (i came back from a european holiday about 4 weeks ago, chocolate was AMAZING) and how much i want to eat my weight in it.

Anyways, so i bought and apple and sprinkled it with cinamon to try and boost my mood and increase some happy hormones. I've eaten breakfast, and had a cup of pepermint tea.

After the apple my tummy is growling so loud i'm sure the people around my work bay can hear it and i can feel it moving around. I haven't eaten an apple or any fruit in over 4 weeks. I've added blueberries in this last week, but prior to that nothing.

I have since discovered i may have an issue with FODMAP's and have made the decison to stop eating anything on the avoid list, just till i can get my body into peace.

When i got home yesterday from work my blood pressure dropped soo low that i fainted. I have no clue what the hell is happening and i feel my body is rejecting my lifestyle.

Anyways got to bed around 9pm, so clocked up 8 hours, which is awesome.

• Dinner sushi (seaweed, zucchini, lettuce, tuna, tomato, avocado),green vegies salad
  • snacks- pecan nuts, blueberries, egg whites, nuts/berries mix.

Day 12.....

Not a great day. I felt better emotionally, but my body did not feel better. I almost fainted again at work. So i'm thinking i need to get my iron levels checked. I'm going to start supplementing with iron i think, cos i just cant take the light headed nauseous feelings.....

Mood and skin, and body seem great otherwise. Getting my flat tummy back which is pretty exciting...

• Dinner sushi (seaweed, zucchini, lettuce, tuna, tomato, avocado),baked vegies,
  • snacks- pecan nuts, blueberries, egg whites, dates/almonds

Bed at 9pm and up at 6am, good sleep....

Day 13-14

I've decided to start supplmenting with iron, as i feel the reasons i'm soo light headed and nauseous is due to low iron levels. I used to be anaoemic, but i got it under control, well so i thought.

Food was good over the weekend, though no set 3 meals, it was more crazing, and i know i need to work on that.

Sleep was great. Clocked over 7hours each night.

Day 15, Half way. WHOOOOO HOOOOO

Reading back through my last log. I'm shocked at how amazing i felt on day 15-16. Sadly i'm not at the same place i was last time. I'm still eating compliantly, but my energy isn't buzzing, and by 5pm i'm super dead. Though i did last night have a great weights session with my brother. He really helped to push me. Which i loved.

I guess i'm just hanging out waiting for this tiger blood to come about. It will come i'm sure, i've just got to hang in there.

Also i noticed in my last log that on day 15 i decided no more coconut cream, and silly me should have listened to that, because today i'm saying the same. And the only nuts i can consume without feeling lousy, are pecans. So i'm cutting all nuts out too. I'm determined to feel as great as i did last time...........

Sleep was 7+ hours, and food was all in check.

• Chicken and green salad
  • Dinner sushi (seaweed, zucchini, lettuce, tuna, tomato, avocado)
  • PWO- egg whites, sweet potato

Day 16

No tiger blood here yet. And still tired each afternoon. Though i have noticed my gym workouts getting a little stonger, both in the morning and in the evening. Which is awesome. I'm feeling really happy with that. My clothes aren't fitting better, and my tummy is still bloated. But i'm determined to stick with it.

Whilst i may not get the results i wanted from 30 days. I am committed to sticking with it until i get the results i want. And i have the 12 week challenge going on. So i'm ok with sticking with Whole30 until then. Maybe have a slight paleofied dessert at xmas and a wine with my family on xmas day. But thats it......

I want this soo much!!!!

Day 17.

I don't know whats going on with me. i don't feel tiger blood, i don't feel light, i dont feel anything except irritable and down :(

Why isn't it working fo rme this time???

I still managed a good session in the gym, but my body isn't reflecting those results :mellow: Strange.......

I do kinda feel like giving in :o i know my friend is getting such great results, i just don't know what is wrong with me.

Day 17 and 18

Still feeling rough, and down that nothing amazing is happening this time round :(

I have a wedding this weekend. So i have packed some food to take with me incase the main meal is not whole30 compliant. I'll eat the protein, and check out what the vegies are like. Its not ideal, but i am celiac and lactose intolerant. So i should get something close to whole30 to eat. Otherwise i found in the baby section of the supermarket. They make baby food that is organic and only has the vegies in it. So i got some sweet potato, apple, carrot and pumpkin ones. They taste pretty good, and with no nasties in them, they make a great little fill in snack. And they come in little pouches that i can easily put in my purse. So i'm all set to not ruin my whole30.

I've also decided that i'm going to remove any 'moreish' foods that tempt me to overeat. That list includes:

• all nuts, nut butters, any nuts of any kind, are not allowed in my house. i guess except what my brother brings in :rolleyes: but thats his food.
  • all coconut products except coconut oil and flakes. So no coconut creams, or milks.
  • no dried fruit.

The way i'm feeling lately, bloated, down, sad, i know is a result of my bc. I"m eating right, i'm working out right, i'm doing it all by the books, and i'm not gettting any results. Its not really fair, but i'm blaming the bc for now. And from today when i cut out all the things listed above if i don't feel somewhat different by 30 days. i guess i'll have to start again, and try and try again to reach that happy place i used to be at :(

I've also got a killer headache today, not sure why. But i've drank plenty of water. Guess i'll just keep fighting on...... The one thing i'd love to do right now is curl up in bed and drown in my pillows and sleep the day away :( sadly i must stay at work and fight back the feelings of sadness and embarrassement for the way my body looks at the moment.

• Tuna and green salad, coconut flakes
  • Veal and green vegies salad, with avocado, sweet potato, coconut flakes
  • snacks- blueberries, sweet potato
  • PWO- egg whites, sweet potato, banana

Wow Ra (Bec?), you are having a rouigh time. Its very motivating for others though that you are persisting. I am just starting today. I have fodmap and dairy issues and have been paleo for a few months but like you, too reliant on nuts and fruits and snacking! I am going to chuck some thoughts at you in case they help based on my experiences since we have some similarities. Most nuts are medium fodmap, best ones to have are walnuts(not pecans) and brazil nuts, worst are pistachiops and almonds. Dates are often a problem. I seem okay with blueberries and also strawberries. Avocado can be really bad for bloating and general unwellness (fodmap polyol). I have retried it a number of times but no success. Coconut flakes and flour etc are harder to tolerate (due to the fibre) but coconut cream seems better. Without nuts and avocado you might need the coconut milk. Maybe buy the small cans and limit to one a day? I have added ghee now for cooking for extra fat. Eggs are really beneficial too -can you try whole eggs for awhile and see if that helps?!Lemon juice in the mornings is good for aiding your digestion. If you are carb sensitive it can take three weeks for your body to readjust to the reduction in fruit. My womens issues and skin issues improved DRAMATICALLY when I increased/added saturated fat! Beef or ruminant meat is so much better nutrient wise than chicken. I have started having lean mince with grated carrot and zucchini for breakfast. Good luck, hope you fgeel better soon!

Hi Juzbo :)

Thanks for your suggestions. I love them. Though i find the things you listed are the things that set me off :(

Brazil nuts don't sit well for me at all. And Coconut milk is also a no go. Not sure why, but both those two set me off. I also don't eat any fruit, and have since decided not to eat blueberries for the next week. Although post workout i have added a half banana to my egg whites.

Whole eggs don't sit well either. So maybe i don't have FODMAP :mellow: Lemon juice in the morning is a great idea, thank you. I will definitley give that a try, i do love it with ginger and hot water, as a tea.

I have since posting those last messages discovered that i have more issues going on than stopping BC and FODMAP. I have signs of depresssion. A friend approached me on the weekend concerned. And after dicussing things with her, i've made an appointment with my councilor. Depression runns deep in my family, and i never thought i had it. I firstly went to the councilor to help me better undertand depression so i could deal with my brother. But since finishing my sessions with her, i felt happy for the first 6 months, but in the last 6 months, i've lost the ability to feel. i don't feel sad, i dont feel happy, i just don't feel. And this isn't right.

Thankfully for great friends and a few great strangers from another social media site i participate in, taking the time to check i'm ok. I've decided i'm not ok, and its time to get ok. Not just ok, but get happy again.

So the whole30 is continuing, and i'm finishing out my 30days, as planned. I finish on my bday, so i will have a meal out, probably still whole30, and i may have a piece of gluten/grain/dairy free cake, a lady at work is making. But then the very next day, i'm continuing on my path to health and happiness.

I'm not sure i'm going to blog or track my food here anymore, cos my whole30 experience is not one that is by the book. And i don't want to give people reading this the wrong idea, that whole30 doesn't work. Cos is does, and it has on me previously.

So maybe i'll check in occasionally. Just post my progress. but i need to heal me on the inside first :P

I think your experience is helpful to others. I, for one, am impressed by your determination through difficult and discouraging moments/days. Everyone's journey is different, and it's a whole lot easier to post the happy shiny "textbook" parts, but there are probably lots of lurkers out there who are going through similar struggles. I hope you hang in there til it gets better (because you know it will).

Thanks Ann :) and after reading your message i decided to take take some measurements. Just for curiostity sake, i know thats not what the whole30 is about. Anyways since 22nd October i have lost a total of 22.5cm :o I am in utter shock. I dont have the flat tummy i had last time, i don't have the tiger blood i had last time, i don't have the perfect skin, and i didn't have the weight loss. But dammit i lost almost a ruler length off my body, and thats freaking awesome :D

So i didn't have a textbook whole30, but i did have results B)

Thanks Juzbo :) not sure how my gall bladder is. How do i find this out??? I do have bad digestion, i know that. And i have slight Candida on my tongue. So maybe it has something to do with it. I feel better that i have identified my depression before it turned into something worse. So i have my first session tomorrow, and maybe a few touch up sessions is all i need. Lets hope thats all it takes :)

Archived